Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Drying up now in cork, which is the best thing could happen to keep our lying snow in tact.
    If the sky clears it could easily freeze.

It's a pity the cold spell is ending for us weather fans, but hey it could return in a week or so, who knows
    It's already been a remarkable Winter and it's still early Jan
    Usually we dont see any snow until well into Feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

What are the roads like in town alpha beta. Not sure about travelling to work tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

kenmc wrote: »
    feckin raining here in D14 too. stupid goddamn country this, can't even organise a bloody snowfest properly. Seriously think it's time to sell the country to Germany - proper beer, proper roads,proper car and now proper snow - they have it all.....

Yea I will probably wake to rain the morning... As for selling sell it to austrailia they are out of Europe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

a bit more snow falling here in Craughwell. We've had a day of lots of really small short snow showers... less than a cm in all, but better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lyndonjones

Drying up now in cork, which is the best thing could happen to keep our lying snow in tact.
    If the sky clears it could easily freeze.

It's a pity the cold spell is ending for us weather fans, but hey it could return in a week or so, who knows
    It's already been a remarkable Winter and it's still early Jan
    Usually we dont see any snow until well into Feb

Is the airport still closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I have been wAiting since 10am for anything to fall from the sky. So close now.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

hawker wrote: »
    What are the roads like in town alpha beta. Not sure about travelling to work tomorrow.

Dunno about city centre. But the hills around me here on the northside are tricky at the mo. Saw plenty drivers attempting Military Hill (Off Wellington Rd) today and simply sliding backwards down it.

I would say that if your drive to work is on the flat (or relatively flat) you'll be fine. Just avoid steep hills (which I know is sorta tricky in Cork!)

Oh - and don't blame me when you end up in a ditch... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

itsy bitsy gay snow falling in east clare, why can't we get a proper dumping??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

I'm living up a hill where it's still snowing. Otherwise it's the n25 all the way to town. I can decide in the morning.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It's trying to snow in Lucan!:D

Constipated Clouds???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Very heavy snow shower in Cork now again...probably the last one from the sounds of things...

And there goes the power again...FFS...third time tonight.

alfa beta wrote: »
    Here's a pic of my little street in cork - Alexandra road.
    Probably won't see it looking like that again for a while.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HXMI/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/snowy%20pics/snowy%20pics%20009.jpg[/IMG]
    Love the car tracks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Ludo wrote: »
    Very heavy snow shower in Cork now again...probably the last one from the sounds of things...

And there goes the power again...FFS...third time tonight.

looks lovely but it seems to be only sleet here (st lukes) - and doesn't appear to be adding anything to what's already on the ground - if only it was a couple of degrees colder tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Nice big flakes in Castlebar now, but not that heavy...its great to see, was envious of the East last night and the south today so nice to get soe here in Mayo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Theres a mixture of rain and snow...the snow in the garden is slightly broken up form the patch I cansee but the road has gotten a foot deeper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Sleety rain in Malahide :( Not a surprise I understand, I just thought I'd share :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sue3

It's slowly but surely getting stronger here in claremorris...fingers crossed. Tonight might be the night the west gets the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Stopped in Bandon in the last 30 minutes.

First real break since noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

nothing but a bit of rain earlier in navan that has so far only managed to turn the packed snow on my road into very dangerous looking black ice so that'll be fun in the morning.

so are we not going to get the massive blizzards that were forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Nothing here yet. Dear god how slow can a front move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snowing now again here too, perhaps the temp is remaining steady now at zero:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sue3 wrote: »
    It's slowly but surely getting stronger here in claremorris...fingers crossed. Tonight might be the night the west gets the snow!

i saw heavy snow there earlier. it was sticking in the higher spots too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

The snow has stopped here. it was snowing non stop for about 9hours. Everything is so white!! It is so lovely!! The road is covered in snow so it is quite difficult to drive and to avoid footpaths etc ...
    Is there more snow to come?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

been snowing light/mid light non stop here for the last hour.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Nothing here yet. Dear god how slow can a front move.

wow you have great patience:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Feels like a definite thaw here in Kilkenny city :(
    Feels like the mildest it's been in weeks I think. So much for the big snow event we were expecting. Last Wednesday was far more significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

sorry to see the snow on it's way out now, it's been raining softly here in dundrum for quite a while now and the snowman on my balcony has dissipated leaving only some soggy jelly tots and a puddle of water :(

there's still quite a covering on the ground here, when i went out for a walk today there were several inches of lovely white snow. the footpaths were deadly though, not looking forward to the journey to work tomorrow!

i loved following everyone's excitement on this forum though, was fantastic! :D i'll keep watching as the week goes on, i see met eireann have a little snowcloud over dublin on tuesday so fingers crossed ;)

here's a photo to remind all the dubs of the good times:

4263220017_1e647b05be_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    A thaw coming - from every fibre of my being, THANK GOD. Apologies to the snow lovers.

Although we may still see more snow before the thaw. So funny I want a thaw and snow at the same time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    tinkerbell wrote: »
    Oh yippee, the thaw seems to be coming. Thank feck for that, I am so sick of this snow!

Why are there always so many bloody heathens!?!? :(
    I really can't understand how folk can dislike snow. It's the bestest thing EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

BBC Vid forecast

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Like the forecasters decision to opt out of saying whether it will snow or not in uk. Little cough:pac:

That vid shows snow for south west on tuesday.

• Advertisement

meanwhile there is utterly pointless light snow mixed with rain here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement