Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Less than 2 minutes
    Everyone will have their own way of doing a 1k or 2k, depending on how mentally tough they are, and how accustomed to the pain of endurance sport. To be honest, if you are inexperienced, trial and error will eventually show you what works best for you.

But there are two facts that hold for everyone in every piece, whether rowing, running, swimming etc.

1: You need to come down to your race pace - so a few good hard strokes (or strides if you are running) at the very start to give yourself something to come down to - a race pace that feels comfortable

2 (and most important): You must go through half way in good shape. Starting at a measured pace (albeit still racy), and speeding up in the 2nd half (leaving some juice for a fast finish) will always give you a faster average time that starting off like the clappers and slowing down in the 2nd half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Merlin5545

hi guys,,,
    Yes,you are right i observe it too.A lot of people likely hit the rower as part of their training.As i am in the beginner level of the training so it takes me more than 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    1m40-1m41 IMO mate.

I gave it a shot today with 1 minute breaks and I didn't make it.

1:38 - 1:38 - 1:42 - 1:48 - 2:05 (:o)

I don't know if I should try it next time with a 1m 30sec breaks or up the 500m times to 1:42?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Less than 2 minutes
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    I gave it a shot today with 1 minute breaks and I didn't make it.

1:38 - 1:38 - 1:42 - 1:48 - 2:05 (:o)

I don't know if I should try it next time with a 1m 30sec breaks or up the 500m times to 1:42?

You are going off too hard. That's why you do these-to learn your pace! That was a lesson for u. Do the next at maybe 1.42 or 1.43 and try to keep them consistent. You need to find a starting point then build on it. Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep the same rest but change your pace-it is more effective to work on upping your pace than reducing your rest

5x500 sounds easy, and the first one feels easy. But as you now know, it isn't! Don't get too excited on the first one or two because you feel good-you will pay for it later.

Then you can build it up to 10x500m. Now that is pain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    steve9859 wrote: »
    You are going off too hard. That's why you do these-to learn your pace! That was a lesson for u. Do the next at maybe 1.42 or 1.43 and try to keep them consistent. You need to find a starting point then build on it. Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep the same rest but change your pace-it is more effective to work on upping your pace than reducing your rest

5x500 sounds easy, and the first one feels easy. But as you now know, it isn't! Don't get too excited on the first one or two because you feel good-you will pay for it later.

You're right, the first one felt easy and then the next one was harder but not to bad, then I just kept fading. I' stick to 1:42 next time and see how that goes. I'm still feeling it now! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

steve9859 wrote: »

I'm absolutely loving the 500m sprints! Soo much less arduous than the 1000ms and you get to 500 in no time at all!!

So here's what I did today. My best 1k time so far is 4:21.

Split 1: 2:11
    Split 2: 2:13
    Split 3: 2:11
    Split 4: 2:15
    Split 5: 2:11

About 2 mins rest in between each split. On split 4 I think I dropped the overall pace too much. Trial and error I guess. The above though gives me an average 500m time of 2.12 which doesn't seem great considering my 1k time....??

Going back tomorrow to try and get my average down to 2.10 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    there is no point in doing 500m repeats ALL the time - vary the distance/time in the same way you would if aiming to do a better 5km run time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Dominic,

When are you giving the 1k a go?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Link your "Jackie" video,
    Then you'll have to top it :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Dominic,

When are you giving the 1k a go?:D
    i will be sure to post it up on my workout log when i do but it just has not come up on any of the crossfit endurance sessions so will nail it then.

Here is one i did recently for you to try to beat my total distance -

Rowing, 4mins effort (rest 3mins i.e. get off the rower if you wish), 2mins effort (30secs rest), 1mins effort (3mins rest), 2mins effort (30secs rest), 4mins effort – total distance was 3673m (total training time – 21mins)

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    That's 3673 in 13 mins. 1m46.3 average per 500m.

I'm assuming you set the machine for 21 mins and just record total distance at the end?

It's not bad.

Currently it would be painful to pip this - if I could even manage it. Question is do I want to try? Not really:D

Give me a few weeks to get back on the erg a bit. I did average 1m45.77 for a full hour a 'few' years back so if muscle memory can kick in...:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Just adding that up and TTT is 20mins from what you posted.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Just adding that up and TTT is 20mins from what you posted.
    sorry yes thats 20mins total work time.

everyone wants to look great but aint no one want to do the nasty work!

I did not set the rower to 20mins i just set 4mins then set up 2mins etc and had a pen and note pad beside me throughout.

did 250,500,750m row x 3 rounds last week also (recover same length of time it takes you to complete the set distances)

Transform wrote: »
    sorry yes thats 20mins total work time.

everyone wants to look great but aint no one want to do the nasty work!

I did not set the rower to 20mins i just set 4mins then set up 2mins etc and had a pen and note pad beside me throughout.

did 250,500,750m row x 3 rounds last week also (recover same length of time it takes you to complete the set distances)

I do :) Might do a 450m x 3, a 500m + 650m today just to see if I can get my average 500m time down.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I prefer the 250,500,750 x 3 to the other one.

I also like or did like the:

4,3,2,1,2,3,4 -

4 @ 22spm
    3 @ 24spm
    2 @ 26spm
    1 @ 28spm

No rest. Many would start at 24 and end at 30spm.

I have to say the 1k looks a lot more tempting now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    3.39. Started off too fast, aiming for 3.30 next time.

Chet Zar wrote: »
    I'm absolutely loving the 500m sprints! Soo much less arduous than the 1000ms and you get to 500 in no time at all!!

So here's what I did today. My best 1k time so far is 4:21.

Split 1: 2:11
    Split 2: 2:13
    Split 3: 2:11
    Split 4: 2:15
    Split 5: 2:11

About 2 mins rest in between each split. On split 4 I think I dropped the overall pace too much. Trial and error I guess. The above though gives me an average 500m time of 2.12 which doesn't seem great considering my 1k time....??

Going back tomorrow to try and get my average down to 2.10 at least.

Did 2 x 500m warm-ups in the gym today.

Now down to:

Split 1: 2:09.7
    Split 2: 2.09.6

Hit my goal of getting under 2:10, and this should bring my 1k time down from 4:21 to at least 4:15 or thereabouts. Onwards and upwards anyway.

Yeah!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Transform wrote: »

Rowing, 4mins effort (rest 3mins i.e. get off the rower if you wish), 2mins effort (30secs rest), 1mins effort (3mins rest), 2mins effort (30secs rest), 4mins effort – total distance was 3673m (total training time – 21mins)

Hmm, will give this a go on weds
    I'll guess 3250ish, although, I think ill be god for 3500 if it goes well

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    give it a blast and i also really like doing -

20mins furthest distance possible of 250m as fast as you can manage and recover for same time it takes to row the 250m - keep repeating for 20mins and record total distance. Should be aiming for 5km if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

@ The Guvnor: Is the 4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4 meters or minutes?
    i.e.
    400m @ 22spm
    300m @ 24 spm

-or-

4 mins @ 22spm
    3 mins @ 24spm
    I prefer the 250,500,750 x 3 to the other one.

I also like or did like the:

4,3,2,1,2,3,4 -

4 @ 22spm
    3 @ 24spm
    2 @ 26spm
    1 @ 28spm

No rest. Many would start at 24 and end at 30spm.

I have to say the 1k looks a lot more tempting now!:)

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    4 minutes etc.

Yours is easier mate!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The whole point here is that for a quick time over say 1-2k you need some level of endurance but you also need a bit of speed.

Speed on the erg is rating 28-30spm. Whereas the long distance chaps doing an hour would rate 20-22 etc.

It's possible to say a 3m20 on the erg for 1k at 20spm for a top rower but if he wants to crack 3mins then he'll need to get more strokes in so up his rate to say 28spm and assuming each stroke is the same (length/power) etc. then over 3 mins or so those 18 extra strokes make all the difference!

BTW - It sounds very easy when you talk of 1000m in terms of only 90 strokes on the machine!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

The biggest mind-f*** about indoor rowing for me is the cubic power to pace conversion formula. So if you want to go twice as fast you need to produce eight times the power. So for example if you are rowing 6mins for 1k you are producing 60Watts of power, if you want to get your 1k down to 3mins you need to produce 480Watts.
    To put it a different way if you produce twice the Watts(power) you will row 2 ^ (1/3) times as fast (= approx 1.26 times as fast).
    Really start to hurt when you are at the thin end of the wedge.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    ^ Very true mate! To go from for example 1m23 for 500m to 1m22 is a long, long way!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

First time poster here. I'm 48 years old and just back in the gym. I do 20 mins on the Concept, in intervals of 30 secs 'free wheeling' and 30 seconds 'max'. When I say 'max' I mean that I have to pace myself to ensure I can do the 20 minutes. So at max I am doing between 27 and 30 stroken per minute and I try to get it to 250 watts. At the end of 20 minutes I've done 4,444 metres (or therebouts).

Buy my question relates to the 'power setting'. I have it at 5 (which is exactly mid range 'cause it goes from 1 to 10). What do the rest of you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

I set it at 10 as its easiest for me, i think 1 would give me a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

jugger0 wrote: »
    I set it at 10 as its easiest for me, i think 1 would give me a heart attack.

Is it not the other way around?
    I thought at 10 the vanes were fully closed and harder to row but you can go much faster, and at 1 it's fully opened up, less resistance, easier to row but you can't cover the distance. Is this not the case?

While I'm here I'v tried the 1000m sprint a few times lately, I'm at 3:39 now, still some work to do!
    Technique go's out the window with me the faster I try to go.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    youtheman wrote: »

Buy my question relates to the 'power setting'. I have it at 5 (which is exactly mid range 'cause it goes from 1 to 10). What do the rest of you use.

3-4 most closely replicates actual rowing on the water. My preference is for 3.5.

IMO & IME 3 or 4 is the best setting for maintaining good technique when you get tired etc.

Best of luck!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Ok - so today I was in the gym. Did 20 mins stretching and half an hour on the elliptical machine at a comfortable effort pace.

I then went to the C2.

[EXCUSE ALERT BELOW:D]
    • First of all - every C2 is not set up correctly as in the screw that helps attach the slide to the flywheel is not there - so all of them can be lifted apart!
    • Then I put this to one side and try to set up the machine - battery at 6% can't do normal functions.
    • Next machine is all good - set it up - pace boat set, ready to go. Blast off but nothing machine is also not working or the PM2 is not working!
    • Third machine thankfully was working!:D
    Did 3m26.1 averaging 26 strokes per minute.

My 200m splits were:
    It was better than the last one and I probably could have pushed a little bit more in the first half without overly affecting the 2nd 500m.

Next goal has to be sub 3m20 - I'll be honest getting a sub 3m looks a long, long way away at this stage!

I should have added that I was a bit upset at averaging 26spm for the time -I'm sure when I was rowing I'd do 1m43 pace for A) a lot longer and B) at a stroke rate of 20-22.

My plan is to get back to the erg a bit and try and get the 1k time as low as possible without racing i.e. not going above 26 and then work on bringing speed to the equation and rating upto 30 for the duration etc.

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I'm assuming you set the machine for 21 mins and just record total distance at the end?
    Best way would be to set up variable intervals
    Int 1. 4min row, 3min rest
    Int. 2 2min row, 30 secs rest etc
    Maars wrote: »
    The biggest mind-f*** about indoor rowing for me is the cubic power to pace conversion formula. So if you want to go twice as fast you need to produce eight times the power.
    I don't reall see that as surprising. It's handy to know its exactly a cubed function, but it would apply to all aspects of sport.

Imagine the difference in a 10s 100m sprint vrs 20s

How much harder it is to press your bodyweight compared to pressing 1/2 your bw twice (the work done is the same, energy used is probably cubed function too)

Advertisement