Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Dean Roche wrote: »
    God you can get a 100 Irish men in one area and 70% of them would be in tracksuit bottoms Fact!

I am one of the minority of Irish men that actually wears proper clothes and looks after myself.

Maybe you should start a Facebook group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dean Roche

Dudess wrote: »
    Living in Ireland, I think it's fair to say I see a lot of Irish men, and the hugely insulting likes of the above is very much the exception rather than the rule.
    From what I see, most people in Ireland are average-looking - the vast, vast majority don't stand out as either ugly or very beautiful. I'm not saying it's shallow to notice how a person looks now and again - especially if their looks are noticeable (in a good or bad way) or to place an importance on physical attractiveness when it comes to the opposite sex, but some people on this thread seem to spend WAY too much time nitpicking people's appearances, dress sense etc.

This is a perfect example of the very pretty Irish woman I am talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQjpwX6PxE

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I can see why objectively some would see her as very pretty, but she does little for me. Though I have met her in the past in passing and she comes across as very pleasant as a person. Notably so. Either way, again we're back to personal taste.

And I don't really get the tracksuit bottoms thing. :confused: Maybe I'm living in some jasmine scented never never land, but it's damned rare I would see men in tracky bottoms. Regardless of the Irish males dress code. Fecked if I know where you're pounding the streets. As a matter of interest what do you describe as "proper clothes"?

As an aside; what's with the big font?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

:confused:

I know you were talking about Irish men. And I don't see this majority that you speak of.

All you have to do is look around! The villages, towns, cities, streets, the supermarkets, shops and Neighbourhoods est. I never said all Irish men btw, I meant a lot, in fact too much! It’s got that bad that the government should drive the prices of them up to stop Irish men from buying them! Its making our country look like an eyesore!

Some day when you have the time Go out and tracky spot on any town or city with your female mates and count the tracksuits on the men in the areas, Look and observe! If you still have difficulties in making this very simple observation maybe I will have to take it to the extreme a video camera the evidence and post it up on this site for you to see the undeniable evidence yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I know you're not referring to all Irish men, but I still disagree it's the case for "70% - fact!" as you say. Although granted, I'm not in the habit of sizing up what everyone wears. And it's hilarious how it bothers you so much that some men wear tracksuits - I guess if you're adamant the majority do though, your imagination will tell you they do.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I can see why objectively some would see her as very pretty, but she does little for me. Though I have met her in the past in passing and she comes across as very pleasant as a person. Notably so. Either way, again we're back to personal taste.

And I don't really get the tracksuit bottoms thing. :confused: Maybe I'm living in some jasmine scented never never land, but it's damned rare I would see men in tracky bottoms. Regardless of the Irish males dress code. Fecked if I know where you're pounding the streets. As a matter of interest what do you describe as "proper clothes"?

As an aside; what's with the big font?

I would love to know what part of Ireland you are from then LOL! as far as what I can see it is in every urban area in this country.

When I am talking clothes I am talking about generic clothing to trendy clothing, various jeans cords and pances est.

Tracksuit bottoms are not clothing as their only purpose was for the gym and active sport that’s it, they ware never meant to be wore as every day clothes. Not nation bashing but der is noting that hurts the eyes more than seeing so many Irish males wearing pikey nack slacks every day for causal dress, it looks down right lazy and filthy looking seriously…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Like I say where are you seeing these men? As for "proper clothes", jeans, OK. Cords, marginal, unless you're a teacher of a certain vintage. Pants? Well if we're talking slacks then no. Just no. The clue is in the name.
    Dean Roche wrote:
    they ware never meant to be wore as every day clothes. Not nation bashing but der is noting that hurts the eyes more than seeing so many Irish males wearing pikey nack slacks
    I would say that there's nothing that hurts the eyes more than dodgy spelling and grammar. Worn, not wore. There, not der. I have seen/I saw, not I seen. Pants, not pances. See what I did there?

That's the point. Live and let live. I've not seen the mass of tracksuit accoutred men you speak ill off. At least not to that extent. Even so, if you are looking for something or the absence of something, you will find it. When I catch myself doing similar I look to me first and only then if not found wanting will I take the piss accordingly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kenny1977

bcoz we are irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

kenny1977 wrote: »
    bcoz we are irish

Where's the hand on face thing when you need it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

'Why does this thread keep rearing its ugly head?' is a more pertinent question, at this stage.

