Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Playstation 3 has been "jailbroken" *MOD NOTE POST 220*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

madmoe wrote: »
    I use VidZone all the time, will not work now if there is mandatory firmware update......but there is no way I'm gonna update now this is out!!

VidZone and psn will be unavailable to you if you uses these, regardless of if a new firmware is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Bummer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Posted to death buuuuuuttttt............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

Seems to be **** loads of clones on the way and guys using the code that was made available too!!

Who cares about clones, the exploit has been released. Get a Teensy ++ board, program the .hex and away you go.

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    Who cares about clones, the exploit has been released. Get a Teensy ++ board, program the .hex and away you go.

Sound...me is not well up on all that though! I wonder who will be the first in Dublin to start selling then ;-) I sure will buy one.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

madmoe wrote: »
    Sound...me is not well up on all that though! I wonder who will be the first in Dublin to start selling then ;-) I sure will buy one.....

The "bloke down the pub" is going to have a field day with these, expect hefty prices.

It might be a good idea to make a thread or add to one in the Playstation forum, and state the advantages, disadvantages and risks that are involved while keeping it separate form the guides and faq that the console mod section will have. A good few people will be looking and may regret it later even if it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ledmanroy

any sign of the software on the net yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

ledmanroy wrote: »
    any sign of the software on the net yet!!
    The software is afaik, but you still need the €30 special usb stick.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to make a thread or add to one in the Playstation forum, and state the advantages, disadvantages and risks that are involved while keeping it separate form the guides and faq that the console mod section will have. A good few people will be looking and may regret it later even if it works fine.

As it stands, the ONLY use for this so far is to backup games. While the ethics of this are down to the individual, the risk of a PSN account & hardware ban is almost certain.

Advantages - I suppose a person could consider it convenient to have their PS3 game library backed up, & playable without having to swap discs. That's it, for now.

Disadvantages - Goodbye PSN, no more firmware updates (although at the rate Sony is removing features, this could be a benefit :D), some will say it contributes to lesser quality games/fewer exclusives/3rd party dev problems, laser burnouts as the dumping process seems pretty intensive, god knows what else :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Its going to boil down to personal preference ...

Buy one of these Yokes and get free "backed up" games , but sacrifice your on line gaming .

OR

Stick with your virgin PS3 and keep it On Line/Multplayer .

For me at this moment in time its a simple decision .
    I wont want/need to back-up my games , nothing got to do with piracy (wont go into that right now :eek: ) but I play nearly all my games on line .I wont be giving that up for nothing .

Multiplayer is the future , what might happen is people will have 2 consoles
    1 with a shoite load of ripped off line games .
    1 for their on line experience .

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I have no interest in pirating games and i have a somewhat passionate hatred of pirates, so i shall not be using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

mixednuts wrote: »
    Multiplayer is the future , what might happen is people will have 2 consoles
    1 with a shoite load of ripped off line games .
    1 for their on line experience .
    Aye, and then they'll try and justify it by saying they can't afford games...:o

I have no interest in pirating games and i have a somewhat passionate hatred of pirates, so i shall not be using it!

But the authors release has the piracy features disabled, so using it isn't akin to being a pirate (well the proper release anyway). The author is actually somewhat of an anti-pirate himself believe it or not. It's just at the moment there's nothing else to run, except the backup manager. I expect that to change over the next few months though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

this usb thingy means you stick the usb into the console, save the game you currently have in the disktray onto this, then you can take the disc out and the game is on the usb so you don't need the disc anymore?

EnterNow wrote: »
    But the authors release has the piracy features disabled, so using it isn't akin to being a pirate (well the proper release anyway). The author is actually somewhat of an anti-pirate himself believe it or not. It's just at the moment there's nothing else to run, except the backup manager. I expect that to change over the next few months though...

From what i've heard he didn't remove the feature but as you said disabled it, it would be hard to just set some config value = , which is what the later released version had from someone else.

People need Sony's tools to program for the ps3, the result of homebrew is still created with pirated tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

mink_man wrote: »
    this usb thingy means you stick the usb into the console, save the game you currently have in the disktray onto this, then you can take the disc out and the game is on the usb so you don't need the disc anymore?

Kinda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I don't see the point to any of this. I mean it's not as if swapping discs manually is a massive chore, is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    I don't see the point to any of this. I mean it's not as if swapping discs manually is a massive chore, is it? :rolleyes:

go to xtra vision, rent a game, copy it and bring it back

never have to buy a game again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

If you have the HD exploit on your PS2 then you'd know how handy it is. Also saves on wear and tear on the disc drive and reduces heat generated from the disc drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Meh. I still won't be getting it. Even though I rarely play online it's still handy to have, and since I don't have the dough to fork out for another PS3 I'm not going to risk losing it for the novelty of getting the games cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Headshot wrote: »
    go to xtra vision, rent a game, copy it and bring it back

never have to buy a game again

The Sligo xtra vision lets you rent games for a minimum of 1 week and it costs €10. I don't know if it's the same in others.

Still worth it :pac:.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you have the HD exploit on your PS2 then you'd know how handy it is. Also saves on wear and tear on the disc drive and reduces heat generated from the disc drive.

Agreed. I've the PS2 exploit running, with all my games archived onto an IDE drive inside the console, it's VERY nice to use. I don't have to worry about the sub-standard laser units that Sony use (to this day) burning out, & loading times are cut massively. I'll prob never use the dvd drive in it again tbh.

Although the PS3 method differs slightly, I can see the appeal of it for some.

The renting games thing to copy is bad form.

the Australians gave the name of the original makers if anyone cares

China Sun Trading Limited.

the lawsuit is adjourned now but i don't know the results.

some people were saying the lawsuit doesn't matter and Sony would be better spending time and money on a fix, personally i don'y want anyone to profit from piracy as they would have but i don't include the parts to buy yourself as someone making a profit.

Varik wrote: »
    the Australians gave the name of the original makers if anyone cares

China Sun Trading Limited.

the lawsuit is adjourned now but i don't know the results.

some people were saying the lawsuit doesn't matter and Sony would be better spending time and money on a fix, personally i don'y want anyone to profit from piracy as they would have but i don't include the parts to buy yourself as someone making a profit.

The lawsuit is over, the injunction is permanent. Refunds have begun for anyone who ordered it, it seems.

Personal piracy is bad, but piracy for profit I find very hard to abide by. I do be sick seeing Flash Cards etc on stalls loaded with games going for crazy money.

Some might say that they won the battle but lost the war.

Don't get me wrong im not for piracy but I love homebrew. I have made applications for the psp and am looking forward to doing the same for the ps3.

once ps3 groove is ported to android, iOS and psp people will have so many ways to hack there ps3 and I will be one of them.

Sony lost but are definatly went down fighting. I just feel sorry for the guys who where selling it, they will lose so much money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

They got what they deserved tbh.

They got what they deserved tbh.

Agreed, they were going for the big-time with this one. Serves them all right tbh.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Agreed, they were going for the big-time with this one. Serves them all right tbh.

It was psjailbreak that set the price not the two companies that where attacked in this injunction.

They are offering a refund to anyone that ordered also, at least they didn't turn tail and run!

Advertisement