Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this is what the transition looks like when a boy becomes a girl

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'll be trying to get down to Gossip in Galway next month hopefully. It's great to hear your tranistion s going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

L3MGO.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Wow thats a serious change. :D

Wow, thats some serious change :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

Eebs wrote: »
    Generally I hate threads like this because I think it leads to a lot of people judging trans people based on their 'passability' and also their looks. At the end of the day, passing doesn't make you a better trans person or more authentic and I think that's a myth that gets sort of perpetuated by threads like this sometimes (consciously or unconsciously).

By "passability" do you mean how feminine the person now looks? Because I've seen quite a few people before where I haven't been able to tell, between on the bus, tv, and I'm sure I probably dont look perfectly feminine either. :L When my hairs a mess its kinda.. yuckyy.

Sorry if that sounded bad in any way. It wasnt meant to be perceived as hurtful or racist or anything. x

• Advertisement

Caught wrote: »
    By "passability" do you mean how feminine the person now looks? Because I've seen quite a few people before where I haven't been able to tell, between on the bus, tv, and I'm sure I probably dont look perfectly feminine either. :L When my hairs a mess its kinda.. yuckyy.

Sorry if that sounded bad in any way. It wasnt meant to be perceived as hurtful or racist or anything. x

Passability is in reference to how well a transsexual person 'passes' as their identified gender, it doesn't necessarily mean how 'feminine' a person looks, but simply means they're seen as female; they 'pass' as female. Or in the case of a FtM transsexual, how they're seen as male.

And don't worry, your question doesn't sound bad, or hurtful or anything.
    Some trans terminology can be quite confusing for a lot of people who are unfamiliar with it, and there's nothing wrong with asking honest questions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Passability, while understandable isn't a very nice term. Ideally it shouldn't matter how one looks, so long as one is at peace with oneself. However I can understand that life is likely to be easier if one isn't obviously identifiable as 'Transgender'. In an ideal world it wouldn't matter.:)

Found this video on the issue of SRS. Very well put.

Think I'll speak to my G.P. fairly soon. I have already sourced and spoken to a sympathetic alternative. I'll see what his response is and if I haven't confidence I'll switch.

xBfNX.jpg

• Advertisement

I admire the photos you stick up and I'm alittle envious at the same time :D

I'm envious of all these girls! HUGELY envious :D

She looks incredible in the last photo.

8ZogY.jpg

You're such a tease links :P :D

I'm sure you'll make just as impressive a transition as any of these girls ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 livlondon

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll make just as impressive a transition as any of these girls ;)

I don't think any of us actually will. Links234 do you collect these images or something? You have posted a lot of them. Although I have pictures on several websites, I'd still feel quite uncomfortable with them being compiled and comparisons being made between 'then and now.' Even if I were to make a collage myself and post it.

Very few of us will ever get to within 20% of the looks of these girls (myself obviously included). I think one or two are aspirational but you have posted quite a few. I'm not getting on your case I promise because not one of us should ever be responsible or represent an entire community (trans) but this isn't exactly educating the likes of the lay-man/woman/inbetween/outbetween/alien etc.. into transition. It's more of an exceptional superficial insight into a select few members of our community. The sense of loss, family strife, social problems, depression, the affects of the drugs, potential DVT, increased cancer increase, verbal abuse, physical abuse, job difficulties and the monetary cost are horrendous. Every year we lose people to suicide and violence (we have a day of remembrance for all those we have lost).

That is the true image of 'what transition looks like when a boy becomes a girl' and it's unfortunately not that pretty or 'passable.'

While one must appriciate that a transition will not be easy for anyone, we are all aware of the risks that come with (Well the majority anyway). As for the photos, it is possible to make such an impressive transition, the question is, are you will to spend the cash. Excuse me for saying this, but I've seen some fugly guys make a serious transition and exceed ones expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

I'm also in two minds about these photos. On the one hand, yes, they can be "inspirational", but on the other, they are pandering to the whole beauty thing that all women are expected to live up to.

Listen, girls, what's on the outside isn't what it's about. It's about what's on the inside, and that is true for us trans women more so than for genetic women, as we have insides which have a lot of male "baggage".

Yes it is fun to look your best, and yes that can be a way of expressing femininity. But have you never come across otherwise ugly genetic women who yet manage to express an amazing femininity? That is where the true inspiration is!

I know a trans woman who has a fantastically feminine walk. I asked her how she does it - what was her "technique"? Her answer was - "I go inside myself, I access my femininity, and I walk it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ericka89

I'm sure you've all heard of her. And this probably does apply to younger trans people too. But Kim Petras made a pretty flawless transition > kim_petras_00.jpg

I'm glad that young trans people have an inspiration like her!

• Advertisement

Ericka89 wrote: »
    I'm sure you've all heard of her. And this probably does apply to younger trans people too. But Kim Petras made a pretty flawless transition > kim_petras_00.jpg

I'm glad that young trans people have an inspiration like her!

Not to put her down, but she had very support parents from an incredibly young age and began her transition and hormones as she began puberty as a male. She gained notoriety, because she finalised her transition at 16 with SRS making her the youngest person to undergo such a procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ericka89

Not to put her down, but she had very support parents from an incredibly young age and began her transition and hormones as she began puberty as a male. She gained notoriety, because she finalised her transition at 16 with SRS making her the youngest person to undergo such a procedure.

Yes, I know. But I just think that with her backstory and alot of media attention that alot of parents might begin to understand their transgender child and support them through transitioning earlier in life.

Ericka89 wrote: »
    Yes, I know. But I just think that with her backstory and alot of media attention that alot of parents might begin to understand their transgender child and support them through transitioning earlier in life.

We can only hope that will be the case, but will not always happen. I'm 25 and I don't even know how my family will react yet. I can hope hope for a good outcome, but I'm being optimistic.

I'm hoping that facial feminisation could help me, an informed transwoman told me that she felt it could do a lot. Won't make me beautiful but will hopefuly remove some of the worst male features. Yes as Livilondon says costs are monetarily huge and I'm not sure how the social side will work out either, I'll do my best and live as myself, regardless of the consequences, that's all I can do, but I have no illusions, that at least in ways, it will be very challenging.

Yes Kim Petras never had a male puberty and all that entails as she had it blocked, of inestimatable benefit

I think a particular thread showing photo's is benefical, it show's what can be done, it could inspire some, reminds me of the Lynn Conway site which certainly initially encouraged me.

But women and men come in all shapes and sizes, only a few can be models.

I'm sorry if by posting these pictures I'm providing a skewed perspective or that I'm pandering to beauty, that's really not what I mean to do. I agree completely that it's what is inside that counts, I know that's a lot more involved in transition than what we see in the pics, and I understand the hardships, potential risks and yes, how many we lose to suicide and violence. I don't mean to gloss over any of that and I'm very sorry if that's what I've done

but I also think that it's important to show what's possible!
    When I saw these kinds of pictures, they gave me so much hope and so much inspiration, just to know what is possible. Without that, without thinking "yes, I could actually do this!" I don't know where I would be. Probably still in the closet, growing more and more miserable as time went on. It's not thinking that I'm going to be beautiful (I don't really think I will be honestly), it's just knowing what's possible (not what's probable) that gave me courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Keep posting the pics Links. I assumed the idea is to show the big transition changes at different stages. I think you've posted a sensible range of outcomes, some very beautiful while others quite plain. Either way all showed big changes from the before pictures which is what the thread was started for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Links234 wrote: »
    but I also think that it's important to show what's possible!
    When I saw these kinds of pictures, they gave me so much hope and so much inspiration, just to know what is possible. Without that, without thinking "yes, I could actually do this!" I don't know where I would be.
    Links,

I can understand that. However, the most important aspect of transition, I believe, is social transitioning. I've met some, shall we say, "plain" looking full-time trans women who live great lives (largely) unmolested because they present such a wonderful, simple, femininity in society.

They, to me, are the true inspiration, and not just for trans women.

Oh, and by the way, yes, you can do it! :D

Links,

I can understand that. However, the most important aspect of transition, I believe, is social transitioning. I've met some, shall we say, "plain" looking full-time trans women who live great lives (largely) unmolested because they present such a wonderful, simple, femininity in society.

They, to me, are the true inspiration, and not just for trans women.

Oh, and by the way, yes, you can do it! :D

Well, maybe it's just that I've very rarely met any full time trans women, and so I've found a different source of inspiration? Still, it's good to have these conversations ;)

And thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SassyGirl_1

http://www.youtube.com/user/TrannystarGalactica

loads of different points of view/opinions here.

• Advertisement

Yay, I've got my psychologist appointment :D
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TrannystarGalactica

loads of different points of view/opinions here.

That's an excellent youtube channel ;)

Advertisement