Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Opted for the hill repeats. I always mean to do them but have never actually done a session. I have had a few niggles over the last day or 2, so I figured these would help strengthen things up.

Went for the Tymon hill in Ecoli's log and figured 10 reps would be about right for me. It measured between .15 and .17 on the Garmin, fair wind blowing down the hill.

56,55,54,55,59,55,58,58,53,54. My lungs were about to collapse for the last 2. The only other time I've had that is when I did the mile on the track. Not a nice feeling. All reps sub-6 min pace, so happy with that.

8.1 miles @ 7:50 avg. Serious jogging going on for the recoveries. Got drenched again. It's a great excuse to skip the stretches and hop straight into the shower :cool:.

8.1 at 7:50. Total slog until the last 2. The legs are delicate after yesterday. Easy day again tomorrow then more mile repeats at 10k pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

cwgatling wrote: »
    Opted for the hill repeats. I always mean to do them but have never actually done a session. I have had a few niggles over the last day or 2, so I figured these would help strengthen things up.

Went for the Tymon hill in Ecoli's log and figured 10 reps would be about right for me. It measured between .15 and .17 on the Garmin, fair wind blowing down the hill.

56,55,54,55,59,55,58,58,53,54. My lungs were about to collapse for the last 2. The only other time I've had that is when I did the mile on the track. Not a nice feeling. All reps sub-6 min pace, so happy with that.

8.1 miles @ 7:50 avg. Serious jogging going on for the recoveries. Got drenched again. It's a great excuse to skip the stretches and hop straight into the shower :cool:.

Hiya Paddy, those hill repeats are hard enough without the wind. :D
    I done 6 x 800's ysterday @ 3.09-12. I want to try & get up to 10 x 800.
    Went up the w/works this mornin & done 15.2m @ 7.57. I'l have to start doing mile repeats now as well for Dublin :)

:D Too right! Has to be done. Good job on the 800's. I am a fair way off 10 myself. Injuries all ok? They must be if yer banging out 15 milers.

Lovely day for a run. 9 miles at 7:24. It just kept getting easier after mile 4.

Calf is grand, just having a few niggles with the glute/hamstring. Ive seen a guy in the gym that does structural balance & he has given me a programme to strenghten up my left side. So hopefully that will sort the niggles out.:)

• Advertisement

Sunday - 6 @ 7:11 I know I said I was going to do mile repeats, but I couldn't fit them in. And I was wrecked. I'll do 'em tomorrow (probably). Just under 50 for the week.

Tuesday - 9.1 @ 7:23
    Took about 4 miles to wake up then I picked up the pace. Last 3 all around 7:00.

Finally got around to that 10k workout today. Decided on 2x 2 mile and 2x 1 mile to be run at goal pace (about 6:00).

2 miles in 11:37 (5:50 pace), 3 mins rec
    2 miles in 11:54 (5:57 pace), 1 min rec
    1 mile in 6:08, 3 mins rec
    1 mile in 6:02

It was murder; no two ways about it. Massive thanks to tunguska who paced me the whole way and kicked my ass into hitting the times. No way I'd have done it by myself. I am thanking him now, but I hated his guts on that 5th mile :p

With w/u and c/d, 11 miles for the day.

A hilly 11.11 @ 7:27. Nice and cool, no wind. Enjoyed this one.

Sat - 4 @ 8:09. Dead tired. I was shuffling around. 4 hour hike in the afternoon.

Sun - no running. Saw Grinderman in Vicar St, cracking gig. 35 miles for the week. Not happy about that.

Mon - 9 @ 7:32. Very enjoyable in spite of the rain.

Tues - 5 @ 7:50. Just a handy run down to Tymon and back.
    Wed - 4 mile w/u, 3x 2 mile, 2 mile c/d. Work shifts have been all over the place and I haven't been sleeping right as a result. Grabbed 1 hour's kip at 5pm, woke up and jogged straight to the track. Felt like absolute muck.

Got into a decent group and the first 2 miler was done in 12:20. Then another lad and I pulled ahead for a 12:02 and 11:54. Felt great. Easy running now until Saturday night. Sub-38 or bust.

12 miles for the night.

• Advertisement

Good running, hope it all goes well in Dunshaughlin on sat nite:).

I entered the race series in the Phoneix park & also the Dublin marathon so let the training begin :D. Ive been doing the summer league in the club. There's a 4m next tues in the waterworks for the 1st time so that should be interesting to see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Tues - 5 @ 7:50. Just a handy run down to Tymon and back.
    Wed - 4 mile w/u, 3x 2 mile, 2 mile c/d. Work shifts have been all over the place and I haven't been sleeping right as a result. Grabbed 1 hour's kip at 5pm, woke up and jogged straight to the track. Felt like absolute muck.

Got into a decent group and the first 2 miler was done in 12:20. Then another lad and I pulled ahead for a 12:02 and 11:54. Felt great. Easy running now until Saturday night. Sub-38 or bust.

12 miles for the night.

Thats a tough session 3 days before the race isnt it? I'd say you'll go closer to 37 mins tbh, you're a little bit ahead of me at the mo. What tshirt you wearing on Saturday, i'll be keeping an eye out for you. In a navy blue London Heathside singlet myself, i'll be the English prick everyone will want to beat :)

Jacqui - yeah now's the time to start. Will be jumping into a plan very soon myself. Oooh, 4m at the waterworks. Looking forward to that one. See you there.

Brian - jesus, it probably was. Hopefully it'll be gone out of the legs after a few easy days. I'll be in the Tallaght singlet, red and yellow. You'd fit another 2 people into it along with me:rolleyes: Will keep an eye out for you and say hi - I'd say we'll be running close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Just in case I dont get a chance later on, good luck Sat night, sub 38 there for the taking :D

Fair play Ronnie, thanks. Will tear into it and hope for the best.

7 @ 7:50 today. Irish summers, you have to love them. Think my Kinvaras are f*cked. I will pick up a pair next week. Looking forward to giving this race socks tomorrow.

I had a lovely run this morning when it was nice & dry :). There's lots of sales on now at the minute so you should pick up a pair cheaper than usual. I got 1160's in Elverys with 26.2% off. They'r doing that for all their runners.

Sounds good Jacqui, will check it out first thing on payday :D

38:17 on the Garmin for Dunshaughlin tonight. What a race. Super course, support, feed afterwards. Got to be one of the best races in the country. Thanks to all.

Bit disappointed with my time, even though it's a PB. I was way too relaxed on the first mile and found it hard to hit the correct pace after that. Looking at the splits it's easy to see where those 13s could have been made up. I was in a good group of 3 guys from about mile 3 until mile 5. One of the lads said '1 mile left' and took off, I stayed on his shoulder and passed him with 800 to go. Pegged back a good few bodies after that, but the sub-38 was probably gone at that stage anyway.

6:14
    6:06
    6:09
    6:04
    6:19
    6:08
    5:30 (for .2)

I'm kicking myself looking at that 6:14, bloody hell. Silly mistake.

Met Abhainn and tunguska, who both ran unreal times. Brilliant night all in all.

12.6 @ 7:58. Lovely weather. Had great company on this run. If I was by myself it'd have been a 4 miler.

53.5 for the week.

Well done on Dunshaughlin. Good time. There will be other races to make up your time. :)

It was very warm ystrday morning. I done Slade & up to the county line with the guys, 16.62 @ 8.02 pace. I hadnt done Slade in a year & forgot how tough that hill stretch could be :eek:.
    Took it handy today with a 5.8m. Club race tomorrow nite in the WW

Thanks Jacqui. 6m/m is a serious barrier for me at the moment.

That Slade route is the very first run I did with the club, I thought I was going to die. Coming down is actually worse IMO. Must head up there again soon. Will see you at the waterworks! No excuses for not knowing the course anyway :cool:

4 with a few strides today. Legs ok, but 0 energy.

• Advertisement

Great race this evening up at the Bohernabreena waterworks. I am up there every second day so it was really home territory. Lovely evening and a nice crowd.

First 2 miles are uphill, last 2 downhill. 2 other lads and I took the lead right from the start at about 6:00 pace. We stuck right together for the first mile but lost 1 guy on a steep incline.
    I often train with the other fella and I knew he was just staying beside me, planning to outdo me in the last 800, so I played along until halfway then let him have it. He didn't come back at me so it was just a matter of holding on. I wasn't taking any chances so I kept the foot down and didn't let up.

The course was a bit short. 23:04 for 3.95 miles and 1st place.

The thing I'm most happy about is the splits.
    6:05
    6:13
    5:38
    5:07 (for .95)

5:51 avg pace. Thank Jaysus. If I'd seen another 6:0x I would have puked.

Jacquib was first lady to cross the line, if I remember correctly - congrats Jacqui!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

5:51 avg pace. Thank Jaysus. If I'd seen another 6:0x I would have puked.

Amazing pace, congrats on the first place!!

Thanks Neil, hope your own training is going well.

4 @ 8:00 today to recover. Legs are delicate. It probably didn't help that I was running on concrete in racers.

Wel done Paddy. It was a great race, the other guy was none 2 pleased:D
    Yeah I was 1st lady home. It was tough enough going up, but I caught a few on the hills as I wud b strong going up hills but unfortunately im useless at going down them & they caught up with me. Think I'l have 2 practice going down hills :rolleyes:. Was happy enough with the time. My last mile was 6.04:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Brilliant running in Dunshaughlin, Brian. Didn't even get a look at you. Keep it going, you'll have a great marathon in the Autumn.
    Cheers. I was looking out for you the first mile or 2 and at the finish. I thought you had a DNS tbh, no Tallaght singlets to be seen.

Tallaght singlet? Was it you I nearly tripped up when I shouted for my bag to be collected from the start line by claralaras hired help? :pac:

Hi RQ,
    It must have been because there were only 3 of us racing and I was the only one in the singlet!

Great session last night, my favourite: 10x 400m at 80s off 1 min. They were all within 1s of the 80, though the last one was a few seconds faster. 9 miles for the night.
    Another lunchtime run today, so it'll be 4 at 8:00 or so.

Sat - 4.2 @ 7:02
    Sun - 9 @ 7:26
    42 for last week. Even with no rest day, this was unintentionally low mileage. Have to keep an eye on that.

Mon - 10 @ 7:04. Great run on a nice day.
    Tues - 10 miles again and a 1 mile race in the middle of all that. 5:07 for the mile, which was ok. Good enough for 2nd place. Should have been a bit more aggressive on the 3rd lap. Breaking 5:00's not going to be easy!
    Wed - hope to get 5-6 in this afternoon.

8 @ 7:30. This week's shaping up nicely. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks without a rest day.

Fri - 11 @ 7:08 immediately followed by a skinful of drink. Was working late Sat so no running.
    Sun - 11 @ 7:00. 4 or 5 MP miles in here.
    Mon - 4.5 @ 7:40. Might be racing again tomorrow, so kept this one pretty easy.

Got to start doing LSR's. Will try to get a 16 miler in this week at some stage.

• Advertisement

Hiya Paddy, I thought you would have done the race on tues nite. Your friend won it as he must have known you werent going 2 run it :rolleyes:. I didnt do it. Im doing the 5m on sat.
    We'l be doing about 18 on sunday from the club @ 8am if thats any good 2 you.

Advertisement