Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

That poll is absolute rubbish to be fair.

America coming number one is ridiculous. There's no such thing as a typical American. Are we talking African-Americans, Italian-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Asian-Americans?? etc etc

Italians are not a good looking group of people, I just don't know where this idea comes from. There's a huge amoutn of seriously over weight and ugly Italians waddling around the streets of Milan, Naples and Rome.

Same for India, Mexico, Portugal and Japan. Granted I'm generalising(which is all you can do in this sort of thread) but these countries typically have very ugly populations. They're certainly not better looking than Irish people.

And come on, the Dutch coming below us??? I find Dutch women absolutely unbelievable lookers. Your average Dutch girl is far better looking than your average Irish one in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Go for a weekend to Newcastle and you will change the thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I had a peruse of KYN there the other day and I can reassure you there are plenty of lovely ladies in Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Go for a weekend to Newcastle and you will change the thread title

truth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I think there are some stunning people in Ireland, but on the whole, I think the bad weather, bad diet and far too much alcohol take their toll. Every time I go to Spain, I just can't believe how good looking almost everyone is. Last time I was in a taxi from the airport, I was looking out of the window and 80% of people were absolutely gorgeous. I lived with a group of Spanish girls there when I did Erasmus and any of them could work as models in Ireland, yet they all considered themselves average and were completely down to earth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

America coming number one is ridiculous. There's no such thing as a typical American. Are we talking African-Americans, Italian-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Asian-Americans?? etc etc
    Agreed.
    Italians are not a good looking group of people, I just don't know where this idea comes from. There's a huge amoutn of seriously over weight and ugly Italians waddling around the streets of Milan, Naples and Rome.

Same for India, Mexico, Portugal and Japan. Granted I'm generalising(which is all you can do in this sort of thread) but these countries typically have very ugly populations. They're certainly not better looking than Irish people.
    Well it also comes down to personal taste too. Someone who like pale blondes won't see much hope in Milan.

While I defo agree with you that there are "ugly" people all over the place in any country, it's how many good looking people there are as well. IMHO and in my travels I would see more good looking men and women in somewhere like Madrid or Athens or Rome than I would in Dublin. I would agree we've less dodgy looking people, but also less good looking. Outstandingly good looking is even rarer. Our population is smaller for a start.

As for overweight people? IME Ireland is much closer to Boston than Barcelona on that score. Walk into a general clothes shop in Athens or Madrid and look at the sizes on the racks. Big difference. You see far more petite size 6 women than you ever see here.
    And come on, the Dutch coming below us??? I find Dutch women absolutely unbelievable lookers. Your average Dutch girl is far better looking than your average Irish one in my opinion.
    Agreed, but again down to personal prefs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

Looking at the image in the OP's post, I wonder, why the hell would anybody type "Why thats delightful" into Google?

Irish people are not particularly ugly, I've been to a fair few counties, and I'd say we are on a par with all of them. Pasty faced and mildly explosive in direct sunlight yes, but that doesnt make us ugly.

I do hold Iceland above and beyond the rest of the world though, every single woman there is simply stunning.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Well it also comes down to personal taste too. Someone who like pale blondes won't see much hope in Milan.

While I defo agree with you that there are "ugly" people all over the place in any country, it's how many good looking people there are as well. IMHO and in my travels I would see more good looking men and women in somewhere like Madrid or Athens or Rome than I would in Dublin. I would agree we've less dodgy looking people, but also less good looking. Outstandingly good looking is even rarer. Our population is smaller for a start.

As for overweight people? IME Ireland is much closer to Boston than Barcelona on that score. Walk into a general clothes shop in Athens or Madrid and look at the sizes on the racks. Big difference. You see far more petite size 6 women than you ever see here.

Agreed, but again down to personal prefs.

Personal preferance is the main thing in this whole thing so you're 100% right on that score. In parts of South America being a man or woman with red hair and pasty Irish skin is like being Brad Pitt or Britney Spears. I know one very average looking Irish guy who visited Peru and Colombia and he was literally swamped byt the women the moment he arrived in the airport. I think he's living there now actually...:pac:

Agree with pretty much everything you say there except possibly the overweight thing. Mediterranean people are generally much smaller height wise and weight wise than Irish and northern European people genetically leaving out the over eating part so I'm not sure clothes sizes is a good indicator. I know a girl who was a size 8 who really struggled to find clothes that fitted when she visited Madrid for example.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know a girl who was a size 8 who really struggled to find clothes that fitted when she visited Madrid for example.
    Really? Weird. Maybe things have changed, but having on more than on occasion walked around that very city following a woman clothes shopping, I'm really surprised she couldnt find a size 8. It was very noticeable that the average size with the most rack space was 8, followed by 6 and 10, then 4 :eek: and 12. Nothing above 14 and 14's were thin on the ground. I actually put the talk on one assistant in one big store and asked her did they stock 16/18 and was told a bit sniffily that was for specialty shops. This would be in the equivalent of a fancier Dunnes. Look at an Irish womens clothes rack and 16 is more the average with a smattering of 20+. Had similar with a mate of mine in Athens when she was buying clothes. She's a size 12 and again her choices were limited and she was joking about how it made her feel like a fat bitch :D(she isnt).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

haha... ugly Irish people... with bad accents to boot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Simple answer-Irish are quite fat and unhealthy looking overall due to excess Drinking and very poor diet and smoking which also makes the skin look like shiit too, Thast why the eastern European women look so well, barely drink and eat healthy and also get to the gym now and again also!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

I've got a great idea.

I'll put into law when I come to power that fit females the world over will be allowed free and unrestricted entry into Ireland for breeding purposes..

Brazilians, Argentinians, blond South Africans, Ozzies, Japs, Ruskies, Swedes etc all here for sex. There's not one male who would not vote for me...my plan is deviously brilliant!!!

Then the next generation will worship my shrine in the centre of O'Connell Street everyday while on their knees thanking me for such a wonderful array of beautiful Irish women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

blond South Africans,

racist ban!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamchops

Kanye wrote: »
    107449.JPG

(^^^If you type "why" into google.ie. For some reason, typing "why" then space this question moves up one.)

I was having a conversation with a stunning girl from Cork (i.e. not really Ireland) about why people from Ireland are ugly. The conversation originated from a Romanian (i.e. not Roma) taxi driver with extensive knowledge.

I'm ruddy-faced, hairy and pale but still incredibly beautiful by international standards. So, what's the story?

maybe your granny was over here breeding like a rabbit and thats why you have ugly ***** everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

racist ban!

lulz. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Ireland on average aren't the best looking people in the world but I think that our personality more then makes up for it.

If you take Scandinavians for example, there is a very high percentage of stunningly beautiful people in counties up there but they are usually very odd with cold personalities and a dry sense of humour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Raekwon wrote: »
    Ireland on average aren't the best looking people in the world but I think that our personality more then makes up for it.

If you take Scandinavians for example, there is a very high percentage of stunningly beautiful people in counties up there but they are usually very odd with cold personalities and a dry sense of humour.

No, I don't believe this for a second, rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I honestly don't think that we are a bad looking bunch of people.

Would think that if you went to America and compared each Irish person to each American, we would probably be a grand looking bunch.
    We are generally quite fit and healthy, while 66% of Americans are overweight and 33% are obese.

Would think those numbers are much,much, much lower here.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Really? Weird. Maybe things have changed, but having on more than on occasion walked around that very city following a woman clothes shopping, I'm really surprised she couldnt find a size 8. It was very noticeable that the average size with the most rack space was 8, followed by 6 and 10, then 4 :eek: and 12. Nothing above 14 and 14's were thin on the ground. I actually put the talk on one assistant in one big store and asked her did they stock 16/18 and was told a bit sniffily that was for specialty shops. This would be in the equivalent of a fancier Dunnes. Look at an Irish womens clothes rack and 16 is more the average with a smattering of 20+. Had similar with a mate of mine in Athens when she was buying clothes. She's a size 12 and again her choices were limited and she was joking about how it made her feel like a fat bitch :D(she isnt).

Yeah it was seriously weird, maybe she just had an odd taste in clothes :confused: made her feel awful about herself and shes as skinny as they come :pac:. I do know buying clothes as a man in Spain could be quite awkward. I'm a runner so I'm pretty skinny but even I was taking extra large sizes in all the shops I went into...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 martaphal

Would think that if you went to America and compared each Irish person to each American, we would probably be a grand looking bunch.
    We are generally quite fit and healthy, while 66% of Americans are overweight and 33% are obese.

right, now we all get together in a think tank and discuss, whose descendants most of the americans are...

• Advertisement

True but their ancestors weren't fat. Look at a photo of a group of average Americans 50 years ago and you wont see too many large people. It aint genetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

Maybe we are really goodlooking and the rest of the world is ugly and then they all (rest of world) pretend that ugly is really beautiful so we would then look ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

We aren't exotic, we tend to let ourselves go a bit as we age, we don't care! You could have two very good looking parents and the child might not turn out so cute or two not so good looking parents and have gorgeous looking children can go vice versa too.

Isn't beauty at the eye of the beholder and within with inner beauty???
    I myself wouldn't go for a drop dead goregous hunk cause I know he is just hung up on his looks, he is vain and a bit dumb and arrogant in comparison to a lad who is above average looking has a decent personaility, intelligence and sense of humour. A guy doesn't necessarily need to be brad pit or a johnny depp look a like to float my boat a normal reasonable looking lad from a soap opera would do me fine not that I'd go for someone who looks like a crack pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

The English killed all our pretty folk.

No..... They had sex with them & consequently we became prettier & more intelligent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Folks, would you like to know what a foreigner thinks? I know a nice scandinavian girl. Typical with blue eyes blond hair etc. She said she can tell Irish girls apart from others because Irish girls are prettier than most.

So why all the negativity on this thread? Well, theres positive and negative people. Positive people will noticed positive things and negative people will notice negative things. So looking at alot of posts on this thread I know what company I'd like to avoid! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭stbrennan

After generations of binge drinking and Craic you're hardly gonna be Brad Pitt now are ya?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

profitius wrote: »
    Folks, would you like to know what a foreigner thinks? I know a nice scandinavian girl. Typical with blue eyes blond hair etc. She said she can tell Irish girls apart from others because Irish girls are prettier than most.

So why all the negativity on this thread? Well, theres positive and negative people. Positive people will noticed positive things and negative people will notice negative things. So looking at alot of posts on this thread I know what company I'd like to avoid! ;)

There you go then.. a blondie from far away says Irish girls are prettier.... :rolleyes:

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I honestly don't think that we are a bad looking bunch of people.

Would think those numbers are much,much, much lower here.

Obesity has massive regional variations in the United States as well-its ridiculous to lump all Americans together. Obesity is far, far more prevalent amongst African-Americans and Mexican-Americans than it is amongst Americans of European descent which flaws the results slightly.

California, Colarado, New York, Oregon, New Hampshire etc etc have lower percentages of overweight and obese people per capita than France, Italy, Germany or indeed Ireland apparently. Compare a walk around the streets of San Francisco to Dublin and you'll find far more overweight people in the latter for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Inbreeding is clearly to blame. Too many left or died during famine and cousins were married and in small communities that's gonna cause problems..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Obesity has massive regional variations in the United States as well-its ridiculous to lump all Americans together. Obesity is far, far more prevalent amongst African-Americans and Mexican-Americans than it is amongst Americans of European descent which flaws the results slightly.

California, Colarado, New York, Oregon, New Hampshire etc etc have lower percentages of overweight and obese people per capita than France, Italy, Germany or indeed Ireland apparently. Compare a walk around the streets of San Francisco to Dublin and you'll find far more overweight people in the latter for example.

That's pretty interesting. I've always gone over to America looking for the supposed Fat people. Florida and parts of New York state did have plenty of them. The cities not so much. I actually only saw a handful of overweight people in California.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement