Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

NotExactly wrote: »
    Did you to that photorealistic in Photo view 360 or in solidworks? My decal won't work in Photoview 360.

Ya neither will mine, didnt think you could have them on photoview but that picture certainly looks like it is on it

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kev Cah

How did you get a map on your Sat Nav??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sharleen

Its a decal. On some of the computers in school, others were having problems with it but mine worked fine! I put the decal in using Solid Works as far as i remember and then did the photo realistic in PhotoView360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

right im applying finish touch's
    usb port
    on/off button
    head phone slot
    charger slot
    sd card
    D pad buttons
    volume dial
    speakers
    anything else?

also for the history or development of sat nav how far are yous going back, 1957, 1989 or further?

im begining to hate DCG no teacher for 6 months in 5th year, and now we have to catch up on board drawing and only started solidworks in december.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I love everything about DCG except this god forsaken project.

• Advertisement

Mousey- wrote: »
    right im applying finish touch's
    usb port
    on/off button
    head phone slot
    charger slot
    sd card
    D pad buttons
    volume dial
    speakers
    anything else?

also for the history or development of sat nav how far are yous going back, 1957, 1989 or further?

im begining to hate DCG no teacher for 6 months in 5th year, and now we have to catch up on board drawing and only started solidworks in december.

I feel your pain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

You know on the brief the way it suggests how many pages should be in each part ? If you add up all the max pages it's quite alot.

I have 9 pages for all of part A (including photorealistic etc).

Have around 4 pages for part B WITHOUT any drawings...

So that's 13 pages and I remember hearing 14 pages max....but I have at least 3 more drawing pages to do...would that be alright :/ ?

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    You know on the brief the way it suggests how many pages should be in each part ? If you add up all the max pages it's quite alot.

I have 9 pages for all of part A (including photorealistic etc).

Have around 4 pages for part B WITHOUT any drawings...

So that's 13 pages and I remember hearing 14 pages max....but I have at least 3 more drawing pages to do...would that be alright :/ ?

As far as i know they penalise for extra pages

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Sharleen wrote: »
    As far as i know they penalise for extra pages

At the bottom of the Marking Scheme, there's a section: "Marks deducted for pages in excess of maximum". So definitely don't go over 14 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Are marks gained from using decals?

Or should I say, are marks lost for not using decals?

Also, every time I see one of these models, I freak out a bit more. I really thought mine were up to scratch and I don't know if I'm second guessing myself now :(
    I don't have case cut in half and hollowed, do I need to do that? Any way I can do that now without having to remake everything? I want an A in this exam so I want everything to be good.

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Are marks gained from using decals?

Or should I say, are marks lost for not using decals?

Also, every time I see one of these models, I freak out a bit more. I really thought mine were up to scratch and I don't know if I'm second guessing myself now :(
    I don't have case cut in half and hollowed, do I need to do that? Any way I can do that now without having to remake everything? I want an A in this exam so I want everything to be good.

I doubt they will deduct marks for no decal, it just makes the Sat Nav more effective looking. Can you not get the decal to go on ?

Throw up a photorealistic of your Sat Nav and let us have a look. Mine isn't great, i like the actual sat nav body and the suction cup but hate the mount, however i just had to do with that because i didn't have time or skill to make it any better.

We would all love to get an A but you just got to do your best and see what it brings you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheoD

satnav-994.jpg

What do you think? Writing some nonsense about getting inspiration from the compass, part of the history of navigation... don't like it much myself...

TheoD wrote: »
    satnav-994.jpg

What do you think? Writing some nonsense about getting inspiration from the compass, part of the history of navigation... don't like it much myself...

i agree i just said some rubbish about bill clinton legalising it to the general public.

things like that dont actuall test our ability to use solidworks. whats the point of it???

• Registered Users Posts: 7 squiglicious

Great idea... The design aspect is HUGELY important,To do well you MUST show where your inspiration stems from and how it grows through out your design.. Make sure and document where your idea has came from. If you study the marking scheme for the whole assignment at HL there are in fact 75 marks going for solidworks and 85 marks going for the the design and freehand sketches

In part B it is broken down : 35 marks for design and freehand sketches and 25 marks for solidworks

There are only 5 marks out of a total of 160 going for the degree of difficulty involved in your solidworks models so keep them simple..

Key Tips.
    Keep the Solidworks modelling simple
    Present your sketches well, showing your analysis, idea generation and train of thought

http://www.youtube.com/user/NiallQuigley?feature=mhum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fairenuf

everyone pretty much finished up?? :D

could new concept be pretty basic as long as its clear where you say you got inspiration?

An example would be if you based you design around a spiral.. you could get your inspiration from a snails shell..... you could base your design around the marine environment and possibly get inspiration from sea shells .... get inspiration from old navigation systems e.g sextant or a ship the steering wheel
    images%3Fq%3Dspiral%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1066%26bih%3D519%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=415&vpy=219&dur=1991&hovh=195&hovw=258&tx=130&ty=89&oei=3qg8TYjWF5O1hAfb8Mn7BA&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Am I the only one who feels that the baxtards in the SEC will probably market the best ideas and make a fortune :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

RHunce wrote: »
    Am I the only one who feels that the baxtards in the SEC will probably market the best ideas and make a fortune :rolleyes::D

Nope. That was my first thought when I read the brief.

RHunce wrote: »

Boards should get a like button :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Kev Cah wrote: »
    Boards should get a like button :D:D

If only boards had some way of showing your appreciation of somebody elses post, as if you could thank them for it...

(There's something where you can't thank below a certain post number isn't there...?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

finished....TANX F**k.:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Byrners08

hey im doing the dcg this year and my teacher gave us the student package but never told us we were not allowed use it at home.. how do they know if u did it at home or not and how many marks do u loose or does it get totally discarded??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Could anybody please give me a few pointers for the third page of Output 7? I'm doing a modification.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Byrners08 wrote: »
    hey im doing the dcg this year and my teacher gave us the student package but never told us we were not allowed use it at home.. how do they know if u did it at home or not and how many marks do u loose or does it get totally discarded??

The only thing I could tell you is that You Are Screwed if they'll check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 XxXSarahXxX

ne one else having problems copying the project to the CD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Could anybody please give me a few pointers for the third page of Output 7? I'm doing a modification.
    I'm sorry. I should have been more specific here. What do you write under the headings of Functionality, Aesthetics and Environmental Sustainability?

I'm sorry. I should have been more specific here. What do you write under the headings of Functionality, Aesthetics and Environmental Sustainability?

Aesthetics
    • Will depend on your design, Are you happy with the scale and proportions of the unit, maybe bring in about the divine proportion if you have this incorporated See Link http://www.summum.us/philosophy/phi.shtml
    • You could talk about symmetry if that is in your design,
    • You could question whether your design is visually heavy or elegant,
    • You could talk about aesthetically appealing curves etc

Functionality
    • Could talk about ergonomics
    • Possible mechanical functionality etc

Design sustainability
    • Recycling: Could talk about the type of materials used e.g thermoplastic instead of thermosetting so it can be recycled.
    • Reducing carbon footprint etc
    • Robust unit so it is durable

These are just a few suggestions but they will depend on your design, Hope that is some help, Best of luck with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iprwVj-dLHU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Squig for the love of god keep those videos coming they are excellent!

Thank you for your kind words

I put up a new DCG question there now. It is from folens sample paper 3 section B question 1 involving a tetrahedron and an oblique plane. I found many of the students were having trouble visualizing what is going on in 3D. I would recommend trying the question before looking at the solution.. It is a nice question as it involves many of the topics involved in the core geometry section.. Looks at developments, oblique planes, auxiliary projection and lamina in space. Wouldn't be surprised if a similar question appeared in june on the dcg exam paper.
    see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKeyE-Kaw6s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

All i have done are sketches and the solidworks, what else exactly should we be incuding??

Advertisement