Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Playstation 3 has been "jailbroken" *MOD NOTE POST 220*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Limericks wrote: »
    It was psjailbreak that set the price not the two companies that where attacked in this injunction.

They are offering a refund to anyone that ordered also, at least they didn't turn tail and run!

Oh really? I wasn't aware of the price being pre-set by CST, is there a source? Good point re the refunds, but I wouldn't say they'd get away with something like that, particularly after a court injunction where the directors were all undoubtadly named/appeared. Those distrib's are red-hot now in terms of the law & they're next move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was about to call EnterNow an idiot and mentioning all the bad thing about this hack and the loss developers will see, but on further comments it appears you were not talking about Sony deserving this.

If the price was not set by CST then the other retailers would have a least tried to undercut each other a bit.

Varik wrote: »
    Was about to call EnterNow an idiot and mentioning all the bad thing about this hack and the loss developers will see, but on further comments it appears you were not talking about Sony deserving this.

If the price was not set by CST then the other retailers would have a least tried to undercut each other a bit.

Not a wise thing to do here, whether it's about me or anyone else :p But no I can assure you I'm all for protecting the developers in this case Varik. I'm very against anyone making money out of this, on the backs of console/game devs.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Not a wise thing to do here, whether it's about me or anyone else :p But no I can assure you I'm all for protecting the developers in this case Varik. I'm very against anyone making money out of this, on the backs of console/game devs.

You're preaching to the Choir, probably would have just muttered to myself about it or tweeted to my millions of followers .

I had to choose between my linux install and psn and even if i was a pirate or this was legal and it was free games vs psn, i'd still pick psn.

You're preaching to the Choir, probably would have just muttered to myself about it or tweeted to my millions of followers .

I had to choose between my linux install and psn and even if i was a pirate or this was legal and it was free games vs psn, i'd still pick psn.

I don't think it's illegal to use the exploit, using the backup manager is a different story as you pointed out earlier (it's built with the Sony SDK)...but the exploit is just clever usb traffic. Although it does imitate the HW/ID of a genuine jig, but as to the legality of that...I'm not so sure it's illegal...is it?? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Oh really? I wasn't aware of the price being pre-set by CST, is there a source? Good point re the refunds, but I wouldn't say they'd get away with something like that, particularly after a court injunction where the directors were all undoubtadly named/appeared. Those distrib's are red-hot now in terms of the law & they're next move.

*snip dodgy site*

I don't think it's illegal to use the exploit, using the backup manager is a different story as you pointed out earlier (it's built with the Sony SDK)...but the exploit is just clever usb traffic. Although it does imitate the HW/ID of a genuine jig, but as to the legality of that...I'm not so sure it's illegal...is it?? :p

I meant piracy, as in using this hack to get free games. Either was i'm sticking with psn.

*snip

China has taken it's own route in communism and this does not surprise me, was in a restaurant(not very fancy one) there and a can of coke was about €3, got one from a vending machine for €0.30ish a bit latter.

I meant piracy, as in using this hack to get free games. Either was i'm sticking with psn.

China has taken it's own route in communism and this does not surprise me, was in a restaurant(not very fancy one) there and a can of coke was about €3, got one from a vending machine for €0.30ish a bit latter.

Ah you see, that's the problem. People are associating the exploit with the backup manager programme...although it's likely the two will go hand in hand, it is worth pointing out that the backup app is a completely seperate programme. For the record & all that :p

Cheers for the link, one of the distrib's could have knocked the image together though to take the heat off themselves, but anythings possible I guess. If true, then CST deserve everything they get. Didn't know your in China...lucky sod :( 3 quid for a can, must be the Oriental Tiger...a close cousin of the now thought extinct Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

*snip*
    Hah, so much for honour amongst thieves. :rolleyes:

Didn't know your in China...lucky sod :( 3 quid for a can, must be the Oriental Tiger...a close cousin of the now thought extinct Celtic Tiger.

I'm not right now, prices vary a lot there more so if the city has many foreign tourists the inland cities aren't anywhere near as bad.

gizmo wrote: »
    Hah, so much for honour amongst thieves. :rolleyes:

not sure about honour but "Among Thieves" is there :D

unchpirate.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

2 of the jailbreak trailblazers for the iPhone (Comex & Musclenerd) are now on the ps3jailbreak bus .
    It seems that ps3groove is been ported to the iPhone so the iPhone can be used to jailbreak the PS3.

http://is.gd/eW0o0

Let me say one thing about these 2 devs , they hate anything got to do with piracy and constantly communicate that their jailbreak methods are never for piracy related material .

mixednuts wrote: »
    2 of the jailbreak trailblazers for the iPhone (Comex & Musclenerd) are now on the ps3jailbreak bus .
    It seems that ps3groove is been ported to the iPhone so the iPhone can be used to jailbreak the PS3.

http://is.gd/eW0o0

Let me say one thing about these 2 devs , they hate anything got to do with piracy and constantly communicate that their jailbreak methods are never for piracy related material .
    While that is noble in some respects, the fact remains that the release of ps3groove has now enabled the playback of backed up games on consoles. Personally I don't think it's worth the cost...

While that is noble in some respects, the fact remains that the release of ps3groove has now enabled the playback of backed up games on consoles. Personally I don't think it's worth the cost...

It was an inevetability, there's not a console on the planet which hasn't be made to run homebrew. The only good point, is nobody's going to get rich from the theft of games in this case, as it's source is free.

The jailbreak was selling for about e120 to Ireland & most other countries. Considering what the manufacturing costs are, the profit was going to be astronomical. If Sony get into gear and get an update out which blocks this, and make it a PSN compulsory update, before any firmware tools get developed, they may just be ok given the volume of PSN users. Still, it's the 3rd party devs I feel sorry for.

It was an inevetability, there's not a console on the planet which hasn't be made to run homebrew. The only good point, is nobody's going to get rich from the theft of games in this case, as it's source is free.

The jailbreak was selling for about e120 to Ireland & most other countries. Considering what the manufacturing costs are, the profit was going to be astronomical. If Sony get into gear and get an update out which blocks this, and make it a PSN compulsory update, before any firmware tools get developed, they may just be ok given the volume of PSN users. Still, it's the 3rd party devs I feel sorry for.

Sony's last firmware update or possibly the one before that allow for only small portion of the firmware to be downloaded that had the necessary changes. Before you'd need to download the full 130MB firmware each time Sony got an new idea, but not only small file downloads are needed.

Sony's last firmware update or possibly the one before that allow for only small portion of the firmware to be downloaded that had the necessary changes. Before you'd need to download the full 130MB firmware each time Sony got an new idea, but not only small file downloads are needed.

Yep...but what's that got to do with an update to prevent the exploit?

Yep...but what's that got to do with an update to prevent the exploit?

It means that every time Sony find an exploit and a way to prevent it, it won't mean a 130MB update a comparatively slow speed and will mean that the update could be very small.

It means that every time Sony find an exploit and a way to prevent it, it won't mean a 130MB update a comparatively slow speed and will mean that the update could be very small.

Of course, and they also I think I read somewhere, that under the new T&C's thet are allowed run background updates, without the users input. Whether they will or not is another question. Sooner they get a fix out the better, if firmware tools get developed they will have lost their chance to incentivise the updates. Look at the Wii scene for example.

Of course, and they also I think I read somewhere, that under the new T&C's thet are allowed run background updates, without the users input. Whether they will or not is another question. Sooner they get a fix out the better, if firmware tools get developed they will have lost their chance to incentivise the updates. Look at the Wii scene for example.

Is that what happened with the current firmware and the HDD problems, i tried to update to the fixed version and it said i had it already(maybe got the wrong file).

Is that what happened with the current firmware and the HDD problems, i tried to update to the fixed version and it said i had it already(maybe got the wrong file).

It's possible, but I didn't think ther were actively doing it at the mo. Maybe a game update you got had it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So, I dont have a clue about any of this, can someone tell me what pro's are there for this "Jailbreak"? Whats the point of it etc.

• Advertisement

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    So, I dont have a clue about any of this, can someone tell me what pro's are there for this "Jailbreak"? Whats the point of it etc.

Tbh it's all in the first post, on page one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

You get get around this using the proxy from the otheros mess.

And so begin the firmware wars, thanks a mill pirates, now we have to put up with all this **** because you're too cheap to buy games despite being able to afford the most expensive console on the market. :rolleyes:

Nice one out of Sony anyway, hopefully they find a way to close the last part of the loophole before CFW starts being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭theothers108

You're being illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

And so begin the firmware wars, thanks a mill pirates, now we have to put up with all this **** because you're too cheap to buy games despite being able to afford the most expensive console on the market. :rolleyes:

Nice one out of Sony anyway, hopefully they find a way to close the last part of the loophole before CFW starts being released.

Pandora's box is open now, and there's nothing Sony can do to shut it. At best they can prevent anyone pirating games from online play and perhaps from playing the latest and greatest future game releases, at worst CFW will get round this and they can't do anything.

Anyone with a 3.41 or below firmware effectively has an open PS3, and ignoring piracy, this also means genuine benefits - ability to play MKVs for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Have ALWAYS wanted the ability to play .MKV on my PS3!!

Anyone got PSFreedom working on their Nexus One? Does it have to be rooted?

http://psfreedom.com/wiki/index.php?title=Device_compatibility_list

Inquitus wrote: »
    Pandora's box is open now, and there's nothing Sony can do to shut it. At best they can prevent anyone pirating games from online play and perhaps from playing the latest and greatest future game releases, at worst CFW will get round this and they can't do anything.

Anyone with a 3.41 or below firmware effectively has an open PS3, and ignoring piracy, this also means genuine benefits - ability to play MKVs for instance.
    All true, I highly doubt they'll stop trying to plug the hole though.

As for the FW issue, doesn't the hack only work on 3.41 and not below?

As for the FW issue, doesn't the hack only work on 3.41 and not below?

I'd imagine they will try incorporate previous f/w's at a later stage. This is exactly how the PSP scene started out in a lot of ways, and we all know how that developed.

In some good news, one of the authors of NullDC & PCSX2 has stated he's getting back into coding on them...for the PS3. Maybe he can do a better job of PS2 compatability than Sony did with post-1st gen consoles. I wonder how well a Dreamcast emu would run on PS3 hardware.

See, some good non-piracy developments can also happen.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they will try incorporate previous f/w's at a later stage. This is exactly how the PSP scene started out in a lot of ways, and we all know how that developed.
    True :(
    In some good news, one of the authors of NullDC & PCSX2 has stated he's getting back into coding on them...for the PS3. Maybe he can do a better job of PS2 compatability than Sony did with post-1st gen consoles. I wonder how well a Dreamcast emu would run on PS3 hardware.
    Not very well I'd imagine unless they get some experienced Cell guys on the team. The possibilities are certainly interesting although the legalities are still up in the air since anything developed will have to use the leaked SDK which would make it an easy target for Sony.
    See, some good non-piracy developments can also happen.
    While some interesting projects can spring from a development like this, I still don't think it's worth it for the harm it will cause.

Advertisement