Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dean Roche wrote: »
    The Irish ware always stereotyped for drinkers, it goes back as far as the 19th century, who the hell do you think you’re kidding!
    Calm yourself. There is stereotype, opinion and fact. All too often they don't concur. Until quite recently the fact is nations like the French drank more alcohol over the course of a year than the Irish. Hence our previously low rate of liver disease. The lowest in Europe. Between 1990 and 2000 the rates went up by over 100%. So yes we now have a well deserved reputation for alcohol abuse. This was not always the case as I made clear.
    And don’t give me that stereotype crap as people stereotype themselves, most so called stereotypes have a bases you know.
    Oh God.
    The Irish ware always a nation of heavy drinkers, in other words alcoholics to put it more bluntly.
    You're simply wrong.
    Pubs open from morning to closing time 7 days a week!
    So, they're open for longer in other EU countries. They used to be open longer here and like I said the drinking culture has gotten worse not better.
    Crime in Ireland is very high for its small population, noting you say will change that realty, you must member this is only an island with a small population.
    The stats will as they are always adjusted for population. You need to read more, you really do.
    Ireland has a reputation for a reasonable low crime and safe country yes true, this myth is pushed down by our very own incompetent and corrupt FF government, god forbid if the truth was to get out.
    What truth? Links please.
    Read the 9 pages on this PC free discussion board on crime in Ireland, it saves me the writing
    http://sadireland.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=irishpolitics&action=display&thread=358&page=1
    I did and like what is increasingly the case in this country it opened with a non verified opinion masquerading as a fact. Sad ireland is well named on that score. Conspiracy Ireland would be a better moniker. Sadly that guff is creeping into this site more and more. The words "PC free" are usually a red flag for tin foil hatters. More often than not anyway.

I ask the same of your positions on what the majority of Irish men wear, alcohol abuse and its causes and crime rates. Where are the verifiable independent links to research that proves your/their point? Oh right there are none.
    If you want to see bad spelling and grammar I suggest you look at your average Irish person’s bebo profile! that I can only describe the language as some weird sub language of gypo Ebonics.
    It doesnt negate his point though. I have no issue with dyslexics. We've a few on here, but laziness is quite another thing. So maybe physician heal thyself?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I pointed that out because any time I express an honest opinion and put it into this debate the messenger gets attacked not the message.
    You'll find though, if a person can actually back up that honest opinion, they won't get attacked.
    I am only pointing out my opinions on what I observe, I have bin around many urban areas and I see a lot of people in trackside bottoms “mostly males”.
    It can't be your opinion that this is so prevalent - it either is or it isn't prevalent. And you're now saying "A lot of people in tracksuit bottoms" so you're lowering the bar.
    Maybe Irish people don’t notice this coz they live in a bubble but outsiders that come into this country do. A Swedish member on this board living in Ireland observed the tracksuit epidemic across this country, when he expressed his honest opinion on the board he was shot down by the board members, but at least 2 Irish people agreed fully with him and had enough cognition to have the ability to observe the tracksuit epidemic.
    SLUSK used to post deliberately inflammatory stuff to rile and insult people, in other words he was a troll - one who got a lot of chances too before he was site-banned.
    And at least two Irish people on an Irish message board - not exactly overwhelming support. There are of course some people who wear tracksuits here outside of sporting activities, nobody's denying that (they don't look great, but they're comfortable - surely that's good enough reason to wear them? Does everyone have to be dressed to impress to go to the shop for milk and Cornflakes?) but some people wearing tracksuits doesn't make it the majority or even very commonplace at all. Obviously it's something you're looking out for, and it offends your eyes, so therefore you'll possibly believe it to be more regular a sight than it actually is.
    We even got an Irish person that even admits tracksuit bottoms are the dominating fashion here
    Ah c'mon now - one person... :)
    If that’s your pic in the background I think you look nice by the way.
    It's not me, it's an actress. :)
    I agree with you drinking is a very dominant culture in Ireland though - it's not difficult to spot examples supporting this.
    Crime in Ireland is very high for its small population, noting you say will change that realty, you must member this is only an island with a small population. Ireland has a reputation for a reasonable low crime and safe country yes true, this myth is pushed down by our very own incompetent and corrupt FF government, god forbid if the truth was to get out.
    It's not a myth - Ireland is extremely safe. Some people just like to blow things out of proportion because they love drama. Of course there are incidents but they do not make Ireland as a whole unsafe. I've never been a victim of significant crime (attempted mugging twice where there was no violence involved), neither have my friends or family members. When anyone IS a victim of an attack, it is a huge ordeal and something you'd rarely hear happening.
    A lot of people like to big up what a society gone to hell Ireland is - maybe they enjoy it, I don't know. But if you actually sit back and think for a moment, you'll realise your life is relatively undisturbed by all this apparent depravity.
    If you want to see bad spelling and grammar I suggest you look at your average Irish person’s bebo profile!
    The average Bebo user was a kid, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dean Roche

Wibbs wrote: »
    Calm yourself. There is stereotype, opinion and fact. All too often they don't concur. Until quite recently the fact is nations like the French drank more alcohol over the course of a year than the Irish. Hence our previously low rate of liver disease. The lowest in Europe. Between 1990 and 2000 the rates went up by over 100%. So yes we now have a well deserved reputation for alcohol abuse. This was not always the case as I made clear. Oh God. You're simply wrong.
    So, they're open for longer in other EU countries. They used to be open longer here and like I said the drinking culture has gotten worse not better.

The stats will as they are always adjusted for population. You need to read more, you really do. What truth? Links please.

I did and like what is increasingly the case in this country it opened with a non verified opinion masquerading as a fact. Sad ireland is well named on that score. Conspiracy Ireland would be a better moniker. Sadly that guff is creeping into this site more and more. The words "PC free" are usually a red flag for tin foil hatters. More often than not anyway.

I ask the same of your positions on what the majority of Irish men wear, alcohol abuse and its causes and crime rates. Where are the verifiable independent links to research that proves your/their point? Oh right there are none.

It doesnt negate his point though. I have no issue with dyslexics. We've a few on here, but laziness is quite another thing. So maybe physician heal thyself?

You have every right to believe in the myth that this is a relatively low crime country but I will stand my ground

Yes you are right they are no true stats on crime in this country as most of it’s covered up, I have all ready pointed that out to you didn’t I? How could you expect stats from an incompetent corrupt ruling class that don’t even provide a proper health service and other public’s services? They bloody can’t even run a country right for god sake! They are parts of this country that they don’t even provide bus stops and shelters! So don’t expect accurate or true stats on crime in Ireland

The Irish have a dreadful alcoholic problem and noting you say will ever change that fact; all you have to do is look around! You can deny this all you won’t but for you to deny it is just like denying the sun. As I pointed out what race of people has bar extensions for Holy Communion parties? None that’s what”! Only the Irish. In most towns and cities in Ireland the pubs are open all day and every day,you are even stupid enough to deny that , as I said I will have to video the evidence myself but you will still deny it despite the proof in your face.

We've a few on here, but laziness is quite another thing. So maybe physician heal thyself?[/QUOTE]

And you have the nerve to call me lazy! I writ more lines than anybody else on the pages, not like you would notice anyway, just like you don’t notice a lot of other things.

Dudess wrote: »
    You'll find though, if a person can actually back up that honest opinion, they won't get attacked.

It can't be your opinion that this is so prevalent - it either is or it isn't prevalent. And you're now saying "A lot of people in tracksuit bottoms" so you're lowering the bar.

SLUSK used to post deliberately inflammatory stuff to rile and insult people, in other words he was a troll - one who got a lot of chances too before he was site-banned.
    And at least two Irish people on an Irish message board - not exactly overwhelming support. There are of course some people who wear tracksuits here outside of sporting activities, nobody's denying that (they don't look great, but they're comfortable - surely that's good enough reason to wear them? Does everyone have to be dressed to impress to go to the shop for milk and Cornflakes?) but some people wearing tracksuits doesn't make it the majority or even very commonplace at all. Obviously it's something you're looking out for, and it offends your eyes, so therefore you'll possibly believe it to be more regular a sight than it actually is.

Ah c'mon now - one person... :)

It's not me, it's an actress. :)
    I agree with you drinking is a very dominant culture in Ireland though - it's not difficult to spot examples supporting this.

It's not a myth - Ireland is extremely safe. Some people just like to blow things out of proportion because they love drama. Of course there are incidents but they do not make Ireland as a whole unsafe. I've never been a victim of significant crime (attempted mugging twice where there was no violence involved), neither have my friends or family members. When anyone IS a victim of an attack, it is a huge ordeal and something you'd rarely hear happening.
    A lot of people like to big up what a society gone to hell Ireland is - maybe they enjoy it, I don't know. But if you actually sit back and think for a moment, you'll realise your life is relatively undisturbed by all this apparent depravity.

The average Bebo user was a kid, in fairness.

You seem like a nice person and I don’t want to sound so rude and seem like a nation basher, I really love my country and want to see this nation get better and better. They are faults in this country that need to fixed big time! Sometimes negative views and faults need to be pointed out no matter how harsh they sound, if only Irish politics take such negativity seriously they would solve a lot of our problems. A step in the right direction is to not vote for FF, they ware in power for far too long and have done this country a lot of damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You have every right to believe in the myth that this is a relatively low crime country but I will stand my ground
    It seems so.
    Yes you are right they are no true stats on crime in this country as most of it’s covered up, I have all ready pointed that out to you didn’t I?
    Tinfoil hats ahoy.
    How could you expect stats from an incompetent corrupt ruling class that don’t even provide a proper health service and other public’s services? They bloody can’t even run a country right for god sake! They are parts of this country that they don’t even provide bus stops and shelters! So don’t expect accurate or true stats on crime in Ireland
    I'm not looking to the government for these stats. And I agree they're fcukwits to a man and woman(on most sides of the Dail) I'm looking to separate bodies, some of whom would only love to make the stats worse. The Guards for example. Higher crime levels = more funding. Which they badly need anyway, so why do their stats, of people at the shaper end of crime not show we're swamped under a crime wave?

The Irish have a dreadful alcoholic problem and noting you say will ever change that fact; all you have to do is look around! You can deny this all you won’t but for you to deny it is just like denying the sun.
    Well an Irishman can deny the sun with some level of confidence :D. Try reading what I said. I said the stereotype of the alcoholic Irish was just that, a stereotype, not based in hard facts. I have agreed with you that now we're living up to it, but not in the past.
    As I pointed out what race of people has bar extensions for Holy Communion parties? None that’s what”! Only the Irish.
    :rolleyes: Ehhh do you know why? Because in other countries it would be accepted that a bar would be available, no extension would be required. It's because of our more recent and stupid methods of dealing with the problem by restricting access(which hasn't worked) people have to ask for extensions. To take your communion example. In Catholic countries where such a tradition takes place, there would simply be no issue about having wine or beer at the after party. Hey we do have a drink problem at the moment, but you're looking for "evidence" where none exists.
    In most towns and cities in Ireland the pubs are open all day and every day,you are even stupid enough to deny that , as I said I will have to video the evidence myself but you will still deny it despite the proof in your face.
    OK lets play join the dots... Go to Spain or Portugal or most places in the EU and guess what? You can get an alcoholic drink pretty much around the clock. Shít in some places they have vending machines with beer in them. Compare this to Ireland. After 10 pm good luck with an off licence. The pubs shut at 12.30 and clubs at 2(IIRC). Now I'm old enough to remember that 25 years ago, offies were rare enough, garages and your local shop did not sell wine and beer and clubs stayed open until the early hours. Yet today with more restrictions, there are more drunkards. I would respectfully suggest you travel more around Europe and look back and ask what's happened in the intervening years.
    And you have the nerve to call me lazy! I writ more lines than anybody else on the pages, not like you would notice anyway, just like you don’t notice a lot of other things.
    Seriously Sir, I am so not the guy you want to be leveling the accusation of not writing more. I'm the most verbose fcuker on the site.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You seem like a nice person and I don’t want to sound so rude and seem like a nation basher, I really love my country and want to see this nation get better and better. They are faults in this country that need to fixed big time! Sometimes negative views and faults need to be pointed out no matter how harsh they sound, if only Irish politics take such negativity seriously they would solve a lot of our problems. A step in the right direction is to not vote for FF, they ware in power for far too long and have done this country a lot of damage.
    I'm not for a second condemning criticism of a government or aspects of a society, but in my opinion, you're focusing on the wrong things: tracksuits and a non existent extremely serious crime culture that's making everyone's daily life miserable. There is of course crime and violence, and there are certain pockets that it's concentrated in, but Ireland in general is extremely safe. I know these are extremes, but South Africa, Brazil, Haiti - those are your examples of unsafe.

I'd be more concerned about the state of the health service, the economy obviously, and certain public services/infrastructure, than tracksuits tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Eh am I the only one who hasn't got a clue what Dean Roche is talking about anymore :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

so we can mistake average for "extremely good looking"

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    It seems so.

Tinfoil hats ahoy. I'm not looking to the government for these stats. And I agree they're fcukwits to a man and woman(on most sides of the Dail) I'm looking to separate bodies, some of whom would only love to make the stats worse. The Guards for example. Higher crime levels = more funding. Which they badly need anyway, so why do their stats, of people at the shaper end of crime not show we're swamped under a crime wave?

Well an Irishman can deny the sun with some level of confidence :D. Try reading what I said. I said the stereotype of the alcoholic Irish was just that, a stereotype, not based in hard facts. I have agreed with you that now we're living up to it, but not in the past. :rolleyes: Ehhh do you know why? Because in other countries it would be accepted that a bar would be available, no extension would be required. It's because of our more recent and stupid methods of dealing with the problem by restricting access(which hasn't worked) people have to ask for extensions. To take your communion example. In Catholic countries where such a tradition takes place, there would simply be no issue about having wine or beer at the after party. Hey we do have a drink problem at the moment, but you're looking for "evidence" where none exists. OK lets play join the dots... Go to Spain or Portugal or most places in the EU and guess what? You can get an alcoholic drink pretty much around the clock. Shít in some places they have vending machines with beer in them. Compare this to Ireland. After 10 pm good luck with an off licence. The pubs shut at 12.30 and clubs at 2(IIRC). Now I'm old enough to remember that 25 years ago, offies were rare enough, garages and your local shop did not sell wine and beer and clubs stayed open until the early hours. Yet today with more restrictions, there are more drunkards. I would respectfully suggest you travel more around Europe and look back and ask what's happened in the intervening years.

Seriously Sir, I am so not the guy you want to be leveling the accusation of not writing more. I'm the most verbose fcuker on the site.

http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/home.aspx?loc=H

That’s one of the biggest reasons why the guards do want the funding and powers for the simple reasons crime is very high! I would hate to be a guard in this country, lack of law and order, lack of policing powers and funding and soft liberal laws are the biggest factors to the crime wave.

I have travelled to a lot of European countries and lived in a few and I never seen alcohol abused the way it is abused in Ireland. Many pubs in Ireland are open from morning to night 7 days a week, as I said before in the 21st century they are a drinking culture but other European nations have a far more mature attitude to alcohol than the Irish overall . People from other European countries like their few drinks on the weekend but with Irish it is 7 days a week, it don’t stop.

I am now living in wexford town and on the main street tonight the pubs are open along with the off licences! Was a whole weekend of drinking p*ssing and vomiting not enough!?

You also have to remember in many countries around the world they are Irish bars for the Irish on the travel, you can find them all over the US Britain and mainland Europe! They are no Dutch bars, no polish bars, no British bars, no Spanish bars, no Danish bars, no Swedish bars, no Italian bars, it only takes the Irish to have Irish bars… it don’t take a genius to come up with a conclusion that Irish culture is based around alcohol..

More denial of crime in Ireland, crime is noticeable very high for its small population, they are much worse parts of the world but that doesn’t take away the fact they are a fairly serious crime problem and law and order issue across Ireland, Dublin and limerick in particular, what makes this shameful that this is only a island with just over 4 million natives. Low crime is on this island is a myth.

And don’t give me that original foil hat ahoy crap, you don’t even no the meaning of political correctness. After all PC does suppress free speech something that works in favour of people like you.

Ireland is also a corrupt retrograde and very badly ran country when compared to the UK and other western European nations. I suppose you deny that also? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Alcohol.

Makes us have babies with people we otherwise wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/home.aspx?loc=H

That’s one of the biggest reasons why the guards do want the funding and powers for the simple reasons crime is very high! I would hate to be a guard in this country, lack of law and order, lack of policing powers and funding and soft liberal laws are the biggest factors to the crime wave.

I have travelled to a lot of European countries and lived in a few and I never seen alcohol abused the way it is abused in Ireland. Many pubs in Ireland are open from morning to night 7 days a week, as I said before in the 21st century they are a drinking culture but other European nations have a far more mature attitude to alcohol than the Irish overall . People from other European countries like their few drinks on the weekend but with Irish it is 7 days a week, it don’t stop.

I am now living in wexford town and on the main street tonight the pubs are open along with the off licences! Was a whole weekend of drinking p*ssing and vomiting not enough!?

You also have to remember in many countries around the world they are Irish bars for the Irish on the travel, you can find them all over the US Britain and mainland Europe! They are no Dutch bars, no polish bars, no British bars, no Spanish bars, no Danish bars, no Swedish bars, no Italian bars, it only takes the Irish to have Irish bars… it don’t take a genius to come up with a conclusion that Irish culture is based around alcohol..

More denial of crime in Ireland, crime is noticeable very high for its small population, they are much worse parts of the world but that doesn’t take away the fact they are a fairly serious crime problem and law and order issue across Ireland, Dublin and limerick in particular, what makes this shameful that this is only a island with just over 4 million natives. Low crime is on this island is a myth.

And don’t give me that original foil hat ahoy crap, you don’t even no the meaning of political correctness. After all PC does suppress free speech something that works in favour of people like you.

Ireland is also a corrupt retrograde and very badly ran country when compared to the UK and other western European nations. I suppose you deny that also? LOL

You obviously haven't been outside of Ireland if you think politicians are saints in other countries. Where are these havens in Western Europe of which you speak?

What's all of that got to do with Irish people being ugly?

And I'm Irish and by no means ugly... I wear tracksuit bottoms from time to time because I'm sporty and they're comfortable. I enjoy the odd pint. I'm not harming anyone or getting in their face so it shouldn't matter a **** to anyone but me.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Phobious

Id say it could be a bad case of us always getting drunk thus making ugly girls more appealing and BAM, ugly children!

In a sober world where everyone was of sound mind and body when choosing a partner to procreate with the trolls would die off!

Eh don't see the relevance of the link?
    Missing my point again. If crime is so high here why aren't the Garda themselves showing this in the crime figures?
    I have travelled to a lot of European countries and lived in a few and I never seen alcohol abused the way it is abused in Ireland. Many pubs in Ireland are open from morning to night 7 days a week,
    And as I said they're open for longer hours in most EU countries.
    as I said before in the 21st century they are a drinking culture but other European nations have a far more mature attitude to alcohol than the Irish overall . People from other European countries like their few drinks on the weekend but with Irish it is 7 days a week, it don’t stop.
    Again being simplistic. Indeed I would say that more europeans would drink small amounts daily, whereas the Irish are bingers.
    Of course they're open. Look lets make this simple; the availability of alcohol is not the problem in this country. Alcohol is more available in other countries. Basically you're guilty of the same simplistic thinking as the government you so detest. Hence alcohol is less available now than 5 years ago(shorter opening times for pubs and offies), yet the problem remains.
    Then your claims of traveling extensively are overblown or you're guilty of the same lack of observational skills you are quick to find in others. The inclusion of British bars in your list, is alone grounds for suggesting that.
    Yet when asked for links to stats to show this you link to another set of opinions, not facts. Like I said that's tabloid thinking and its way too prevalent for comfort these days.
    Of course I know the meaning of political correctness in all its forms. Adding that I would be "PC" along with me not writing much is ironic indeed.
    is also a corrupt retrograde and very badly ran country when compared to the UK and other western European nations. I suppose you deny that also? LOL
    Is there corruption in Ireland? Yes of course. No nation is free of it. Are others as bad? Yep. Some are worse and some are better, but we are by no means the worst by any stretch. In Italy it's a national sport, there have been all sorts of scandals in Spain, to name but two. If anything I'd say we're not very good at it.

And again what is it with the affectation of the coloured fonts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

If that’s your pic in the background I think you look nice by the way.

Slimy!

Maybe some Irish people are ugly because the ugliness on the inside is leaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

THis thread: tl:dr

I don't think Irish people are any uglier than any other population. I think Irish people really like to moan and whinge though, maybe that's why they appear as ugly?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

curlzy wrote: »
    THis thread: tl:dr

I don't think Irish people are any uglier than any other population. I think Irish people really like to moan and whinge though, maybe that's why they appear as ugly?

There are some lovely mollies on KYN!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A Polish girl at work today announced to us that she thinks all Irish girls are, and I quote "ugly and huge". Whilst making a huugggge gesture with her hands. Haha, bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

because we all drink way too much and end up in a permanent state of being Slit eyed and sh!tty!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Lia_lia wrote: »
    A Polish girl at work today announced to us that she thinks all Irish girls are, and I quote "ugly and huge". Whilst making a huugggge gesture with her hands. Haha, bitch.
    She's right though...

It's the 'swan diet' that keeps them thin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Max Hunter

Pack of dogs! However very easy to pull.:cool:

She's right though...

Eh. Bit harsh though seeing as there were 3 Irish girls standing there when she said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Years of constant inbreeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Eh. Bit harsh though seeing as there were 3 Irish girls standing there when she said it!

Is she a stunner? Or one of those Polish girls that must feel really out of place when they go home?

Yeah she's a stunner alright. And she's actually a really nice person. Well apart from insulting our women!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Is she a stunner? Or one of those Polish girls that must feel really out of place when they go home?

There's a Polish girl working here (I'm sure she's a nice girl) but you wouldn't get up on her to hang wallpaper (she's a big 'unit' too) so in your face Polish girl who slagged off our women, 1-0 to the Paddies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Not harsh at all, its true.

• Advertisement

Still a bit harsh!

And don't get me started on the Latvian girl at work that told me I was fat and needed to go on a diet. And came in the next day with a DIET PLAN for me. argh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement