Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkys rom on Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Hecklar wrote: »
    I'm the same, I dont buy all the claims. I have to say though, after changing the wifi sleep policy to where its supposed to be, the phone went from 10-16hr battery life to about 3 days with only a few short bursts of charge when copying stuff over by usb. that said it doesnt get mental usage so id imagine you'd get a day and a half, two days with plenty of use.

Best I got was 36 hours.Havn't got that since. Did the wi fi sleep thing as Hecklar said. I'm getting one good day now. No point in not charging it at night even if it's still at 30-40%,wont be much good in the morning.So I charge it everynight, and it's good for the next day, all day. At weekends I let it run down and then give it a full charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Ghandee wrote: »
    Where is it supposed to be?
    I reckon the folk claiming to get five days battery are full of it too!
    Of course, if your not using the phone (therefor not using the battery) you'd get aaages out of the battery, but if your not gonna use the phone, why charge it, hell, why even buy one in the first place?

I'm very, very lucky if I get 12-16 hrs from mine. Use sat nav 20 mins or so, fb and light web use, and the odd call.

On 9.3, voodoo activated, and black android theme.

Sorry, didn't make it very clear earlier. It should be set to "turn off when screen off". Its set to "never" as default in darkys for some reason.
    changing just that will make a big difference.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

The "never" option is the best, how hard is it to turn it on/off when ever you need it?
    When its "off when screen is off" then every time you turn in on it turns on, you don`t need it to turn on every time you do that.
    I left my wifi on last night and I lost just over 40% in 10 hours, no back round data or 3g/2g, just wifi.
    The night before I turned everything off just left the phone idle, did`nt put it in airplane mode and I lost 3% in 7 hours, so my wifi does drain my battery but if I just turn it on when I need it I`ll get about 3 days, everyone elses use of course will be different.

lewis wrote: »
    The "never" option is the best, how hard is it to turn it on/off when ever you need it?
    When its "off when screen is off" then every time you turn in on it turns on, you don`t need it to turn on every time you do that.
    I left my wifi on last night and I lost just over 40% in 10 hours, no back round data or 3g/2g, just wifi.
    The night before I turned everything off just left the phone idle, did`nt put it in airplane mode and I lost 3% in 7 hours, so my wifi does drain my battery but if I just turn it on when I need it I`ll get about 3 days, everyone elses use of course will be different.

That's not quite accurate.
    when you set it to turn off when screen off, it still connects but doesn't keep refreshing for a newer signal.
    plus, its very easy to forget to turn it off and as you know, it chews through you battery.

If "turn off when screen is off" was wrong then the phone wouldn't come like that as standard. Every android phone over used is set like this from the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Darkys 10b3 is out with many cavats

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/gingerbread-v10-0-beta-3.1665/

includes a video. As much as there is an itch inside me to upgrade I fail to see the point. Darky has already made 9.3 absolutely amazing, with most of the features that gingerbread has when it comes to theme etc. I'll be waiting for a stable version before reflashing. Maybe he'll even get it to be able to upgrade through a CWM flash with a .zip.

• Advertisement

That's not quite accurate.
    when you set it to turn off when screen off, it still connects but doesn't keep refreshing for a newer signal.
    plus, its very easy to forget to turn it off and as you know, it chews through you battery.

If "turn off when screen is off" was wrong then the phone wouldn't come like that as standard. Every android phone over used is set like this from the factory.

Well accurate or not, I still think its the best option, if you forget well that`s your problem, wifi on for me does eat the hell out of my battery, but when I`m done with it and turn it off, I get great life out of my phone.
    To each his own, :)

My point being though, you shouldn't have to alter the setting of a phone every time you wanna stick it in your pocket. it should be as simple as, lock, stick in pocket, forget about it.

but with selecting "never" you'll always have to keep disabling wifi and be sure to remember it. Saying "if you forget well thats your problem" is a little harsh when all you want to do is have your phone last a reasonable amount of time on a full charge without having to consciously adjust it every time you put it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

9.4 stable has been released
    http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/v9-4-stable.1672/

It'll suprise you all to find out that Darky is only 18yo and still in school :eek:
    He sure knows how to make a rom better than Samsung, no way I'd ever go back to a crappy Samsung rom now

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    9.4 stable has been released
    http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/v9-4-stable.1672/

It'll suprise you all to find out that Darky is only 18yo and still in school :eek:
    He sure knows how to make a rom better than Samsung, no way I'd ever go back to a crappy Samsung rom now

And the common belief is that Darky is female. The pic on his profile etc is his gf.
    Good interview here

I have an audio interview somewhere from a while back too Ill dig it out. Clever guy.

budgemook wrote: »
    ok it's working now. feckin contacts don't have their facebook photos beside them anymore :(

And how long did those eyes blink at you? Mine is going for about 15 min now so slightly worried!

