Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭h2pogo

I hope to go..Thanks to Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ing8xH3Qj-k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

No way would I go to a Union organised march. I can only imagine the spin Begg and Co. will put on it in the next few weeks if there is a massive turnout. "The people spoke on November 27th, everyone is against cuts to the Public Service" Ugh, vomit.
    So pick another protest. I'm sure it won't be the first, or the last. Years of more cuts to come. I'm sure you'll find a suitable group of people who won't grate on your sensibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ryaner012

i can't go i have to work. i ahve to take what ever hours i can get.

i will be there in spirt

VIVA LA REVOLUTION

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Not every person who is in a union works in the PS!
    Alot of union members work in the private sector.

I know alot of people who arent in unions that are going to this not because they support the unions but because they recognise the future of this country is at stake.

The EU and Merkle and the rest are trying to force a bailout on us to pay german and french banks. It will cripple us and could lead to a default.
    This is gone way beyond union and party politicals.
    Either way we need to but the days of squabling behind us.

This is my placard, feel free to copy and print off and pass on to your friends

fiannafailure.jpg

We need to act and act NOW.

If you can please come to this march.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

scotchy wrote: »
    Okay, maybe not worse. But to me, they're two sides of the same coin.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Advertisement

Won't make a difference. Look at the student march, most of the trouble was caused by SF, Eirigay and other groups. Didn't make much difference in the media. All the headlines in the papers will "Huge turn out at protest march by Trade Unions". They won't be "Huge turn out at protest march by trade unions except for Johnro, he was there on his own behalf."
    :D Like I give a sh1t about the headlines. I'd be venting my anger at the politicians along with a lot of other people. Period. What the media makes of it doesn't really matter to me. When thousands of students protested all over England most of the papers showed a pic of the ten or so yobs that demolished a police van. All over the front pages. That's the media for ya, they're part of the problem. F#ck 'em. Who the f#ck is Johnro?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

listen guys were all entitled to our opinions but some need to wipe the bull**** away from their mouths, I dont like the unions but I would march with the gay nazis to get this government out of power. If you cant stand on your own two feet for what you represent well go ahead sit at home, be the silent opposition sure we all know the those who make excuses not to join in the active protesting are the ones who really make a difference.

Dont march if you dont want to I dont want to know the reasons and if you present your reasoning make sure its not bs.Theres very few people on here defending the unions, their definatly not marching for the unions so its safe to say their in the minority.

Won't make a difference. Look at the student march, most of the trouble was caused by SF, Eirigay and other groups. Didn't make much difference in the media. All the headlines in the papers will "Huge turn out at protest march by Trade Unions". They won't be "Huge turn out at protest march by trade unions except for Johnro, he was there on his own behalf."

sitting at home mumbling it wont make a difference is an alternitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Just posted this in the Dublin Forum:

Well, I am definitely going. As an individual. On my own.

All through the Celtic Tiger Boom years, I was disgusted at the madness that went on, and the opportunities lost by the government to make improvements in this country while they had the chance.

Now, I am going to march because this debt belongs to the bankers, greedy developers and those who seem to think they are unaccountable because they have the two Brian's in their pocket.

No way should their debt be our sovereign debt.

No way should we accept the crippling interests rates of this bailout that we have no idea of what the consequences will really be.

No way should the poorest and most vulnerable in society be made to suffer the lion's share of the gross excesses that they did not cause.

I was initially reluctant to protest as I don't agree with the public service unions, Sinn Féin, Éirigí and the usual suspects, but feck them all, I am furious about what is happening, so I will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Crosáidí wrote: »
    I feel we have to make a stand in numbers to show that we won't stand for corruption cronyism and won't be walked over anymore.
    You don't have to like unions to protest.
    humberklog wrote: »
    The more ordinary, non affiliated, people that go then the less the importantance of who organised it will be.
    Tigerbaby wrote: »

We are faced with a criminal axis of evil in the Government, The banking system and the Developers. The developers have already robbed us through NAMA. The banking system is now trying to foist its debt upon the citizens of this Country. .

I will be there Saturday. I'm self-employed. I have no truck with the unions,

humanji wrote: »
    Yes that's it ladies, keep bickering amongst yourselves while the Brian's laugh at you and take your money.
    ilovesleep wrote: »
    Anyone that is able to march on saturday but doesnt should be ashamed of themselves.

RoodBoi wrote: »
    I personally think it's ridiculous for anyone not to go to this. Regardless of who is or isn't affilated with this march / protest. It's one big chance to, at least, try and make a difference.
    Fouloleron wrote: »
    What amazes me is the lack of willing of people to go. I know the "unions" are marching but this is a chance for me and you to voice our discontent.

Johro wrote: »
    That's just argumentative for the sake of it. You may not like the unions, or Sinn Fein members, or whoever might be taking part in the protest, but none of them are part of a paedophile organisation. Be reasonable. I'm not joining anyone 'as brothers'. I have a grievance which a lot of people share.

I agree with the idea of a public march to show dissatisfaction. That is one thing, but this is another thing of an entirely different nature.

This demonstration was called for & will be spearheaded by The Irish Congress of Trade Unions. There is no getting away from that fact. And the ICTU have only one thing on their agenda... whatever is best for themselves & their own members.

They have no interest in the greater good of the country.

And for that reason, I will be not attending under an ICTU banner.

People should really be aware also of who David Begg is... he is the head of the ICTU and on Saturday, he will without doubt be calling for heads to roll, spouting on about corrupt politicians, bank bailouts, cronyism and "power to the people".

Yet he is an integral part of the cronyism that this country needs to be done with.

Here are a few things he won't be mentioning on Saturday;

1. David Begg is a board director of the Central Bank & has been since 1995. This board - which also shares several board members with the Financial Regulator - were part of the banking system whose complacency & negligence are a huge part of the banking & financial crisis we are now in.

2. The ICTU's previous president (up to last year), was none other than Peter McLoone -friend of Fianna Fail and disgraced former head of FAS - who resigned in 2009 after the recent scandal involving the wasteful expenditure, including massive overspending on promotion at the agency.

3. By refusing to accept very modest wage reductions, by negotiating the ruinous Croke Park Agreement, and by opposing any and every effort to reduce public spending from the dizzying heights it had reached by 2008, Begg and friends helped send the message to the markets that the trade unionists were too powerful, and the Irish government too spineless, for genuine deficit reduction measures to take place.

So to all of you who think it's fine to march under the ICTU banner, then that's fine by me.... just as long as you know who it is whose banner you will be under, what they represent, who they are led by & the part they have played in the huge mess that you are going out to protest against.

If you really want to protest, I suggest that you start your march from the opposite end of the ICTU march, meet them in the middle & ask David Begg and his union cronies when are they going to accept their part of the responsibilty for the shit that this country is now in.

And then take the march up to the Dail... as the ICTU march isn't even going there.

• Advertisement

I agree with the idea of a public march to show dissatisfaction. That is one thing, but this is another thing of an entirely different nature.

This demonstration was called for & will be spearheaded by The Irish Congress of Trade Unions. There is no getting away from that fact. And the ICTU have only one thing on their agenda... whatever is best for themselves & their own members.

They have no interest in the greater good of the country.

And for that reason, I will be not attending under an ICTU banner.

People should really be aware also of who David Begg is... he is the head of the ICTU and on Saturday, he will without doubt be calling for heads to roll, spouting on about corrupt politicians, bank bailouts, cronyism and "power to the people".

Yet he is an integral part of the cronyism that this country needs to be done with.

Here are a few things he won't be mentioning on Saturday;

1. David Begg is a board director of the Central Bank & has been since 1995. This board - which also shares several board members with the Financial Regulator - were part of the banking system whose complacency & negligence are a huge part of the banking & financial crisis we are now in.

2. The ICTU's previous president (up to last year), was none other than Peter McLoone -friend of Fianna Fail and disgraced former head of FAS - who resigned in 2009 after the recent scandal involving the wasteful expenditure, including massive overspending on promotion at the agency.

3. By refusing to accept very modest wage reductions, by negotiating the ruinous Croke Park Agreement, and by opposing any and every effort to reduce public spending from the dizzying heights it had reached by 2008, Begg and friends helped send the message to the markets that the trade unionists were too powerful, and the Irish government too spineless, for genuine deficit reduction measures to take place.

So to all of you who think it's fine to march under the ICTU banner, then that's fine by me.... just as long as you know who it is whose banner you will be under, what they represent, who they are led by & the part they have played in the huge mess that you are going out to protest against.

If you really want to protest, I suggest that you start your march from the opposite end of the ICTU march, meet them in the middle & ask David Begg and his union cronies when are they going to accept their part of the responsibilty for the shit that this country is now in.

And then take the march up to the Dail... as the ICTU march isn't even going there.

yea thats lovely but as I said I have a spine and have no problem protesting in support of my own brand of justice

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

This is my placard, feel free to copy and print off and pass on to your friends

fiannafailure.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Haven't had time to read all the posts but don't take it out on the gardai, they're as pissed off as the next person but they will defend the state cause it's their job, they are not defending the corruption, if they don't hold the line the country is in total chaos and that's in no ones interest!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    yea thats lovely but as I said I have a spine and have no problem protesting in support of my own brand of justice

So you are going to use your "spine" to stand up to the government, while standing alongside an organisation whose leaders are also responsible for this mess?

That makes no sense at all.

That would be like suing a doctor for knowingly taking out a good organ & using the physician who diagnosed you incorrectly as your lawyer.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Haven't had time to read all the posts but don't take it out on the gardai, they're as pissed off as the next person but they will defend the state cause it's their job, they are not defending the corruption, if they don't hole the line the country is in total chaos and that's in no ones interest!
    #considering the garda commisioner recommened that the ministers have two gardai drivers I find that hard to beleive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Why isn't this thread closed there is a conspiracy theory or politics forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Now you have me starbelgrade.

So you are going to use your "spine" to stand up to the government, while standing alongside an organisation whose leaders are also responsible for this mess?

That makes no sense at all.

That would be like suing a doctor for knowingly taking out a good organ & using the physician who diagnosed you incorrectly as your lawyer.
    Did ya watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ing8xH3Qj-k ?
    There's a bigger picture here Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ZENN0

well I will be turning up and i think it is the duty of all irish people to turn up. this protest will be a quiet one there will be no trouble at all this is why you should turn up. the world is watching because at this moment in time news reporters from all over the world cannot understand why there is noone out there protesting and they are right. get up and go to this relaxing protest at least then you will have done your bit.

The people talking about the unions being there putting them off going must also have a problem with the majority of non union people going

• Advertisement

The people talking about the unions being there putting them off going must also have a problem with the majority of non union people going

Maybe but I think most people know what unions are about in this day and age. They have their own agenda not that of the people.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Maybe but I think most people know what unions are about in this day and age. They have their own agenda not that of the people.

yea very true its a good thing their in the minority in the march

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Now you have me starbelgrade.

I didn't have time to post a proper response earlier today, but I really believe that the ICTU are doing their best to use a huge feeling of dissatisfaction that most people have now, solely to their own ends.

David Begg is a very clever man... head of the ICTU, a director of the Central Bank & a board member of Aer Lingus.

But he is also a very cunning man & he will use this march to bolster his own status as the most powerful union executive in the country by playing on people's needs and fears.

He will do this by playing a "man of the people", without mentioning that he is a very rich man indeed, far removed from the ordinary people he pretends to represent & he will certainly not mention his own part that he played & is playing in Ireland's near bankruptcy.

And now, I'm gonna hit the hay, because I love sleep too. :p

FrostyJack wrote: »
    So let them have their agenda and back the people.

Did ya watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ing8xH3Qj-k ?
    There's a bigger picture here Star.

Jim Corr is a nut job.

yea very true its a good thing their in the minority in the march

thats not the right attitude to have ?. you will be going just to show your support that you don't agree with the cuts especially the minimum wage cuts. if any trouble happens just leave but i know nothing will happen. and i would advise anyone thinking of causing any trouble not to bother going into this protest because you will be removed on the spot of any sign of trouble.

So let them have their agenda and back the people.

I am antiprotest generally and I see no reason here to change my stance now. If people feel it will do good I support them, I feel now it's a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. I'm at a wedding on Saturday anyway :D

well if you are passing by show your support anyway there will be no trouble. anyone that causes trouble are just assholes and will be removed simple as that. goodluck on the day and have a peaceful protest. best of luck.

ZENN0 wrote: »
    thats not the right attitude to have ?. you will be going just to show your support that you don't agree with the cuts especially the minimum wage cuts. if any trouble happens just leave but i know nothing will happen. and i would advise anyone thinking of causing any trouble not to bother going into this protest because you will be removed on the spot of any sign of trouble.

were are you getting what I support from ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭graceanseo

The bottom line is if enough normal people turn out (as in people not associated with anything in particular) then we will out number these unions etc. I'm going without a doubt. I want to be able to look my daughter in the eye in years to come and know that if nothing else at least I tried to take a stand against this government. I will not be standing behind anyone's banner but my own (average sized sign yet to be decided upon) :)

I'm greatly ashamed of many peoples 'I'm alright Jack' attitude & 'sure it won't make a difference' If everyone stopped moaning an takes to the street until we are heard, we definitely can make a difference. The world is watching us now too.

Please attend and stand behind your own 'banner' I'm concerned for the future of this country that I love and the future of my daughter, not affiliated with anyone........

Advertisement