Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

How's everyone going with their study?
    Did you revise anything yet or just concentrating on your projects?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

Flex123 wrote: »
    ...PS u need 5 parts for the concept

I know your the expert and everything but in the brief it leads me to believe that they want a Part OR an Assembly (see brief below)

134213.png

Oh and thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nikki_Jane

Ok, I'm on part B, modifications or new design sat nav, Ive chosen to do the new design but i dunno what to do?? Has anybody got any idea what design i could use?? Would appreciate any suggestions!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Come up with it yourself like everyone else has to. What are you inspired by? Base your project around that but certainly dont go fishing for ideas off the net.

Done and dusted, printed, sketched and binded :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

RHunce wrote: »
    Done and dusted, printed, sketched and binded :D
    wow!! fair play! wish i could say the same:( im slacking so much because we have a fill in teacher!

for the concept......do you have to change the design of the sat nav itself or can the existing sat nav be like a feature IN someting, if you all get me:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

I know its basically physical features that need to be shown but possibly make it a Sat Nav/Bluetooth device connector ie. for your phone handsfree.

A built in Camera?

Big screens?

voice recognition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

for the concept design can you just design a new sat nav and leave your existing mount as it is? also is it a change to sat navs in general that you make or is it just your specific sat nav that you will change and design in th concept design?

sligo. wrote: »
    wow!! fair play! wish i could say the same:( im slacking so much because we have a fill in teacher!

for the concept......do you have to change the design of the sat nav itself or can the existing sat nav be like a feature IN someting, if you all get me:P

i think if you use your exisiting model it classifies as a modification. I'm open for correction though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Have a question.

Anyone know if you have to mod the actual sat nav or could you just make an accessory kind of thing to work with your sat nav ?

Can't think of much to mod on my sat nav (apart from 1 thing and all that would be in solidworks is a simple extrude which couldn't be good enough for part B surely)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Could anyone help me by posting a few tips on how to model my Sat Nav on SolidWorks (Output 4)? I'm having a really hard time trying to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

clo51 wrote: »
    for the concept design can you just design a new sat nav and leave your existing mount as it is? also is it a change to sat navs in general that you make or is it just your specific sat nav that you will change and design in th concept design?

If you use any parts of the existing sat nav that you modeled, it is classed as a modification, you have to make everything new
    Lmao_Man wrote: »
    Have a question.

Anyone know if you have to mod the actual sat nav or could you just make an accessory kind of thing to work with your sat nav ?

Can't think of much to mod on my sat nav (apart from 1 thing and all that would be in solidworks is a simple extrude which couldn't be good enough for part B surely)

Thanks

you would have to change the existing sat nav, you can't really say here is a stand for my sat nav, the project is about the actual sat nav so it is that that has to be changed.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

MaggieNF wrote: »
    the project is about the actual sat nav so it is that that has to be changed.
    I'd have to disagree with that. Both the sat nav and the mount are both stated in the brief so I'd say they should both be modified or both taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

clonadlad wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with that. Both the sat nav and the mount are both stated in the brief so I'd say they should both be modified or both taken into account.

my bad, haven't seen the brief, just trying to offer advice from a perspective of having completed the project..

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

Any one know what material to use for the screen of the sat nav????

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bugsbunny94

nariek1 wrote: »
    Sat Nav so far

Hi,im doing the tomtom sat nav aswell,its not the same type,but the mount is somthing the same! One part that is the exact same is the arm part on the mount ,im having trouble with it and cant seem to do it at all . :( It doesnt look right? :mad: Could you please explain how you do it.:o Please

Get back asap PLEASE :(

Hi i have the same problem to you ,i dont know how to do the arm piece on the mount :( did you figure it out??

RHunce wrote: »
    <images snipped>
    My concept design hahaha..

I doubt i'm going to keep it though to be honest.

What do ye all think :cool: :pac:

How long did you spend at this?? :eek: Pretty cool :D but being realistic,who is going to want it in there car?.. Seems awful big,but tiz still class :o :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hi i have the same problem to you ,i dont know how to do the arm piece on the mount :( did you figure it out??
    If you're talking about a ball and socket joint, look at the Advanced Mating option and look at the degrees option. Play about with it a bit until you find a rotation limit that you're happy with. If you're talking about a hinge joint, just mate it so that it stays on the same axis as what it's attached to, and use advanced mates to stop it from going upside down overlapping the rest of the piece. Hope this helps.

I'm way behind on this, gonna give myself a good kick up the arse next week and have the brief completed. What program are you all using to create it, Powerpoint?

How long did you spend at this?? :eek: Pretty cool :D but being realistic,who is going to want it in there car?.. Seems awful big,but tiz still class :o :pac:

80 mins :o haha

I remade it, its really cool now and not terribly big, it has a fish in its mouth which the screen is on!

I'll post it when the deadline is up :D

• Advertisement

No im talking about the piece from the ball socket to the suction part.. The arm piece in the middle?.. That connects both pieces..When i do it,it doesnt look anything like it? Really hard . Have You that done?

Hi,i have the same prob,i cant do the middle part :/ it doesnt look right? Did you figure out how to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nariek1

Hi,im doing the tomtom sat nav aswell,its not the same type,but the mount is somthing the same! One part that is the exact same is the arm part on the mount ,im having trouble with it and cant seem to do it at all . :( It doesnt look right? :mad: Could you please explain how you do it.:o Please

Get back asap PLEASE :(

Send me on ur email address and i'll forward u on the completed solidworks parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Berilium2

What are we actually meant to do for the modifications? I don't really get it. Has anyone else done any modifications yet that I could have a look at? It would really help!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brianmcs1

I'm on output 4 and I'm finding it almost impossible to mate the mount with the sat nav, can anyone help me? its a garmin device if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

my advice for tech graph project is this....absolutely stick with what they ask for in the brief.....if they say that your rendered sketch should have mini sketches surrounding it then do that....if they say that primary research is important then have only primary research.....and so on!!your idea dosnt need to be that extravagant or complicated but so long as you have a relatively modern and contemporary idea to off with.....it is in effect as simple as keeping all your sketches and then deciding on a final model....when you have decided on the model do that and get those sheets finished.....when you have those sheets done you can then go back and use maybe 2-3 sheets(i would say 3) showing on sheet 1 your initial stimulus eg random pictures based on technology,modern design and practicality and a few sketches thrown in,2 your different sketches of models based on this and a third sheet based on the development of your chosen prototype,showin a step by step progression. also i must stress that the quality of your sketches should be consistent or they will suspect cogging!!For the exam itself do the questions in the papers over and over and also do the questions in the books over and over and pay attention to little things in the book that may seem insignificant for honours but that can and have come up in the 1st 2 dcg exams remember there is only one set of books they cant really bring up stuff that the books dont give some mention to...do the main areas until you can cope with most questions easily and dont worry if you cant understand some of the surface geometry at 1st....just keep going over the questions and eventually it will dawn on you that the process is simple...sometimes as much as a teacher explains to you, you need to find stuff out for yourself to truly get it....its that sort of a subject!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

For the marking of the solidworks part does anyone know if the correcter uses physical dynamics or collision detection when moving the different parts in the assembly or does he just move em with standard drag.
    i have the parts for my suction lever perfectly mated so that when i put the lever down it stops when the suction is fully compressed but if u dont use collision detection the lever will just keep going down.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

hi, does anyone know in assemblies in solid works, how do you mate a piece so that it can turn but only a certain amount, as in it doesnt turn all the way around? is there any way of doing this? im doing the circular tomtom mount and the top piece turns a certain amount but it doesnt turn the whole way around?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rachk

Ok,. how do the inspecters know you have traced the sat nav, and how do you suggest i colour it in???:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Crunch time in the project... solidworks MUST be done in school... snowed in for the week and school is closed... special dispensation available??

Advertisement