• Advertisement

Ego and insecurity. Too much of the former gives you the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

I know you're not referring to all Irish men, but I still disagree it's the case for "70% - fact!" as you say. Although granted, I'm not in the habit of sizing up what everyone wears. And it's hilarious how it bothers you so much that some men wear tracksuits - I guess if you're adamant the majority do though, your imagination will tell you they do.

I'm guessing you live close to a PE Uni or sumtin...

....I got it...you work in a gym!

Like I say where are you seeing these men? As for "proper clothes", jeans, OK. Cords, marginal, unless you're a teacher of a certain vintage. Pants? Well if we're talking slacks then no. Just no. The clue is in the name.

I would say that there's nothing that hurts the eyes more than dodgy spelling and grammar. Worn, not wore. There, not der. I have seen/I saw, not I seen. Pants, not pances. See what I did there?

That's the point. Live and let live. I've not seen the mass of tracksuit accoutred men you speak ill off. At least not to that extent. Even so, if you are looking for something or the absence of something, you will find it. When I catch myself doing similar I look to me first and only then if not found wanting will I take the piss accordingly.

Having a debate with an Irish person is just not possible is it? They will always dance around you like a whirling dervish…

Don’t be pretending to be thick; you know what I am on about, normal clothes as in various jeans, when I mentioned cords I mentioned modern trendy ones as I clearly pointed out, not the granddad ones you’re thinking of LOL. But sure then again what the hell do the Irish know about fashion when most wear tracksuit bottoms! Tracksuit bottoms are not proper clothes, they ware only meant for the gym and active sport, not daily dress like you see too often here! What makes it worse, the average Irish male looks as about as far from a fresh healthy athlete and gym user as it gets so this adds to the dismal eyesore. I should not be surprised that the Irish will always deny their faults as they deny as a group they have a much bigger problem with alcohol than any other European, but that’s another topic.

And Knack slacks are my names for tracksuit bottoms, other good names I taught up

Pauper pants, knacksuit and pikey pants, good names yeah!

I find with many Irish they seem to lack observations skills, if you don’t notice that a lot of Irish males in this country wear tracksuit bottoms for daily dress then observation is not the strongest here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

God you can get a 100 Irish men in one area and 70% of them would be in tracksuit bottoms Fact!

People can come up with statistics to prove anything. 40% of all people know that.
    I am one of the minority of Irish men that actually wears proper clothes and looks after myself.

Pics or GTFO

And Knack slacks are my names for tracksuit bottoms, other good names I taught up

Oh, this guy!
    Where does he get his material? If his fashion sense is anything like his sense of humour we're sure in for a treat!

Ego and insecurity. Too much of the former gives you the latter.

In your books people expressing real opinions and real views and just plain honesty is called ego and insecurity! LOL. For example If someone was to express their opinion on the Disproportionate amount of crime in this country from such a small Irish population would be called a insecure person with a ego yeah?

People can come up with statistics to prove anything. 40% of all people know that.

Pics or GTFO

Another one lacking in the observation department, maybe I will have to take it to the extreme and bloody video it on the streets and post it up yeah? Hows that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

Don’t be pretending to be thick; you know what I am on about, normal clothes as in various jeans, when I mentioned cords I mentioned modern trendy ones as I clearly pointed out, not the granddad ones you’re thinking of LOL.
    If you had said "most Irish men wear jeans and I think that's boring" Then we could have that debate.
    But sure then again what the hell do the Irish know about fashion when most wear tracksuit bottoms!
    This is why people are going "huh?". Maybe its a location specific thing, but most Irish men don't wear tracksuit bottoms.
    Tracksuit bottoms are not proper clothes, they ware only meant for the gym and active sport, not daily dress like you see too often here!
    I agree on the first part, not on the second.
    What makes it worse, the average Irish male looks as about as far from a fresh healthy athlete and gym user
    I agree again. We do tend to be stodgy buggers alright. Middle aged spread at 25 kinda thing. Or at least more than is healthy.
    I should not be surprised that the Irish will always deny their faults as they deny as a group they have a much bigger problem with alcohol than any other European, but that’s another topic.
    It is, but a problem alright. Certainly with binge drinking. The stat that says we spend more on drink therefore we drink more I'd debate harder though. Alcohol is expensive here which will skew the stats upwards. Plus we get a large amount of tourists in relation to our populations size. 8 million in 07, so they'll hit the stats as few enough would not have a few bevs while here. But yep we've a problem there and contrary to stereotypes of the drinking Irish, it's quite a recent thing. 20 years ago we had the lowest levels of liver disease in Europe.

Inventive enough alright.
    I find with many Irish they seem to lack observations skills, if you don’t notice that a lot of Irish males in this country wear tracksuit bottoms for daily dress then observation is not the strongest here.
    Like I said, must be a local or regional thing because I really don't see it. I'd see more women wearing sweats doing shopping etc, than I've seen men.

In your books people expressing real opinions and real views and just plain honesty is called ego and insecurity! LOL.
    I was referring to the rest of the thread more than yourself. Opinions are great. I like opinions, some semblance of facts thrown in would be nice though. Otherwise its like reading a tabloid
    For example If someone was to express their opinion on the Disproportionate amount of crime in this country from such a small Irish population would be called a insecure person with a ego yeah?
    Eh no. Why would it?:confused: I'd question them though, as again contrary to popular belief, taken as a country we're actually pretty low on the scale of crime of most kinds compared to the rest of the EU and a lot lower than most of the rest of the world. It's like the road death stats. They're tragedies and make headlines, but we've among the more safe roads in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Having a debate with an Irish person is just not possible is it? They will always dance around you like a whirling dervish…
    Who's "they"? Aren't you Irish? Oh wait, you're doing the whole "The Irish are this and that and the other... except me of course" thing. So arrogant. Yeah, having a debate with you, an Irish person, is pretty difficult all right - seeing as you're offering nothing but unsupported drivel.
    Tracksuit bottoms are not proper clothes, they ware only meant for the gym and active sport, not daily dress like you see too often here!
    Ah... it's going from "70% - fact!" to something "you see too often"...
    I find with many Irish they seem to lack observations skills
    I find that indeed to be the case all right with you, an Irish person.
    if you don’t notice that a lot of Irish males in this country wear tracksuit bottoms for daily dress then observation is not the strongest here.
    So again, it's "a lot of Irish males" as opposed to the majority - thank you. Yes, a lot of males in Ireland wear tracksuits (why oh why would you give a fuk?) but not the majority, on a constant basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I've observed that your spelling and punctuation is atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Don’t be pretending to be thick; you know what I am on about, normal clothes as in various jeans, when I mentioned cords I mentioned modern trendy ones as I clearly pointed out, not the granddad ones you’re thinking of LOL. But sure then again what the hell do the Irish know about fashion when most wear tracksuit bottoms! Tracksuit bottoms are not proper clothes, they ware only meant for the gym and active sport, not daily dress like you see too often here! What makes it worse, the average Irish male looks as about as far from a fresh healthy athlete and gym user as it gets so this adds to the dismal eyesore. I should not be surprised that the Irish will always deny their faults as they deny as a group they have a much bigger problem with alcohol than any other European, but that’s another topic.

Why do you keep typing in really, really big text ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It's all in black font too.

I love the cloud skin, I really do

He's clearly compensating for his rather small and pathetic.....shoe size.

Who's "they"? Aren't you Irish? Oh wait, you're doing the whole "The Irish are this and that and the other... except me of course" thing. So arrogant. Yeah, having a debate with you, an Irish person, is pretty difficult all right - seeing as you're offering nothing but unsupported drivel.

Ah... it's going from "70% - fact!" to something "you see too often"...

I find that indeed to be the case all right with you, an Irish person.

So again, it's "a lot of Irish males" as opposed to the majority - thank you. Yes, a lot of males in Ireland wear tracksuits (why oh why would you give a fuk?) but not the majority, on a constant basis.

I pointed that out because any time I express an honest opinion and put it into this debate the messenger gets attacked not the message.

I am only pointing out my opinions on what I observe, I have bin around many urban areas and I see a lot of people in trackside bottoms “mostly males”. This is not just confined to the lower class or the youth, its something you see of all ages and backgrounds. Some day when I have the time I will have to video camera this evidence and post it up on this board! What’s my problem with it? I think it’s down right lazy looking and filthy and reflects badly on our nation!

Maybe Irish people don’t notice this coz they live in a bubble but outsiders that come into this country do. A Swedish member on this board living in Ireland observed the tracksuit epidemic across this country, when he expressed his honest opinion on the board he was shot down by the board members, but at least 2 Irish people agreed fully with him and had enough cognition to have the ability to observe the tracksuit epidemic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055717648

We even got an Irish person that even admits tracksuit bottoms are the dominating fashion here

http://secure.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7169208500

I know I might come across as a bit harsh or a nation basher but I really do care a lot for this country and my people

If that’s your pic in the background I think you look nice by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I pointed that out because any time I express an honest opinion and put it into this debate the messenger gets attacked not the message.

