Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Spitting rain here at Enniskillen. Major thaw today, most of the snow has now gone - some of which had been here since the 20th December!! Outside tap works for the first time since before Christmas too. I see there's alot coming up towards here - but I'd imagine it will be mostly of rain. :( Pity that, never mind, it was fun while it lasted!! Went outside earlier, felt like Autumn, very warm in comparrison to what it was!! Tempature has since dropped back - but don't think it's cold enough for snow.
    Sorry if it's been asked here b4, but whats the prospect for snow on Tuesday - I gather there's a heavy band of precip making it's way south to cover the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    BBC Vid forecast

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Like the forecasters decision to opt out of saying whether it will snow or not in uk. Little cough:pac:

That vid shows snow for south west on tuesday.

dear god not again. i can't take anymore letdowns:pac:

so, tuesday you say. ill book my ticket now then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

meanwhile there is utterly pointless light snow mixed with rain here.
    in Hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Still snowing good here in Killorglin...........lots of lovely white fluffy bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

GFS upgrades snow potential for Tuesday morning (note that this will most likely turn to rain eventually). Could be a messy rush hour for some.

prectypeuktopo.png
    h850t850eu.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sue3

claremorris - its doing its best to break through.... am just outside the town...nothing too heavy but we'll get...We'll bide our time..just like enda!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

I done a hike up a hill near Castlebar today to about 400m and there was 1-2 metre snow drifts in places, was amazing to see, I dont think I've ever seen snow so deep! Going back to a meteorologist (conusltant) that was on newstalk during the week from the uk, he said there would be pockets of mild weather where there would be a slight thaw but the cold snap would last until end of Feb, early March...I dont think we hve seen the last of the snow for the winter just yet....I think this is merely the appetiser...Its only the 10th of Jan...As someone said earlier, its usually Feb when we get snow and the big snow of 47 started properly in Feb...I'm certainly looking forward to more anyway after a brief thaw, just think of it as a period where you can go ut and stock up on food and beer again for the next event!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

moonbug33 wrote: »
    Still snowing good here in Killorglin...........lots of lovely white fluffy bits.

Stay away from those sheep. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

alfa beta wrote: »
    looks lovely but it seems to be only sleet here (st lukes) - and doesn't appear to be adding anything to what's already on the ground - if only it was a couple of degrees colder tonight...

All the snow slid off the bonnet of my car earlier during the rain shower. It is covered again now with the current snowfall...long may it continue. Roads are hell around here. been loads of crashes in the estate as idiots try to get up or down the very steep hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

in Hell

so that's why it's not snowing!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Temp has jumped from 1.5 to 1.8 in last 15 mins. Was steady fir last 6 hours and all of a sudden a jump. Sign of an approaching front??

Wild handling- you could have another good drop of snow before the morning. Might start as rain like it did down the country but hopefully turn to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

hoody wrote: »
    The lightest snow ever falling in Galway now... but it is snow ;)

yippee!

We seem to escaped the snow during the Big Freeze.:mad::mad::(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Spitting rain here at Enniskillen. Major thaw today, most of the snow has now gone - some of which had been here since the 20th December!! Outside tap works for the first time since before Christmas too. I see there's alot coming up towards here - but I'd imagine it will be mostly of rain. :( Pity that, never mind, it was fun while it lasted!! Went outside earlier, felt like Autumn, very warm in comparrison to what it was!! Tempature has since dropped back - but don't think it's cold enough for snow.
    Sorry if it's been asked here b4, but whats the prospect for snow on Tuesday - I gather there's a heavy band of precip making it's way south to cover the country...
    you are killing me at this rate it will be green grass and 5c in the morning what's dp there is -1c here....

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

Trains are still running tomorrow anyway

light wet snow here at the moment... as has been for a good while... waiting for the huge pizza size floaters to come... WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUU??????? :confused: (the only big floaters here at the moment are in the pub toilets... bloody tourists :eek:)

irish1967 wrote: »
    Temp has jumped from 1.5 to 1.8 in last 15 mins. Was steady fir last 6 hours and all of a sudden a jump. Sign of an approaching front??

Wild handling- you could have another good drop of snow before the morning. Might start as rain like it did down the country but hopefully turn to snow.

Do not know if you can tell me nut can I see any snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

so that's why it's not snowing!:p

Im suprized you dont have Steam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

You calling me a nut???? ;)

You should but at this speed that front is going to be arriving with you in about 5 hours !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

owenc wrote: »

What?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Been snowing here for nearly 4 hours now and still snowing, mainly light to moderate snow:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

kopijacked wrote: »
    Trains are still running tomorrow anyway

That should do it

Great vid btw

owenc wrote: »

Pidgeon English???

You calling me a nut???? ;)

You should but at this speed that front is going to be arriving with you in about 5 hours !!

Lol sorry i ment but shows snow at front rain in Belfast if that's snow and it lasts that long we are bound to get a covering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

danni2 wrote: »
    Been snowing here for nearly 4 hours now and still snowing, mainly light to moderate snow:)

Shows how erratic this front has been. I guess I'm about 15 miles away or so as the crow flies, and it is only starting here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Hi Irish

Not a drop to report here in Dromahair, figured it might hit us before reaching you but perhaps its running more along west coast, sorry i haven't caught up with charts and directions etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

moonbug33 wrote: »
    `

Is it heavy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

For those of us in North east Kerry and Probably South West Limerick we've had nearly 12 hours of constant snow!

And although it's pretty much slow and tiny now,It's still going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Yes getting marginal now away from high ground
    PPN is getting lighter which doesn't help marginality
    Still what a great days snow, best hope now is for it to clear from cork and leave it maybe freeze up a little!

So you've changed your stance from a thaw from tomorrow evening with snowfall persisting all night in Cork almost completely in the space of an hour..

JS, I admire your optimism & as optimistic as I am you need to inject some realism. Also, a bit of respect to Met Eireann would not go astray on here. Firstly, it's John Eagleton & secondly Cork was clearly highlighted in the risk zone. Since when does Cork not consitute part of the south of the country?

Your opinons change so rapidly they are hard to keep up with & you are not right on everything. For example, six days ago you said that this HP cell would collapse when I said that it wouldn't & that the evolution was similar to Dec 96/Jan 97 which gave a lot of snow to several parts of the southeast. I've been in various parts of Co. Kilkenny today (Southeast) & there has been a lot of snow. On the other hand, I also posted that the breakdown would be more drawn out, however I was wrong on that score & it is coming more rapdily, as suggested by Su Campu.

Today has been excellent for Cork, for Waterford, for many parts of the South & a fair few in the East, but you will have a thaw setting in before the night is out, contrary to your predictions.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Ricky91t wrote: »
    For those of us in North east Kerry and Probably South West Limerick we've had nearly 12 hours of constant snow!

And although it's pretty much slow and tiny now,It's still going :)
    and in west clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

francosp wrote: »
    That should do it

Great vid btw

Thanks!

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement