Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I and my family will be marching.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I honestly would but considering I have next to no money on me right now...........*opens wallet*

*moth flies out*

.......I think making a trip to Dooblin is out of the question for me.

Me + Dublin = That Simpsons episode where Homer goes to New York and wants to get out of there before sunset. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I honestly would but considering I have next to no money on me right now...........*opens wallet*

*moth flies out*

.......I think making a trip to Dooblin is out of the question for me.

Me + Dublin = That Simpsons episode where Homer goes to New York and wants to get out of there before sunset. :pac:
    Thats like me and limerick , but i keep going.

It is 50/ 50 whether i can go or not , Whether usually has a big bearing on these things . If the whether is like today dry and cold id say you will get a big turnout.

Hopefully it will remain peacful but peoples anger is clear. Its not usually what i approve of but are there any well known people speaking at this? A couple of buisness people would help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I would go but I think there's TV on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Bi6N

Me and quite a large number of friends will be going, shame on anyone who sits on their arse while the country gets f**ked

"Get up, stand up... stand up for your rights"

Only united will we solve anything :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I may go. I'm in two minds about it. One part of me thinks it's absolutely necessary. Ranting and raving about the mishandling of the country is worth nothing if you're not willing to do anything about it.

On the other hand, I'm wary of the groups involved. I'm concerned that the march is going to be hijacked by groups intent on taking it beyond a peaceful protest. Not to mention the idiots who will turn up just hoping and willing the protest will kick off into violence and destruction. If we were mature enough a people to keep it civil, I'd be there with bells on. Unfortunately a certain cretinous section of society will do anything for a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am not going to this. If there were no union involvement and it was a non partisan 'citizens' protest then absolutely - but as it is not - no.

Why the fúck are these things always organised by or hijacked by the likes of siptu and other unions?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Are they marching for any specific reason, or just to vent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Won't be going. No matter how much we protest now Biffo will ignore for the next few weeks and I just think it will descend into violence. People are too angry for an organised peaceful protest to work right now. After the stunts FF have pulled over the last week I can't see this going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

There's always a risk that it could descend into violence due to a small minority, I don't know why they think it is necessary, it just undermines the whole protest.
    I'm not affiliated with any group and will most likely be going in on my todd if i can't drag my GF along. I will be marching for myself and my family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

humanji wrote: »

I think it has something to do with the state of the economy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

I was going to go but the more I thought about it, and the kind of people that will be at it I decided against it. Yes there will be alot of people out to have a peaceful march, but you just know there will be a lot of scumbags their just looking for trouble. I can really see it turning into a something very messy, our anger at the situation were now in will be completely lost in the undoubted violence that is going to occur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm going for a peaceful protest in order to show that I don't support the actions of the government. I am angry but I do recognise that any other form of protest is counterproductive. It'll be interesting to see if many of folk who've been moaning about nobody doing anything will come along.

Biffo believes he's doing what's right, it's only in attending this that we can show him that a lot of people disagree.

Please God, don't let eirigi and SWP blow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Crosáidí wrote: »
    with the Unions, Jim Corr and other groups and individuals . You don't have to agree with either of their opinions

Why would I want to march with people I have no association with, whom I dislike immensely & above all else, don't agree with?

That makes no feckin' sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Morlar wrote: »
    I am not going to this. If there were no union involvement and it was a non partisan 'citizens' protest then absolutely - but as it is not - no.

Why the fúck are these things always organised by or hijacked by the likes of siptu and other unions?
    Maybe because people like you won't organise anything yet moan and whinge when someone else does. You don't have to like unions to protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Morlar wrote: »

A bloke wrote into the Irish Times during the week calling for a silent protest for two hours every Saturday up to Christmas at Merrion Square.

He's not a member of a union or any of the loony left organisations that like to shout slogans on megaphones.

So there you go. You could join him. I suspect you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I'm going, I would feel like a useless "keyboard warrior" only intent on ranting and raving but doing nothing about it, if I didn't go. And who wants to feel like a pathetic, useless, boring, twat????

Maybe because people like you won't organise anything yet moan and whinge when someone else does. You don't have to like unions to protest.

You don't have to protest to like the unions either.

Yes, I am aware that makes no sense.

You don't have to like unions to protest with the unions.

I don't have to like fianna fail or the greens to protest WITH them either but that's something else I won't be doing.

Why would I want to march with people I have no association with, whom I dislike immensely & above all else, don't agree with?

Sitting on your arse makes no sense either:confused:
    There'll be loads of individuals myself included marching, it's our chance to show the solidarity of the Irish people.
    If you are in Dublin I urge everybody to support the march, if they wish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Xmas party on the Friday night.. If its spills on into Saturday morning i might hang around... Protesting with breakfast roll in hand!!!!

Most likely will be nursing the mother of all hangovers!!

There'll be loads of individuals myself included marching, it's our chance to show the solidarity of the Irish people.

There's a big difference for me between showing solidarity with the people of Ireland & showing solidarity with the trade unions.

So sitting on my arse makes a lot of sense to me on this occasion.

A bloke wrote into the Irish Times during the week calling for a silent protest for two hours every Saturday up to Christmas at Merrion Square.

He's not a member of a union or any of the loony left organisations that like to shout slogans on megaphones.

So there you go. You could join him. I suspect you won't.

Why would I waste my time ?

A massive - NON PARTISAN protest agains this govt (or for that matter against the EU handling of this crisis) - I am there.

A SIPTU/UNION led protest - no fúcking way - they are a part of the problem and manipulating the gullible with populist economically insane bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

11 am is too early for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Whats this protest about exactly...Or is it just another rabble rabble attempt,in which Eirgi try too start **** and Sinn Fein claim we are selling our sovereignty(seeing as they dont seem too know what that word means,nor do they either have a basic understanding of economics)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

humanji wrote: »

Different reasons depending on the individual I would say. Mine is that a bunch of inept farmers are negotiating with the eu and the imf regarding a bailout that my children and grandchildren will be paying for. Im protesting for a girl I know that is in her penultimate year in college comes from an abusive home, payed her way through college and now with the increased fees, decreased aid prospects might have to leave college.

Good enough reasons for protest my only reservation is that a protest will be fruitless, the best minds in the country advised the government against pretty much every action they have taken in financial decisions yet they were ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

So you think whats happening in this country is a good thing?

Only way things will change is if people stand up and make them selves heard.

This country is a joke, people moan there arses off and let them selves get **** all over, and as soon as theres a chance for real change this "Ah sure, what can i do" attitude comes out and the cycle continues.

Grow some balls and get angry.

Out of curiosity - If it was organised by, for example UKIP or the BNP would you hold to the same notion that 'you can march WITH them without showing support FOR them' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I'm marching on Saturday with my family and friends
    when the budget was announced my Mother and Father said they can not
    afford all the tax increases, property tax etc theres just no way .... its mountjoy for my Father next year as he put it.

I'm doing it for them

• Advertisement

There's a big difference for me between showing solidarity with the people of Ireland & showing solidarity with the trade unions.

So sitting on my arse makes a lot of sense to me on this occasion.

Start your own march/protest then, i'll support you against the government

Advertisement