Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

well what can i say....big disappointment for me,my grand total of all shower's reached a total of 2.5cm for the entire cold spell,to say im gutted is putting it mildly(couldn't resist).the cold of dec09-jan10 will remain with me for ever,as will some of the most extreme temp's ive seen in this country,the picture's from around the country were spectacular to say the least.
    as a keen weather watcher ive been on here for a while,dont post much,the odd post,but i have been glued to this whole period of weather on board's,ive tried to give my input where i felt strongly on an "event" right or wrong,but i would really like to thank all of you regulars for excellent chart's,forecasts,chat and observation's,it has been a great ride and i will certainly be purchasing a ticket for the next ride :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

if the ecm continues to predict a return of the cold the gfs will do what it usually does and follow suit. over the past two years i've found ecm to be the more reliable model long term. of course it could be the gfs is correct this time.
    the ecmwf is it nacho? that keeps cold uppers over most of ireland for Tuesday's front, which would be interesting. It is very much out of kilter with the others on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If the NAE was correct for Tuesday, there could be humongous amounts of snow in Wicklow, but i doubt it will happen.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/10/basis18/ukuk/prty/10011218_1018.gif

If the NAE was correct for Tuesday, there could be humongous amounts of snow in Wicklow, but i doubt it will happen.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/10/basis18/ukuk/prty/10011218_1018.gif
    the gfs is not too dissimilar either wc. I am sure Supercell would love another foot:pac:

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2010/01/10/basis18/ukuk/prty/10011206_1018.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

in regard to Tuesday and i must say i'm expecting nothing but how often do atlantic systems turn to snow on the east coast? or is it usually a case of snow on the east being thanks to the irish sea or easterly moving fronts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Its amazing looking at the radar .. the precipitation over Clare is more or less exactly the same as it has been since 3.30pm !! Bring it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

according to theyr.com its expected to fall as snow across the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

prob still be snow jessie, but it is thawing, i can hear the water dripping into the gullies outside, in saying that its started snowing again here in galway.

would be more worried about underlying ice than fresh snow for tomorrow

Thanks for that, just wondering would it be best leaving it as I can work Tuesday instead of Tommorow,still snowing here!

i don't think the atlantic will spare clare hearts either! we're all getting so county parochial here!
    :confused: he is from cork isn't he? Don't be a rebel all the time. Oops. did it again. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

owenc wrote: »
    Where abouts are you in ni? Maybe we will get lucky and get what isle of man got!!!

I'm in Dungannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    the ecmwf is it nacho? that keeps cold uppers over most of ireland for Tuesday's front, which would be interesting. It is very much out of kilter with the others on that though.

yes that's the organisation i'm talking about. it certainly will be interesting to see will they prove to be right about Tuesday.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Its amazing looking at the radar .. the precipitation over Clare is more or less exactly the same as it has been since 3.30pm !! Bring it here
    for a very nominal fee irish i can have two truckloads up to you by 7am

according to theyr.com its expected to fall as snow across the country.
    yep. same here in clare.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Clare/Ennis/

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

irish1967 wrote: »

no !!!
    I've tied a load of baling twine around it and me and WolfeIRE are keeping it for the night :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

moogester wrote: »
    I'm in Dungannon.

Oh that's surprising everyone on here from ni is from enniskillen or Belfast not too many from Derry or Antrim... What's weather like there now this should be good if it snows here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

:confused: he is from cork isn't he? Don't be a rebel all the time. Oops. did it again. :p

yeah he is from cork! just find it interesting how our small land is defined by county - a product of the gaa! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

for a very nominal fee irish i can have two truckloads up to you by 7am

Need a hand with the driving? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Does anyone have any idea what the roads might be like near the Sallygap in Wicklow? This morning they were like glass and I ended up turning back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Just seen the BBC forecast, they are saying significant snow for S. Ireland and S. England and Wales on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

all the dubs gone to bed/pub in extreme dissapointment, cept me I'm waitin' for a miracle...lol:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Just went for a walk around my neighbourhood here in North West Cork and about 4 inches of snow on the ground here now and the roads in a treacherous condition. Can't see a thaw beginning here until tommorow.

anoble66 wrote: »
    Just seen the BBC forecast, they are saying significant snow for S. Ireland and S. England and Wales on Tuesday

yeah even down south i see! will believe it when i see it though.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Just went for a walk around my neighbourhood here in North West Cork and about 4 inches of snow on the ground here now and the roads in a treacherous condition. Can't see a thaw beginning here until tommorow.

where abouts are you roughly? just curious which roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wicklowgirl

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea what the roads might be like near the Sallygap in Wicklow? This morning they were like glass and I ended up turning back.

I reckon they are probably the same as they were this morning, I know the Wicklow gap is pretty bad and getting worse as we speak so I presume Sally Gap is no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snow here has just changed from a weak snizzly affair to decent sized snowflakes - it won't last of course but still :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Are we getting snow in Donegal tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The ecm indicates that colder weather may reinforce itself from scandanavia on sunday but it's probably too far out at this stage to be very accurate.

People can see the models for themselves here if they want. It's an interesting tool that shows precip levels and type along with charts for the uppers, pressure, wind etc.
    http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/gefs_cartes.php

The above also links to other ensembles. The UKMO is highly regarded/

Hope the above links help the rest of you weather freaks enthusiasts

Thanks.

What do the different numbers 1-20 called 'Perturbations' mean. Are they just the number of model iterations that have been run ?

I know its very far out I am only asking to try and understand things better. When you say the ECM model indicates cold weather winning. Does this mean that it will eventually win the battle and we would see a return to last weeks conditions ? If I wanted to look at that for myself I would just click on ECM then temp and scroll to the relevant +Xh

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    Are we getting snow in Donegal tonight ?

Its on its way but knowing our luck it will be rain by the time it gets here

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

owenc wrote: »
    Oh that's surprising everyone on here from ni is from enniskillen or Belfast not too many from Derry or Antrim... What's weather like there now this should be good if it snows here!!!

Still light rain here.....doesnt seem to be damaging the snow cover much though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Anyone know what the roads are like in West Cork. Have to travel from Newcestown to Forge Hill for work in the morning?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement