Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

opr wrote: »
    Was just gonna ask about this myself. When this front moves away, what happens ? Do we see a return to the cold air for a few more days ?

What did the models look like today for the event on Tuesday that a few people are talking about ? Or do most of you think Tuesday is now a non-event ?

Opr

We return to the normal sh** Irish weather..... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

parts of the shannon frozen solid - Lough Ree frozen solid. Absolutely amazing bit there on the news - one 75 year old man living on an island in the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

North Cork wrote: »
    In tonight's news

DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What did you expect, everyone knows nobody lives outside Dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kopp

can anyone tell me how wexford looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

mickger wrote: »
    Thought it was over but we still have a sleety/snow mix

still snowing out in Kill, snow is 'wetter' though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

In tonight's news

DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN

Ah c'mon - 3 minutes later - there's Pascal on RTE in Cork - cheer up! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

In tonight's news

DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN

Child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

opr wrote: »
    Was just gonna ask about this myself. When this front moves away, what happens ? Do we see a return to the cold air for a few more days ?

What did the models look like today for the event on Tuesday that a few people are talking about ? Or do most of you think Tuesday is now a non-event ?

Opr

Read MT craniums thread, this is pretty much a good forecast of weather over next few days http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63917235&postcount=753

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

homolumo wrote: »
    still snowing out in Kill, snow is 'wetter' though

Are the roads bad out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Read MT craniums thread, this is pretty much a good forecast of weather over next few days http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63917235&postcount=753

Thanks I had missed his latest post.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Lough Ree in dublin is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

IMG_3164.jpg?t=1263158136
    (carrot nose now missing:()

IMG_3176.jpg?t=1263158186
    (baby snowman now missing also)

From AA -

Avoid the right lane on the exit for J5 Leixlip off the M4 as well as the slip road from the N4/Lucan Rd outbound at the Spa Hotel. •The Strawberry Beds & Tinkers Hill remain impassable. Knockmaroon Hill should be avoided. Icy on the Newcastle Rd, the Griffen Rd and Chapel Hill. • Very icy and slushy on Brookfield Rd, the SCR at Islandbridge, Military Rd and Kilmainham Lane.

• The M50 has been gritted but care is still advised on the on/off-ramps. • Conditions have improved somewhat around Kinsealy & Malahide - continue to drive with care around the housing estates.

• Roads around the Glencullen and Stepaside areas are treacherous. Drive with extra care. • Take extra care over all bridges in the city centre, including Church St Bridge, James Joyce Bridge, Harolds Cross and Baggot St due to the very slippery conditions. Also on Bridge St approaching the Quays.

Dublin roads still look to be pretty bad

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

When I got up this morning and saw what little snow there from last night was quickly melting, I decided to go to the snow so made the trip out to Glendalough, and I sure did see snow :D Amazing up there, we saw about 5 other people while we up there and the snow higher up was almost untouched, fresh powdery snow... lots of it. And better still, while we were up there it starting snowing heavily.

An odd encounter while we there though too... we could see an individual walking towards us and couldn't determine what he/she was wearing... turned out to be a guy in full viking gear with a sword resting on his shoulder! Not what you would expect to see up there - wish I had taken a picture, but the sword looked sharp :eek:

Anyway, highly recommend taking the trip. For future cold spells that is what I will be doing, given my little micro climate in Lusk doesn't deliver...

Snow13.jpg

Lough Ree in dublin is it?

You are taking the piss right??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Shane732 wrote: »
    From AA -

Avoid the right lane on the exit for J5 Leixlip off the M4 as well as the slip road from the N4/Lucan Rd outbound at the Spa Hotel. •The Strawberry Beds & Tinkers Hill remain impassable. Knockmaroon Hill should be avoided. Icy on the Newcastle Rd, the Griffen Rd and Chapel Hill. • Very icy and slushy on Brookfield Rd, the SCR at Islandbridge, Military Rd and Kilmainham Lane.

That doesn't appear to have been updated since last night/early this morning.
    N4 and M50 were fine earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

In tonight's news

DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN
    DUBLIN

Admit it, you switched off during the murder story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

Just watched the weather there on RTE. A gradual improvement he said - TO RAIN. An IMPROVEMENT!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Sandymount, Dublin.
    Has turned from vaguely mild and rain to chilly with fine sleet in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

A thaw coming - from every fibre of my being, THANK GOD. Apologies to the snow lovers.

Although we may still see more snow before the thaw. So funny I want a thaw and snow at the same time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pinc

Just hearing the tip-tap of rain on my roof here in east Galway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

0002e60910dr.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Can we expect any snow here in the morning was a slight thaw temps have Been 2c all day

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Shane732 wrote: »
    From AA -

• The M50 has been gritted but care is still advised on the on/off-ramps. • Conditions have improved somewhat around Kinsealy & Malahide - continue to drive with care around the housing estates.

• Roads around the Glencullen and Stepaside areas are treacherous. Drive with extra care. • Take extra care over all bridges in the city centre, including Church St Bridge, James Joyce Bridge, Harolds Cross and Baggot St due to the very slippery conditions. Also on Bridge St approaching the Quays.

thats not been updated since 9am this morning or so, very out of date. Most roads in dublin are absolutely fine, due to thaw/rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

feckin raining here in D14 too. stupid goddamn country this, can't even organise a bloody snowfest properly. Seriously think it's time to sell the country to Germany - proper beer, proper roads,proper car and now proper snow - they have it all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

What a let down this whole (non) event was a couple of cm of snow washed away by rain in a couple of hours. This country truly is a sh%thole cant even do weather right

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Here's a pic of my little street in cork - Alexandra road.
    Probably won't see it looking like that again for a while.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HXMI/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/snowy%20pics/snowy%20pics%20009.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

It's likely to freeze each night this week : so ground surface will still be slippy even if there is no further snow.

Heard on News at 1 on radio today, that provisionally it looks like we could have a return to polar conditions after next weekend.
    Too early to say for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Oh yippee, the thaw seems to be coming. Thank feck for that, I am so sick of this snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

alfa beta wrote: »
    Here's a pic of my little street in cork - Alexandra road.
    Probably won't see it looking like that again for a while.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HXMI/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/snowy%20pics/snowy%20pics%20009.jpg[/IMG]

Nice one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement