Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    You are coming forward too fast and are overreaching and kind of coming up on your feet, hence your rear is lifted a little bit off the seat (at a guess).

Also because of the movement the seat has a small bit of momentum which if you rear is not on for a fraction of a second cause it to not be where it was when you left it etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Thank you, that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Less than 2 minutes
    Just go on the website, look at the body positions and copy them exactly. Real slow to start then increase power as you get to know the sequence. The pictures are on the concept 2 website for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Did a nice 3:29 this morning with 33 SPM and a hangover. :pac:

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    3m28.9 is my next target!:D

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    BTW - I was checking out some of the sub 3m 1k times from this year and last year - some heavy guys on there.

43 year old from Norway 125kg and he looks lean, Cork lad 127kg and plenty over 110kg!

Be interesting to see if any of them are similarly placed on the 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Torque

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Being involved in rowing I'd pull a 6:30 2k so I reckon a 3 minute 1k. A lot of pretty decent times for non rowers.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    You'd pull a 6m30 or have pulled a 6m30? :)

One way to find out if you could do a 3m 1k! It is a bit of a difference though 1m30 even vs 1m37.5.

Best of luck mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Now that I have all your usernames it's now time to set up a rowing comp to see who can do it in the time they claim.

:) Still a way off sub-4 right now but working towards it....

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I've posted my first attempt.
    Will do it again this week and see where I am at.
    Progress will slow down soon I imagine!:)

• Advertisement

Less than 2 minutes
    Torque wrote: »
    Being involved in rowing I'd pull a 6:30 2k so I reckon a 3 minute 1k. A lot of pretty decent times for non rowers.

Ive been a coach for a good while after retiring from racing, and the general rule of thumb is that your 2k time will normally be around twice your 1k time plus 10 seconds (so around 2.5 seconds less on your split time for a 2k than a 1k). A 6:30 2k (which may be pretty good depending on your size) should mean you do a 3:10 1k.

If you can do a 3m 1k, you should be pushing for sub 6:10 - putting you close to international territory if you are a lightweight, and top level club standard if you are a heavyweight. If you are only at 6:30 for your 2k, I think you will find a 3:00 1k out of range for a while

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Steve,

As this is just about the 1k time - are people better off working on their speed or their endurance?

Try an extend their 500m piece as opposed to shortening their 2k.

It is possible to muscle a 500m piece but a lot harder to do it over 1k which is where I think it pays to have better technique and some level of endurance etc.

Not too many club heavyweights in Ireland doing sub 6m10 is there, there certainly wasn't 10 years ago?

Less than 2 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    Steve,

As this is just about the 1k time - are people better off working on their speed or their endurance?

Try an extend their 500m piece as opposed to shortening their 2k.

It is possible to muscle a 500m piece but a lot harder to do it over 1k which is where I think it pays to have better technique and some level of endurance etc.

Not too many club heavyweights in Ireland doing sub 6m10 is there, there certainly wasn't 10 years ago?

There are a few sub 6.10 guys kicking around now - not too many, but more than there were. And some good juniors who will be sub 6.10 in a couple of years

Youve got to have good technique to transfer a good 500m time to a good 2k time - anyone with half decent technique (which is good enough that they can work their legs instead of just their forearms) can shut their eyes and muscle a good 500 with little enough fitness. But the 2k is the equivalent to the 800m on the track - you have to be fast as hell (almost as fast at top speed as the 200m guys). But also have the endurance of a mile runner.

The 1k on the erg is like the 400m on the track. If you dont have some endurance you are going to blow just after half way. Usain Bolt says he wont race the 400 as he cant be arsed with the fitness training - different to the anaerobic speed of the 200m. It is the same kind of thing

To get a fast 1k with limited training time you have to develop your strength endurance. Try 4 or 5 x 500m pieces with a 1 minute (maybe 1.30 to start with) break in between (pacing yourself to get them even splits or improving slightly as you go along). Of a set of 1 minute on, 1 minute off x 10 or 12.

Obviously if you are a rower wanting to do it properly you will be doing long endurance pieces for an hour or more at a time, plus weights and circuits etc. But for a gym rower wanting a good 1k without spending too much time, interval training should work well. (But do it with the right technique or you will go nowhere)

steve9859 wrote: »
    There are a few sub 6.10 guys kicking around now - not too many, but more than there were. And some good juniors who will be sub 6.10 in a couple of years

Youve got to have good technique to transfer a good 500m time to a good 2k time - anyone with half decent technique (which is good enough that they can work their legs instead of just their forearms) can shut their eyes and muscle a good 500 with little enough fitness. But the 2k is the equivalent to the 800m on the track - you have to be fast as hell (almost as fast at top speed as the 200m guys). But also have the endurance of a mile runner.

The 1k on the erg is like the 400m on the track. If you dont have some endurance you are going to blow just after half way. Usain Bolt says he wont race the 400 as he cant be arsed with the fitness training - different to the anaerobic speed of the 200m. It is the same kind of thing

To get a fast 1k with limited training time you have to develop your strength endurance. Try 4 or 5 x 500m pieces with a 1 minute (maybe 1.30 to start with) break in between (pacing yourself to get them even splits or improving slightly as you go along). Of a set of 1 minute on, 1 minute off x 10 or 12.

Obviously if you are a rower wanting to do it properly you will be doing long endurance pieces for an hour or more at a time, plus weights and circuits etc. But for a gym rower wanting a good 1k without spending too much time, interval training should work well. (But do it with the right technique or you will go nowhere)

Cheers for that Steve. Gonna try your 4 or 5 x 500m suggestion. I've only tried the 1k test maybe four times so far, tend to find I gas after about 650m, so this might help me get it to the next phase.

Less than 2 minutes
    Chet Zar wrote: »
    Cheers for that Steve. Gonna try your 4 or 5 x 500m suggestion. I've only tried the 1k test maybe four times so far, tend to find I gas after about 650m, so this might help me get it to the next phase.

If you want to do interval training on the rowing machine, you have to do it properly. BY that I mean there is no point doing 2 fast intervals, blowing up on one, then a fast one, then a slow one etc etc. Keep them all at the same kind of split, getting faster in the last couple.

If you take it a bit easy the first time, it gives you a starting point. So, for example, if you do 5 x 500 at 1.44, 1.44, 1.43, 1.42, 1.39, then the average of them all is 1.42.4. So the next time you do them, you know you are able for 5 pieces at 1.42.4.

So you can start at 1.42.4, then bring the last one down. End up maybe with with 1.42.4, 1.42.4, 1.42.4, 1.42.0, 1.41.5. That brings your average down to 1.42, and the next time, you have this new average split to start at. In that way you get slightly faster every time, knowing your own speed. Much more effective than winging it and going different speeds every time.

Id be interested to hear how you get on

Important thing with rowing training, as with running and swimming, is to write down all your times, and split times and keep a diary.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    If you want to do interval training on the rowing machine, you have to do it properly. BY that I mean there is no point doing 2 fast intervals, blowing up on one, then a fast one, then a slow one etc etc. Keep them all at the same kind of split, getting faster in the last couple.

If you take it a bit easy the first time, it gives you a starting point. So, for example, if you do 5 x 500 at 1.44, 1.44, 1.43, 1.42, 1.39, then the average of them all is 1.42.4. So the next time you do them, you know you are able for 5 pieces at 1.42.4.

So you can start at 1.42.4, then bring the last one down. End up maybe with with 1.42.4, 1.42.4, 1.42.4, 1.42.0, 1.41.5. That brings your average down to 1.42, and the next time, you have this new average split to start at. In that way you get slightly faster every time, knowing your own speed. Much more effective than winging it and going different speeds every time.

Important thing with rowing training, as with running and swimming, is to write down all your times, and split times and keep a diary.

I'd like to try this so what sort of split times should I use considering my 1km time was 3m29sec?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    1m40-1m41 IMO mate.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    1m40-1m41 IMO mate.

Cheers, I'll give it ago on Thursday :)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Thank me afterwards mate! Especially if you keep to Steve's 1m to 1m30 rest period!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes

totally agree with all of that 1+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    my best 500m is 1m 21.7s
    my best 2000m is 6m 47.5s

I have not rowed a flat out 1000m but got 3m 17s recently on a warm up.

I am going to try and beat these times in about 6 weeks. Im putting on some weight and strength to prepare.

The rowing machine is a serious test of mental strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    my best 500m is 1m 21.7s
    That's excellant imo, isn't it like 6 seconds or so from the WR

I'll prob give CF Jackie a spin tonight, so that has a 1000m row in it, put I won't be going near to flat out now hat I think of it.

Between 2 and 3 minutes

This looks good, I think ill do a few weeks of this to prepare for the 2K.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    my best 500m is 1m 21.7s
    my best 2000m is 6m 47.5s

I have not rowed a flat out 1000m but got 3m 17s recently on a warm up.

I am going to try and beat these times in about 6 weeks. Im putting on some weight and strength to prepare.

The rowing machine is a serious test of mental strength.

1m21.7 is a very good 500m time and one which would suggest you'd get a better 2k time.

How is your endurance, I'm guessing you are more strength than fitness oriented?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    We should if possible start a league table with the actual 1k times on there.

I dread the above - thinking about how far down the list I'll be.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    1m21.7 is a very good 500m time and one which would suggest you'd get a better 2k time.

How is your endurance, I'm guessing you are more strength than fitness oriented?

At the time (about a year ago) I was 108kg when I did both these times. I am now 98Kg. I am looking to put on some weight over the next few weeks, about 5kg, and have another go at this. I am convinced I can get under 1m20s on the 500m. My endurance is not bad. I do a fair bit of crossfit. For the next 7 weeks I am training for strength and then back to crossfit. I think I will try the interval 500m training Steve mentioned in an earlier post to improve my 2K. I feel it should be better also. I think my technique is reasonable also, its smooth and I get a good push off with the legs.
    Does anyone have any techniques in actually rowing the 2K. My brother mentioned something like every 300m, up your workrate for 50m and then reduce it again.

Yep cheers Steve, going to try this in the gym tomorrow so will report back.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Jim a 2k is like a proper on the water rowing race.

• You can have a few short strokes at the start followed by 10-20 pretty much flat out strokes to get ahead. Would be called a start and 20 etc.
    • You then settle into a race pace.
    • Some will do a push at a 1000m etc. and then settle again.
    • Final push comes with 300m to go etc.

BTW - I'm guessing you have the setting up around 8-10?

Despite all the above some people go out hard to 1k and try to hang on whilst others have negative splits as in second half faster than the first.

The question for you is could you do a 1m35 500m after a 1m25 500m?

It's a real suck it and see approach tbh. If I was trying to do a sub 3m 1k (sub 4m would be the female equivalent), it would go like this:

• Hard start 1m25 ish for 1000-850m
    • Settle in at 1m30/1m29 for 850-150m
    • Up it as much as possible 150m-0m
    In my head this is just a case of get 2m59.9 or less, it's not a race - a race may require a different strategy etc.

I'm game on for going sub 3m for 1k this year!:D

Going from 1m21.7 to 1m21.5 is a lifetime let alone 1.7 seconds off but best of luck with it mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Went sub 4m last night, This was part of a bigger metcon (50 thrusters, 30 pull ups to follow the row) so didn't go all out and 4m was a handy pace.

I'd say 3.40 wouldn't be hard, and I'd expect to hit 3.30 all out

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    ^^ LOL ^^

I'm noticing a trend here, me included where we do not want to go flat out for the 1k.

I think pushing it all the way my chances of finishing it would be slim.:D

Advertisement