Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Seaneh wrote: »
    The amount of apathy here is insane, you all piss and moan about the state of the country, the people in charge and what they are doing to us, what they are forcing on us and how it's not fair but rather than show your displeasure you belittle anyone who is willing to actually go and publicly voice their unhappiness.

Boards.ie, you never, ever change, do you?

Of course there's apathy, sure you might as well be flinging shít at a wall as shouting at Cowen to resign. He's not going anywhere for a few weeks and there's nothing legal that can be done about it due to his pure ignorance. I'm not going the whole way to Dublin to freeze my arse off in a tiny hope of making a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

i thought it was more complicated than that:confused:

i'd march if i just thought the boys were taking my money alright - but i assumed it was something to do with international markets, national budget deficits, collapsing banks and the like...

Yes it is more complicated than that, the fact is either way there a group of inept poloticians are negotiating on your behalf? are you happy with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

For anyone opposed to marching on Saturday, where were ye today
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1125/breaking38.html
    irishtimes.com
    Thursday, November 25, 2010

Some 40 people staged a silent protest outside the Dáil at lunchtime today calling on the Government to resign.

Organised by Dublin-based actor and satirist Morgan C Jones, the protest was arranged through the social media site Twitter.

Protesters stood silently outside the gates of Leinster House for over an hour from midday holding placards bearing the message “Your’re FFired”, “BuFFoon” and “The parish pump is rusty”.

Jones said the idea of the protest was to get the citizens out onto the streets in a “non-tribal” way.

He said while it is admirable to see people out on other protests, unfortunately there is “always an axe to grind…somebody’s in a political party, somebody’s in unions, it’s quite tribal.

"This goes beyond being in a tribe because we are all in the same club, we are all citizens.”

It is time for the public to actively reclaim citizenship as our “Icelandic pots and pans moment is long gone”, he said.

“We need a general election now, no matter what they say and we need it before the budget because letting the people who crashed the bus drive us home doesn’t make sense.”

Jones argued that said political reform is necessary and - although there is a sense of panic to fix things immediately - it will take a longer to remedy the problems facing the country. “It’s taken them more than a day to burn Rome, it’s going to take us a hell of a lot longer to fix it.”

The actor, who has been publicising the protest with the hashtag #YoureFFired on Twitter, also said he will organise future campaigns to keep an eye on “dynastic politics” and “dodgy double-dealings”.

“I’m an angry crank, these are angry cranks, we’re all getting together, be an angry crank it’s a good thing,“ he added.

Jones is one-sixth of the group of writers and actors collectively known as The Emergency. He and comedy partner Dermot Carmody also perform as Carmody & Jones.

Recently, Jones made a short video parody of the television advert in which former taoiseach Bertie Ahern promoted his newspaper column.

The Emergency also penned a single entitled Not doing any time to mark the arrival of the IMF this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

humberklog wrote: »
    I'm going. I oppose the government. I also don't like the trade unions nor Eiregi nor FF nor FG nor Labour...so I want my utter dismay at where we are and how we got here represented.

The more ordinary, non affiliated, people that go then the less the importantance of who organised it will be.

Until of course Eirigi or the unions take claim over the numbers that come out and say that all those people are against necessary austerity measures when that may not be the case. I'd rather not go, than go and be lumped in with a crowd I'd rather not be.

That plus the fact I have work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    people who express their anger about being made redundent and having their future sacrificed are scum? As opposed to people who sit in a bar all day?

how is this march about 'expressing your anger at being made redundant'? anyway, how is that the governments fault, surely it's your ex-employers?

btw, i wasn't calling everyone attending scum, but there will certainly be a scum element there and that's a fact. however, you are correct in general on your second point - i have no right to call anybody scum because i intend to have a bit of a session for meself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

maxxie wrote: »
    Its well for you mate, many families wont have a christmas this year!

So keep that in mind when your tucking into your christmas dinner!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH! That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

"Go and buy the biggest turkey............................from lidl."

I'm not rolling in it, but is it that bad?

Really?

how is this march about 'expressing your anger at being made redundant'? anyway, how is that the governments fault, surely it's your ex-employers?

btw, i wasn't calling everyone attending scum, but there will certainly be a scum element there and that's a fact. however, you are correct in general on your second point - i have no right to call anybody scum because i intend to have a bit of a session for meself.

well then I apologise mate I thought you were referring to everyone being scum at the march. Im marching because the government who got us into this mess are negotiating the terms ect on the bailout.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Until of course Eirigi or the unions take claim over the numbers that come out and say that all those people are against necessary austerity measures when that may not be the case. I'd rather not go, than go and be lumped in with a crowd I'd rather not be.

That plus the fact I have work!

I'm even bringing my 7 year old daughter. To show her that this should be how ordinary people demonstrate in a busted democracy. Get out in force with as many people that share your dislike...even if for different reasons and for different causes. It's the mixture that'll give it strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Crosáidí wrote: »
    For anyone opposed to marching on Saturday, where were ye today
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1125/breaking38.html

In work and not on twitter where that little number was apparently put together.

As a matter of fact if I had known about that, and was free I probably would have went along. 40 people is ridiculous though. They need to scale that up massively and advertise it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Yes it is more complicated than that, the fact is either way there a group of inept poloticians are negotiating on your behalf? are you happy with that?

point me to a capable politician and i'll take it back. i've already said i'd actually prefer brian lenihan to stay where is. it's made me no friends, but they'll all have a bucket of s'hit to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

chin_grin wrote: »

Really?

Its going to be a cold, cold Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Has there been any national notifications about this protest or is it all only happening on boards? We need as much people as possible knowing about this and showing up on saturday. have no part in organising this either.

i will be going. unfortunately today when telling people about a protest i have been met with remarks of sure what can we do. what would protesting do. i dont know. surely if large numbers show up and march the streets of dublin it would be the start of something. I would love to see at least 450000 on saturday - 450000 to represent all those unemployed right now.

im going because i do not want to sit on my ass and see this government run us straight to the fcuking ground. they have lied to the nation for years and drowning us all now. also for personal reasons. during the good years, i grew up in boderline poverty due to an abscent father. its only within the past couple of years that we have got on our feet. no way do i want to go back into poverty nor do i want to see anyone else in po

Really?
    SVP are struggling to meet the demand for families that need their help this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

btw, i wasn't calling everyone attending scum, but there will certainly be a scum element there and that's a fact.

Might be a scum element in the pub you'll be planting your arse in all day Saturday. Won't stop you going there though will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I'm even bringing my 7 year old daughter. To show her that this should be how ordinary people demonstrate in a busted democracy. Get out in force with as many people that share your dislike...even if for different reasons and for different causes. It's the mixture that'll give it strength.

I hope when the violent factions act up you will be getting her out of there.

Be careful man in case things kick off!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

The percentage of "scum" at the March will be very low compared to the percentage of scum in the Government/ Banks/ Developers Axil of Evil. You know, the cartel of thieves who are stealing our Sovereignty in plain view.

I dont like being robbed, ergo I will march.

Talk about a no-brainer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Anyone that is able to march on saturday but doesnt should be ashamed of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

point me to a capable politician and i'll take it back. i've already said i'd actually prefer brian lenihan to stay where is. it's made me no friends, but they'll all have a bucket of s'hit to deal with.

He is an EU Poodle. Sorry. Every major policy decision he has made in the last few years of dealing with this crisis has later been proven to have increased our problems exponentially. He does too little too late and then when he does something it turns out to be the totally wrong thing. For 2-3 yrs now every single time he has produced a set of figures they multiply like some kind of Irish economic problem moore's law. No bank left behind ? Guarantee all banks ? Take a EU 'bailout' at 6% interest leading us to €275 BN debt by 2014 (assuming nothing else goes wrong anywhere ever in the meantime). Sorry I did have respect for him at one point, I think he had integrity but now I don't trust his word or his abilities or his capacity to look beyond what the eu wants to seeing what Ireland needs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Really?

For some people it sure is Scrooge so id hold back on the laughter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No, i wont be Marching

There are a number of reasons.

1. Ive always avoided standing face toward the wind and pissing. And Marching now, is going to serve no purpose- the cuts are here soon and regardless of who is in power they will be made in sone shape or form.

2. What purpose will it serve? Yes great to vent anger and show you are mad, but trust me the government and politicans already know that

3. Ive a strong feling if there are any Sinn Fein at it, which there generally are - it will turn into a less than peaceful protest - i dont want to be associated with sinn fein and other hard left organisations - same goes if they were extrme right7

The only way this March would serve ANY purpose that would result in something of merit is if enough people marched against one specific cut - eg any proposed cut in public service pensions or the children allowance - otherwise you have 10000 people marching against all cuts, and trust me, it doesnt take a brain surgeon to realise that if every man woman and child in the state landed up to the march with the objective of stopping "all cuts" aint gonna happen. THE CUTS HAVE TO BE MADE. Im going to be a victom of the new taxes and cuts like everyone this march claims to stand for, but i do realise that reality is a mother****er.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Has there been any national notifications about this protest or is it all only happening on boards? We need as much people as possible knowing about this and showing up on saturday. have no part in organising this either.

i will be going. unfortunately today when telling people about a protest i have been met with remarks of sure what can we do. what would protesting do. i dont know. surely if large numbers show up and march the streets of dublin it would be the start of something. I would love to see at least 450000 on saturday - 450000 to represent all those unemployed right now.

im going because i do not want to sit on my ass and see this government run us straight to the fcuking ground. they have lied to the nation for years and drowning us all now. also for personal reasons. during the good years, i grew up in boderline poverty due to an abscent father. its only within the past couple of years that we have got on our feet. no way do i want to go back into poverty nor do i want to see anyone else in po

It is all over the media and net, Matt Cooper has been talking about it on his show, they said they're hoping for 100,000 people

k_mac wrote: »
    I hope when the violent factions act up you will be getting her out of there.

When she was only 2ish we ended up right in the mileu of the Love Ulster riots. :pac:. Really:o.

maxxie wrote: »
    For some people it sure is Scrooge so id hold back on the laughter!

Exactly. There are families out there that won't be able to buy a PS3 game for the computer they couldn't afford, or dvds to watch on the 42" plasma screen on their wall. Some will even be unable to buy booze. I feel sorry for the families that actually are in poverty. They must be sick at listening to people complaining because they have to give up their broadband and sky movies.

When she was only 2ish we ended up right in the mileu of the Love Ulster riots. :pac:. Really:o.

That's not really something to be proud of. Did it not teach you to keep her out of politics?

That's not really something to be proud of. Did it not teach you to keep her out of politics?

No she recalls it well...seen a car go up in flames.

I'm a photographer so go to a lot of these things.

On Saturday we'll both have our cameras. She loves photographing protest ect. now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Exactly. There are families out there that won't be able to buy a PS3 game for the computer they couldn't afford, or dvds to watch on the 42" plasma screen on their wall. Some will even be unable to buy booze. I feel sorry for the families that actually are in poverty. They must be sick at listening to people complaining because they have to give up their broadband and sky movies.

When i was a kid and we were **** poor, Santa brought me a wheelbarrow.. no not a plastic one, a garden wheel barrow.

Man i loved that present. I knocked every door frame out of the house with it.

Now i see parents (ironically the ones that can least afford it) spending 500 - 1000 quid on santa for their children.

Makes me shrug tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

i thought it was more complicated than that:confused:

i'd march if i just thought the boys were taking my money alright - but i assumed it was something to do with international markets, national budget deficits, collapsing banks and the like...
    Well you could pay attention to the point I was making or you could go off on a tangent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm busy that day unfortunately.

When's Pt II?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The nature of my job prevents me going, however I do wish anyone going all the very best. I hope its a huge success, with no violence.

Oh, I've advised my family to attend with the advice to get out when the trouble starts.

Advertisement