Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Great running Jacqui - enjoy the break!

Fri - 6 at 7:28
    Sat - 4 at 7:32
    Sun - 21.7 at 7:21

This was 2 mile w/u, 2x 11 at T pace, 10 miles easy, 3 miles at T pace, 2 mile warm down. T bits were 6:15, 6:12 and 6:27 for the 3 miler. It was nice to get this one right after some recent dodgy tempo sessions. All done on the towpath by the river Barrow, so flat as a pancake.

62.9 miles for the week.

5.7 at 7:15 during lunchtime. The last 2 miles were around MP and felt pretty comfortable. Got a good chase from a jack russell. I'd say the little f*cker drove me to a 100m PB :D

The plan for this week is to take the mileage down a fair bit and do a 15 mile MP run on Sunday.

Tempo run tonight. I've been pretty tired this week, so I wasn't looking forward to this. Bloody work getting in the way of real life :rolleyes:
    I grabbed 20 mins sleep after work, can of coke then out the door.

2 miles w/u, 4x 11 mins tempo, 2 miles w/d. Bit of a coup for me as I didn't drop any time on the hilly sections. T bits were 6:18, 6:18, 6:18 and 6:25. Glad it's over; easy running until Sunday.

11.25 miles at 7:00 avg.

5 easy miles at 7:40. Very blustery out there. Runner's nightmare. It's been a successful month, training-wise, with 240 miles and only 4 days off. 598 miles YTD.

Fri - 3 at 7:00. Squeezed this run in to a busy day.
    Sat - 9.2 at 7:40. What a day to be out and about. I enjoyed every minute of this run. The tempo miles must be starting to pay off; this felt like no effort at all. Let's hope tomorrow feels as easy :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Wel done Paddy, ur gettin sum serious trainin in now. Nearly time for the tapering period which I always hate.

Back from my hols, done a few short runs over there, it was too warm & beach wasnt great to run on as it was slanty :D. Calf is feeling grand. Back to normal training tomoro.

Cheers Jacqui, welcome back. Sounds like a good break.

Sun - 17.5 with 15 at MP (7:09 avg). This went very well, except the last mile. I never bring any water/gels on training runs and usually I'm ok, but I really felt it on the 15th MP mile. It cost me about 30 seconds.

Mon - 4 miles recovery up at the Hellfire Club. I always find the first mile of this very tough, but it's worth it for the views. 7:49 pace.

I forgot what it was like to run in the Irish blustery weather. Im not liking this wind at all. Legs are feeling very heavy. Mayb im still jetlagged :).

Are you doing the Bupa 10k on sun paddy? Im glad im not now cause I dont think I would be able to do much.

I know, it's bloody terrible. Ah, give yourself a few days to get back in to the swing of it. Yep I'm doing the 10k. I just hope the wind dies down a bit. The course sounds tough enough without a gale blowing. I'm down for that road relay as well the following weekend.

Track tonight to whip the legs into shape!

3 miles warm up at 8:00 followed by 6x 800 off 75 secs recovery. Splits:
    2:51, 2:50, 2:46, 2:51, 2:45, 2:47. I enjoy this speedwork I have to say.

2 miles warm down at 8:30. I think I'm going to drop the scheduled 2.5 hour run to keep fresh for this 10k. I'll get at least 2 or 3 more 20+ milers in between now and the marathon, so should be safe enough.

• Advertisement

I enjoy doing d 800's as well. Ive gotta get back 2 doing them. Im doin road relays as well. I have 2 try & get sum speedwork in :).

I wudnt be doing a long run before the 10k as it will still be in your legs & the course is tough enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

you would be mad to bo the long run before the 10k.you will get a better kick froma strong run in the 10k and that set of 800's will have you spot on.savage training log btw.

Thanks for the advice lads. You're dead right.
    400s would even do you if you're racing the mile Jacqui. I'll be doing a few tomorrow evening if you are around.

4 miles at 7:11 tonight. Hilly enough run. Lovely warm evening.

I was going to try some speedwork today but my legs are dead. I wont be able to get up tomorrow nite. I mite try some hill repeats in Tymon on fri if the legs are up to it. I'l probably be doing the 2m leg of the relay. Dont be doing too much tomorrow nite, keep the legs fresh for sun :D

Good luck with the hills Jacqui. I was chatting to Sharon at the club tonight, she's racing the 10k as well.

1.8 warm up and warm down at 7:45 and 5x 400m: 1:19, 1:17, 1:17, 1:16, 1:14. Another lovely night outside. Wind has really died down. Rest tomorrow and a few easy miles Sat before going all out on Sun.

The hills were a killer, times were the same jus the legs are dead :D. Done WW this mornin, 11.23m, 7.51 pace. Lovely mornin up there.

Good Luck with the 10k tomorrow. Would have liked to have gone & watched it but unfortunately I'l be lucky if im in bed before 5 tomorrow morning :)

5am!? Night on the tiles? I was at a birthday party but got home early and didn't drink.

Great Ireland Run today. Gorgeous weather for it. My A goal was sub 38, and I pretty much took a week out of my marathon plan to prepare for this race. Came out with 38:27, and I'm happy with that. I definitely did not have anything left in the tank. I don't think anyone passed me from 4-5k until the end and I caught a good few lads on the (seemingly endless) home stretch. Met up with Tunguska again who had a cracking race in spite of a long layoff. Had a pint with the lads from the club before heading home. Enjoyable day.

Splits: 6:10, 6:07, 6:04, 6:10, 6:20, 6:09, 5:28 (for the last .2).

No more racing for me until the big one (Kildare. T-5 weeks). Going to have a pretty high mileage (for me) week next week and focus on nailing the Q sessions.

I wasnt far wrong, 4.45am when I got to bed. Great night.

Well done on your time, it was very hot for the race. Your splits were fairly even apart from the sprint at the end :D. Wot time did Eoin do?
    You wont feel the next few wks going in now. My brother in law done the Paris marathon in 2:50 today & it was 28degrees.

Sounds like a good one!

Thanks, though a 6:20 sneaked in there somehow :rolleyes: Yeah it was hot alright. Eoin did 35-36. No bother to him. Viv came in in 41 mins. Jesus fair play to your bro-in-law - that is some going.

Mon - 5.5 at 7:46. Quads a bit sore, but everything else A1.
    Tues - Plan had 1 hr easy, 6x 5:30 at T pace, 15 mins easy. I timed it badly so it ended up as 40 mins easy, tempo stuff, no cooldown. Good splits though: 6:14, 6:17, 6:13, 6:17, 6:18, 6:08. These were off 1 min recovery.

I made up the few miles in the evening with 4 @ 7:32.

15.25 at 7:13 for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

cwgatling wrote: »
    Tues - Plan had 1 hr easy, 6x 5:30 at T pace, 15 mins easy. I timed it badly so it ended up as 40 mins easy, tempo stuff, no cooldown. Good splits though: 6:14, 6:17, 6:13, 6:17, 6:18, 6:08. These were off 1 min recovery.

Good run in the park Paddy. When are you planning on knocking out that 15mile marathon paced run?

cwgatling wrote: »

Good going Paddy. Your probably still tired from your race on sunday.
    I done 8 x 400m @ 87-90secs with 45sec recovery. Calf was niggling a bit on the 7th. Its very tight tonite. Hopefully in the morning it'l be ok. Just going to go easy rest of the week as im doing the road relays on sun. Hope its ok for that.

Thanks Eoin - well done yourself. Hope the cycle went well today. I'll be doing that session the week after next. 19 with 15 at MP (7:05-7:10). Be good to have you along!

Cheers Jacqui, yeah tired enough but if I can get over this week it's plain sailing (kinda). Good work on the 400s. They'll set you up nicely for the weekend. Sub 12 for the 2 miles? I'll be doing track on Thursday, I think.

Wed - 5 at 8:00. This was murder! Hard running took its toll here. Light headed and absolutely no energy. Nice day though.

Thurs - 4 at 8:00 to warm up. Some of the lads were doing a 1 mile time trial on the track for the road relays so I said I'd jump in. It was my first time going flat out for a mile, so good experience. Came out with 5:08. If I hadn't been dead last with nothing to chase I might have gotten it a bit lower :P
    2 more miles at 8:00 to warm down.

Wel done, take it easy for the road relays on sun :D

Thanks Jacqui - turns out I can't do it because of work. Raging. Would have been a bit out of my depth in the National seniors anyway. Best of luck with it, give it a good lash.

6 @ 7:45 today. Legs very delicate after the mile effort.

After a mile :rolleyes:.
    Met Viv @ the club this morning & we done a handy 7m in the park. Calf still not 100% but i'l give it a lash on sunday. Its only 2m. Hopefully I wont b toooooooooo slow :)

I know! I'll never make a miler. My lungs still haven't recovered. I will do my best to get sub 5 this summer though.

AM - 4.25 @ 7:25
    PM - 4 @ 7:32
    Handy runs just to bump up the miles.

Tough session ahead tomorrow - long run with tempo mixed in.

Gud luck with that. Hope it goes to plan.

Calf is feeling grand today, so im hoping its ok for tomorrow:)

• Advertisement

Dead on my feet today, it's been a hard week. Plan was for 2 miles w/u, 4x 5:30 @ tempo pace off 1 min recovery, 10 miles easy, another 4x 5:30 at tempo pace, 2 miles w/d.

Had a quick look at the splits before heading to work and all the T bits were between 6:07-6:17. I really had to concentrate to hit the last 4.
    21.75 miles for the day. 69.75 for the week. Don't think I even hit 40 miles last week.

The inside of my right knee is really sore. It'll be grand though, mileage will be around 50 next week.

Advertisement