Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    In other news, we finished a new gym today. Everything brand new, a silly amount spent on equipment. Which included some of the new model Concept2's. I jumped on for a second, and the entire action was so smooth. Really made me notice the wear on the one in my gym.

I started to think if that smoothness would equal a better time. Makes sense I suppose.
    So at the end of the day I jumped on for a quick 250m. Bare in mind, this was after a fell day moving equipment, weights, up and down ladders. Hardly ideal prep. Completed it in 44 secs flat. Pretty sure that's a PR.
    But I've been training 250's lately so could be that as much as the new rower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    still makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    guile4582 wrote: »
    still makes a difference

In what way?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    still makes a difference
    It doesn't. I'm not sure you think it does.

It's based on power output. 100w is 100w no matter the "gear" used. Different people will be able generate their max power at different settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    changing the damper setting changes the amount of airflow into the flywheel, then surely air provides resistance on the row

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    changing the damper setting changes the amount of airflow into the flywheel, then surely air provides resistance on the row

The rowing machine is also known as an ergometer, i.e. it measures your energy output.

At a lower damper setting you will do less work so you will pull at a slightly faster rate. Higher damper setting means you will do more work at a slower rate.

In either instance, the person using the machine generates the power. The setting that suits him best for generating it is where he puts the damper.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Of course, but I said that in the first post.
    The actually resistance, or to be specific the power, is dependent on both the airflow setting and the speed the flywheel spins at

That resistance is on the flywheel, not on the distance.
    Overcoming the higher resistance requires more power, so the "rower" is propelled further with each stroke. So rowing 1,000m at 10 requires less strokes than rowing 1,000m at 5.

Rowing 1,000m in 4mins require a set power input. It's not on about pulling the handle 1000m.
    Which means that all that matter for a given distance is your time, not the damper setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,129 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

still makes a difference

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101

A 3:20 1000m counts the same whether the rower uses a drag factor of 130 or 180. The former will have had to maintain a higher SPM, whereas the latter needs to be stronger. Whatever works for you ultimately.

are all these times based on max resistance? (which is usually 10)

Not using max resistance!! :eek: I guess that record doesn't count so. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

The 500 meter row is a measure of strength right? I mean the strongest men usually pull the best times, is that right?

• Advertisement

jugger0 wrote: »
    The 500 meter row is a measure of strength right? I mean the strongest men usually pull the best times, is that right?

I'd say stength matters significantly more in the 500m than the 2k. However there is still an aerobic component involved.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    jugger0 wrote: »
    It's not just a measure of strength, but strength is no doubt a considerable factor. More mass on the end of the chain will allow you to spin the flywheel faster, although that's an product of muscle power/strength too I suppose.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Had a go at the 4 x 250m today with 30s rests. Managed it better than I expected. Paced decently by feel rather than by s/m.

All times in the 47.4 - 48.7s range.

Next time I try I'll drop to 25s rests.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    4mins as part of a warmup

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

i recently retested my 1000m i hit 3min 08sec, down from 3min 11secs

im 32, 103kg and 6ft. its a decent enough time id love sub 3

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Lloyd already said 'this is a good idea if you're only trying to knock maybe five seconds off from your PB to your target time'.

But given you've ignored that, I now say ignore your brain when you test this and hang on the last 400m. Your mind will tell you that you need to stop well in advance of you actually having to stop.

Gave a 1000m TT a go tonight. Felt pretty horrible.

Time: 03:24

Started off ok, holding 3:20. Pace started to slide approaching the midpoint, by 400m I wasn't getting it back. So switched to targeting a 3:25 finish. I had drifted a little by 150m to go. But managed to get it back under and hold on till finish.
    Power was just zapped by the end.

So not the 3:20 I wanted. But 10 seconds off my PR.
    Also, this was my second workout of the day, which wasn't going to help either. Happy enough overall.

So you knocked 10 seconds off your previous PR with one cycle of training? I reckon that's a pretty excellent outcome. Fair play.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Yeah pretty much.
    Wasn't even a whole lot of volume. I should be able to get it down to 3'20" next time. Have a training plan in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Never test 1km but had a go today on a whim with a quick warm up beforehand. 3.08 at about 90% effort and no sprint start. I reckon sub 3 mins is achievable with a proper warm and giving it beans 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Between 3 and 4 minutes

3.18 is my PB for 1k...

6.58 for 2k...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Had a bash the other day...3.21 for 1k

Advertisement