Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bipolar Disorder ask a question/discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What are you listening to?

Beethoven, Mozart, Bartók, Dvorak mostly.

Actually I'm pretty obsessed with this at the moment:

It makes perfect sense to me in this state, it all seems so logical and sensible. :D

The world is moving far, far too slowly for me right now. See the incessant posting as an example of my boredom and efforts to relieve it. I hate this part of the highs, it was very pleasant until a half hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

nesf wrote: »
    The world is moving far, far too slowly for me right now. See the incessant posting as an example of my boredom and efforts to relieve it. I hate this part of the highs, it was very pleasant until a half hour ago.

I had significant difficultly in sleeping myself last night. Whilst I was up thinking what how you where getting on, I know myself I'm messed up without sleep,the only exception seems to be when I'm on an endurance race etc, or maybe I'm too busy to notice it then. Anyway hope things pick up for up during the day.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I had significant difficultly in sleeping myself last night. Whilst I was up thinking what how you where getting on, I know myself I'm messed up without sleep,the only exception seems to be when I'm on an endurance race etc, or maybe I'm too busy to notice it then. Anyway hope things pick up for up during the day.

The meds got me 5 hours of sleep so not too bad overall. Still high this morning but not as bad yet. When the sedatives wear off it might be a different story though.

• Advertisement

You need to be very careful with the sedatives etc as you become immune or addicted very easy!
    Whatever you do don't drink any red bull or other energy drinks like i used to do when inpa mixed mood phase. You really go through the roof.

You need to be very careful with the sedatives etc as you become immune or addicted very easy!
    Whatever you do don't drink any red bull or other energy drinks like i used to do when inpa mixed mood phase. You really go through the roof.

Yeah, I've only been prescribed the sedatives short term for the duration of the episode. My psychiatrist feels that the risk of me getting no sleep and going into a full blown mania outweighs the risk of becoming tolerant or worse to the sedatives and I'd agree with her.

I never touch energy drinks. Green tea and the odd Coke is about as bad as I get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irishbipolar

Headhog wrote: »
    Does any of this behaviour sound familiar to anyone? I think i may have type 2 bipolar i dont recall obvious manic episodes, just mostly cyclic episodes of very severe depression that doenst respond anymore to any tablets. I have to go to the GP about this im scared of what might happen. What if they tell me im psychotic or schizophrenic?

Headhog,

Sorry to hear about your problem and I hope you manage to sort it out quickly.

I don't know if you have bipolar. As you mentioned, I think get to your GP ASAP. Your GP will direct you in the right way. Maybe your GP could start you on a new course of medications that they could monitor.

I have BP a number of years and over that time I have been in hospital a few times. A hospital stay is sometimes needed to get the meds right and to get top-class care - from your doctor, nurses and thru therapy. I am not suggesting you will have to go to hospital but all I am saying is that there is the very best of help out there. First port of call is your GP. Take it from there.

I really hope everything gets sorted for you. Take care.

Headhog, don't self diagnose, talk to a doctor as soon as possible. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

headhog, I've deleted your posts. as is site policy, please don't look for medical advice here. we can't diagnose you. you should speak to your gp about your concerns.

• Advertisement

Some mood music to go along with how I feel:

Life is so boring when you are in a depressive phase and wake at 5am with nothing to do. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

@nesf, that's when i finally fell asleep, had left tv and internet alone hours previously, chillout music on, lights off, but the million hula hoops in my head would not stop spinning about.

Slightly OT but do you listen to any Elgar?

Yeah, I enjoy Elgar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

nesf wrote: »
    Life is so boring when you are in a depressive phase and wake at 5am with nothing to do. :(
    When I was feeling really low I used to watch tv shows to have something to distract me. Maybe you could pick up a boxset of something and have it there to watch when you need something to do? Check out the recommendations sticky in the TV forum and see what looks interesting :)

When I was feeling really low I used to watch tv shows to have something to distract me. Maybe you could pick up a boxset of something and have it there to watch when you need something to do? Check out the recommendations sticky in the TV forum and see what looks interesting :)

Usually don't have the concentration/am too agitated to sit down that long.

In an unpleasant high now. It feels like there are things crawling under my skin with the amount of nervous energy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Oh sorry, I should have thought that through before I posted :o Hope things take a turn for the better soon nesf.

Oh sorry, I should have thought that through before I posted :o Hope things take a turn for the better soon nesf.

No worries, everyone's experiences of highs and lows are different, what works for one of us is a no-goer for the next person. :)

I spent today in an awful funk. Sick, sleeping all the time, mood depressed. Now mood is picking up past "normal" and music is starting to sound wonderful again. Around and around we go on this merry-go-round...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

What meds are you on nesf?

I know a bipolar woman. She doesn't suffer really from lows, just highs and she has to control them.

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »
    What meds are you on nesf?

I know a bipolar woman. She doesn't suffer really from lows, just highs and she has to control them.

Trileptal, Abilify, Zopiclone, Rivatril.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Effin argh, after trying to keep calm all day now i'm very agitated and have to try sleep. I'm trying to do what i'm told but it just won't happen of course i have serious **** to do in the morning. (sorry for the rant)

Grem

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irishbipolar

At the start of the year I was doing well - so well I thought I had cracked it! Stupid me. The last 2 months I have started to struggle again. Lots of ruminating.

Not suppose to see my doctor till August. Feeling so bad, I met him yesterday. Not looking too good. Pumped my seroquel back up to its highest level. Appointment to see him again in 3 weeks. If that doesn't work, on to another new med and another hospital stay. Great.

Its a tough business.

At the start of the year I was doing well - so well I thought I had cracked it! Stupid me. The last 2 months I have started to struggle again. Lots of ruminating.

Not suppose to see my doctor till August. Feeling so bad, I met him yesterday. Not looking too good. Pumped my seroquel back up to its highest level. Appointment to see him again in 3 weeks. If that doesn't work, on to another new med and another hospital stay. Great.

Its a tough business.

Yeah, I missed a call today, I've got to ring and make another appointment with my doctor very soon for review of me and my meds. Hoping to avoid hospital if at all possible at the moment. Not that hospital is bad, it's just that I'd like to beat this episode at home if possible, it'd be a great confidence boost.

How long has this episode been going on and how long have your episodes normally lasted. Mine can be anything from a few weeks to a few months. Currently rapid cycling but not too extreme so trying to ride it out. Family don't know what's going on as I could spend half the day in bed or walking the dog like crazy in the park at 3am. Something as simple as a song i hear can cause me to jump from a high to suddenly crashing into feeling everything is a disaster and hopelessness.

How long has this episode been going on and how long have your episodes normally lasted. Mine can be anything from a few weeks to a few months. Currently rapid cycling but not too extreme so trying to ride it out. Family don't know what's going on as I could spend half the day in bed or walking the dog like crazy in the park at 3am. Something as simple as a song i hear can cause me to jump from a high to suddenly crashing into feeling everything is a disaster and hopelessness.

The mixed state? About 3 weeks, maybe 4. Before that was a short depression, before that a month long hypomania, before that a month long depression, before that a hypomania before that a longer depression and so on.

My last episode like this was not medicated and lasted about 9 months. I've no idea what to expect this time around.

15mg Zopiclone = 2 hours sleep. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

hi all how is everyone have not been on in a while just out from the phys hospital after a week in there got my meds changed and feeling good at the moment hope everyone is doing ok

pejay wrote: »
    hi all how is everyone have not been on in a while just out from the phys hospital after a week in there got my meds changed and feeling good at the moment hope everyone is doing ok

Sick physically. Running a fever of 39.4 at the moment. :(

I'm glad to hear your med change went smoothly.

• Advertisement

This fever is pushing my mood ever higher. I'm starting to feel like I'm losing control. :/

Advertisement