Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Transform wrote: »
    Rowing, 4mins effort (rest 3mins i.e. get off the rower if you wish), 2mins effort (30secs rest), 1mins effort (3mins rest), 2mins effort (30secs rest), 4mins effort – total distance was 3673m (total training time – 21mins)

I managed 3421m
    Pretty happy considering i'm small and fat, and you aren't :D:D:D

I managed over 1000m for the last 4min block. So happy to keep that pace steady-ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Mellor wrote: »
    Best way would be to set up variable intervals
    Int 1. 4min row, 3min rest
    Int. 2 2min row, 30 secs rest etc

Now that you mention it...:D
    This is the intelligent way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

I don't reall see that as surprising. It's handy to know its exactly a cubed function, but it would apply to all aspects of sport.

Imagine the difference in a 10s 100m sprint vrs 20s

How much harder it is to press your bodyweight compared to pressing 1/2 your bw twice (the work done is the same, energy used is probably cubed function too)

I dont think it does apply to all sports to quite the same extreme. I won't touch on running because there is going to be drag and all sorts of stuff to consider there I imagine, but taking a clean as an example..
    Lets say I clean 40kg(just warming up you understand :) )
    I pull the bar 1.2m in 1 second (gravity constant 9.8) the WATTS I have produced is..
    (40*9.8*1.2)/1 = 470W
    Now I up the weight to 80kg (still just warming up..honest) and we have
    (80*9.8*1.2)/1 = 940W
    So thats a linear relationship twice the weight in the same time requires twice the WATTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Can someone give me a quick breakdown on the drag factor thing on the C2?
    Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I managed 3421m
    Pretty happy considering i'm small and fat, and you aren't :D:D:D

I managed over 1000m for the last 4min block. So happy to keep that pace steady-ish
    good job man!!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    good job man!!
    Did this session this morning -

Rowing - 5min x 2 with 2mins recovery - 1386m average
    then (2mins after you finish the 5min row) -

1min x 5 with 30secs recovery - 301m average

please keep in mind that you DO NOT keep rowing on the off times (had a client report back to me with greatly exagerated times by doing this!)

Give it a shot and i have done this as a running workout also which is just as much fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Maars wrote: »

Very helpful, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Give it a shot and i have done this as a running workout also which is just as much fun!

Of course you really need to have a pretty warped idea of what represents fun :D:D:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    oh i agree its no fun at all but beats the heck out of those people that jump on a rower for 5mins and get bored or the joggers doing 30+mins of running at the same pace all the time and then wondering why they are never making any real progress.

Total training time on that workout is less than 25mins so not very long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Maars, your right. I said work done was the same, but was comparing to physical energy used and not watts. All sorts of other factors there. Not thinking really. Long day :)

which is pretty much linear for running too by the way

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    please keep in mind that you DO NOT keep rowing on the off times (had a client report back to me with greatly exagerated times by doing this!)

:D Would make a huge difference as does the trick of starting the next interval as the rest period is on say 3 seconds then your 1st interval stroke is a lot lower - obviously this would be 'cheating' and I'd never do this or have done it...:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Dominic,

From the times you've posted for various bits on the erg I'm guessing you'd be good for 3m15 or thereabouts for a 1k?

This accurate or you think closer to 3m10?

What stroke rate are you at on these pieces and what level on the machine?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    I gave it a shot today with 1 minute breaks and I didn't make it.

1:38 - 1:38 - 1:42 - 1:48 - 2:05 (:o)

I don't know if I should try it next time with a 1m 30sec breaks or up the 500m times to 1:42?

1m30 rest is fine IMO - 1:1 work/rest ratio is not at all excessive.

I think you're good for 1m41 mate just go slower on the first two and I can only imagine how the last one felt, felt the hardest, sould destroying, up and down but no power etc?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Between 4 and 5 minutes
    Ive had a go at this myself. First attempt last week: 5:30ish :o, Few days ago: 4:38, Today: 4:13.
    I think my main problem was my technique, hence the dramtic improvement recently. Gonna try the "splits" methods tommorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    1m30 rest is fine IMO - 1:1 work/rest ratio is not at all excessive.

I think you're good for 1m41 mate just go slower on the first two and I can only imagine how the last one felt, felt the hardest, sould destroying, up and down but no power etc?:D

Cheers, I was in the gym today and just did a 2000 metre row (7:25) I'll give it a shot again on Saturday and see how I go at that pace.

I don't know if its just me but has anyone noticed that the C2 rowers seem to have become very popular in the last few weeks. I used to be the only one on them the other day there was 5 of us! :eek:

I might try Transformers routine the next time, looks interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Cheers, I was in the gym today and just did a 2000 metre row (7:25) I'll give it a shot again on Saturday and see how I go at that pace.

I don't know if its just me but has anyone noticed that the C2 rowers seem to have become very popular in the last few weeks. I used to be the only one on them the other day there was 5 of us! :eek:

I might try Transformers routine the next time, looks interesting

Well, over 4,000 views of this thread and counting....don't blame me, please :)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    must program a 1km row soon so but more enjoy a good 5km row also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

I'm definitely going to try this Wednesday now. I'll post my results after, though I'm not expecting much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Have a 1'40" for 500 and fairly sure I did 3'28" for the 1000 just over a year ago, 75kg so just on the lightweight side of the track.
    Have good technique, strength could be a lot better, have been working on the weights over the winter so might give it another go (once I shake the flu)

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    must program a 1km row soon so but more enjoy a good 5km row also.

'Program':)

I think the 5k is easier in a way than the 1k.

The 5k is more steady state - whereas the 1k is a bit of a sprint, more pacey. It is the pacey nature which IMO is the killer especially when you get about 6-700m into it!

Completely different mind set, IMO.

I think you're good for 3m15 currently or 1m37.5 average pace.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Have a 1'40" for 500 and fairly sure I did 3'28" for the 1000 just over a year ago, 75kg so just on the lightweight side of the track.
    Have good technique, strength could be a lot better, have been working on the weights over the winter so might give it another go (once I shake the flu)

Is lightweight on the erg 75kg? Sounds about right.
    3m28 is good - you reckon you are close to this atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

'Program':)

I think the 5k is easier in a way than the 1k.

The 5k is more steady state - whereas the 1k is a bit of a sprint, more pacey. It is the pacey nature which IMO is the killer especially when you get about 6-700m into it!

Completely different mind set, IMO.

Couldn't agree more and imo it's why only a tiny fraction of people even ever use the rower let alone push themselves to the limit for a 1k.

Back in the gym tomorrow and can't wait to do another one!!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Chet Zar wrote: »
    Back in the gym tomorrow and can't wait to do another one!!

Good stuff! Be sure to set up the pace boat - a nice idea would be to set the pace boat to what your pace was the last time.

What I would do is
    • start strong for say 150-200m as in get ahead of pace boat
    • settle as in maintain your lead
    • then let it all hang out in the last 150m
    • Very acceptable to do half strokes for the last 40-50m.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I'll have to have a look at setting up the pace boat next time.

I haven't been able to beat 3:39 yet. I've had 3:45 and the other day had 3:41. I always end up doing it at the end of a big weights session though. Must try it sometime after a days rest.

Managed to row 7.3km in 30 minutes the other day.

I've been thinking about joining a rowing clubs beginner course which should be interesting!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Rowing Clubs may have changed but when I joined the coaches had the view - see how much they can take before they quit!:eek:

If you are Dublin based - go for it - lots of clubs - rowing on water is amazing and addictive and far easier to row for 60-90 mins out there - obviously if you row 30 mins away you have to row back!:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

3:52 is my best time for 1,000 metres. I only used a rowing machine for the first time three and a half weeks ago. I've cut down from 4:10 in my first go to being consistently around the same mark every time since.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lovelyoner

Less than 2 minutes
    My PB for 1k is 3:02.6, but I've grand plans to launch an attack on it over the next few weeks and hit sub 3!

2k PB is 6:50 which I hit at the Europeans in Paris, unfortunately I was 14 places behind the 6'5'' dutch winner who got 6:20. Keep in mind I've only just turned 16, too;)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    You can put two 1m31.3 500m's together but when you do 4 you slip to 1m42.5.

Your time for 1k would put you 1st-3rd most years for a 15 year old in the world rankings.

Are you this good?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

You can put two 1m31.3 500m's together but when you do 4 you slip to 1m42.5.

Your time for 1k would put you 1st-3rd most years for a 15 year old in the world rankings.

Are you this good?:)
    Not at all impossible if you do the right training. I was coaching a 13 year old for 5 months (from the time he joined to the time school resumed) and he started off with a 10:24 2k, this was down to 7:12 by September (bear in mind he was only 13 so a pretty astonishing score)

Advertisement