Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

is anyone willing to share any ideas for new concept ideas or mods.Im completly lost.....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

The sat nav I'm doing is black,anyone have any suggestions on how to colour it ? As the black will make the drawing near impossible to see :/

Think they will add time on because of the snow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

I was right in the middle of my part b when this snow caper started... sounds like we're going to miss a minimum of a two weeks worth of DCG classes... anything i can do about it?? :mad:

there aint a hope wed get extra time.wed all love but cant see it hapen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mikey11

how are things people?? any idea for the modification for me people:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

what do ye all think? I've got almost everything done just need to do the solidworks for the concept and then its done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gowayuwilya

Ian_K wrote: »
    I was right in the middle of my part b when this snow caper started... sounds like we're going to miss a minimum of a two weeks worth of DCG classes... anything i can do about it?? :mad:
    Keep practicing your concept/mod at homeyou can fly it then when the snow goes and this snow caper gives you extra time to work on your design/research etc....lots to be doing,no chance of extra time and none wanted too much to be done on the drawing side of the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

does anyone know if its better to have your assembly in solidworks moving like it should in real life and the mates under defined, or just to lock it in place so that the piece cant move but the mates are all fully defined?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

fully defined is the way i'd go to say but you can still fully define it and have it moving correctly if you know how to use advanced mating

does anyone have a few pdfs of the research and new concert pages.i have a new concept but just need a lil help on how to put in on paper..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

How do I go about doing Output 7? I'm choosing modifications, and have 4 in mind at the moment. Would it be wise to have 1 page per modification? That way I could include a few sketches and pictures on each. Or should I do 2 per page to clear up some space for other outputs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

RHunce wrote: »
    fully defined is the way i'd go to say but you can still fully define it and have it moving correctly if you know how to use advanced mating

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bugsbunny94

Here is mine from last year. Hope this helps

What grade did you get? Was the modification sheets hard to do??

Hey im abit lost and confussed with output 7?? Iv got ideas,but i just dont know how many pages to use?.. what to put on each page?? Ahhhhhhhhh help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 randomblogger

I want to create a USB drive which unfolds, as it unfolds the connection is ejected. Does anybody know how i can do the mechanics for this in a Solidworks Assembly?? Seriously need to know how to do it!!

Flex123 wrote: »
    Page 1
    The first thing to do is choose a subject that interests you. Example could be sport (preferable choose something more original).
    Other examples of what i remember people choosing last year from my class include
    - buildings
    - cars
    - a certain architects work
    - a city
    - a religion
    - the moon (a VERY good choice, im serious)
    - Tour de France (The race)
    - Boats
    - nature
    - Anime
    Choose something that interests you. It can be anything at all. A certain type of sport, it can be money, drugs, a colour, a team, a type of plant, a solar system, a tv programme.

Just choose something at random which personally interests you.

Okay now what you do is make a mood board.
    Im attaching a mood board my little brother done for his J.C. woodwork brief last year. (Okay so i did put it together for him but it took me less than half an hour. Its a bit shabby but its J.C level. Your Mood Board should be Much better)

For your mood board go onto google images and search whatever your theme is. Copy and paste your pictures onto microsoft word.

(to move your pics around on Word, click on each individual picture, -> Format->Text Wrap->In Front of Text
    Now you can move the pics around and position them. Also putting a black border around each pic makes it nicer.)

Now your mood board should take up the whole page. You need at least 50 pictures, or the same that i put for my little bro.

That is one page out of output 7 down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Page 2
    On the next page the next page have the following headings
    Theme
    Target Market
    Location/Environment

IT is important that every heading is there.
    Write a line or two, very brief, under each one.
    Eg - Theme - Nature
    Target Market - Young adult drivers, mainly female. (or whoever your aiming your product at.)
    Message - (The Message you want to give people through your product, make a catchy phrase here)
    Key words - organic, fresh, clean, green, (words associated with the New concept, remember its maybe 7/8 words only here. Do not explain why you chose the words)
    Location/Environment - (Where your new concept will be used)

Stick this list on the part of your second page.
    Now from your theme go a bit deeper. if you choose cars for example now chose a type of car, or if you choose nature chose a type of leaf.
    Now most of your second page should be still empty (80% or so if not more)
    Put in more pics of whatever your looking indepth at. Not just from google etc but make sure you do as much free hand sketching on this page as possible.
    The pics on this page should be much less, maybe 10/15. and should be bigger. Make sure to fill in all the space with sketches, sketches, sketches!!
    Sketch how a leaf (again for example) could become the shape of the sat nav. Whatever you do start looking how you can incorporate it into your New Concept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Page 3
    On the last page sketch out your final ideas, of how the Sat Nav can look. It doesn't have to be one design. Sketch out a couple of different ideas, include written annotations of the pros and cons of each idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple of extra overall pointers
    - On the first page make sure that your mood board has an overall rectangle finish. Its a Board. Boards are rectangular. The pictures should be small. Fill it up properly.
    - Make sure to PACK YOUR PAGES!!! not in a way where everything is clustered, but with order. Sketch as much as possible.

I keep seeing projects where people are writing their outputs in massive writing. Your not in Th class. I'm serious. You know it looks rubbish. Just put in some effort and do it properly.
    Same goes for sketching. Don't do one big sketch and leave the rest of the page blank. You know that isn't enough for leaving cert standard. PACK YOUR PAGES PROPERLY.

One last summary {example}
    Page 1 = cars
    page 2 = certain car make and model
    page 3 = rims of the car, wheels
    and then your design a Sat Nav in the shape of the wheels or rims.

Remember that the stuff you did in Output 1 and 2 should be constantly on your minds during this output.
    You dont have to make a world leading Sat Nav, just an ordinary yet original one.

Hey,i dont understand why i pick a theme of something i like? Getting pictures of somthing i like,eg.sport!? i dont see how that is sopose to help?? Im really confussed about output 7 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Hey,i dont understand why i pick a theme of something i like? Getting pictures of somthing i like,eg.sport!? i dont see how that is sopose to help?? Im really confussed about output 7 :(

It's mainly to do with the aesthetics of your design. They like to see your train of thought graphically communicated, and want to see how you came to choose your design rather than just saying "I like how this looks." You don't necessarily have to do one, although most people seem to do it I think it's a bit of a weird idea and not necessary at all to reach a good design. I was looking at one of the guys in my school who got an A1's project and his whole output seven was about ergonomics and functionatily, no theme or mood board because the aesthetics of his design came from it's ergonomic design. The other two guys who got A1s didn't use it either.

It might be a good idea if you don't know what you're doing, don't rule out using one but if you think you have a good explanation of how you reached your final design without one then don't think that you need to have it.

It's mainly to do with the aesthetics of your design. They like to see your train of thought graphically communicated, and want to see how you came to choose your design rather than just saying "I like how this looks." You don't necessarily have to do one, although most people seem to do it I think it's a bit of a weird idea and not necessary at all to reach a good design. I was looking at one of the guys in my school who got an A1's project and his whole output seven was about ergonomics and functionatily, no theme or mood board because the aesthetics of his design came from it's ergonomic design. The other two guys who got A1s didn't use it either.

It might be a good idea if you don't know what you're doing, don't rule out using one but if you think you have a good explanation of how you reached your final design without one then don't think that you need to have it.

Hi,yea im currently doing the mood board,did a little more research into them and understand why i pick a theme! But what iv done is like we say with one of my modification iv worked my way backwords as to how i thought of that idea and used different pictures to show and the pictures are also of things i like!!..its looking pretty good!!
    But now on my next 2pages,do i sketch out my 5ideas (2per each page)+1 and explain where i came up wth the idea?how? ..etc!! And then output 7 is complete??? yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hula_hoop

Right so basically ive been reading the forum for a while n thanks to everyone for the info on stuff too, it is really helpful....but im screwed ok, less than 2weeks left in school and no solidworks work done, been doing tutorials and stuff at home and during our scholl time that we are given, being honest our teacher knows as much as we do and that isn't much atall!! any hint or tips you guys have? anything atall any sites which are useful or anything, roads are bad and school is on and off so kinda need to be able to go in and do it straight without any hassle...any help and i wil love you all for life...thanks guys :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hula_hoop

Ian_K wrote: »
    Crunch time in the project... solidworks MUST be done in school... snowed in for the week and school is closed... special dispensation available??

what the hell are we supposed to do?? the deadline is the 14th of january!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

Finished my Concept Design but just realised I never included a power button or charger output... will I get docked marks for this?.. should I go back and fit them in somewhere?
    Advice needed asap please!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭WeightierDisc

cookier wrote: »
    Finished my Concept Design but just realised I never included a power button or charger output... will I get docked marks for this?.. should I go back and fit them in somewhere?
    Advice needed asap please!

It wouldn't kill you to add a hole and a button. The corrector would probably notice it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

It wouldn't kill you to add a hole and a button. The corrector would probably notice it

I agree, I suggest you dont be so lazy about it, simple extrude after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

Ok thanks! Not sure where I'll fit it in as my design is mainly hallow thats my main problem but hopefully ill find somewhere. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Lads, are ye well

now.urgent stuff here.

we've 2 weeks left and im only startin part b now really.
    so im gonna have to do output 7 and 8 at home.

i want to no is der any way they can trace it when correctin it (i.e from the pdf files). cos when i convert it to pdf wont it say in the properties that it wasnt created on the school computers.

i wud appreciate any ways around this problem

please help me out here.
    thanks a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No worries about compiling it at home, I'm pretty sure that information isn't saved like Solidworks files are.

Finished the two models now, everything correctly mated and labelled I must say I do feel pretty proud of my concept design. Our teacher set our deadline to Friday so all I have to do is brush up on the brief and it's sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 garefield247

Hey, I have certain pages of the project with sketches and text on the page, like output 2 . But I'm using photoshop to make all the pages. Is it ok to scan in sketches so I can use photoshop? So say I want a sketch of the back of the sat nav on my page, I draw it on an A4 page and scan it in, then apply my borders and text etc.? So I have a finished jpg file to print in A3
    It just that my teacher tells me they want to "be able to feel the pencil"?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Just wondering if anyone knows if the quality of the paper matters?
    The printer in our school can't handle the 120GSM heavy paper, it messes up the pictures. So I had to print out my stuff on sh1te paper instead.

If I put some black card behind it to make it stronger would it matter? Could I use card that's a tiny bit bigger than A3 so you can see it on the outside, kinda like a border?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Hey, I have certain pages of the project with sketches and text on the page, like output 2 . But I'm using photoshop to make all the pages. Is it ok to scan in sketches so I can use photoshop? So say I want a sketch of the back of the sat nav on my page, I draw it on an A4 page and scan it in, then apply my borders and text etc.? So I have a finished jpg file to print in A3
    It just that my teacher tells me they want to "be able to feel the pencil"?
    It only asks for original sketches in Outputs 3 and 8, I think, so scanned images should suffice for the other outputs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 garefield247

clonadlad wrote: »
    It only asks for original sketches in Outputs 3 and 8, I think, so scanned images should suffice for the other outputs.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Advertisement