Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkys rom on Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭G1032

lewis wrote: »
    If you don`t like or are not happy with 9.4, I strongly suggest you try Insanity 6.8 ROM w/ Damian kernel, for me I found it faster and bug free...

Is it 0.6.8 in post #2 at the following link?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843019

If not can you post a link please

Also, coming from 9.4 will I need to disable Voodoo Lagfix??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

G1032 wrote: »
    Is it 0.6.8 in post #2 at the following link?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843019

If not can you post a link please

Also, coming from 9.4 will I need to disable Voodoo Lagfix??

Yeah.

Always disable any lag fixes and tweaks just to be on the safe side, it takes about 10 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

If you don`t like or are not happy with 9.4, I strongly suggest you try Insanity 6.8 ROM w/ Damian kernel, for me I found it faster and bug free...

Speed has never been an issue on Darkys. 1ghz is 1ghz (for the most part).

Everythign seems to be working grand now. Batterylife to come in a day or two...

Speed has never been an issue on Darkys. 1ghz is 1ghz (for the most part).

Everythign seems to be working grand now. Batterylife to come in a day or two...

True 1ghz is 1ghz, but not if its 1.6 or with Damian 1.2, he`s working on a new one that`s 1280....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i want to uprade to darkys rom.
    i am currently on 2.2 froyo unrooted.
    i cannot connect to kies s/w on my pc. the s/w does not find my phone
    it was fine when i upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2
    any help/suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

any help/suggestions?

Forget about Kies, if you flash to Darkys you will never need it again

There's easier ways to transfer files than by usb, Get Swiftp to setup the phone as an FTP server and use Filezilla client on your pc to drag and drop the files to the phone over wifi. This is the only way to transfer files, no messing with cables and no using Samsungs stupid Kies software

PogMoThoin wrote: »

There's easier ways to transfer files than by usb, Get Swiftp to setup the phone as an FTP server and use Filezilla client on your pc to drag and drop the files to the phone over wifi. This is the only way to transfer files, no messing with cables and no using Samsungs stupid Kies software

I`ve said this to so many people but they seems to think they need Kies to do anything, use windows explorerererer!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

any help/suggestions?

I had the same problem windows does not have the drivers installed to recognize the phone I tried a few things including driver fetch until the lads here kindly saved me the leg work with this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728929

If you insist on doing it without cables I suggest using dropbox . Throw the file into a folder there, and watch it download onto your phone using the dropbox app.

Cable isnt so bad either though, especially for the large rom file which is >250mb.

If you insist on doing it without cables I suggest using dropbox . Throw the file into a folder there, and watch it download onto your phone using the dropbox app.

Cable isnt so bad either though, especially for the large rom file which is >250mb.

Yes but then you gotta copy or move the file from your dropbox folder to your sd card (in the case of a new rom), with ftp you put it where you want it, copy it once. ;)

I also use dropbox for some things, but for multiple files or big files like roms I use ftp

• Advertisement

Yes but then you gotta copy or move the file from your dropbox folder to your sd card (in the case of a new rom), with ftp you put it where you want it, copy it once. ;)

I also use dropbox for some things, but for multiple files or big files like roms I use ftp

Yeah like I said, dropbox isnt really suitable for big files but for like a apk or images it's grand. Honestly, I just wanted my referral link out there. :-P

just about to set up ftp I also use drop box but thought il gove this a go, has anyone noticed with 9.4 when you charge your phone it will say 100% but as soon as you unplug it goes straight down to 97% or is it just me lol

superfish wrote: »
    just about to set up ftp I also use drop box but thought il gove this a go, has anyone noticed with 9.4 when you charge your phone it will say 100% but as soon as you unplug it goes straight down to 97% or is it just me lol

Thats normal and not exclusive to a Darky's ROM. It's a safety feature I think to prevent overcharging of the battery

G1032 wrote: »
    Thats normal and not exclusive to a Darky's ROM. It's a safety feature I think to prevent overcharging of the battery

Agreed. If you have juiceplotter, you'll be able to see that battery usage will plateau not long after so it's all fine.

has anyone noticed with 9.4 when you charge your phone it will say 100% but as soon as you unplug it goes straight down to 97% or is it just me lol

Read this:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/12/14/your-battery-gauge-is-lying-to-you-everything-you-need-to-know-about-bump-charging-and-inconsistent-battery-drain/

very clever stuff to be honest I wont be bump charging myself as my battery life is not too bad although saying that final fantasy 1 is eating power at the moment ha ha I really have to put this dam phone down and go out and enjoy the sun :pac:

I`ve said this to so many people but they seems to think they need Kies to do anything, use windows explorerererer!!!!

sorry i thought u need to be connected to kies while upgrading to darkys. i will just dump the file into my sdcard then.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

sorry i thought u need to be connected to kies while upgrading to darkys. i will just dump the file into my sdcard then.

If you're starting from stock samsung you need to follow the instructions in the 1st post in this thread.You can upgrade to 9.4 very easily once you have this done.

Read the instructions then read them again! watch the video, then read the instructions again .The video is a guide if in doubt stick to the instructions.
    Print them because you're going to need your computer.
    You'll be using a program called Odin to flash the phone the first time. After that you won't need it again.But your computer must be able to connect to the phone, so you'll need the driver for this.
    Superfish posted this:
    I had the same problem windows does not have the drivers installed to recognize the phone I tried a few things including driver fetch until the lads here kindly saved me the leg work with this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728929
    Let us know how you get on, there's always somebody on here who can help if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    If you're starting from stock samsung you need to follow the instructions in the 1st post in this thread.You can upgrade to 9.4 very easily once you have this done.

Read the instructions then read them again! watch the video, then read the instructions again .The video is a guide if in doubt stick to the instructions.
    Print them because you're going to need your computer.
    You'll be using a program called Odin to flash the phone the first time. After that you won't need it again.But your computer must be able to connect to the phone, so you'll need the driver for this.
    Superfish posted this:

Let us know how you get on, there's always somebody on here who can help if you need it.

Correct...

I followed the instructions and video from the first page and I did not have any problems at all...

Instead of installing 9.2 onto your phone, just swap that with 9.4 file and away ya go once the base rom is installed... So don't even install 9.2 as the instructions say, install the 9.4 file instead, it's only a different file your installing is all....

I couldn't believe how easy is was...

Hopefully you will be able to get into recovery mode, as a friend of mine had a problem getting into it, and also getting into CWM once the base rom was installed... Both of their phones were newer phones than mine...

Plenty of lads here to help if you get stuck....

shmeee wrote: »
    Correct...

I followed the instructions and video from the first page and I did not have any problems at all...

Instead of installing 9.2 onto your phone, just swap that with 9.4 file and away ya go once the base rom is installed... So don't even install 9.2 as the instructions say, install the 9.4 file instead, it's only a different file your installing is all....

I couldn't believe how easy is was...

Hopefully you will be able to get into recovery mode, as a friend of mine had a problem getting into it, and also getting into CWM once the base rom was installed... Both of their phones were newer phones than mine...

Plenty of lads here to help if you get stuck....
    thats good to know about putting 9.4 file straight on because im going to do this to my girlfriends phone in a while

• Advertisement

just enabled the voodoo lag fix (totally **** myself when the woman robot voice came on during the reboot) I used quadrant before and after to test it before I was just below the nexus1 2,2 now im at the top of the list cant beleave this phone is better tan any other including the moto droid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Can't seem to reinstall some of my apps after installing DR 9.4 (getting error -18 msg), even after clearing the Market app cache and uninstalling the updates, anyone else have that problem?

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Can't seem to reinstall some of my apps after installing DR 9.4 (getting error -18 msg), even after clearing the Market app cache and uninstalling the updates, anyone else have that problem?

Unmount your sd card, install them then mount again, its a known bug

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

On 9.4 my call recording was giving problems, if I tried to use it the keypad froze.
    I found this fix and it worked a treat. Just download the zip file and flash it like you would a Rom. No need to wipe. It overwrites the call recording app with an older one that works.

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/mod-stock-call-recording.952/page-2#post-9146

This is the file:
    http://db.tt/q0sfueP

If you want to wait I'm sure this and all the other little problems will all be fixed when he brings out 9.4.1

Lewis
    Flashed 0.6.9 earlier. Definitely faster and smoother than Darky's. No question about it. Only snag for me is that Launcher Pro is the default launcher program..........any time i've had that installed before I've had random shutdowns. But maybe it used to clash with TWLauncher or something. Anyway I'm all set up on LP and if I have an issue with it I'll swith back to ADW. Early days yet, but I can't see me going back to Darky's after seeing how fast and smooth Insanity is. Absolutely pure class. Thanks for pointing it out...........

shmeee wrote: »
    Correct...

which step should we replace 9.4 with 9.2?
    is it this one?
    4. Copy the file resurrection.zip (extracted from the ROM's .zip file you downloaded at the start) to your internal sd-card.

and what should i replace this with? is it Darkys_v9.4_Extreme_Edition.zip as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭budgemook

everyone is saying you need Odin for first time flash.

This link says different:

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads%2Fguide-installing-darkys-rom-on-2-1-eclair-stock-i9000-i9000m-only.1326%2F

does it just apply to 2.1 or something?

budgemook wrote: »
    everyone is saying you need Odin for first time flash.

This link says different:

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads%2Fguide-installing-darkys-rom-on-2-1-eclair-stock-i9000-i9000m-only.1326%2F

does it just apply to 2.1 or something?

Yes, with 2.2 you get 3e recovery which will not allow clockworkmod recovery to install as normal with the update.zip, this is how you do it if you have 3e:
    http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-install-clockworkmod-recovery-on-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭budgemook

Yes, with 2.2 you get 3e recovery which will not allow clockworkmod recovery to install as normal with the update.zip, this is how you do it if you have 3e:
    http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-install-clockworkmod-recovery-on-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000/

am on 9.3,

just telling people how to do it so for 2.1 people i am sending that guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

which step should we replace 9.4 with 9.2?
    is it this one?
    4. Copy the file resurrection.zip (extracted from the ROM's .zip file you downloaded at the start) to your internal sd-card.

and what should i replace this with? is it Darkys_v9.4_Extreme_Edition.zip as a whole?

Yes that would be right...

Ya the whole 9.4 file as available @ http://www.multiupload.com/FEPWSRSGGG

Advertisement