Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Thanks D!

The gentle online ribbing (friendly competition) defo helps!:D

Your easily good for 3m15 imo but unless there is a C2 event in the CF regionals best to fully focus on what you're going to be doing there.

Slight thread derail but when and where are the regionals and who's the main competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    Thanks D!

The gentle online ribbing (friendly competition) defo helps!:D

Your easily good for 3m15 imo but unless there is a C2 event in the CF regionals best to fully focus on what you're going to be doing there.

Slight thread derail but when and where are the regionals and who's the main competition?
    yes there is a 1000m row in the first event but now is not the time to be practicing that.

events are here - http://games.crossfit.com/features/announcing-regional-workouts

competition? Every other bloke that made it to regionals really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

3:08, just gotta cut 8 seconds and ill be happy. The glute pain is unbelievable after this!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    jugger0 wrote: »
    3:08, just gotta cut 8 seconds and ill be happy. The glute pain is unbelievable after this!

Good work mate. A bit quicker than I would like (more pressure) - 3m08 dead or 3m08.something?

Anyone going sub 3mins will need to take a picture to verify it!:D

3m08 was your flat out max? If so 8 seconds is a long time to shave off - does not sound like it sitting here but on the machine it's a bit different!:)

Good work mate. A bit quicker than I would like (more pressure) - 3m08 dead or 3m08.something?

Anyone going sub 3mins will need to take a picture to verify it!:D

3m08 was your flat out max? If so 8 seconds is a long time to shave off - does not sound like it sitting here but on the machine it's a bit different!:)

Think it was 3m08.4. Yeah flat out max... i reckon it will indeed take a while to break the 3 min mark unfortunately.. i might do a few sets of 500m for a few days and then get back to it, oh ya ill take a picture for sure, its a great thing to do for a warm up, nothing like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Think it was 3m08.4. Yeah flat out max... i reckon it will indeed take a while to break the 3 min mark unfortunately.. i might do a few sets of 500m for a few days and then get back to it, oh ya ill take a picture for sure, its a great thing to do for a warm up, nothing like it!

Thats a great time!! It's taken me months to knock off 4 seconds of my 1000 metre time. I managed to do a 3:25 2 weeks ago but you really need to be doing this seriously to knock off 8 seconds.

I was wrecked after my 3:25, almost puking, I left the gym after that. I think that's my limit. I've gone back to 2000 metre rows at a non-killing pace for my warm ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Rakish

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I did 1:34 for 500M in 2009 so I put myself safely in the 3-4min range.

I've seen professional rugby players row, I've never seen any of them hold a 1:00/500M pace apart from on a max power test (One stroke).

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    jugger - that 0.4 second makes all the difference in terms of trying to chase the time! :D

It's only 1m34.2!

Rakish defo in the 3m-4m range.

I don't follow what you are on about re: the rugby players - you saying the can get a 1m even on the machine for a stroke or two?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Antivirus - 4 seconds is a lot in terms of a 1000m piece.

At the very sharp end even 0.4 second is a lot!:D

More times posted please - we all need (read I need) a good motivational kick up the rear to do more of these!

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Thats a great time!! It's taken me months to knock off 4 seconds of my 1000 metre time. I managed to do a 3:25 2 weeks ago but you really need to be doing this seriously to knock off 8 seconds.

I was wrecked after my 3:25, almost puking, I left the gym after that. I think that's my limit. I've gone back to 2000 metre rows at a non-killing pace for my warm ups.

Yeah after the 2ks im usually flat out on the floor trying to hold down my lunch, the 1ks arent much better to be honest! im not sure which is worse.

How tall are you by the way? i think tall lads have alot more potential for better times.

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Yeah after the 2ks im usually flat out on the floor trying to hold down my lunch, the 1ks arent much better to be honest! im not sure which is worse.

How tall are you by the way? i think tall lads have alot more potential for better times.

I'm 5'10 and I'm 75.5kg. I would have thought longer legs would be an advantage, lol.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Antivirus - 4 seconds is a lot in terms of a 1000m piece.

At the very sharp end even 0.4 second is a lot!:D

More times posted please - we all need (read I need) a good motivational kick up the rear to do more of these!

It's taken about 4 months to just come down by 4 seconds and that's rowing every time I go to the gym. The amount of extra power I need to put in just to knock of 5 seconds is an extra average 25watts (325 -> 350) over the 3:20,

To go from a time of 3:08.4 to 3 mintues flat you need to go from anverage of 418.7 -> 480.1 :eek:

As The Guvnor say, "At the very sharp end even 0.4 second is a lot! :D" is very true.

I found a great calculator on the Concept2 website if anyone is interested in calculating their watts

http://www.concept2.com/us/interactive/calculators/watts.asp

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Great Calculator.

Says you need to hit 1600 watts to get a 1m00.3 even for a stroke.

It sounds easyish to say just do 500 watts for 2m58 seconds!:D

What 500m time would i need for a <3min 1k?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    What 500m time would i need for a <3min 1k?

Average 1:29.9 and you're there :D

Average 1:29.9 and you're there :D

Ahh thats not too bad atall...

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Ahh thats not too bad atall...

Can I ask what's your SPM is and what damper setting do you normally use?

Good luck, hope you do it. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be there. :D

Can I ask what's your SPM is and what damper setting do you normally use?

Good luck, hope you do it. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be there. :D

Whats an SPM? sorry but im a rowing noob.. im guessing damper setting is the 1-10 thingy? i keep it on 10 because it easiest for me!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Whats an SPM? sorry but im a rowing noob.. im guessing damper setting is the 1-10 thingy? i keep it on 10 because it easiest for me!

The SPM is the strokes per minutes. Good guess on the damper thingy! :D

For us rowing noobs damper settings are just personal preferences, real open water rowers row on a setting of about 3/4 as that's the same feeling as open water rowing.

The SPM is the strokes per minutes. Good guess on the damper thingy! :D

For us rowing noobs damper settings are just personal preferences, real open water rowers row on a setting of about 3/4 as that's the same feeling as open water rowing.

Ohhh its over 30, maybe around 35.. Thats bad isnt it?

A 3/4 setting would without a doubt kill me!

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Ohhh its over 30, maybe around 35.. Thats bad isnt it?

A 3/4 setting would without a doubt kill me!

30 or 35 is not bad, nothing wrong with that. You're technique could be perfect rowing at either of those 2 numbers. To lower your stroke rate you've got to push harder with your legs, the benefit is you have slightly more recovery time between strokes.

Try it out, next time you're on the rower try rowing easy at about 30 spm as see what your average 500 metre split is. Then row at 30 spm pushing hard with your legs and see what your average 500 metre split is. You only need to do this for about 20 seconds each to see the difference.

You can mess about with the damper settings as well but you could be there all day. I went to the gym one day and ended up messing about with all the settings on the rower that I never got anything else done! :-D

If you like damper setting 10 and find you get your best out of it, then leave it at 10.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    At the end of the day the time counts - if say technique is not great and damper is to the max but time is really low then rock on.

I personally go for 3/4 but might try 10 someday and go more arms!:D

Not a 1k but i got a new pb on the 2k, 6:40.9, pretty angry at myself as i stopped at around 1800m because i thought i was going to puke, then went mental for the last few meters, was in some pain after! couldnt even lie down my legs hurt so bad.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Not bad mate.

Would not fancy doing a 2k atm.

On longer pieces like a 2k that is where the 3/4 setting comes in, imo.

Ye i wont be doing another one for awhile, was thinking about leaving the gym after i was so fooked.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    LOL - Been there mate.

Can leave you feeling a bit queasy for a bit!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    This is an example of how NOT to use the C2:

http://www.todaysbigthing.com/ouch/2011/07/13

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    This is an example of how NOT to use the C2:

http://www.todaysbigthing.com/ouch/2011/07/13

lol, it reminds me of this one! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEJhQ9gKAb4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    man thats some funny sh1t right there!!

I was really hoping this thread would not come up for a while as need to go bloody do a 1000m!!

Eariler today i did 500m repeats x 6 with 90secs break between efforts - ave 1.42.1min - slow day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

And this is an example of how to use a CII :D:D

Form 3:02 on shows how you should look and feel at the end of your session :eek::eek:

Advertisement