Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Here my snowmen family :)

19870_246820548889_647533889_3115433_2198063_n.jpg
    And just for the record the one on the left is quite tall,Here's me standing next to it(I'm about 6 foot 4 or 5)

19870_246820593889_647533889_3115434_5488323_n.jpg

Fun :D

:D Class... Thanks for the uploads! (Even though the tallest snowman is the kind that might have given me nightmares once!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

You do realise when your snow men melts he's going to fall on to your car!

Asked my parents to move them,And they didn't :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

fitzeyboy wrote: »
    still snowing here just ouside of waterford city :D

Thought it was over but we still have a sleety/snow mix

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Kilmeaden. not really sticking unfortunately

Yeah, we just have sleet in the City for the last while, roads in around housing estates are really dangerous too

Edit: Its actually more like Snow rather than sleet, surprised as I thought we had seen the last of the snow

Kilmeaden. not really sticking unfortunately

Kilmeaden, the fillet of snow ...

Sorry

• Advertisement

Seriously, what's with Met Eireann's rainfall radar, it's been showing rain over Dublin all day...

it's to do with the sweep of the radar beam it's several hundreds of metres above ground level. Sometimes low clouds can be mistaken for percipitation, the radar cannot distinguish between low clouds and rain or snow.

The raintoday map uses additional information (dewpoint readings) to "guess" as to whether it's snow or rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rosenstocktakeh

Snow has vamooshed.

Its raining the last while. Where there was snow with layers of ice this morning, there is nothing now. I never thought it would clear that quickly.

Relived that the drive to work tomorrow morning can be faced without worry, or thoughts of packing an overnight bag in case I got stranded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

With out snow days from work, this was a complete pain in the arse -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Dear god this is like watching paint dry... get up north ya fecker !!

Temp has dropped for the first time in about 5 hours from 1.6c to 1.5c :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    I don't understand why anybody wants rain.

I dont mind snow, but when you have a 2 wheel drive car, without winter tires, living on a hill and need to get to work then it makes it very hard to live and drive to work etc. On top of that we had only about 4 - 5 cm of snow, and we now have power cuts every 15 - 20 minutes. And loads of people are bleeding the water by leaving there taps run day and night so they dont freeze.

We have had no functioning shower since chirstmas due to lack of water pressure due to people leaving there taps run, added to that the 2 weeks without water after the flooding, now no power in an aparment with only electric heating kinda makes you a bit annoyed really so the less snow the better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

The lightest snow ever falling in Galway now... but it is snow ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

raining in finglas

damn, i took the next 3 days off work :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Snowing in Loughrea. Only noticed it bout half an hour ago but it's steady enough. Eventually a bit of decent snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Cork snowfall is 2nd story on 9 news RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Stopped snowing in Tipp, looks like there could be a small thaw happening (Jeremy isn't going to like it)

Jeremy
    IMG_0966-1.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Its snowing In Newbridge , very very lightly .

Went outside and all you can hear is drip drip drip, so there is a thaw on also.

Still have nearly 5 inches on the ground so wont complain

Temp 1.4

Dp -0.5

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Timistry

Still snowing here in kenmare. Its been very light all day but everything is covered. just back from a walk. only about 1cm on the ground. Just got unlucky with the way the front was orientated

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭TheBastard

Whats going on with Tuesday? BBC have Heavy snow for most of irelnad? Surely The Thaw will be full blast by then- We'll have Cocktails sitting out the back garden *Sob sob* Damn you Snow god "shakes fist*:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

still snowing in East Clare as well - was quite surprised as I only went out for more turf and the footprints we made earlier around 5pm are filled in - probably about 3 inches lying snow and still falling, nice feathery flakes
    Air temp 0.3C and for once the water-troughs are still liquid - yay

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Sandymount, Dublin.
    All snow practically gone. Rain all day; not a sausage as far a snow concerned. It's now vaguely mild but cold (!) with wind and squally rain - a typical horrible night. What a difference 24 hours makes!

Nowt to report here and unlikely to be. I reckon we're all sausaged out here on the east coast with no prospect of sausages in the foreseeable.

Have really enjoyed all yr updates from around the country over the last day or so. Special respect to all you amateur weather-heads. Cheers guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

In tonight's news

DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Snowing up here with me again, albeit lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

raining slightly here , freezing on contact though :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

TheBastard wrote: »
    Whats going on with Tuesday? BBC have Heavy snow for most of irelnad? Surely The Thaw will be full blast by then- We'll have Cocktails sitting out the back garden *Sob sob* Damn you Snow god "shakes fist*:mad:

It's so us lot can keep the big freeze threads going until Tuesday......

I reckon predicting a heat wave might be as accurate.... Whole thing turned out to be a non event for the east due to crappy high temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Moderate snow in Castlebar now and getting heavier, is this the West's night? Keep it coming snow machine!!
    photo.php?pid=4982063&id=732776071
    photo.php?pid=4982063&id=732776071

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

TheBastard wrote: »

Was just gonna ask about this myself. When this front moves away, what happens ? Do we see a return to the cold air for a few more days ?

What did the models look like today for the event on Tuesday that a few people are talking about ? Or do most of you think Tuesday is now a non-event ?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

DRIP DRIP DRIP. had to make a snowman before it all melted so was in the garden for the last while.still loads of snow sitting on the ground but its becoming a slushy wet mess on the roads, and the ice underneath is causing havoc again.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

north cork, they are talking about you at the moment on rte.... the only thing they are saying about dublin is about the people killed in pearse street.

sorry just started talking about water in dublin, or lack there of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

why do people have such a chip on there shoulder in relation to dublin jesus get over it and go out and enjoy your snow!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

North Cork wrote: »
    In tonight's news

DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think a double murder is slightly more important than farmer murphy not being able to get his tractor up a hill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement