Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

No Snow at all here in Galway City, only very light rain for the last few hours. Mightily depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Snowaddict wrote: »
    you will have a thaw setting in before the night is out, contrary to your predictions.

SA :)
    and in one fell swoop, a Corkonian's heart shatters into tiny little pieces.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

eskimocat wrote: »
    Hi Irish

Not a drop to report here in Dromahair, figured it might hit us before reaching you but perhaps its running more along west coast, sorry i haven't caught up with charts and directions etc..

Have faith.. it will come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Asked earlier but noone answered me? i have about 5cm of snow and just wondering is it meant to thaw before the morn, just want to get an idea of what the roads are going to be like for work, im in kerry, cheers Jessie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

SNOWING IN MAYO BY THE COAST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Pidgeon English???

Perhaps you mean Pidgin English.
    It is always better to be careful with spelling when casting aspersions on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    and in west clare.

WolfeIRE, what's the snow depth there now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Shows how erratic this front has been. I guess I'm about 15 miles away or so as the crow flies, and it is only starting here....
    Wow, I was expecting it to start snowing from this front around 3pm today but didn't start till after 7pm, this is one stubborn front.

WolfeIRE, What's the snow depth there now?
    About 7-8 cms fell today nacho on top of the inch that was lying already. Went sledding down a hill this eve. No sled so a leftover cardboard box from christmas present worked nicely. I find the lie on your front manouvre is the best for high speed descents although it plays havok with your bowels. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm so dissapointed, still.........:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:(:(:(:( and to make matters worse, I fell on my ass for the second time this during this cold spell today!! :mad::(

Currently raining/bit of sleet here.

23224.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

and in one fell swoop, a Corkonian's heart shatters into tiny little pieces.:pac:

:D

Great to hear Wolfe that you have also had snowfall today. You have been rewarded for your excellent Model Analysis and predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

ardmacha wrote: »
    Perhaps you mean Pidgin English.
    It is always better to be careful with spelling when casting aspersions on others.

:eek:

And perhaps I didn't.

It is always better to be careful with aspersions when casting spellings on others. ;)

Snowaddict wrote: »

Great to hear Wolfe that you have also had snowfall today. You have been rewarded for your excellent Model Analysis and predictions.

i see.. so that's why i haven't got snow today:mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sue3

SNOWING IN MAYO BY THE COAST.
    Is it snowing much?.....it's barely falling in claremorris

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Snowing like mad on the hills,
    starting at lower lvls now temp has dropped from 3.0c to 0 in just over an hour.

webcam of the snow, http://www.dotet.co.uk/index.php?id=4 click on bungalow laxey village to see a screen of white:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Light spits of rain have just begun to fall here. About time. I will, of course, be sick as a dog if all it does is rain now after waiting this long for it to get here:o

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

are schools closed in dublin,rte 9.1 news have siad that schools closed until tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

owenc wrote: »
    Do not know if you can tell me nut can I see any snow?

your closer you tell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not melting but its certainly not as cold as the last few nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

jessie37 wrote: »
    Asked earlier but noone answered me? i have about 5cm of snow and just wondering is it meant to thaw before the morn, just want to get an idea of what the roads are going to be like for work, im in kerry, cheers Jessie

prob still be snow jessie, but it is thawing, i can hear the water dripping into the gullies outside, in saying that its started snowing again here in galway.

would be more worried about underlying ice than fresh snow for tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

and in west clare.

and still coming down, albeit a bit lighter now in East Clare, though we only have about 4-5cm lying

Well done though - you deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

Been watching that front get slowly closer for hours & when it finally gets here its rain :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Continuous light rain here, miserable.

The Wicklanese will like the look of Tuesday

10011218_1018.gif

Most people here have links to rainfall radars but here is a few for those who don;t and are waiting for the front in the northern half of the country
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm (click on nedbor)
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Regarding an outlook and talk of a return to colder conditions (conditions of past few weeks) in the weeks ahead, the latest GFS is not showing much promise for same for the next two weeks at least. There are indications of brief colder interludes but that's about it. Things change from day to day on these models though so it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

The ecm indicates that colder weather may reinforce itself from scandanavia on sunday but it's probably too far out at this stage to be very accurate.

People can see the models for themselves here if they want. It's an interesting tool that shows precip levels and type along with charts for the uppers, pressure, wind etc.
    http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/gefs_cartes.php

The above also links to other ensembles. The UKMO is highly regarded/

Hope the above links help the rest of you weather freaks enthusiasts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Its now been snowing continously for in excess of 12 hours without any break in West Limerick :eek: :D

The Met Eireann RADAR is still looking good.

Not a fantastic amount of snow on the ground, between 3 and 4 inches and traffic in the area has stopped for some hours now. Thankfully the road is not freezing too hard yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

snow on hill

IMAGE_302-1.jpg

IMAGE_300.jpg

IMAGE_301-1.jpg

IMAGE_299.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

moogester wrote: »
    Been watching that front get slowly closer for hours & when it finally gets here its rain :mad:

Where abouts are you in ni? Maybe we will get lucky and get what isle of man got!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

i don't think the atlantic will spare clare hearts either! we're all getting so county parochial here!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

i see.. so that's why i haven't got snow today:mad::D

Your time will come Nacho & it will be the snowfall that will be supreme over all.

• Advertisement

if the ecm continues to predict a return of the cold the gfs will do what it usually does and follow suit. over the past two years i've found ecm to be the more reliable model long term. of course it could be the gfs is correct this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement