Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Is this not organised by the ICTU? Why are unions protesting in the first place, they should pipe down and hope the IMF hasn't noticed the Croke Party Agreement surely? As has been said, this is a union march and anyone who thinks it's just about 'standing up' is an unwitting pawn. Have no interest marching and suspect it will be overtaken by lunatics in Eirgi and turn violent

This.

There's no way I would give the unions the satisfaction or even potential satisfaction of having a 'huge following', when I'm sure a lot of the people going up are marching for good reasons, it will be overshadowed by the Trade Unions, the PS and their demands.

I'll be doing my xmas shopping that day, hopefully it'll be nice and quiet in the shopping centres. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I can see what your saying but this is the people having theyre say. its not the people on the podium its the numbers on the ground which has the impact.

come the election we can have our say. but by then its closing the door after the horse has bolted. it wont matter a bollox who you elect in the next election because the imf will call the shots.

negotiations are still ongoing and this is the only chance we have to have our say
    Like **** they are.

Biffo: Right, lads. That's a deal then. Just keep it under your hats for a few more days. We need to get this budget through first.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    For anyone opposed to marching on Saturday, where were ye today
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1125/breaking38.html
    Where were you two years ago when I tried to organise a protest?
    Amongst the laughing hordes no doubt.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'm busy that day unfortunately.

When's Pt II?

Two years after the next massive fúck up.

I won't be attending.
    I tried to help two years ago, but you all lauged at me.
    It's far too late to do anything now.
    The Daíl will break for Christmas in a couple of weeks, and absolutely nothing will be changed.

I feel sorry for those who are really poor, but I'm just laughing at the rest of you.

Yep, I'm being a smug dick about this. I saw it coming. I warned you all, but you just laughed at me.
    So did the papers: http://omg.wthax.org/scan0001.jpg

Meh. You all got what you deserved. You voted those corrupt bastards into power, even though they were exposed as liars time and time and time again.
    Remember CJ and his island and arms importing business?
    Remember Bertie and his gambling wins?
    Remember Reynolds, his beef and his support of Harry Whelehan, that man who tried to extradite Fr. Brendan Smith to NI so that he wouldn't be charged with kiddy fiddling here?
    I remember them and their actions.

The party with a 3 seat majority who refused to allow 3 by-elections to take place. Not really democratic, is it?

Ahh well. I told you so.

Anyone know what route the march is taking ?
    Also , if its going to the Dail, will any of the politicians actually be there ?
    They're usually in the pub on a Saturday. Their locals and not the Daíl bar.

There's an election in January

Indeed. FF have done all the damage they can do.
    The deal with the IMF is going through. Don't try to fool yourself into thinking otherwise.
    You can scream and shout all you want, but it won't change a single thing.

The only way to change the current situation is by not voting for FF in January.

Lenihan is their next leader and, mark my words (or bookmark this post as the case may be), it's only a matter of time before we hear something about him.

One more thing. Let us never forget that this was allowed to happen: Pic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Terry wrote: »
    Like **** they are.
    Where were you two years ago when I tried to organise a protest?
    Amongst the laughing hordes no doubt.

You tried to organise one, nothing came to fruition then, if you had of succeeded we probably wouldn't be in this mess, maybe i didnt hear 'bout it 'cause I wasn't registered on here

Crosáidí wrote: »
    You tried to organise one, nothing came to fruition then, if you had of succeeded we probably wouldn't be in this mess, maybe i didnt hear 'bout it 'cause I wasn't registered on here
    You know, I quoted your post and thought to myself 'what if this dude wasn't registered two years ago. I should check his join date', then I just thought 'ahh, **** it. He probably was.'

Ahh well, you probably would have laughed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

The only time we cannot fail folks is the last time we try. I know we should have acted sooner, but that's not really important now, we have to get over ourselves and act now. In my humble view, Connelly did not die tied to a chair for our country to be dragged into the absolute shi*ts like this.

