Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Wel done Paddy. It shud be easy from here on in till the mara :D

Had a gud run in Road Relays, was pleased with my run. We got 3rd bronze medal in the master ladies :). It boosted my confidence with not having raced in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Well done Jacqui! 3rd place is deadly, fair play to ye. You did the 2 mile leg, right? Some serious competition out there I'd say. Great day for it.

Thanks, yeah it'll (hopefully) be a lot easier because of the reduced mileage.

yeah I done the 2m leg, well actually is was 2.04m:D in 12.34 so was happy enough as las yr I was 12.22 so didnt lose dat much time

Bit of a layoff with that knee. Sunday and Monday I could hardly walk, was using the stairs like a crab, getting out of the car like a 90 year old etc. I went for physio but it didn't help.
    So I tried the GP, and he gave me some good anti-inflammatories (Difene). They've worked, kind of. I know it's just from overuse and if I stayed off it for a fortnight it'd be fine. With Kildare in 3 weeks, I don't have the time for that, so I'll keep going with the tablets and gel. Fingers crossed. Everything else is A1.

8 miles at 7:21 today. Knee stiff, but nowhere as bad as it was. 22 miles easy tomorrow!

Hiya Paddy, thats a pity about the knee. Try not overdo it, most of the work has been done. You dont want to get to the race on the day & the knee to be at you in the middle of the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

hope the knee improves,what did the physio say or do?

Thanks Jacqui, yep gonna take it as easy as possible. It's going to hurt enough anyway, sore knee or not :D What's the craic with your training? When's the next race?

Cheers thirstywork - he did mobilisation on it and gave the quad a going over. Said it'd be ok in 2-3 days but I think it was pretty inflamed. Still hurts on every step but not too bad. Good week for you, fair play.

Sat - 21.5 at 7:47. Lovely day but this got pretty boring after the 2.5 hour mark. Tried out some Clif Shot blocks - yum.
    Sun 7 @ 7:41. Seriously hungover run.

36.6 for the week.

Im up in my hometown of Derry 4 d wkend. I done 12m ystrday @ 7.47 pace with the lads up here. Calf is going grand. I might do rte 5m on sat if not im thinking of doing sportsworld 5m. Im not going to bother with the 5-10k training programme now as ive decided to do Dublin so im going to get stuck into the marathon plan.

You'l b tapering down now. I hate that last week before the marathon as I always feel you arnt doing enough & u feel wrecked but its just ur body getting ready for the big 1 :D

Good going Jacqui. The marathon plan will definitely get you under 40 for 10k anyway. There's a fair bit of fast stuff for the first 6 weeks.

Jesus, I know. Not long left now. Looking forward to it - if I can just shake off this knee thing.

Tuesday - 7 at 7:32
    Wednesday - 6 at 7:41
    MP mile for the last mile on both runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

cwgatling wrote: »
    Good going Jacqui. The marathon plan will definitely get you under 40 for 10k anyway. There's a fair bit of fast stuff for the first 6 weeks.

Jesus, I know. Not long left now. Looking forward to it - if I can just shake off this knee thing.

Tuesday - 7 at 7:32
    Wednesday - 6 at 7:41
    MP mile for the last mile on both runs.

Did you change your mind about the planned session?

• Advertisement

It fell victim to the snooze button! I'm going to do it tomorrow in Tymon. It's the last tough one!

Wot mp r u planning on doing 4 the marathon? R u going to use the pacers in the marathon?

Id like to try break 3.15 for Dublin if I can :eek:

jacquib wrote: »
    Wot mp r u planning on doing 4 the marathon? R u going to use the pacers in the marathon?

Id like to try break 3.15 for Dublin if I can :eek:

Jacqui theres fierce log hijacking going on here, think its time to cut the chord, start up your own log. I recommend you call it Jacqui's back: Jacqui Boyle Part II.
    Practically rolls off the tongue..........

cwgatling wrote: »
    It fell victim to the snooze button! I'm going to do it tomorrow in Tymon. It's the last tough one!

Seriously tempted Paddy. Im using all my restraint to not join you. My physio told me off yesterday and today the laser therapy guy practically threatened me with physical violence if I ran.
    But dont be surprised if you get a call tomorrow morning.........

@ jacqui - 3:15's well within your reach. I'm hoping to hit sub-3:10, so about the 7:10 pace. But if it's going ok with no problems, I'd love to hit 3:05!

You'd be more than welcome Eoin! I could end up hobbling myself, so I know the story. Keep it in mind - I'll share my Difene ;)

What a day. Did all the MP stuff in Tymon Park, so just a few rolling hills. Should have worn suncream, I'm bloody roasted. 2 miles easy, 15 MP, cool down.

2 at 7:53
    15 at 7:06
    1 at 8:10

The session went well, knee is very stiff but will hopefully improve some more in the next 2 weeks. Not too confident at the moment, another 11 miles on top of that seems like a big ask. Anyway, we'll see. Taper time!

Fair play to you doing all them miles in Tymon. U must have been going around in circles a few times :). You'l be grand on the day, the adrenalin will kick in & keep u going when the going gets tough :D

I went up to the club tonight for the first time in ages & done 400's with the lads in 1.26-28. Im a wreck tonight. Il have to get back into my speed sessions :D

Yes, there were a good few laps involved. That's what I'm hoping too. It will have to be some amount of adrenaline :D
    Love those 400's, looking forward to doing them again.

6.2 at 7:21 this afternoon. Cracking day.

6 miles easy @ 7:40 today. 43.5 for the week. Put the boot down for 800m at the end to catch the 'virtual partner' :D

204.5 in April. Well down on last month thanks to this injury. Looking forward to some tempo stuff to see how it holds up.

10.1 miles at 7:43. This weather: I love it. Tempo tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

good to see the knee is holding up well.session myself tommorow on the track,hopefully the wind is abit more calm tommorow.

Good job on the 400's thirstywork, 40s jogging is short recovery.

Things are looking up with this knee thing. Physio gave it a serious hammering today and apart from the bruising, the pain has pretty much gone. 1 more visit before the race and I should be fine. Didn't do the tempo yesterday because of a blister. Under control now though, I'll do it tomorrow.

8 miles at 7:30.

Good to hear about the knee. Which I could say the same about myself. Calf isnt great again as well as hamstring. I think I'l cut my left leg off & get a new 1 if possible :D.
    I thought sportsworld was the 8th but its not til the 15th. I'l see what the calf is like by then as to whether I'l do the race. If not I might go down & watch the marathon/half marathon & see all you lot slogging ur guts out :)

That's the way I was last week. It's awful! Ha ha, yes if it's suffering you're after, Kildare is the spot.

8.75 yesterday including 2x 2 miles at 6:17. Lovely flat route by the Barrow.
    2.5 today at 7:34.

1 more handy enough tempo, then it's easy miles all next week (bar Sunday!)

10.9 miles with 3 @ 6:22. Just didn't have it today. The entire tempo felt like the last mile of a race. Knee is in top order, which I'm delighted about.

40.3 miles for the week.

4 easy w/ strides. Average pace 7:33. Stretched and took the foam roller to the outside of the calves - ouch.

I almost never stretch after running. This is the equivalent of pulling an all-nighter the night before an exam, without having gone to any lectures.

You want to be careful not doin anythin out of the ordinary this week. You dont want any hiccups at this stage :D

I certainly don't. Went to the physio again today for the knee and one other niggle. Feeling pretty good.

3 miles easy w/ strides. Avg pace 7:23. I dug out the Mizuno Wave Mushas for this - absolutely brilliant shoe. Should have done a few long runs in them to see if they'd be ok for the race. As it is, I'm going with the Kinvaras. Going to hit the track tomorrow for some 1200's.

Nail it to the wall on Sunday Paddy. Remember not to get sucked into any madness at the start. Keep it controlled for the first half, then go racing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tunguska wrote: »
    Nail it to the wall on Sunday Paddy. Remember not to get sucked into any madness at the start. Keep it controlled for the first half, then go racing.

+1 on this dont be afraid to run your own race and have full confidence in your own race plan. Best of luck at the weekend

Advertisement