Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't use the rower often, normally do 2000m when I do, depending on the mood it takes anywhere between 8.15 and 8.40, nothing special. But I now the first 1000 is usually done under 4 mins.

I will try the 1000m as a stand alone and see how I go.
    Same

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

Mellor wrote: »
    Club level?

I had a look at the world records, 14th on the list is 6:42.5

Maybe i'm missing something.

It comes down to age, weight, height, 6.40 is a good effort for a lightweight masters rower, but it's not quite as impressive for a guy who is 90kg, 6 foot 3 and 25yrs old.

Not sure where you are seeing the world records but I doubt it is a well maintained list. The first 13 in the Irish Indoors (Open Mens event i.e. BWT > 75kgs)last year all went under 6:40. There were plenty more sub 6:40 in the vets and lightweight categories too.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Mellor wrote: »
    Club level?

I had a look at the world records, 14th on the list is 6:42.5

Maybe i'm missing something.

Have a look at this site; provides fairly decent amount of info including Irish records.
    http://concept2.co.uk/records/2000_world

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Did a 4:21 today in the gym. Would say I could have pushed a good lot more though. Getting under 4 minutes is my first target anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    3:40 during a WOD on Monday.

• Advertisement

Molly wrote: »
    3:40 during a WOD on Monday.

Nice...which WOD was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

20 seconds with an outboard motor :)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Just 1000m row followed by 21-15-9 Deadlifts & Burpees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I did 2km in 7:18 the other day and almost fainted while I was rowing :o

I've never done just 1km but it would be under 4 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    jugger0 wrote: »
    I told my friend my time, hes a rower, and he said it was good for a rugby player but nothing special!

LOL - he's a bit off the mark tbh even from a rowing perspective.

For a lightweight (sub 75kg) 6m40 is a very respectable time.#
    For a heavyweight 6m24 or so is a good bench mark.

As you're a non rower it's very good!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭petroltimer

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Have a look at this site; provides fairly decent amount of info including Irish records.
    http://concept2.co.uk/records/2000_world

just saw Matthew Pinsent time of 5:42.3 amazing difference between pros and amateurs, but he is a monster 6ft5 & 17 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Did my first 1k today got 3:10, im going to try and get it below 3 minutes hopefully. I have to say my glutes were killing me, so bad that afterwards i had to roll off the machine onto the floor... rowing is such a brutal brutal sport! new found respect for rowers ye must be mental! cant imagine doing a 5k or 10k....

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Never really timed myself for just 1000m but would always be sub 4mins.

Normally when I'm on the concept 2 i'll do 2500m and get just under 10mins, best was 9.20-something iirc a few years ago

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    3m10 is a great time jugger0!

1st attempt at this - 3m37.1 - this was very comfortable and stroke rate was 24 or less average.

Could I have done a bit better - probably but I honestly doubt if last night I would have been able to do much under 3m30 if even - to be honest.

I'm going to do this once a week and see if it goes down much if at all!

Such a fine line between comfortable and not finishing and during the piece all I was thinking was how long a 100m can seem!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    just wondering if anyone can explain the resistance 1-10 on the rowing machines, to go at your fastest does it need to be at 10?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    just wondering if anyone can explain the resistance 1-10 on the rowing machines, to go at your fastest does it need to be at 10?

This article is useful to explain best setting for you.

http://concept2.co.uk/training/answers?id=12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes

It's all up to what you feel is best suited to you. 10 will be harder to pull but your stroke will cover a big distance, level 4 will be easier to pull but your stroke will cover a smaller distance. Best to try it out and see what you like.

Doing a stroke rate of 25 strokes per minute at level 4 does not mean you will cover the same distance as your identical brother sitting next to you pulling the same 25 strokes per minute at level 4. Its all about explosive power and an easy recovery.

Next time you're doing your normal rowing routine keep an eye on your SPM and your estimated 500 metre time, then the next time see if you can lower your SPM but keep the same estimated 500 metre time. This will help you focus on good technique which will bring your times down. This is what I'm doing a the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Just to clarify here, we're talking about the rowing machines yes? I usually switch between it and the treadmill for my cardio. I've never payed much attention to the numbers. Just try and keep some figure above 900. That seems to do it. So for a guy, 6'1, 13.5stone I should be looking at getting under what? 5, 6 mins. If I'm doing a short warmup it might be for about 5mins. Pretty sure it was over 1000m. I'll check in detail next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Smyth wrote: »
    Just to clarify here, we're talking about the rowing machines yes? I usually switch between it and the treadmill for my cardio. I've never payed much attention to the numbers. Just try and keep some figure above 900. That seems to do it. So for a guy, 6'1, 13.5stone I should be looking at getting under what? 5, 6 mins. If I'm doing a short warmup it might be for about 5mins. Pretty sure it was over 1000m. I'll check in detail next time.
    You should have very little trouble getting under 5 mins if you try. I got 3.50 yesterday and I'm shorter, lighter and not really that fit, esp with all the beer and (stupidly) tobacco over xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Timed it today. 4:00. That was after a hard running session too. Could shave a good bit off.

