Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Thanks a million lads, fair play. Hopefully I can reproduce it and I haven't shot my bolt for the year.

4.5 @ 8 today. Recovery run. 67 mile week ahead with a tough 21 miler Sat.

9.1 at 8:00. Easy run. Mile repeats at T pace tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

cwgatling wrote: »
    9.1 at 8:00. Easy run. Mile repeats at T pace tomorrow :(

We'll be doing mile repeats tomorrow aswell. Meeting at 2:30 if you're around.

2 miles WU, 8x 1mile tempo off 30s, 2 miles cool down.

Miles were 6:13, 6:16, 6:14, 6:11, 6:13, 6:19, 6:19, 6:17. I was dreading this but it was actually ok. Being on the track helped. Bastard of a wind in the back straight.

12.5 for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

2 miles WU, 8x 1mile tempo off 30s, 2 miles cool down.

Miles were 6:13, 6:16, 6:14, 6:11, 6:13, 6:19, 6:19, 6:17. I was dreading this but it was actually ok. Being on the track helped. Bastard of a wind in the back straight.

12.5 for the day.

Very solid session. Training seems to be going very well recently good to see. You rarely can escape the wind on that track when there is any bit of wind you always feel it more coming down that home stretch. Was doing a session myself last night and wind was a killer.

Keep it going and there will be plenty more PBs being re written over next few months

• Advertisement

Thanks Ecoli. Indeed, it's always a tough stretch on that last 100!

Thurs - 11 easy. Left the Garmin at home. I'd guess about 7:40 pace
    Fri - 6 easy. Hilly route. 7:55 pace.

20 miler w/tempo tomorrow and an easy day Sunday.

One of those killer Daniels sessions today: 2 easy, 2x 2 mile tempo off 2 mins, 10 miles easy, 3 miles tempo, 2 easy. Headed out to the Phoenix Park and could hardly open the car door with the wind - great!

First tempo was ok, the wind was not head/tail, it was kind of blowing across. 6:25 pace
    The second one was tougher. 6:33 pace. Not too bad considering the conditions.

10 miles very easy @ 7:42.

Last 3 tempo: 6:23, 6:30, 6:39. Going steadily backwards.
    1 easy back to the car. Hobbling, dehydrated mess. Glad that one is over.

20.3 for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Wel done Paddy, im headin out in the mornin wi d lads 2 do bout 22m & I believe its just to be as bad:rolleyes:

I went & watched that race in firhouse today. Glad I wasnt doing it as they had the wind twice coming up the firhouse rd. Eon done it after doing 12m

Cheers Jacqui, let us know how you get on. Ha, yeah I was talking to Eoin. Some warm up and a great race too.

5.7 easy @ 7:50. Severely hungover. Thank God I did the session yesterday and didn't leave it until today.

68.8 for the week. Next week is going to be about the 60 mark which is good because of the half in the park.

• Advertisement

That was a killer yesterday in that weather:eek:. 1st 11m was ok. We took in some of the marathon route via Inchicore & up on to the crumlin rd. Last time I ran on the Crumlin rd was when I done Dublin 07. I forgot how long that rd can be & especially when its windy:(. Then we went up to the Walkinstown roundabout & up Greenhills rd back to the club. Last few miles were a killer. We done 21.5m, pace was a little slower than usual but conditions werent great.

The run in Tymon today wasnt much better:).

Tough route Jacqui. Never enjoy that Greenhills road. They all count; 5 or 6 more long runs and we'll be done for the year!

Mon - 8 @ 7:42
    Tues - Track session - 12x 800 off 70s.
    Really windy again.
    2:59
    2:58
    2:52
    2:50
    2:49
    2:53
    2:53
    2:46
    2:49
    2:51
    2:50
    2:54

Phew. Haven't done that many 800's in months. The last 1 was hard. 8.8 for the night. Easy going now until the half. Not expecting a PB but will do my best.

Them 800's r tough going. I only done 8 ystrday on d track.

I dont think any1 will be going for pb's on sat as by all accounts the weather is to be bad again at the weekend:eek:. Have a good 1 if I dont see you there on the day:D

Too right: bad weather; tough course; nearing the end of marathon training - loads of excuses!

Wed - 5 recovery at lunchtime. 7:50 pace
    Thurs - 9.25 easy in Tymon. Bumped into a girl from the club so the middle miles flew. Was at 7 before I knew it. Beautiful weather.

Going to take tomorrow off because it worked well before the last race. Medium long on Sun and I'll be sorted for mileage. A few niggles are creeping in so the physio is due a visit.

Fri - off
    Sat - Dublin 1/2 Marathon
    Didn't have high expectations for this one after running my best race to date a fortnight ago in Waterford. Got an early night last night and spent most of it dreaming about racing :o.
    It was pretty windy in the park but the sun came out as we were lining up. As usual, the first mile was tough. 6:30 pace felt uncomfortable and the thoughts of another 70+ mins were not encouraging.

Luckily enough I relaxed into it and the first 6 ticked away nicely. 6-7 was great, heading up Chesterfield Ave. Saw plenty I knew tearing down the far side and it was great motivation to press on despite the wind and the drag of a hill. I made hay on the 7th with the wind at my back. North road was a slog. There were loads of little groups but I was on my own mainly. Bit of a risk but I was feeling pretty ok so kept pressing. 11 came and it was a gift. Downhill, tailwind and I ran at a nice clip with a Sportsworld guy until 12. Knew I had to go for broke if I was to get a PB. Got super encouragement on the last mile from people I knew and also from spectators from other clubs. No excuse for slacking off.

Splits were pretty consistent:
    6:29
    6:27
    6:22
    6:21
    6:26
    6:28
    6:10
    6:13
    6:26
    6:23
    6:16
    6:05
    5:47
    0:54 for .17

Time 1:22:49

Totally spent at the finish. Great day out. Had a nice chat with a lad from Dunboyne AC before heading home for a sandwich, can of lager and a 2 hour nap.

13 easy tomorrow. 2-3 more tough weeks left in this plan.

Great running Paddy.

Banging out two sub 83 Halves in the short period shows you have the strength over the longer distances. There is no reason why you cant hit a solid sub 2.58 atleast come the marathon. Main thing now is getting through the last few hard weeks staying on your feet. Be sure to wrap yourself in cotton wool for new few weeks (sleep, food, etc) and there is no reason why you can't bang out a cracking Marathon

Keep it up

Thanks Ecoli. Sound advice there you are dead right. A full summer's training building up to 1 day, got to watch it! Jesus, 2:58 and I would be one happy man.

13.5 at 7:51 today. Bit sick of Tymon so I headed out with no particular route in mind. Did a few laps of Bushy Park and the Rathfarnham 5k route. Lots of concrete, but the legs feel good. Perfect weather for running.

60.6 for the week.

Jesus, 2:58 and I would be one happy man.

Given you ability to hit long runs day after these halves the strength is there for the full distance and I have seen a few lads who have run similar times as you for the halves aiming for low 2.50s so there is no reason why you can't

super runnin Paddy. If u keep d head u shud get sub 3hrs :D

Weather wasnt as bad as I thought it was gona be. Happy enough with my time. I ran it a bit faster than I had intended. I done 7.05 pace. Done 3m b4 & 4m after so got 20m in total. The body wasnt 2 bad today. Done an easy 8m in Tymon.

Thanks for the vote of confidence man. I will give it everything on the day, no two ways about it.

Cheers Jacqui, that's a great day's running, good job. A few of the lads said the same, that they were going to do it at MP and ended up half racing it. Competitive nature coming through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

great result , welldone , i like you style for the after race treat , sandwich , can of lager and a nap , brilliant !, must try that , sounds like a good recovery remedy ! did you feel like a new man after ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Great running, your last 10k was faster than you ran in Dunshaughlin which says it all. You have to be the favourite next time we race. No more races now till Dublin is it? Rathfarnam might be a bit much. Keep the head down now for the next 5 weeks, you've mastered the half but the marathon is a different beast so dont let complacency set in.

Well done yourself Seres, brilliant stuff especially for your first half marathon! Haha, cheers yeah that combo is a post-race favourite. Protein shakes be damned :p

Thanks a mill Brian. Well spotted, I didn't notice that. Won't be doing Rathfarnham but might do the Novices XC. Too right, I'll be sticking to the plan as closely as possible now until Dublin. Best of luck in Berlin, give 'em hell.

10.2 easy today. 7:47 pace. Just cruising around Tymon. Saw Jacquib haring up one of the pitches. Left quad is sore but I have physio tomorrow. Should be grand.

Won't be doing Rathfarnham but might do the Novices XC.

Good job in the park saturday dude, I think 2:58 or 2:59 is a soft target though. I know you're wary of blowing up (or passing out)but If you can run 82mins for the half and have done your long runs, 2:54 looks well on. Sure you have to be smart when it comes to the marathon, but you gotta be ballsy too, controlled aggression.

Not so sure a cross country race is ideal right now man though, the chances of injury are too great, plus you have to ask yourself is it even relevant to the marathon? I'd stick with rathfarnham if I were you. Myself and Niall will be doing a long run after if you wanna jump in with us. 5k session + long run = Good days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

tunguska wrote: »
    Good job in the park saturday dude, I think 2:58 or 2:59 is a soft target though. I know you're wary of blowing up (or passing out)but If you can run 82mins for the half and have done your long runs, 2:54 looks well on.

+1

great running on saturday cwgatling. You were only a minute or so after me and I'm aiming for sub 2:50 at DCM. You can definitely go somewhere around low 2:50's if you pace it well on the day

Hey thanks Eoin, great running yourself. Top twenty out of 8500, ya bloody animal.

I'm not sure man, remember the state of me after that MP run in the park? I have 1 more of those MP runs, will try it at 6:45 pace and see how that goes. Might need your services for that one ;)
    Good call on the XC. It's pretty irrelevant alright. I'm away this weekend, pity because that 5k is a cracking race.

20.2 @ 7:56 today. 2 laps of the hilly loop up around Bohernabreena. Love this run. It's really scenic and the miles fly. 1800 feet up and down. I had a gel but didn't use it, just grabbed a few handfuls of blackberries.

Last run in my 20's, I turn 30 tomorrow :(

jaymack75 wrote: »
    +1

great running on saturday cwgatling. You were only a minute or so after me and I'm aiming for sub 2:50 at DCM. You can definitely go somewhere around low 2:50's if you pace it well on the day

Thanks a million Jaymack. Will give it everything on the day. Maybe hit 13.1 at 1:28 and go from there. Best of luck between now and then; keep us posted.

I have 1 more of those MP runs, will try it at 6:45 pace and see how that goes. Might need your services for that one ;)

Last run in my 20's, I turn 30 tomorrow :(

No problem man I'll definitely help you out with that MP run. Doing an MP run with Phil next friday so might need a loan of your garmin for that day if its possible(Phil still hasnt figured out how to use his).

Happy birthday by the way, are you running tomorrow? Im hitting the waterworks for an easy 11 in the morning if you wanna hop in.

Course, yeah that's no bother. 15 miles at 5:30: my garmin won't know what hit it!

Thanks man, I'll be running alright. Like 10am or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

We're very close in our half marathon times. I'm sneakily (!) taking a little encouragement from some of the posts. If you can go sub3, maybe I can too!

Advertisement