Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkys rom on Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

links not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

MidlandsM wrote: »
    links not working.
    Oops! Fixed now , sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You can just use clockwork to flash it, doesn't require Odin but your phone will need to be rooted first. Just transfer the file to your internal SD, select your configuration options in Darkys Configurator and reboot to clockworkmod recovery.
    http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/v9-2-final-stable-like-a-revolution-cwm-version-big-update.560/

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You can just use clockwork to flash it, doesn't require Odin but your phone will need to be rooted first. Just transfer the file to your internal SD, select your configuration options in Darkys Configurator and reboot to clockworkmod recovery.
    http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/v9-2-final-stable-like-a-revolution-cwm-version-big-update.560/

Yes but how do yo install clockwork?

I used the method in my first post, with Odin. It rooted the phone and installed clockwork , then I transferred the file to the internal SD and used clockwork and the configurator.
    I won't have to use Odin again for anymore flashes.
    I just wanted to post a beginers guide for flashing for a stock samsung galaxy.
    If anyone has a clearer step by step Idiots guide please post it.

I've been thinking about flashing this phone for 2 months now, and this was the first guide I felt comfortable in trying.it worked perfectly for me and I'm now a total Darky fan , the phone is much slicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

if i flash my Galaxy s with darkys firmware will kies still work with my phone and if so if samsung release new firmware ie 3.0 will i be able to get the update using kies.

also does does darkys firmware install anything but the firmware on your phone.

• Advertisement

p4paddy07 wrote: »
    if i flash my Galaxy s with darkys firmware will kies still work with my phone and if so if samsung release new firmware ie 3.0 will i be able to get the update using kies.

also does does darkys firmware install anything but the firmware on your phone.

I only new to this, but I think darkys replaces the need for Kies. Keis is the programe you use on your PC to update the samsung software.
    If you want to update after you've flashed darkys you use a programe called clockworkmod which gets installed when darkys is installed.
    Anybody please correct me if I wrong.

When you install darkys your get some extra apps and a lot more control and options.check this out http://darky.ficeto.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Am i right in thinking those with the 3e showing when its in restore aren't able to do the clockworkmod installation of zip files straight up like that? I have vague memories of someone telling me thats limited to those with 2e showing? just wanna get confirmation before i take the plunge. thanks. :)

Scratch that, It worked perfectly. Use the video aswell as the darky instructions, the guy in the vid cuts out parts where hes waiting for the progress bar to finish, but hes not clear on a couple of things and the darkys instructions clear them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Once your on Darky`s you DONT need Kies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Hi Guys,

I know i'm not mr popular for asking for a guide to flash to Darkys. Thanks again for the links.

Anyway, i was hoping to flash to Darkys last night or at latest tonight. i've got the 3 button combo working using odin but everything i've read says that you should disable any lagfixes before flashing.

I'm running 2.2 rooted with OCLF. When i go into the OCLF app i no longer have the option to disable it. Is it important to disable this or is it only for those who have flashed to a different ROM.

I've posted this is the Darky Forum last night but haven't had an answer yet.

Your help is appreciated.

• Advertisement

You may not have actually installed OCLF, maybe you just installed the app?

I used OCLF myself, (it was crap before darkys though) and i was able to dissable it no probs with the OCLF app. It took a while for it to do its thing but it was as simple as pressing and leaving to do its thing.

Hecklar wrote: »
    You may not have actually installed OCLF, maybe you just installed the app?

I used OCLF myself, (it was crap before darkys though) and i was able to dissable it no probs with the OCLF app. It took a while for it to do its thing but it was as simple as pressing and leaving to do its thing.

Definitely installed it and I'm pretty sure the option was there to disable it before. Strange one. If i was to go ahead with flashing to Darky's as it is, is there any chance i could brick the phone?

Hi Guys,

I know i'm not mr popular for asking for a guide to flash to Darkys. Thanks again for the links.

