Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

It's trying to snow in Lucan!:D

Tis, but I doubt we'll get much.:(, BUT ya never know :)

Fully agree, I have said all day that we will have a large thaw tomorrow and likely suffer floods. As i type it is still bucketing snow and with the disturbance running across the south the wind will not bak south of east until tomorrow.Therefore a few hours more of snow here, then a slight freeze up as it clears before the mild wins out tomorrow
    A lot of people in South cork are reporting rain now already..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

leahyl wrote: »
    btw everyone - i love all types of extreme weather - like storms, heat waves so once this episode is over i hope we have many more of these conversations about snow, storms and sun!!:D

Me too :D especially tornados and hurricanes, wont be long now and my radar program will be buzzing with activity from the states.

GRlevel3-1-1.png
    GRlevel3-2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Snowing here all day, and still doing so, albeit very lightly. We currently have accumulation of nearly 2 cm now. Temp of 0.1 C and -0.6 C dp,

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Whats going to happen for the cork is that as winds turn more SE temperatures will rise abit towards dawn along the coast as per the east coast.

I don't mind the rise in Temperature, I just hope that the precipitation has moved away by then, leaving the snow on the ground at least until tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Spindle wrote: »
    Bang on, now raining in the city thanfully, as we are not coped to deal with snow at all, power cuts, water running out, idiots not driving slow enough and crashing everywhere etc etc. Hope it doesnt freeze on all this, and all will be back to normal, rain, and small frosts at night.

I don't understand why anybody wants rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fully agree, I have said all day that we will have a large thaw tomorrow and likely suffer floods. As i type it is still bucketing snow and with the disturbance running across the south the wind will not bak south of east until tomorrow.Therefore a few hours more of snow here, then a slight freeze up as it clears before the mild wins out tomorrow

Just talking to my friend on gmail chat and she lives in glanmire and she said it's stopped and it's beginning to melt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BotanyQueen

Seriously, what's with Met Eireann's rainfall radar, it's been showing rain over Dublin all day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fitzeyboy

still snowing here just ouside of waterford city :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

still light snow here in north tipp, temp at 0.9C

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

fitzeyboy wrote: »
    still snowing here just ouside of waterford city :D
    Where abouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

have it on good authority its been snowing non stop all day in clonmel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Still snowing outside mallow. around 4inches.
    can`t complain! :)

Temp just below zero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Just talking to my friend on gmail chat and she lives in glanmire and she said it's stopped and it's beginning to melt!

Yes getting marginal now away from high ground
    PPN is getting lighter which doesn't help marginality
    Still what a great days snow, best hope now is for it to clear from cork and leave it maybe freeze up a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Rained in Rochestown also. Hs stopped now again but snow is melting FAST. Gone off bushes already and dripping off everywhere else. Looks like it will be gone by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Still snowing outside mallow. around 4inches.
    can`t complain! :)

hardly anything has fallen though in the last couple of hours...is there any heavier bursts to come? radar looks a bit yellow in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Hi , its snowing lighty here in Kerry most of the day, have about 5cm of snow. wondering is it meant to freeze tonight on top of this? from what your all saying Im guessing temperatures are rising and its going to rain.

Yes getting marginal now away from high ground
    PPN is getting lighter which doesn't help marginality
    Still what a great days snow, best hope now is for it to clear from cork and leave it maybe freeze up a little!

will it freeze much though? if it does roads will be dreadful whether it be slush or rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Here my snowmen family :)

19870_246820548889_647533889_3115433_2198063_n.jpg
    And just for the record the one on the left is quite tall,Here's me standing next to it(I'm about 6 foot 4 or 5)

19870_246820593889_647533889_3115434_5488323_n.jpg

Fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok guys i'm heading! It's been great - a rollercoaster ride!! I got my snow which is all i wanted! Thanks guys for being so entertaining!!

Night;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

will it freeze much though? if it does roads will be dreadful whether it be slush or rain.
    I say if it does it will have to happen early in the night
    Remember ground temps are very low so it can freeze with air temps at 2-3C

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

A lot of people in South cork are reporting rain now already..

Don't think that's quite accurate. People in the city are reporting rain. Up here on the high ground south of the airport, it's still snowing lightly. DP remains stubbornly below zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The Big THAW is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Heavy sleety rain here in dublin.Thaw going on all day making roads and pathways very messy.Have to say enjoyed it while it lasted but wont be sorry to see the back of it.We had some serious snow showers last night best i seen for years so happy enough with that giving it was the weekend otherwise we could of been in trouble.Another thing is its only the second week in January correct me if im wrong but our worst weather always seems to be Febuary so i reckon alot more to come this winter.

Ok guys i'm heading! It's been great - a rollercoaster ride!! I got my snow which is all i wanted! Thanks guys for being so entertaining!!

Night;)!

night MISS Leahy! we got our snow eventually - better late than never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fitzeyboy

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Where abouts?

Kilmeaden. not really sticking unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Here my snowmen family :)

19870_246820548889_647533889_3115433_2198063_n.jpg
    And just for the record the one on the left is quite tall,Here's me standing next to it(I'm about 6 foot 4 or 5)

19870_246820593889_647533889_3115434_5488323_n.jpg

Fun :D

You do realise when your snow men melts he's going to fall on to your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Definitely thawing here east of Cork city. I hope it continues to thaw. I've had my fun with the snow, now I want nice normal Irish weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Still snowing quite heavily here in East Cork. I'm fairly high up so not sure what way the low lying areas are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement