Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Playstation 3 has been "jailbroken" *MOD NOTE POST 220*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony are bringing the big guns with a 3.50, a higher version update will show the pirates who's boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11035928

Sony is preping 3.42 firmware to block this.

Yea the are removing the Blue Ray Reader :rolleyes:

Only joking but should be interesting to see how they tackle this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Varik wrote: »
    Sony are being the big guns with a 3.50, a higher version update will show the pirates who's boss.

Yea real impressive boss by removing a "paid for" feature :rolleyes: **cough OTHER OS

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Interesting.

One would imagine if this is true and is prooven to be so then Sony will come down on it like a ton of bricks.

Will definately be watching this space so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Sony are planning to come around to your house and block up your USB ports apparently only a small % of people use them anyway and you can charge your pads through your PC.

Piracy on PS3 is of no concern to me it would take me a week to download a game anyway nd im too impatient, ffs ive bought a second copy of a game on release day because my pre order didnt arrive on the friday and i couldnt wait till monday !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

damn you bet me to it :D

ffs ive bought a second copy of a game on release day because my pre order didnt arrive on the friday and i couldnt wait till monday !!!

I've done that before, you return the unopened game form the post to shop. Get it day one and pay the cheaper internet price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've done that before, you return the unopened game form the post to shop. Get it day one and pay the cheaper internet price.

You could do that or like me you could forget about it and end up with two copies of GTA4, Killzone2 and Batman stil in the plastic still on the shelf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Oh wow thats a great idea better keep it quiet though or retailers might cop on!

good point..they already dont let ya bring back PC cds cause its so easy to copy them and play :) imagine if they could cop on you could do that for wii and the xbox :) couldnt trade in anything then :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

I'm guessing that this will be like the 360 one where they know if you're playing these games online and ban your account for online play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I'm guessing that this will be like the 360 one where they know if you're playing these games online and ban your account for online play?

ms dont know if youre playing backups, they only know if your drive is modified

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've been saving a backup 40GB PS3 for 2 years waiting for this :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Don't need to pay for a new PSN account to play online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

rizzla wrote: »
    Don't need to pay for a new PSN account to play online though.
    Here's hoping they just console ban people then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

As good as this is and all, won't Sony just release a mandatory update to stop the hack?

If the this does make a retail ps3 act as a dev kit, i'd would have assumed that Sony would have had some system in place to monitor dev kits and possible these fake dev kits ps3s to prevent nefarious acts.
    It'd be hard to believe that Sony who have had such a strong stance against anything that could allow piracy to let dev kits go unprotected.

digitalfoundry vs psjailbreak article, the opinion is that this is illegal no matter the legality of modding or backing ups as the mod uses Stolen and reversed engineered hardware and software.

i just think once they found a way to get it they will find it again no matter what sony does...soon maybe even complete soft mods...

i just think once they found a way to get it they will find it again no matter what sony does...soon maybe even complete soft mods...

That's the way it was with the psp, no matter the changes in the firmware new way were made to get past them. The ps3 went 4 years without being hacked that in itself is a big difference between them, and while i don't think that the firmware updates each time will take 4 years each it won't be as fast as the psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,943 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

"Indeed, the chip itself is said to protect the console from executing system updates. This of course precludes PSN access, and in the fullness of time this approach will stop newer PS3 games from running as they will be reliant on software elements found only in the newer firmware."

don't get that entirely. the chip can stop you from signing in? think i can resist that myself

also, seems u'd wanna to be usin this dongle via secondary (sacrificial) PS3 in case sony comes up with some sorta lock-out? :confused: ironic i've a 40gb launch twice-victim of blu-ray failure gathering dust.. but this is all too easy via a USB stick, makes for a lot of potential hypocrites with apparently higher moral values than myself commenting around the web saying no i wouldn't do this - harder not to imo.. tragic they've cracked the system really :(

hmm still wouldn't get the PS3...

currently own a Wii (since it has all the best Resident Evil games and its better for family fun)

next in shopping list is the Xbox Slim + The Kinetic (once available)

ive seen the new PS motion controllers but i don't think it can beat the MS Kinetic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

hmm still wouldn't get the PS3...

currently own a Wii (since it has all the best Resident Evil games and its better for family fun)

next in shopping list is the Xbox Slim + The Kinetic (once available)

ive seen the new PS motion controllers but i don't think it can beat the MS Kinetic ;)

Ok then....

h

move absolutely rapes kinect in every concievable way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Helix wrote: »
    move absolutely rapes kinect in every concievable way

From lurking around here I gather you are a journalist yourself...where can we read your work or would you post impressions of Move and Kinect on boards?

From lurking around here I gather you are a journalist yourself...where can we read your work or would you post impressions of Move and Kinect on boards?

games editor of click magazine

so tell me whats so great about playstation move ? :D sorry never seen any reviews of it so i dont know whats it like ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

so tell me whats so great about playstation move ? :D sorry never seen any reviews of it so i dont know whats it like ;)

Why don't you read a review?

Let's get back on topic please.

i don't see the point of piracy on a home console, Sony or MS can easily stop you using psn or live and at this stage i personally spend more time playing online than off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Star Bingo wrote: »
    "Indeed, the chip itself is said to protect the console from executing system updates. This of course precludes PSN access, and in the fullness of time this approach will stop newer PS3 games from running as they will be reliant on software elements found only in the newer firmware."

don't get that entirely. the chip can stop you from signing in? think i can resist that myself

The chip will stop you from updating your firmware from Sony. If you don't update the firmware you won't have access to online gaming, PS store etc... Just like when they had the firmware update to remove Other OS.

Advertisement