Anyway, i was hoping to flash to Darkys last night or at latest tonight. i've got the 3 button combo working using odin but everything i've read says that you should disable any lagfixes before flashing.

I'm running 2.2 rooted with OCLF. When i go into the OCLF app i no longer have the option to disable it. Is it important to disable this or is it only for those who have flashed to a different ROM.

I've posted this is the Darky Forum last night but haven't had an answer yet.

Your help is appreciated.

Sorry I can't help. I flashed straight from stock samsung.
    Don't be afraid to ask. This is the place to ask such a question. There are plenty of regulars who don't mind helping beginners like you and me.

Has anyone had any problems with the battery drain on this rom? and what lagfix if any have you went with? speedmod? voodoo?

Just doing some investigating to try get the bast battery life i can,

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Sorry I can't help. I flashed straight from stock samsung.
    Don't be afraid to ask. This is the place to ask such a question. There are plenty of regulars who don't mind helping beginners like you and me.

Thanks for that. I've sorted my problem with relation to the lag fix. The battery needed to be over 40% for the option to disable the lag fix to become available.

So i should be all set to go tomorrow night(won't have time tonight). The phone will still be rooted. I don't think that is a problem, or is it? I could unroot(all a bit time consuming) but i doubt this would put me back to square one with stock. Could be wrong:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ejayb4

how common is it to brick the phones while doing this

Has anyone had any problems with the battery drain on this rom? and what lagfix if any have you went with? speedmod? voodoo?

I've noticed battery drain has increased.Not much but when it wasn't great to begin with any increase is unwelcome. I'm on voodo lagfix.
    I'm going to check out the battery calibration procedure mentioned in some other posts. I'll give it a week before I think of changing roms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

Battery life is good with 9.3 b3. I'm having no issues at all.
    The thing to do is not get too caught up with battery life......charge the battery every day. Even if you get a hour in the evening while watching telly, charge it up. Partial charges do not affect these batteries. In fact they are recommended.
    Here is an interesting article
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/12/14/your-battery-gauge-is-lying-to-you-everything-you-need-to-know-about-bump-charging-and-inconsistent-battery-drain/
    There are another couple of articles which were posted in a different thread here that I will try to dig out.
    Of course, if you can't get the day out of the battery then thats a different matter, but if you can just accept that a day is all you'll get and charge it every night. I typically get down to about 45 - 50% after a days use and charge it every night

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Ejayb4 wrote: »
    how common is it to brick the phones while doing this
    Very uncommon if instructions are correctly followed.
    The experts reckon it's almost impossible to brick the Galaxy S.

Thanks for that. I've sorted my problem with relation to the lag fix. The battery needed to be over 40% for the option to disable the lag fix to become available.

So i should be all set to go tomorrow night(won't have time tonight). The phone will still be rooted. I don't think that is a problem, or is it? I could unroot(all a bit time consuming) but i doubt this would put me back to square one with stock. Could be wrong:confused:

If I was you I would flash to 9.2 via Odin. This will root phone for you and install CWM. (I wouldn't worry about phone alreasy being rooted. I falshed on a rooted phone). Then you will be able to flash to any newer version of Darky's with CWM.
    Follow the instructions at the following link and you won't go wrong
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=940671

Before you flash a new ROM though make sure you're on 100% battery. This will ensure correct battery calibration for the new ROM. I always bump charge before upgrading ROM's.

