Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Thanks a mill lads. Yep, it will be a conservative start - saving the madness for the last 10k.

Wed - 7.2 at 7:46 Lads in the club said 1200's were a crazy idea, even though they're in the Daniels plan. To be honest, that whole last week of plan A looks a bit hectic so I've just been doing my own thing.

Fri - 3 at 7:27 (1 at MP). Legs are dead tired, I don't know how. Screw it, the work is done. It'll be alright on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Best of luc tomorrow Paddy. Hope it al goes to plan. Take it handy at the start & leave some in the tank for the end.

Thanks Jacqui, I will indeed. Getting nervous now. Had a gig last night and didn't get in 'til 4am. Feeling 100% though.

2 miles at 7:30.

DNF! 400m to go and 3:08:12 on the clock. I made the last push and woke up with 2 St John's Ambulance guys standing over me. I fainted and had to be dragged off the course. Gutted and embarrassed. It was scary stuff, but thankfully no damage done.

It was a great race, plenty of support, the wind wasn't too bad and lovely scenery. The first half flew by and I was cruising until about 18 miles. After the 20 mark, things started to hurt, but it was all going to plan. There were a lot of hills coming up to the end which were a pain. From 24 on I was checking the watch every .1 of a mile. It was tough going.

7:09
    7:07
    7:12
    7:04
    7:08
    7:01
    7:06
    7:10
    7:14
    7:18
    7:11
    7:13
    7:27
    7:37
    7:32

Anyway, the plan now is to get some speed up over the summer and up the mileage for Dublin. Goal - sub-3 and stay awake until I cross the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

cwgatling wrote: »
    DNF! 400m to go and 3:08:12 on the clock. I made the last push and woke up with 2 St John's Ambulance guys standing over me. I fainted and had to be dragged off the course. Gutted and embarrassed. It was scary stuff, but thankfully no damage done.

It was a great race, plenty of support, the wind wasn't too bad and lovely scenery. The first half flew by and I was cruising until about 18 miles. After the 20 mark, things started to hurt, but it was all going to plan. There were a lot of hills coming up to the end which were a pain. From 24 on I was checking the watch every .1 of a mile. It was tough going.

7:12
    7:01
    7:10
    7:11
    7:13
    7:27
    7:37
    7:32

Anyway, the plan now is to get some speed up over the summer and up the mileage for Dublin. Goal - sub-3 and stay awake until I cross the line.

Gutted for you Paddy. Glad to hear you are okay though health is more important than any race. You will come back from this stronger than ever. Make sure to give yourself a good rest after today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

You're a lunatic Paddy, 400 to go and the lights go out! Unbeliveable stuff. Any idea what happened to make you lose consciousness?

It was shocking stuff alright Eoin. No idea, maybe it was just the exertion? I drank and ate plenty around the course. If I was conscious, I would have crawled over the line. Anyway, onwards and upwards. Legs are still in bits, might try a gentle run tomorrow.

Garmin data for the race: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86219665

It was shocking stuff alright Eoin. No idea, maybe it was just the exertion? I drank and ate plenty around the course.

Be worth getting a blood test done to check your iron levels, just to make sure all is in order.

Good idea Eoin - I had the same thought. Especially with not eating meat the iron levels could be low. I'll know soon enough.

First run since the race - 4 miles at 8:11. Legs of a man twice my age, but it was good to get back out.
    I've been going over Sunday in my head a lot and I can't help thinking that if I'd kept the warm up to 800m instead of a mile, or if I'd stayed at 7:30 or 7:45 for the last 2 miles, everything would've been ok.

I suppose pushing hard at that stage of a marathon is always going to be risky, but if you don't give it 100%, I don't really see the point.

Things that are going to feature much more in this training cycle:
    Miles (55-70pw)
    Strides/Short reps
    Hill Repeats
    Double Days

This week's obviously all about recovery, and I'll keep the mileage at 30-40 for the next fortnight before building up. Here's hoping the injuries stay away :cool:.

Body is starting to come back to life. Runs like today are what it's all about:
    Gale force winds
    Lashing rain
    Not a sinner on the footpaths

5.1 at 7:42

• Advertisement

Hiya Paddy, good to see you out training again.Did I c u running by scholars ystrday @ bout 4.30ish? Although how you enjoy running in the wind I dont know. Rain doesnt bother me but I hate the wind & its been around now for just over 3 wks :(.
    I done just over 15mile with the lads this morning. My longest run since Berlin mara. It went well. It'l soon be time to start Dublin mara training :D

Yeah that was me! 1/2 a mile from the house. Beep the horn next time :D
    Nice work this morning. I do agree about the wind. There is nothing worse when you are doing a race or a bit trying to do a bit of quality work. May has been shocking so far. Yep, 1 more month and it's time to start thinking about Dublin.

9 miles @ 7:38. Felt better as this run went on. Legs are heavy but no niggles. 18.2 miles for the week. Next week 35, then 45.

4.6 at 7:20. Lovely evening, but, jaysus, the wind :eek:.

8 miles at 7:32. Easy enough run around the local loop. The headwind on the last 2 miles took it out of me. I just backed off the pace instead of pushing it. I'm trying to make a routine out of stretching after a run now. Will it last? Doubtful.

I'm trying to make a routine out of stretching after a run now. Will it last? Doubtful.

Im afraid its a necessity Paddy, you wont get away with not doing it at this stage.
    We'll be doing 400s next Thursday(2nd June) if you've recovered sufficiently enough to jump in. Me and Niall's pace may be a bit much for you at the moment but if you slotted in alongside Billy it'd be an ideal pace for you.

I'm on a late this Thursday Eoin, but yeah, 400's would be right up my alley. I'd like to work on some basic speed. I'd be in over my head with you and Niall alright. Maybe next year ;)

3 easy miles at 7:50. Not feeling the love today.

8 miles at 7:27. Pace gradually picked up as the run went on. Last 2 miles at MP. Wind not as bad today, but it still feels like we bypassed summer and went straight to October.

Tell me about it. We've had wind now constantly for 4wks & it feels like we're going into winter & not summer :cool:.
    I done hill repeats with Sharon on Tues & they were a killer as we were into the wind going up the hill.
    Are you going to do any races or just concentrate on getting back into training for now?

Oh yeah, hills and wind are a bad mix! It's miserable running into a headwind, but the only consolation is that it's great training. What's up next for you?

There's a 5k in Raheny on June 19th that I might do. Dublin marathon is the main goal though.

Fri - about 3 miles at <7:00. Forgot the Garmin. Bad day at the office so it was nice to get out during lunchtime. 3x 100m strides which I really hammered. Felt good.
    Won't get to run today.

I done donore 5k in Phoneix park 2day. Last 2k into wind (again) which was tough. I got 19.45. 1st mile 6.03, 2nd 6.15, 3rd into wind & uphill for a bit 6.38 thats where I lost my time :D. I mite do the dunshaughlin 10k @ the end of June. I'l see how my trainin goes up til then.

• Advertisement

Great going Jacqui, sub-20's top notch especially in those conditions.

Sun - 6 miles at 7:37. Slog. 33 miles for the week.
    Mon - 7.8 at 7:30. This was much better. I will hopefully get to do a few intervals tomorrow.

There's a 5k in Raheny on June 19th that I might do.

I did it last year Paddy and to be honest it wasnt the best. Course was short, but worst of all is that its a loop on paths in a park so it felt more like formula 1 than road racing. You'd run 100m, have to slow for a corner, another 100m then another corner and so on. Do yourself a favour and run dunshaughlin 10k(sat 25th June)instead. Class race with very good depth of field.

Jesus, thanks Eoin. Two great reasons to choose something else. Dunshaughlin it is. You doing it?

Bit of speedwork tonight. 6x 800 in 2:55 off 75s. My lungs were burning after the last one. I have to say that I enjoy these. They're so tough, but they're over so quick and if you're in a good group they fly along. Great to be back down at the club again.

W/u - 2 @7:20
    W/d - 4.3 @7:30
    9 miles for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Dunshaughlin it is. You doing it?

Bit of speedwork tonight. 6x 800 in 2:55 off 75s. My lungs were burning after the last one. I have to say that I enjoy these. They're so tough, but they're over so quick and if you're in a good group they fly along. Great to be back down at the club again.

We appear to be on a collision course towards Dunshaughlin, i'll keep an eye out for you there. Epic stuff in Kildare, unlucky, 3:10 may have been in the bag at the time you'll never know i guess. Sub 3 in Dublin the goal is it?

I did almost the exact same session at my club tonight. Tough cookie alright.

Ah deadly - that'll be a close one! Thanks man, it was a bit unlucky but I learned a lot. Sub-3 is the goal alright, but there are a lot of miles to be run between now and then!

Your session was a fair bit tougher. You're flying - keep it up.

Jesus, thanks Eoin. Two great reasons to choose something else. Dunshaughlin it is. You doing it?

I am indeed. Its an evening race aswell, so its kind of a novelty. Big feed after in the hall too so all in all a great race.

Wed - 4 at 8:00 recovery. Felt brutal for the first 3 miles, but better after.
    Thurs - 7.8 at 7:34.
    Fri - 9.2 at 6:58. Savage weather. Spent most of this run hanging on to Tunguska's coat tails as he cruised around Tymon. Found it very tough, but enjoyed it.

With Dunshaughlin only 3 weeks away I thought I'd better get off my ass and get in some 10k pace stuff. Trotting around at 7:30 pace won't get me a PB.

Perfect weather for this: light breeze, drizzle, nice and cool. I hit up to the reservoir, there is a nice flat 1 mile stretch on a good surface.
    2 mile w/u, 6x 1 mile off 3-4 mins, w/d.

5:59
    5:58
    5:59
    5:58
    6:02
    6:04

The first 4 were grand, I had to grind out the last 2.
    The long recoveries were the key to managing this session. Those jogged 3-4 mins mount up in terms of mileage. And when I say jogged, I mean jogged.

11.4 at 7:12 avg for the day. 49.3 for the week.

I was a bit shattered after yesterday's run, but I was looking forward to a nice slow recovery jog. Down to Tymon to give the joints a break. I turned around at 4, but met a guy from the club and did a mile with him before turning for home again. Garmin died after 4.3. Something like 9-10 miles at roughly 8:00.

Broke 1000 miles for the year with this run! 1004.7 miles at avg 7:30. Nice start to the week.

• Advertisement

7.6 easy miles in just under an hour. Got soaked in 2 heavy downpours. Going to do hills or intervals tomorrow.

Advertisement