Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Playstation 3 has been "jailbroken" *MOD NOTE POST 220*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

noodler wrote: »
    Hey, randomly, when are reviews out for VC2 on PSP?

If you aren't reviewing it then what are the impressions from the guy on your team who is?

no idea

dont even think anyones reviewing it

could be wrong though

zero interest in the handheld side of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

Rumours around the web. Sony themselves leaked this hack to increase console sales. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

ROCE1977 wrote: »
    Rumours around the web. Sony themselves leaked this hack to increase console sales. lol

Cheers for the laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

thats what I thought when it was posted on PS3 scene and Ps3 hacks.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sony Temporarily Blocks Sale Of PS3 Modchips.

I was under the assumption the tech came from Asia but was first leaked by the Aussie guys. Either way, seems Sony are definitely taking it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

The plot thickens.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »
    Sony Temporarily Blocks Sale Of PS3 Modchips.

I was under the assumption the tech came from Asia but was first leaked by the Aussie guys. Either way, seems Sony are definitely taking it seriously.

This is about the sale/import/export of the mod in/to/from Australian, even if the mod is form else where it will still help them. The mod sellers have to hand over all stock to Sonys lawyers(hope those lawyer are careful not to damage them) till a permanent solution on the legality of these is reached and then if the guys who leaked this will probable be forced to give the source.
    Don't think Sony will have a hard time making the ban permanent, as the mod does use Sonys tech to work, even if modding or back ups are legal the means is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Varik wrote: »
    This is about the sale/import/export of the mod in/to/from Australian, even if the mod is form else where it will still help them. The mod sellers have to hand over all stock to Sonys lawyers(hope those lawyer are careful not to damage them) till a permanent solution on the legality of these is reached and then if the guys who leaked this will probable be forced to give the source.
    Don't think Sony will have a hard time making the ban permanent, as the mod does use Sonys tech to work, even if modding or back ups are legal the means is not.

I would say the injunction will be made permanent alright, however there were numerous devices sent out to affiliates, many of which have been opened to reveal the contents. Now that the method & execution is known, the information is no doubt going to be used by someone else. Gamefreax detailed the whole booting/dev sequence, so Sony's lawyers are going to be VERY busy...

The lawsuit that Sony have made against the developers (who apparently are the Australians) of this mod has resulted in the developer conceding that it is likely Sony will be able to defeat it easily with firmware update, and considering they have been given samples to test it won't be long. So even the hacks makers knew it wouldn't be hard to stop, makes sense when you think about the price that it was all for a quick profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

tbh i dont get why they put all their eggs in the one basket with this and shouldve shipped it out to more than the 1 country/distributor

• Advertisement

The lawsuit that Sony have made against the developers (who apparently are the Australians) of this mod has resulted in the developer conceding that it is likely Sony will be able to defeat it easily with firmware update, and considering they have been given samples to test it won't be long. So even the hacks makers knew it wouldn't be hard to stop, makes sense when you think about the price that it was all for a quick profit.

All anyone who uses it has to do is wait for firmware tools etc to be developed/released before updating. The update isn't even developed/debugged so it's still going to take time.
    weeder wrote: »
    tbh i dont get why they put all their eggs in the one basket with this and shouldve shipped it out to more than the 1 country/distributor

They did, it's already cloned. Expect more of these very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

EnterNow wrote: »
    so Sony's lawyers are going to be VERY busy...
    They cant sue China. If this has been cloned, its already game over.

CiaranC wrote: »
    They cant sue China. If this has been cloned, its already game over.

that x3 clone is fake, it's just a flash memory stick.

that x3 clone is fake, it's just a flash memory stick.

They're not all going to be fakes, now that the method is known, there wil be a flood of these. Cheap asian clones, fakes, & genuine ones.

Just a question, if the original has been blocked from leaving the country (australia), how will the chinese accquire the software?

Just a question, if the original has been blocked from leaving the country (australia), how will the chinese accquire the software?

Reports are they originated in Asia, with ozmods being the first to get a shipment. I've also seen reports that Autralian devs came up with the idea, the info is too sketchy to know what's true/false at the moment.

It's over for today seem it start up again.

here's the files from the day

The Notice of Appearance wasn't filed by all the sellers so that means they didn't show up or participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭captainbirdseye

I knew it! Happy days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

*sigh*

The ball is firmly in Sony's court now I guess. At least the PSgroove guys disabled the iso loading when they released it, a limitation which has unfortunately been circumvented. Typical pirates though, you give them an inch and they take a mile. :(

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    *sigh*

The ball is firmly in Sony's court now I guess. At least the PSgroove guys disabled the iso loading when they released it, a limitation which has unfortunately been circumvented. Typical pirates though, you give them an inch and they take a mile. :(

Is that ISO loading in the traditional sense? I wasn't aware the software could boot images...

Or by ISO do they mean the dumped game files?

It requires the change of 4 ASCII characters to enable the use of Backup manager.

Wast really 'Disabled' as such. No it dosnt boot ISOs, yet anyway.

To anyone reading who uses this to play pirated games, ffffffffffffffff uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

:)

here's a thought anyone who uses this has breached the terms of the PS os licence, MS don't brick a 360 they remove live and a few other things but both Sony and MS could just remove the OS fully as you no longer have the right to use it no matter the legality of nodding the hardware. Having a new system to update the console will be needed to prevent pirates playing newer games, i think the Firmware will no longer be available on the internet on psn.

To anyone reading who uses this to play pirated games, ffffffffffffffff uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

:)

I agree with your sentiments, the wording Im not sure about though :pac:

The only thing I'll say is, now that it's been done, given the choice between a community homebrew release or pig hungry vendors making huge sums of money...I'll choose the community release every time. Martinbroadclk in my eyes is to be commended for releasing the code, free of charge, with backup useage disabled (3rd party re-enabled). He could have got on the money bandwagon but didn't.

It was going to happen at some stage, and although I feel really bad for game dev's, I'm so happy this hasn't turned into Playstation's version of the DS flashcard vendor scene.

here's a thought anyone who uses this has breached the terms of the PS os licence, MS don't brick a 360 they remove live and a few other things but both Sony and MS could just remove the OS fully as you no longer have the right to use it no matter the legality of nodding the hardware. Having a new system to update the console will be needed to prevent pirates playing newer games, i think the Firmware will no longer be available on the internet on psn.

With the ability the run unsigned code, I would imagine there will be a plethora of tools on the horizon related to firmware upgrade/downgrade. All someone has to do is hold off on any updates for the moment. Sony really need to get in gear and get something out there, to at least try disable this for the majority of users.

Look at the PSP firmware scene....all because of unsigned code.

I'm sorry, i was woken up for the third morning in a row by the builders upstairs, i'm a tad cranky :pac:

I'm sorry, i was woken up for the third morning in a row by the builders upstairs, i'm a tad cranky :pac:

Ugh, my sympathies man. Builder noise in the mornings is horrific at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Must pick up a PS3 now

• Advertisement

I use VidZone all the time, will not work now if there is mandatory firmware update......but there is no way I'm gonna update now this is out!!

Advertisement