• Advertisement

Gadzooks! 4:30ish in gym today at start of workout. Thought was on track to do better than last time during the row! Gotta push more at start of the 1k I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    maars wrote:
    It comes down to age, weight, height, 6.40 is a good effort for a lightweight masters rower, but it's not quite as impressive for a guy who is 90kg, 6 foot 3 and 25yrs old.

Not sure where you are seeing the world records but I doubt it is a well maintained list. The first 13 in the Irish Indoors (Open Mens event i.e. BWT > 75kgs)last year all went under 6:40. There were plenty more sub 6:40 in the vets and lightweight categories too.
    I checked the offcail list on the concept2 site.
    I think the problems the times set at a lot of indoors compa aren't recognaised as concept2 have pretty strict criteria for official times.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Are you supposed to use the foot straps on the concept2. I recently stopped using them on basis of something I read about recovery stroke should be the cable pulling you back in and not using feet to pull you back in

Any views on if that is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Less than 2 minutes

Resistance is not the same on all machines. It depends on age, how clean they are, and how well maintained. Having the fan on 5 on one machine may not be the same as on 5 on the machine next to it.

Use the 'drag factor' to be consistent. You will find it in 'other options' on the concept 2. This shows how much the fan slows down between strokes. Heavyweight men will typically do their tests on 130 or 135, lightweight men and heavyweight women 120-125, and lightweight women around 110-115. It is your personal preference where u set it if u r a gym rower, but this drag factor will allow u to be consistent across machines of different ages. A 130 drag on (which I use as a 6 foot 4 former rower) might have the fan at 8 on one machine and 5 on another

Incidentally I am always amazed that personal trainers and gym instructors rarely know of this basic functionality!!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    well i did the 1000m last night 3:42, i don't know if i did a long enough warm up, i did 5 minutes on a cross country ski thing, but after the row i was sick in the stomach it took me about 20mins before i was able to do anything else as i was worried i was going to throw up :)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    TheZ wrote: »
    Are you supposed to use the foot straps on the concept2. I recently stopped using them on basis of something I read about recovery stroke should be the cable pulling you back in and not using feet to pull you back in

Any views on if that is correct?

Kind of - if you do not fall off with your feet out of the straps then it means your body is in the correct position as in hands away leaning forward during the recovery.

However in rowing terms on the recovery you are thinking of you pulling the boat underneath you instead of you moving forward.

If you move forward in a choppy/too fast motion you can 'check' the boat and actually slow it down.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Anyone of you able to explain to me why when I go faster than 1:35 for 500m i fall off the seat (Calling me a clown isn't a helpful answer :D )?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Anyone of you able to explain to me why when I go faster than 1:35 for 500m i fall off the seat (Calling me a clown isn't a helpful answer :D )?

There was something on that in the journal I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Less than 2 minutes

I presume your are firing up and down the slide like the clappers, and the chain is shaking around to try to get below 1.35. You are falling off cause u r losing control of the sequence of the stroke. Your back has to be connected to the fan, and you should start to feel the weight of the fan through your straight arms, shoulders and back b4 u push with your legs. If your arms are bent or you push with your legs before you have picked up the load then you will likely fall off.

What I would recommend is to look at the stroke sequence (concept 2 website is good) then do dome slow motion rowing to get that right. Then do some low rate rowing (18 strokes a minute or less) but pushing with your legs as hard as you can. Then when you have the feeling of loading up your back, holding it steady through the leg drive, before starting to lean back, then you can take up the rate. Because you have the sequence right you will generate more power, and get the split down further without losing control

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Thanks for responding to this, let me provide you with a little more info about how I fall off the seat. It's not that I fall off to the side, it's more that my ass hops up off of the seat, then the seat slides a little too far or doesn't slide at all and I end up half on/half off the seat. By doing what you said will that be remedied?

Advertisement