EDIT - a reboot sorted that out, phew :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Downloading 9.4 now.

For anyone that updated can you comment on battery life?

I plan to flash on 100% battery but should I wipe the stats before then or after? Should I leave the phone charging while flashing?

Ideally I'd prefer not to wipe but has anyone had any issues?

I'm getting very poor battery life at the moment on 9.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭shmeee

Downloading 9.4 now.

For anyone that updated can you comment on battery life?

I plan to flash on 100% battery but should I wipe the stats before then or after? Should I leave the phone charging while flashing?

Ideally I'd prefer not to wipe but has anyone had any issues?

I'm getting very poor battery life at the moment on 9.3.

Downloading 9.4 myself now too..

What way would I go about flashing, I never upgraded before, so I take it I go to the Darky Rom Config App, select the settings I want (I am not going to do a wipe), then do I select the "zip and flash" option from within the Darky Rom Config or go into recovery mode and flash the zip file from there?...

shmeee wrote: »
    Downloading 9.4 myself now too..

What way would I go about flashing, I never upgraded before, so I take it I go to the Darky Rom Config App, select the settings I want (I am not going to do a wipe), then do I select the "zip and flash" option from within the Darky Rom Config or go into recovery mode and flash the zip file from there?...

That would appear to be the easiest way to go about it yeah. I've been using the CWM method but the Configurator app would appear to be easier again.

That would appear to be the easiest way to go about it yeah. I've been using the CWM method but the Configurator app would appear to be easier again.

Thank you...

From reading the xda and darky's forum, 9.4 is getting good feedback... The amount of RAM has dropped it seems to 304 from 339, but as Darky said there is more free RAM available so it's more stable... And better battery life again they say...

Where you having battery issues with 9.3?..

I found battery life very good...

I could get 2 days out of it, and after a nights charge, going to bed the following night it does be around 45%.... Might go dead late the following evening only after a heavy 2nd day use though...

shmeee wrote: »
    Thank you...

From reading the xda and darky's forum, 9.4 is getting good feedback... The amount of RAM has dropped it seems to 304 from 339, but as Darky said there is more free RAM available so it's more stable... And better battery life again they say...

Where you having battery issues with 9.3?..

I found battery life very good...

I could get 2 days out of it, and after a nights charge, going to bed the following night it does be around 45%.... Might go dead late the following evening only after a heavy 2nd day use though...

Yup, today for example I'm on 51% after 6hr 19min unplugged, very very light usage, some browsing and receiving texts.

I've never gotten the hang of the battery stats game though so it's probably my own fault. Hopefully someone can come back with answers to my earlier post.

Yup, today for example I'm on 51% after 6hr 19min unplugged, very very light usage, some browsing and receiving texts.

I've never gotten the hang of the battery stats game though so it's probably my own fault. Hopefully someone can come back with answers to my earlier post.

They say your to flash on a 100%... And I ain't to sure on leaving it charging while flashing...

You prob know all about calibrating your battery but here's the info if you don't.... I followed that method anyway and it took a few cycle's to notice the difference...

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-how-to-calibrate-your-battery.321/

My point being though, you shouldn't have to alter the setting of a phone every time you wanna stick it in your pocket. it should be as simple as, lock, stick in pocket, forget about it.

but with selecting "never" you'll always have to keep disabling wifi and be sure to remember it. Saying "if you forget well thats your problem" is a little harsh when all you want to do is have your phone last a reasonable amount of time on a full charge without having to consciously adjust it every time you put it away.

I know you should`nt have to man, but the fact of the matter is the phone can handle it but the battery can`t, its just ****, there`s more complaints about battery drain than anything else I`ve seen.

How hard is it to turn off wifi or anything else when your done? Not that hard, do you leave your laptop/tv/games console on when your finished with it...

To compare which would be the longer battery life,1) leave everything on, 2)turn everything off when done, option 2) is the winner, weather you like it of not!
    I`d love it not to be the case, but sadly it ain`t, these are smart phones but there not that smart..:(

Just upgraded to 9.4. Have to say I wasnt expecting that! I thought 10.0 would be the next release considering there was a beta out and all. Still wont upgrade til it's stable.

As for 9.4 I didnt wipe but battery life seems to be as good as 9.3 (according to JuicePlotter). It's hard to tell but I think I'll be able to get 2 days out of it. I'll probably still charge every night in case i need it more the second day but nice to know.

Just prepared myself to do a full wipe install of 9.4, everything backed up. I'll report how I get on later

Just upgraded to 9.4. Have to say I wasnt expecting that! I thought 10.0 would be the next release considering there was a beta out and all. Still wont upgrade til it's stable.

As for 9.4 I didnt wipe but battery life seems to be as good as 9.3 (according to JuicePlotter). It's hard to tell but I think I'll be able to get 2 days out of it. I'll probably still charge every night in case i need it more the second day but nice to know.

Did you install 9.4 via Darkys Rom Config or from CWM through recovery?...

• Advertisement

They are the same AFAIK. Darkys config just sets the settings for when you restart into CWM.

So just loaded the zip file, restarted into recovery and installed that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Lads, upgraded to 9.4 last night, and so far the battery life looks very promising. Been on the go since 7 am, few phone calls, had to use sat nav a bit (in the wilds of Offaly atm) and bit of browsing, batteries currently at 87%¡

Previously it would have more than likely have been around the 60 percent mark give our take!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

On stock 2.2, what does this wipe?
    Does it change the EXT4 on the external card too I mean or can I move my apps there and pop it out?

Or should I just wait for version 10?
    Seems like it's updated often, don't want to be flashing/backing up evey week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Upgraded from 9.3 to 9.4 this morning. No major changes but my battery has definetly improved. 9.3 was draining in no time. Phone has been unplugged since 10 this morning, done a bit of light browsing, sent a few texts and made one short call. The battery is at 73% which is not bad considering it would have been on about 20-30% on 9.3.

No problems installing 9.4. I did a full wipe like Darky recommends. I've all the same apps and widgets back on there now and its definitely much faster, although I didn't wipe when I went from 9.1 to 9.2, or from 9.2 to 9.3 so it probably needed a wipe, it had probably slowed.

There's a very slight glitch now in the first black and white Samsung Galaxy screen you see when booting, but I've read that others have it as well with 9.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

hi guys im just about to install 9.4 to my stock 2.2 sgs ive never done anything like this before although im great with pc,s but thought I would run this by you guys first

1.so ive downloaded the file and its save to mnt card

2.Ive also downloaded the app darkyrom config

3.im charging the phone to full first

4so first step is to put the phone into recovery mode by pressing volume up, power and home at the same time

5.next select wipe data factory reset.(this is where im unsure because i read you dont have to)

6.Select: install zip from sdcard

7.Select: choose zip from sdcard

8Now choose the zip file (Darkys_v9.4_Extreme_Edition.zip) and select after that: YES

9after installing select go back and reboot the phone

is this the right process or will I brick my phone lol any help apreciated because I want to do this within the next hour cheers

Thats it superfish, Get the following and backup to your sd before you start:
    Sms backup, apn backup, call logs backup, titanium backup (for apps and app data, will need root)

Thats it superfish, Get the following and backup to your sd before you start:
    Sms backup, apn backup, call logs backup, titanium backup (for apps and app data, will need root)
    thanks a mil buddy I was so unsure I was almost going to back out of doing it, my removable sd only has 0.90gb left on it will this be enough and if I dont back it up does that mean i lose all apps and phone numbers ? cheers for your help I really appreciate it :D

You'll not lose phone numbers. Best tip you'll ever get is to get all your contacts saved as google contacts, then stop saving to sim and phone, can delete them.

The sms and call backup apps will save your call logs and texts, you can then restore them when 9.4 is installed. Titanium will backup all apps and their settings, you can then reinstall them from sd with their settings as they were before

• Advertisement

You'll not lose phone numbers. Best tip you'll ever get is to get all your contacts saved as google contacts, then stop saving to sim and phone, can delete them.

The sms and call backup apps will save your call logs and texts, you can then restore them when 9.4 is installed. Titanium will backup all apps and their settings, you can then reinstall them from sd with their settings as they were before
    great tip ive them all installed and saved to my removable sd apart from titanium cas im unsure of how to root my phone and dont want to either as this is enough for one day lol so Im going to take out the sd card before I install 9.4 then put it back in when its fully installed as ive saved most of my apps on it too. il let you know how I get on, ive only seen 9.4 on you tube and it looks really nice plus this 2.2 is getting laggy and im only getting a day battery life even with juice defender so hopefully this will end my problems

Advertisement