Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Playstation 3 has been "jailbroken" *MOD NOTE POST 220*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

F1ngers wrote: »
    Why don't you read a review?

Let's get back on topic please.

looked at it and it looks just the same as a Wii motion controller system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

main difference is that it works and works properly

its the only one of the 3 that does what you want, when you want, and behaves as youd expect it to in a fully 3d 1:1 way

of course the question is whether or not people want that? possibly not, but ill wager they want it more than they want to be prancing in front of kinect looking like a cock

theyve all got their plus points, depending on what youre after, but the ps move is the only one thats conducive to ACTUAL gaming

Helix wrote: »
    of course the question is whether or not people want that? possibly not, but ill wager they want it more than they want to be prancing in front of playstation move looking like a cock

do you see any difference in that? read your quote...i think in Wii/Xbox and PS you will be jumping around like a fool...

sorry i looked at the PS video of the Playstation Move and it hasn't showed anything to me but everything the Wii had in its system...ofc wii doesn't come close to decent graphics but most families that buy it don't even care about that...most people today have several consoles...

im not saying it wont be good :) the wii system isnt perfect it lacks alot of accuracy in certain games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just want to chime in and say that the word jailbroken is retarded. Hacked is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tony_Yeboah

jd007 wrote: »
    The chip will stop you from updating your firmware from Sony. If you don't update the firmware you won't have access to online gaming, PS store etc... Just like when they had the firmware update to remove Other OS.

Do you not need to run updates on certain new games to play them? Will this not put a stop to this assuming Sony find a solution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Do you not need to run updates on certain new games to play them? Will this not put a stop to this assuming Sony find a solution?
    Yep, in my case I haven't updated my firmware because I'll lose OtherOS support which I actually use. This means I can't connect to PSN, play Super Stardust HD and, probably in the future, not be able to play certain retail games as they'll require a sufficiently newer version of the firmware.

Varik from what I've seen there are pirates out there who are dedicated enough to own two consoles, one modded for offline single player games which they download and another unmodded one for Live games. Of course, courtesy of improved ripping methods you can get away with playing pirated games on Live these days however, as the last swinging of the banhammer shows, MS can find you if they want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »
    as the last swinging of the banhammer shows, MS can find you if they want. :)

And each swing happens just before a huge new game comes out. I did use Linux on mine but got rid of it before it was removed, i have a HTPC now and it was worth the money.

MS can find you if they want. :)

would take a while to find every single user on the top of the earth :) though once again there probably 1 in 10 people who would have their console hacked

would take a while to find every single user on the top of the earth :) though once again there probably 1 in 10 people who would have their console hacked
    Hah, detect is probably the better word there.

As for the 1 in 10 figure, well the Nov '09 banhammer resulted in 600k people getting done. That's out of a possible 35-ish million which means a little over 1.7%, so yea about that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

When trying to log into PSN today, it said "PlayStation@Network is currently undergoing maintenance".

Maybe this is the last we'll hear of PSJailbreak ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The chances Sony got their hands on a pre-release copy of the jig is very slim, I'd propose it was actually undergoing maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Next firmware update disables USB ports. [j/k]

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Zatoichi wrote: »

HAHAHA Thats brilliant! Reading it, those 6 words really upset me till I read the 7th!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Zatoichi wrote: »

Wouldn't put it past Sony, they fairly took out Other OS support after Geohot...

They'll probably disable the jigs if they can and move over to pressed CDs because the DVD drive firmware is yet to be cracked

Here's the first bit of good news anyway. Looks like there'll be no online play for a starters. Hopefully Sony come up with a way of storing the IDs of devices and games used so that when the console does go online it can be detected that way too.

Here's the first bit of good news anyway. Looks like there'll be no online play for a starters. Hopefully Sony come up with a way of storing the IDs of devices and games used so that when the console does go online it can be detected that way too.

Well for psn+ users it does know the last few games played so it can update them or more likely just acts this information. Could Sony fully brick a console (here or elsewhere) with the firmware as this it is only a licence and while you do own the machine the software is only licensed and whos terms the pirate has just breached.

