Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Honestly, not building it up too much in my head

So you're going for out for a jog?:D

I predict a PB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

chinguetti wrote: »
    So you're going for out for a jog?:D

I predict a PB

Oh yeah i'll PB in my sleep, it has to be one of the softest pb's on boards. No i'm going all out for this one, gonna be my last 100% race effort in Ireland until the Waterford Half in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Oh yeah i'll PB in my sleep, it has to be one of the softest pb's on boards. No i'm going all out for this one, gonna be my last 100% race effort in Ireland until the Waterford Half in December.

Not so! my 10k pb is 54:07 and my half is 1:53:20, hoping to shave a few mins off this year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Not so! my 10k pb is 54:07 and my half is 1:53:20, hoping to shave a few mins off this year :D

My 10k PB is better than yours....schmahahahaha!:D

claralara wrote: »

Congratulations!:D See you in Park West;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mine too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Congratulations!:D See you in Park West;)

I'll enjoy my glory for the minute and then I'll see the back of you in Parkwest!!

Mine too. :)

Fine then I'll race both of ye right now, ye can even do it as a relay :P

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fine then I'll race both of ye right now, ye can even do it as a relay :P

Race claralara, I'd just be letting the side down because I'm fat and slow at the mo :pac:

Race claralara, I'd just be letting the side down because I'm fat and slow at the mo :pac:

Now now, we'll have none of that!

• Advertisement

Weds 22nd June, 5.75 mls easy down to Regents and lap of the outside grass in 48'12 (8'24). Felt good throughout. Took me all day to leave the house, i was glued to the tennis, the Laura Robson game was a cracker :o

4 x 100m strides on the track in the heath after, took it handy. 6 mls total.

Awful moment while doing my stretches in the heath after the strides. A couple come running up to me and ask "have you seen a little girl, about 5, with a white cap". Unfortunately i hadnt. The police had arrived and a search had begun 5 mins later when i left the park as darkness was falling. Kind of felt bad for leaving but what use would i be in my running gear. Hope it all turns out ok, the look on the faces of the couple said it all though.

Awful moment while doing my stretches in the heath after the strides. A couple come running up to me and ask "have you seen a little girl, about 5, with a white cap". Unfortunately i hadnt. The police had arrived and a search had begun 5 mins later when i left the park as darkness was falling. Kind of felt bad for leaving but what use would i be in my running gear. Hope it all turns out ok, the look on the faces of the couple said it all though.

Every parent's worst nightmare, I hope they find her at the 'pick and mix' counter, that's where I used to end up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

You not going to venture out to SW19 one of the days? Can get ground passes for 20 quid.

04072511 wrote: »
    You not going to venture out to SW19 one of the days? Can get ground passes for 20 quid.

Not much point heading out after work, it's a bit of a trek (plus rush hour misery) and wouldnt be down there till 6pm. Heading to Dublin this weekend which leaves the womens and mens final days as the only options. Henman hill for the mens final is the plan alright but i've a feeling i will have to get there rediculously early to get in.

Tbh just like every big sporting event in London, it may as well be on in China, cause tickets are so difficult to get, as you now know.

Thurs 23rd June, 4 mls in 31'46 (7'56) at lunchtime in the heath. Gorgeous day and felt pretty good and this was fairly easy. That's me done now until Saturday evening in Dunshaughlin.

Thurs 23rd June, 4 mls in 31'46 (7'56) at lunchtime in the heath. Gorgeous day and felt pretty good and this was fairly easy. That's me done now until Saturday evening in Dunshaughlin.

What time are you chasing in Dunshaughlin?

What time are you chasing in Dunshaughlin?

37'59 (3'48 per km) is the plan. Haven't raced a 10k in about 7-8 years so i won't be too disappointed if i don't make it.

37'59 (3'48 per km) is the plan. Haven't raced a 10k in about 7-8 years so i won't be too disappointed if i don't make it.

Nice! You'll get the hot water in the shower then!

Flew over Friday evening to Dublin after a Kings of Leon concert Thursday night and getting up at 5:50am to buy olympic tickets friday, not ideal prep. Got a lift down off Chinguetti and we were there in plenty time. Did about half a mile w/u to get up to the start and i was sweating already in the humidity. A few strides followed and i lined up close to the start.

Headed out at what i thought was a conservative pace but the garmin said otherwise, first km in 3'31 but felt way too easy. I was passing other runner hand over fist. Some runners should be forced to read a pacing manual when they sign up for these races cause they clearly don't have a clue. First mile in around 5'40, saucy i said, won't be able to maintain this. As we headed out of town i settled into about 3'40km pace, faster than my 3'48 per km target but felt sustainable. Mile 2 reached in 11'40, only 23 seconds slower than my 2 mile pb from 3 weeks ago. 3 mls in 17'42 and 5k then in 18'28.

The bad stretch of road didnt help and i began to flatten out for a few hundered yards. Kicked on again though as we headed back towards town. 4 mls in 23'48, at this stage i said run the next mile in 6'11 and i will be under 30 for 5mls, which has been a goal of mine for 6 years now and is almost as important as sub 3 in Berlin. It wasnt to be as the uphill took its toll and i hit 5 mls in 30'09, an unofficial pb by 9 seconds. Next mile i was hanging and i just maintained the 3'50 per km pace telling myself it would be all over soon. The 400m to go sign was a blessing and i pictured myself on a track running a lap. Rounding the last bend a guy on my tail has a go, it wasnt happening as i turned it on the last 100m to cross the line in 37'30 (37'33 gun time for 70th place) delighted with myself. Mainly because this was the moment where i finally "got back to my best" and a little ahead of it. i may have to change the log title now :)

No w/d after, just 6 pints with the boardsies in Dunshaughlin and Ryans. Very good race, best i've done in Ireland bar the DCM. Just gotta work on my stamina now for Berlin. I clearly have sub 3 ability over the short races.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/94954432

Sun 26th June, Met up with Meno and Chingford (and Drico :p) for 10 mls easy/recovery out in Clontarf. I led them around Annes Park and down the blustery Bull island pier. 10 mls in 1'29'19 (8'56). Brian O Driscoll was being filmed for a new ad in Annes Pk, we did our best to ruin the camera shot.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/94954401

Weekly Review, 36 mls. 3ml, 4ml, 5ml and 10k pb :D Running in front of millions of tv viewers on Monday was nice too.

Yearly Mileage, 891 mls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Nice running. Well done. Welcome back to your best!

BTW, that was me who said 'Alright Brian' this morning, just after 12 as you were making your way to meet the lads.

• Advertisement

Macanri wrote: »
    Nice running. Well done. Welcome back to your best!

BTW, that was me who said 'Alright Brian' this morning, just after 12 as you were making your way to meet the lads.

Cheers. I suspected that it was you alright.

Well done Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Very good race, best i've done in Ireland bar the DCM.

37:30 for 10k is far superior to 3:22 for the Dublin marathon. I'd put that as easily your best in Ireland (excluding your track times of course).

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on your brilliant time in Dunshaughlin. I never even saw you at the finish line - I blame the fatigue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looks like the training is paying off, nice time in the 10k.

Mon 27th June, 6 laboured easy ish miles in 52'00 (8'40). 33 degrees in London today :eek: and it was still 30 at the start of the run at 8pm. Ran down to Regents and back. Sweating like a pig the whole way and it felt way tougher than it should have. Reminded me of my runs in barca last summer when my HR was in the red at 8 min miling. It's due to cool down tomorrow, thank fck.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Brilliant running in Dunshaughlin, Brian. Didn't even get a look at you. Keep it going, you'll have a great marathon in the Autumn.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Brilliant running in Dunshaughlin, Brian. Didn't even get a look at you. Keep it going, you'll have a great marathon in the Autumn.

Cheers. I was looking out for you the first mile or 2 and at the finish. I thought you had a DNS tbh, no Tallaght singlets to be seen. You'd have been sub 38 too if it wasnt for your session Wednesday, sub 3 is still well on for both of us.

Tues 28th June, Headed over to Finsbury park for the club session. 16 x 400m starting every 2:05. I decided on taking ths handy enough and ran them all bar the last one and the middle one in 87-88 secs, which gave me about 37 secs recovery for each rep. Went for it a bit on the last one to clock a 70. 1 ml w/d no w/u bar a cycle. 5 mls total.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95526513

Felt wrecked after, running in the heat hit me for six yesterday. Might take a rest day tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Thurs 30th June, 6 mls in 50'57 (8'30) on the heath at lunchtime. Hilly enough run, felt good after the rest day. Might try a tempo tomorrow.

Going to Arcade Fire/Mumford and Sons in Hyde Park this evening :D

Advertisement