By the way, I don't believe we need violence to get this sorted out, but we do need a prolonged campaign of peaceful civil disobedience. Do we need to start burning cars and smashing shop windows, NO, but do we need to take this problem by the balls and turn out in huge numbers and STAY OUT and seriously disrupt the normal flow of business until such a time as we have an election and have a say??? Yes we do I think, it's time to say enough is enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

You know, I quoted your post and thought to myself 'what if this dude wasn't registered two years ago. I should check his join date', then I just thought 'ahh, **** it. He probably was.'

Ahh well, you probably would have laughed anyway.
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

god almighty. I was hanging onto whatever little hope i had until i read your post Terry but we're fcuked good and fcuking proper. protesting and marching wont do a thing.
    A revolution is whats needed. They simply cannot go on another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fouloleron

Folks, I for one will be there, I dont care if its not "my" march or that it might do a thing, I will be there.

Politics.ie has folks wearing green on the day, so if you going, it might be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Will be attending.

• Advertisement

The only time we cannot fail folks is the last time we try. I know we should have acted sooner, but that's not really important now, we have to get over ourselves and act now. In my humble view, Connelly did not die tied to a chair for our country to be dragged into the absolute shi*ts like this.

By the way, I don't believe we need violence to get this sorted out, but we do need a prolonged campaign of peaceful civil disobedience. Do we need to start burning cars and smashing shop windows, NO, but do we need to take this problem by the balls and turn out in huge numbers and STAY OUT and seriously disrupt the normal flow of business until such a time as we have an election and have a say??? Yes we do I think, it's time to say enough is enough...

Some more hope here in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Bi6N wrote: »
    shame on anyone who sits on their arse while the country gets f**ked

Country gets ****ed anyway, I wouldn't be on any march where the unions are out, they don't give a **** about the country either, not being represented by them (or have them claiming the people out on the street are in agreement with them)

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Some more hope here in this post.

I agree Civil Disobedience is the only solution

Any chance the country can come to an abolute halt next week and everybody get out onto the streets protesting.

colly10 wrote: »
    Country gets ****ed anyway, I wouldn't be on any march where the unions are out, they don't give a **** about the country either, not being represented by them (or have them claiming the people out on the street are in agreement with them)

If it helps, it looks like there is allot more than just the union heads going to this...

Fouloleron wrote: »
    I agree Civil Disobedience is the only solution

Yeah - very long and prolonged protests. violence would bring such protests to an end.

god almighty. I was hanging onto whatever little hope i had until i read your post Terry but we're fcuked good and fcuking proper. protesting and marching wont do a thing.
    A revolution is whats needed. They simply cannot go on another day.
    Or we could just not vote for FF in January. Just throwing that suggestion out there, folks.

Following that, we could always protest en masse to ensure that this never happens again.

Yeah - very long and prolonged protests. violence would bring such protests to an end.

What amazes me is the lack of willing of people to go. I know the "unions" are marching but this is a chance for me and you to voice our discontent.

Sigh, say it wont be until it hits the pockets of normal everyday people that we will do something.

Or we could just not vote for FF in January. Just throwing that suggestion out there, folks.

Following that, we could always protest en masse to ensure that this never happens again.

I think we know not to vote FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭scotchy

I'm going.

I'm assumming there will be a stage and speeches.

Ill be giving any FG, Labour or any union rep who tries to hi-jack the day a cool reception.

This will be our chance to let the unions know that they have a lot of blame to carry in this.

Power to the people:).

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement

If it helps, it looks like there is allot more than just the union heads going to this...

True, won't stop them claiming the support of all there though and I think more of the government than I do of the unions.

Sigh, say it wont be until it hits the pockets of normal everyday people that we will do something.

It has, long ago. There would be very few unaffected by this stage

You'd think that, but they will still have TDs in office after the next election.
    Corrupt people always have their ways and means of obtaining power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Really surprised at the poll results so far. Good to see so many are going to go. If it's a decent representation of the country as a whole there will be ten's of thousands there on Saturday. Really looking forward to people power.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What amazes me is the lack of willing of people to go.

It doesn't inspire confidence among other countries and investors. We need to project a strong unified image and a mass march which most which most likely will end in violence does not help to stabilize things.

If you want to do something then vote out FF in the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My signature pretty much explains why Ill be at it.

Personally I despise TEEU and most other trade unions in the country.

The reason the unions have so much interest in organizing this march is that they are shi*tng on themselves of the idea of a massive fire sale of state and semi state services when IMF complete their final audit. This will inevitably mean the collapse and power loss of unions to privatization.

The Fianna Fail government lied to us in the last general election, we were promised economic prosperity but they got it themselves in brown envelopes along with their buddy property developers.

The Finna Fail Government lied to us about Lisbon. We were promised prosperity and Jobs. In turn we have economic hard ship, mass unemployment and price tab of several hundred billion around out neck which will inevitably force us to hand our sovereignty, our resources and what ever little we have left to foreign hands.

Not one of our politicians, banksters or developers have been charged with economic treason and the selling off of our nation.

This is why I will be out on the streets on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

I'm not a member of any union or party but I'll be there because I'm a citizen of this country and my heart is breaking over what those LYING incompetents have done. I personally can't go another day looking at Brian Cowen's ignorant face. I want accountability for the part he and Fianna EPICFAIL have played in this countries demise and I want a general election now. I can't sit back and bitch and moan yet do nothing and just cross my fingers and hope for the best and pretend like this isn't happening. Why should my childrens' children suffer in order to bail out the bankers and the bondholders? I want my voice heard and I intend to do that by marching peacefully on Saturday. I will take pride in marching side by side with others who feel the same and who love their country enough to not think twice about giving up a couple of measely hours on a cold saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

colly10 wrote: »

Just want to say, I've absolutely NO political agenda whatsoever to push here for any party. I've also no association with any union and I've never been in a union.

If we do not act now, the next thing that we'll be asked to endure in this country will be that we'll have our savings taken into the custody of the state in the name of digging us out of the next stage of this nightmare.

That might sound completely outrageous, but there was a time when throwing nearly tens of billions of taxpayers money at a failed private bank sounded outrageous, yet it has come to pass and down to that decision, the country is now bankrupt.

There was a time when the notion of the IMF coming to Ireland and "micro-managing" our economy was considered outrageous if not pure insanity, yet I'm looking at the head of the IMF delegation on the news here as I type, walking into the Dept. of Finance building.

I'm not having another verse of it, the damage done to our country by this government would make Charles Edward Trevelyan look like Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and it's not that I "will not" accept it anymore, I simply CANNOT accept it anymore because as I said, the next stage of this will be our savings being taken into the care of the state in the name of "going forward", and "turning the next corner", and as I said, if anyone thinks that I'm mad for saying that, please refer to paragraph three above...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

And yet so many will.

TBH, so many will do all sorts of sh!t. Like not protest because someone else they don't like is doing so.

• Advertisement

My signature pretty much explains why Ill be at it.

Personally I despise TEEU and most other trade unions in the country.

The reason the unions have so much interest in organizing this march is that they are shi*tng on themselves of the idea of a massive fire sale of state and semi state services when IMF complete their final audit. This will inevitably mean the collapse and power loss of unions to privatization.

The Fianna Fail government lied to us in the last general election, we were promised economic prosperity but they got it themselves in brown envelopes along with their buddy property developers.
    Completely agree.
    The Finna Fail Government lied to us about Lisbon. We were promised prosperity and Jobs. In turn we have economic hard ship, mass unemployment and price tab of several hundred billion around out neck which will inevitably force us to hand our sovereignty, our resources and what ever little we have left to foreign hands.
    Completely disagree.
    We're getting a loan. That's all. Just a loan. Nobody is creating Ireland inc.

Not one of our politicians, banksters or developers have been charged with economic treason and the selling off of our nation.

Completely agree.
    We should begin with Berite. CJ is dead, so that corrupt bastard (who can't sue boards for me calling him that) can't be charged with anything.

Advertisement