I am only pointing out my opinions on what I observe, I have bin around many urban areas and I see a lot of people in trackside bottoms “mostly males”. This is not just confined to the lower class or the youth, its something you see of all ages and backgrounds. Some day when I have the time I will have to video camera this evidence and post it up on this board! What’s my problem with it? I think it’s down right lazy looking and filthy and reflects badly on our nation!

Maybe Irish people don’t notice this coz they live in a bubble but outsiders that come into this country do. A Swedish member on this board living in Ireland observed the tracksuit epidemic across this country, when he expressed his honest opinion on the board he was shot down by the board members, but at least 2 Irish people agreed fully with him and had enough cognition to have the ability to observe the tracksuit epidemic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055717648

We even got an Irish person that even admits tracksuit bottoms are the dominating fashion here

http://secure.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7169208500

I know I might come across as a bit harsh or a nation basher but I really do care a lot for this country and my people

If that’s your pic in the background I think you look nice by the way.
    Some people wear tracksuits... most don't.

What's your point?

I've never owned or worn one.

If you had said "most Irish men wear jeans and I think that's boring" Then we could have that debate. This is why people are going "huh?". Maybe its a location specific thing, but most Irish men don't wear tracksuit bottoms. I agree on the first part, not on the second. I agree again. We do tend to be stodgy buggers alright. Middle aged spread at 25 kinda thing. Or at least more than is healthy. It is, but a problem alright. Certainly with binge drinking. The stat that says we spend more on drink therefore we drink more I'd debate harder though. Alcohol is expensive here which will skew the stats upwards. Plus we get a large amount of tourists in relation to our populations size. 8 million in 07, so they'll hit the stats as few enough would not have a few bevs while here. But yep we've a problem there and contrary to stereotypes of the drinking Irish, it's quite a recent thing. 20 years ago we had the lowest levels of liver disease in Europe.

Inventive enough alright.

Like I said, must be a local or regional thing because I really don't see it. I'd see more women wearing sweats doing shopping etc, than I've seen men.

I was referring to the rest of the thread more than yourself. Opinions are great. I like opinions, some semblance of facts thrown in would be nice though. Otherwise its like reading a tabloid Eh no. Why would it?:confused: I'd question them though, as again contrary to popular belief, taken as a country we're actually pretty low on the scale of crime of most kinds compared to the rest of the EU and a lot lower than most of the rest of the world. It's like the road death stats. They're tragedies and make headlines, but we've among the more safe roads in the EU.

The Irish ware always stereotyped for drinkers, it goes back as far as the 19th century, who the hell do you think you’re kidding! And don’t give me that stereotype crap as people stereotype themselves, most so called stereotypes have a bases you know. The Irish ware always a nation of heavy drinkers, in other words alcoholics to put it more bluntly. Obviously in the twenty first century drinking is a problem in many European nations but when it comes down to the crunch other European nations have a far more mature attitude to alcohol than the Irish.

Pubs open from morning to closing time 7 days a week! Irelands drinking problem is so bad that they are bar extensions for Communion parties! That goes way beyond parody! It would only take the Irish.

Crime in Ireland is very high for its small population, noting you say will change that realty, you must member this is only an island with a small population. Ireland has a reputation for a reasonable low crime and safe country yes true, this myth is pushed down by our very own incompetent and corrupt FF government, god forbid if the truth was to get out.

German tourists ware taking in by this lie and myth obviously, when they set up camp in the phoenix park only thinking it was reasonably safe just like the parks back home in Germany, only to be violently attacked by the thugs and menace you see too often across this country.

As for the crime problem in Ireland they are actual Irish people that acknowledge and don’t live in denial and believe in the government myth that this is some how a low crime and reasonable safe country.

Read the 9 pages on this PC free discussion board on crime in Ireland, it saves me the writing

http://sadireland.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=irishpolitics&action=display&thread=358&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Why the massive font?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

brummytom wrote: »
    Why the massive font?!

It was quite nice, actually. Easier to read......

• Advertisement

I've observed that your spelling and punctuation is atrocious.

If you want to see bad spelling and grammar I suggest you look at your average Irish person’s bebo profile! that I can only describe the language as some weird sub language of gypo Ebonics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement