Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

My concept was a golf ball design and the mount was a tee on a rubber piece of grass. I don't know how to upload pics on this but if someone tells me I'll put up what I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

clonadlad wrote: »
    My concept was a golf ball design and the mount was a tee on a rubber piece of grass. I don't know how to upload pics on this but if someone tells me I'll put up what I can.

Press the little paperclip symbol at the top when youre posting and attach the image

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Heres my satnav
    <images snipped>

and my new concept glasses with a little screen in the corner bases on these
    https://www.zealoptics.com/transcend/

<images snipped>

anyone want to see more i'll stick em up :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

is there any way i can ask people for their pdf scans in june please? i hope to go teach this subject with woodwork next year in UL so i'd love to have some great projects to show kids when i eventually graduate and hopefully get a job! thanks! great work on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

I chose to modify my original design..
    I taught the stand was grand the way it is,its functional so why change a winning formula?!
    I intergrated additional speakers and a HD Video Camera and camera..
    So glad to have it finished.Does anybody know if you get your project back like in construction you get your folder back?

• Advertisement

Is it true that they were looking for five seperate (and justifiable) modifications for HL?!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Ian_K wrote: »
    Is it true that they were looking for five seperate (and justifiable) modifications for HL?!

No you don't need five mods.Maybe your mixing it up with part A where you need five parts.How many mods did you do for part B? AFAIK you only get marked on one main mod and any other mods aren't given any extra marks,you only just waste time on them and space on your sheets because of the sheet limit.

NotExactly wrote: »
    No you don't need five mods.Maybe your mixing it up with part A where you need five parts.How many mods did you do for part B? AFAIK you only get marked on one main mod and any other mods aren't given any extra marks,you only just waste time on them and space on your sheets because of the sheet limit.

I did a new concept so I was told no modifications were needed (mine has three you could call mods though, mainly the new mount)

Our teacher was saying five modifications for higher and three for pass, if you werent doing a new concept, is he right or wrong about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gaeilge?

AoifeG93 wrote: »
    What did everyone do?..Modification or concept??

And what did you do for these??:):)

New concept, one of just two in my class who did it. There were about fifteen others who did modifications.

Everyone in my class just about did four for honours. That's what the teacher said and they all thought it was a bit much but I think if they didn't do that many it'd look really lazy.

Gaeilge? wrote: »
    New concept, one of just two in my class who did it. There were about fifteen others who did modifications.

That's strange, i found the new concept way easier, anyone in my class who did modifications did it because of lack of imagination! Obviously the new concept should include some kind of modifications and not just a new look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gaeilge?

That's strange

'Tis indeed, seeing as the teacher advised everyone to do a new concept because they were more likely to get a better mark if they did. :rolleyes:

Obviously the new concept should include some kind of modifications and not just a new look

I don't understand how you modify a concept.A concept is a totally new design, you can't include a modification in a concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

My sat nav and my new concept design:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

How is this mounted?
    You cant really see it.. But on the back of the Sat Nav itself there's slots, so the stand slots into the Sat Nav & Gravity holds it in place..

I don't understand how you modify a concept.A concept is a totally new design, you can't include a modification in a concept.

Let me rephrase that, i would imagine that it would mark better if your new concept included some new or modified features and not just a gimmicky new look, i.e. you designed something that functions better than anything currently on the market and not just something that looks a bit better, all this is just my opinion by the way, i'm not really sure what theyre actually looking for

great concept Sarah thats great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Dammit, some people had great ideas, that snooker one is a very good idea.

This is my one.

<image removed>

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

For one page on my project I decided to show a few concepts I thought of and a snooker table was one of them.

I didn't do a photorealistic of my concept but here's one of the pages it showing it.

Bit of a safety hazard i'd say!
    I thought the way the brief was written was really geared towards designing a new mounting system, was struggling for ages to come up with something a bit different, would love to hear some of the rest of ye're concepts

I don't think it was overly geared towards the mount, I'd say it was about 50/50. And within the both the concept and mod brief it says nothing about the mount, you didn't even have to include one you could just say "there's magnets that repel on the dashboard and the satnav and it floats", that's just it in basic form like but suction cups etc would still do 1iiyvr.jpg

EDIT: also there was a lot of emphasis on the SatNav being portable I thought.

RHunce wrote: »
    I don't think it was overly geared towards the mount, I'd say it was about 50/50. And within the both the concept and mod brief it says nothing about the mount, you didn't even have to include one you could just say "there's magnets that repel on the dashboard and the satnav and it floats", that's just it in basic form like but suction cups etc would still do

Ya maybe, i'm not disagreeing with you, i interpreted it slightly differently though
    I designed a new sat-nav, portable as you say, but with a mounting system that goes in the CD slot of a car stereo, i'm confident that it will mark well as a concept but i'm not sure about my portfolio

• Advertisement

Do you think you would lose marks if it wasn't portable.(mine was fixed and it had a removable portable part btw)

Do you think you would lose marks if it wasn't portable.(mine was fixed and it had a removable portable part btw)

Well the world portable was mentioned four times in the brief so I'd guess it would need to be fairly portable, as long as it's not one of these babies you should be grand:

http://www.businesscar.co.uk/Pictures/Title/s/m/i/Renault_tomtom_satnav.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

great concept Sarah thats great!

Cheers! Wasn't much logic behind it a first but then I thought of a few great ways that I could justify it. :D (One of them being that it's eco-friendly because it's 50% wooden.)
    clonadlad wrote: »
    For one page on my project I decided to show a few concepts I thought of and a snooker table was one of them.

I didn't do a photorealistic of my concept but here's one of the pages it showing it.

Jaysus that page looks class. Yeah I did the same and showed a few concepts, one of mine was a rubix cube design, I think someone else mentioned they did that. I had a pacman one too which was fairly basic, same shape as standard sat navs. My theme was games and recreation. :pac: (Haha, that smiley is so useful for this post!)

Dammit, one guy in my class did his as part of the sun visor, hope he won't get marked down for that.

Dammit, one guy in my class did his as part of the sun visor, hope he won't get marked down for that.

As in built in to the visor or attachable to the visor? I was considering doing the latter at one point

As in built in to the visor or attachable to the visor? I was considering doing the latter at one point

Built-in. It was a good idea I thought. He did include the clips so the sun visor itself was removable.

Built-in. It was a good idea I thought. He did include the clips so the sun visor itself was removable.

Ya i'm not sure about that one, couldnt really describe it as a portable sat nav then

<image snipped>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

Could someone put up their output 7 for a concept design? I'm not sure if mine is right or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

Bump. Forgot to say that the reason I don't know if mine is right is my teacher went to Lanzarote last Monday week. He signed everything he had to and the only advice he gave was make sure you send them away

Advertisement