• Advertisement

Mine is always charged every night and various times during the day it'll be connected to the computer for a while aswell. I know we cant expect days out of a battery these days will all the fancy gizmo phones, but its just about getting a single day.

has anyone used the new darkys without a lagfix at all? is it still as smooth? I might remove it later on and see if that helps the battery life. Weirdly the battery info in settings is saying the screen is using up a large portion of the battery power, even though its not actually on.
    G1032 wrote: »
    Battery life is good with 9.3 b3. I'm having no issues at all.
    The thing to do is not get too caught up with battery life......charge the battery every day. Even if you get a hour in the evening while watching telly, charge it up. Partial charges do not affect these batteries. In fact they are recommended.
    Here is an interesting article
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/12/14/your-battery-gauge-is-lying-to-you-everything-you-need-to-know-about-bump-charging-and-inconsistent-battery-drain/
    There are another couple of articles which were posted in a different thread here that I will try to dig out.
    Of course, if you can't get the day out of the battery then thats a different matter, but if you can just accept that a day is all you'll get and charge it every night. I typically get down to about 45 - 50% after a days use and charge it every night

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dots104

If I was you I would flash to 9.2 via Odin. This will root phone for you and install CWM. (I wouldn't worry about phone alreasy being rooted. I falshed on a rooted phone). Then you will be able to flash to any newer version of Darky's with CWM.

Before you flash a new ROM though make sure you're on 100% battery. This will ensure correct battery calibration for the new ROM. I always bump charge before upgrading ROM's.

complete noob question here. do i need to root the phone or by following the instructions in the link it will be done for me." Flashing the base ROM" does this substitute rooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dots104 wrote: »
    complete noob question here. do i need to root the phone or by following the instructions in the link it will be done for me." Flashing the base ROM" does this substitute rooting.

Applying any of darkys Roms will automatically root yet phone too.

Cheers. I'll have a go at this tonight. I had asked for 1 guide, now i'm looking at 3 options:D. I've narrowed it down to the above link and http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-installing-9-2-extreme-edition-shorter-method-i9000-i9000m-only.1041/.

I'm guessing that your link would be more beneficial, would it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I just installed this last night, using the tutorial posted by OP, and it all went smoothly enough. I couldn't do the 3 button power up to recovery or download modes, so I had to use Odin to enable it first, follow this guide here if you have the same issue. After that, it was relatively simple, using the video and guide posted.

The circular battery monitor app is quite cool, as you can see your remaining battery life all the time using this. It'll probably take a few days before I know if there's any extra drain, but so far it seems about normal.

It is definitely faster now, and more responsive than it was before. I have put back all my apps too, and even with all them it's still better.

Before wiping your phone, it's a good idea to use something like MyBackup Root to do a full backup, which you can then restore after putting Darky's ROM on it. Use the Galaxy S One-click-root program to get root first.

All in all, I'm impressed with it.

Cheers. I'll have a go at this tonight. I had asked for 1 guide, now i'm looking at 3 options:D. I've narrowed it down to the above link and http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-installing-9-2-extreme-edition-shorter-method-i9000-i9000m-only.1041/.

I'm guessing that your link would be more beneficial, would it:confused:

Don't know really. All I can say is that I followed this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=940671and had no trouble at all. Just make sure also that you have Odin open BEFORE you connect phone to computer.

Don't know really. All I can say is that I followed this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=940671and had no trouble at all. Just make sure also that you have Odin open BEFORE you connect phone to computer.

I've just flashed to 9.2 using the above guide. Cheers for your help. All went smoothly.

And now this:D. I assume it'll be easy to flash to this now.

And now this:D. I assume it'll be easy to flash to this now.

Yes, to upgrade is easy, just copy the rom to your internal sd, set your options in the Darksy rom configurator and use clockworkmod recovery to install it, takes 10 mins. I'm gonna try a no wipe first, some have posted that its worked fine. Worst comes to the worst I'll just flash it again and select wipe. My sms and apps backup weekly neways.

• Advertisement

Yes, to upgrade is easy, just copy the rom to your internal sd, set your options in the Darksy rom configurator and use clockworkmod recovery to install it, takes 10 mins. I'm gonna try a no wipe first, some have posted that its worked fine. Worst comes to the worst I'll just flash it again and select wipe. My sms and apps backup weekly neways.

Yeah that's simple now. cheers:)

Advertisement