I don't pirate games and all this DRM ****e affects me so whatever the worst punishment Sony can get away with would be good, the 360 gets partially bricked and that be nice.

As long as the new games like killzone and hopefully some multi platform games actually need the latest piracy proof(at least proof at the time) firmware to run rather than just checking the correct number it'd be fine, Sony have said that they can now provide a length of time that a game will be unable to be pirated(can't find the time length or podcast i heard this) on the psp and games do make the majority share of sales early so some safe time will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

as per the comments on YT, you can hear the discs being swapped at 1.23.

if it is true, im very surprised that the music and intro screen when the disc is highlighted takes the same amount of time to load as off a disc.

not believing this myself until further proof is provided

The video does go mysteriously dark and then bright again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Its still a grey area about backing up your own disks. I'm sure you could argue that if shops are offering insurance because the consoles scratch disks then this is a known manufacturers fault that you need to protect your investment.

Its still a grey area about backing up your own disks. I'm sure you could argue that if shops are offering insurance because the consoles scratch disks then this is a known manufacturers fault that you need to protect your investment.

Gamestop also say that it can't scratch disc when you buying a used game, and that you should trade in you console once a year.

The reality is that there are law that prevent the attempt to bypass DRM regardless of the protections effectiveness the US has very strong laws on this, if a simple password "123" was all it took to get past DRM and you used it without having a right to do so you've just broken a law.

It seem that this mod does use Sony hardware and software taken from the equipment they use to fix PS3, no matter the legality of backups the tool is illegal itself.

Varik wrote: »
    the 360 gets partially bricked

it does not

• Advertisement

Aye, the console is just banned from accessing Live so all you can do is go out and buy a new console.

On the PS3 it would be even more interesting, they could ban you from getting firmware and game updates so that when a game is released which requires newer firmware you'll be completely out of luck for both online and offline play.

Aye, the console is just banned from accessing Live so all you can do is go out and buy a new console.

On the PS3 it would be even more interesting, they could ban you from getting firmware and game updates so that when a game is released which requires newer firmware you'll be completely out of luck for both online and offline play.

someone will just upload the firmware to the web and people will install it via usb key

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkVZyEFyFpeyBGdGIN.php
    Hard Drive installs are now disabled on the banned console. This means any disk-based games you have will no longer play off of the hard drive. If you attempt to play a game, it will tell you that it was installed on a different 360 and needs to be deleted/installed again. When you delete the game and attempt to install it, you are given a message telling you that it is not supported. There is no way to fix this, that functionality is simply gone from the banned 360.
    it's more than just a live ban on the 360 when the console is banned. i would think that disabling an offline feature like running games off the HDD would be considered a partial brick, if the 360 was fully bricked nothing would work but only some feature are disabled.

someone will just upload the firmware to the web and people will install it via usb key

You can already get the firmware updates from a web without PSN, so i think Sony will have some additional measure in place.

Ah yes, but that will only work if the vulnerability is not closed in future updates. For instance, there would be no point in updating to a newer firmware in order to play a certain game only for said firmware to disable the device on reboot. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Might not happen though. If it uses an integrate part of the firmware then only a redesign of the motherboard would really stop it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Might not happen though. If it uses an integrate part of the firmware then only a redesign of the motherboard would really stop it.
    That's the main problem of course. The first thing that sprung to mind was to stop polling the USB ports during boot up but they can't do that either as that would stop them from using the tool for repairs themselves. With shipments of the drive starting soon I'm sure we'll see some news from either side soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

There should be reviews up on sites soon. Anyone here gonna get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will wait a while anyway to see how Sony retort. If they make it so you can't go online, I won't get it but might keep an eye out for a cheap 2nd hand ps3 that I would use just for the jailbreak but sounds like too much hassle.

Saying that, if I read the reviews and people are saying they are playing all these free games, I might be tempted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,301 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hey, randomly, when are reviews out for VC2 on PSP?

If you aren't reviewing it then what are the impressions from the guy on your team who is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Same here, he he he! I got so used to bit buying any games with me Wii...... terrible I know!

Advertisement