Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Playstation 3 has been "jailbroken" *MOD NOTE POST 220*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gizmo wrote: »
    Not very well I'd imagine unless they get some experienced Cell guys on the team.

The PsGroove 1.1 update will have an "exciting new feature for devs", and will be out today it seems. Oh the intrigue :pac:

Edit - It's out now, they've implemented the ability to dump ramspace, for code analysis & development. Also it seems they are developing a free toolchain/sdk...which means the leaked Sony one won't have to be used eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

EnterNow wrote: »
    The PsGroove 1.1 update will have an "exciting new feature for devs", and will be out today it seems. Oh the intrigue :pac:

Edit - It's out now, they've implemented the ability to dump ramspace, for code analysis & development. Also it seems they are developing a free toolchain/sdk...which means the leaked Sony one won't have to be used eventually.
    Interesting indeed. In terms of the performance needed to emulate the DC though I'd imagine they'll need to be pretty handy with their Cell programming, hence my above comment.

Interesting indeed. In terms of the performance needed to emulate the DC though I'd imagine they'll need to be pretty handy with their Cell programming, hence my above comment.

I'm not sure if it's a complete re-write, or some kind of port with a Cell interpreter. Last I read up on it (a while ago), there are interpreters for porting programmes onto different hardware etc. Remains to be seen I guess, the Dreamcast & PS2 are tough cookies to emulate though, even the x86/x64 code is far from perfect.

I'm not sure if it's a complete re-write, or some kind of port with a Cell interpreter. Last I read up on it (a while ago), there are interpreters for porting programmes onto different hardware etc. Remains to be seen I guess, the Dreamcast & PS2 are tough cookies to emulate though, even the x86/x64 code is far from perfect.
    Tough cookies is one hell of a euphemism for PS2 development, natively at least. While getting the emulators up and running is one thing though, having them run efficiently will be the biggest issue. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The proxy server bypass was used the last time with the otheros, why has Sony not prevented that from working this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

*snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Star Bingo wrote: »
    *snip*

The custom F\W when it comes out should do the job....

madmoe wrote: »
    The custom F\W when it comes out should do the job....
    It's incredibly naive to think that Sony won't be able to detect CFW and just ban the console from PSN, proxy or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK guys, discussion of this topic is necessary, but please refrain from 'piracy' talk, like providing links or tips on how to play...ahem... 'backups'. I'm sure boards doesn't want to encourage this, and could ultimately get you and the site in trouble! Obviously big news, but talk about the topic as it develops as opposed to anything illegal!

It's incredibly naive to think that Sony won't be able to detect CFW and just ban the console from PSN, proxy or not.

Agreed, the sooner the better bannings start. Using this to pirate games & then use a free PSN service for multi-player enjoyment just deserves pain.

• Advertisement

i'd be petrified of em detecting custom firmware if it were possible and banning my a/c. i didn't chock up level 14 for nowt - as a 'potential pirate' that is; any one of the millions out there.

i'd be petrified of em detecting custom firmware if it were possible and banning my a/c. i didn't chock up level 14 for nowt - as a 'potential pirate' that is; any one of the millions out there.

They won't just ban the account they ban the ps3 as well.

of course, that too - its just that 'merely' banning my a/c would have the same impact as a brick in said scenario, its not worth the potential risk. am sure many of the potential millions value their achievements just as much.. its a strong deterrent n i'd imagine they're glad they introduced em now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

of course, that too - its just that 'merely' banning my a/c would have the same impact as a brick in said scenario, its not worth the potential risk. am sure many of the potential millions value their achievements just as much.. its a strong deterrent n i'd imagine they're glad they introduced em now

I hear you. However for people like me who really only ever play single player I think it's worth the risk...

Varik wrote: »
    They won't just ban the account they ban the ps3 as well.
    Pity they can't brick the console while they're at it. It's amazing how much people will complain when a company goes after their own stuff when said people couldn't care less who they steal from themselves. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Pity they can't brick the console while they're at it. It's amazing how much people will complain when a company goes after their own stuff when said people couldn't care less who they steal from themselves. :(

We the consumer get screwed left, right and center. TBH I have no issues with screwing the corporations back when the opportunity arises. Karma at work, and ultimately its their negligence which allows it to come to pass.

It's amazing isn't it. Now that everything has quietened down to an extent, the whole scene has turned into a greed fest. The accounts & hardware should be perma-banned, the console crippled like the 360 Hard Drive installs, and all future games made incompatable with it.

That would give the kids something to moan about.

Inquitus wrote: »
    We the consumer get screwed left, right and center. TBH I have no issues with screwing the corporations back when the opportunity arises. Karma at work, and ultimately its their negligence which allows it to come to pass.

In fairness, to run the exploit you have to have BOUGHT a PS3, used or otherwise, the console was still sold. And I would imagine there's been a substantial upsurge in console sales last week. It's the 3rd party game devs I pity, that's where the losses occur.

In fairness, to run the exploit you have to have BOUGHT a PS3, used or otherwise, the console was still sold. And I would imagine there's been a substantial upsurge in console sales last week. It's the 3rd party game devs I pity, that's where the losses occur.

I guess ultimately the amount of piracy will be proportional to the ease of doing it. My Xbox360 is not modded at all, no drive firmwares no nothing. My PSP is softmodded as is my Wii, and likely my PS3 will be too. The ultimate irony is I have 3 kids under the age of 6 and the last game I played was Red Dead Redemption (PS3) in June!

The only people you're screwing are the developers, those people who work insane hours under large amounts of pressure to develop the titles you seem happy to steal, that's a great example for your kids. :rolleyes:

And no, it's not "their negligence" which caused this it's cheap ***** who can afford PCs, HDTVs, consoles and all the rest yet will probably make the excuse that they can't afford to pay for all of these games and they wouldn't have bought them if they couldn't pirate them. Stop making excuses, you're stealing software whether you want to admit it or not.

Also, on a side note, it's highly ironic that people will complain about corporate greed when the first iteration of this hack cost $150 yet is now available for free for use on a wide range of devices. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I guess ultimately the amount of piracy will be proportional to the ease of doing it. My Xbox360 is not modded at all, no drive firmwares no nothing. My PSP is softmodded as is my Wii, and likely my PS3 will be too. The ultimate irony is I have 3 kids under the age of 6 and the last game I played was Red Dead Redemption (PS3) in June!

Exactly, that's why these piracy in a box type solutions bother me so much. June? Get gaming man, before your flamed :pac:

The only people you're screwing are the developers, those people who work insane hours under large amounts of pressure to develop the titles you seem happy to steal, that's a great example for your kids. :rolleyes

He only said his PSP & Wii are soft-modded, how does that mean he's screwing anyone? Mine are soft-modded too, but not used for piracy...does that mean I'm screwing someone over?

You'll see I agree with nearly all of your previous points on the matter, but modding doesn't necessarily = piracy. If it did, there would be no forum on boards.ie for me to moderate.

He only said his PSP & Wii are soft-modded, how does that mean he's screwing anyone? Mine are soft-modded too, but not used for piracy...does that mean I'm screwing someone over?

You'll see I agree with nearly all of your previous points on the matter, but modding doesn't necessarily = piracy. If it did, there would be no forum on boards.ie for me to moderate.
    Given his posts in the thread thus far I suppose one could call it an educated guess that they're being used to play "backup" games. That being said it was more of a general "you" directed at people using the modified version of the jailbreak to play "backup" games.

Given his posts in the thread thus far I suppose one could call it an educated guess that they're being used to play "backup" games. That being said it was more of a general "you" directed at people using the modified version of the jailbreak to play "backup" games.

Ah I see, my mistake :o

Someone just released an FTP server, with read/write access to nearly everything. Sorry Inquitus, shameless newsbreak theft there :p

Pity they can't brick the console while they're at it.

Don't see why they can't, the licence(which is what any software is) was voided as soon as a person uses one of these and any right you have to uses the PS3 OS is gone.

Don't see why they can't, the licence(which is what any software is) was voided as soon as a person uses one of these and any right you have to uses the PS3 OS is gone.
    Terms of Use violation for the OS is an interesting one actually. The reason I didn't think they could get away with it was because, up until a few minutes ago, I could have sworn Apple got stung legally for attempting this on the iPhones a few years ago. Evidently they didn't and, on the contrary, are still developing methods to remotely disable them.

My PSP was dug out of a cupboard having gathered dust for 3 years about 6 mths ago and modded for the craic, I just used it to play capcom old arcade ROMS from when I was a kid, its again gathering dust. Carrier Airwing and SFII were ftw thought :)

The kids play the Wii, though I did install games I owned to the usbloader, mainly because kids + CD's = disaster. They are too young to need more than a few games, and I don't have time for the Wii myself, so I have never downloaded any.

I have nothing against Piracy though, all the development houses are now massive corporations, the same as BP and co. The days of small dev houses are long gone with games costing millions up front, and they screw every last penny out of us anyways. I buy my games on Steam due to the kids destroying DVDs issues, and I resent being charged a premium on a shop price for what is a digital copy with none of the associated costs of a shop sale.

Why would they want to brick it though? I reckon they'd much rather cripple some features, meaning you had to buy any future games used on the console. At least they'll still get 1st party rights/3rd party royalties etc.

I also forgot to add I take great umbrage at games etc. being deliberately sold on fragile media prone to degrading over time and easily destroyed by simple accidents.

• Advertisement

I buy my games on Steam due to the kids destroying DVDs issues, and I resent being charged a premium on a shop price for what is a digital copy with none of the associated costs of a shop sale.

Steam is cheaper than a shop most of the time and have frequent sales with ridiculous value, the only reason other like Sony and MS have the price the same or greater than shops is because they can't undercut them without pissing off the people who sell the consoles.

Advertisement