Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

fisab wrote: »
    Cork Airport still clinging on to 0c and 0c dewpoint at 8pm.
    Amazing how we kept this cold so close to the south coast considering some of the stories from the east and SE coasts. Cant understand it.
    Read my last post-It's quite simple and down to one thing in the main and that was wind direction.
    Cork airport is several hundred feet above sea level by the way so not representative of the weather in the city-if it's dewpoint is zero,it means the dewpoint at sea level is above zero and snow should be turning to rain there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

light snow still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I have come to the conclusion that the supermarkets/weather people at met eireann collaborated together* to get everyone to panic buy to get sales figures up because of the slump at christmas and said of this snowfall (that I had been waiting all day for:mad:) was to be epic and make the mass all panicky and clear the shelves of there nearly out of date food

Pfft epic snowfall my backside I didnt even see as much as a flake today :mad:

*brown envelopes from the supermarket giants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

light to moderate snow falling here the past hour, sticking very well and adding more to the lying snow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

ch750536 wrote: »
    We're in the cloud now so a break in the snow for a little while.

FFS where do you propose i do my shopping with my 100 budget then??

im highly interested in the options you have for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's been snowing here for 9 hours non stop:eek:
    Definatly the biggest & most widespread snow event Cork has seen since the 80's
    As I said earlier a little disturbance running along the trough is helping it stall over Cork.Radar full of the stuff, I fully expect it to snow until morning. Roads may not be too bad though if it doesn't freeze
    I'll be having a late start myself

is there not some rain in cork now?! south coast looks like it is becoming marginal! send it inland where we will turn it to snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Read my last post-It's quite simple and down to one thing in the main and that was wind direction.
    Cork airport is several hundred feet above sea level by the way so not representative of the weather in the city-if it's dewpoint is zero,it means the dewpoint at sea level is above zero and snow should be turning to rain there now.

Yes, its mainly rain here now. What are the possibilities for the temperature to fall by half a degree to get the D.P. down.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Leeside wrote: »
    Yes, its mainly rain here now. What are the possibilities for the temperature to fall by half a degree to get the D.P. down.?

Is it likely that this will freeze tonight? If it is mainly rain then if it freezes it will be lethal on roads tom i would imagine:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's no mystery and was explained to you earlier only you seem not to want to listen.

The same applies in a northwesterly cold flow by the way when coastal parts of the west recently saw rain.
    Again,I have to say for someone who is on netweather so much you seem to have learned very little about the dynamics of weather for to be coming out with statements like the above and the rain being a mystery...
    Excuse me now but I put my neck on the line last night and said most of the snow would be towards the South. I asked last night why the eagle didn't identify the south the way the beeb were.I said even cobh would see snow which it has. As far as im concerned I called this very accurately last night for cork and i said at lunchtime today that the snow would last all day and i was right again. Very few were saying at lunchtime that it would snow all day for the south
    It has beenn memorable for us down here, so lay off and give me a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

200motels wrote: »
    Raining lightly here.:mad:

Changed so fast from snow to sleet to rain but we had a great day of snow today so can't complain too much ;)

Edit; Just turned back to a sleety snow mix there now so who knows what will happen tonight yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭TheBastard

Wonder what they'll do with all the salt they've stocked up!
    Its just funny how much the Government react to media backlash

Reporter: Minister Why was there no salt or grit in the country?
    Minister Gormely: "ehhh, we've orrdered a **** load- its coming monday"
    Reporter: Wont that be too late?
    Minister Gormley: "not a chance- Colds here to stay- we'll close the schools too

on another note! *SOB SOB SOB* where is my snow gone!!!! Damn you mother nature!! *shakes Fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

There seems to have been a drop in the number of forecasts and links being posted relating to actual weather.
    Inversely proportionate to the rise in temperature methinks. Any predictions for the coming weeks anyone?

I'm genuinely interested one way or t'other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Excuse me now but I put my neck on the line last night and said most of the snow would be towards the South. I asked last night why the eagle didn't identify the south the way the beeb were.I said even cobh would see snow which it has. As far as im concerned I called this very accurately last night for cork and i said at lunchtime today that the snow would last all day and i was right again. Very few were saying at lunchtime that it would snow all day for the south
    Less of the handbags.

You did make a sweeping statement that there would be widespread blizzard to the coast across Ireland around 3 hours ago however.

Moving swiftly on though and back to the weather.

The forum is here for people differing views on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

will dewpoints change inland in cork as well above 0 or is it just by the coast?

handbags at dusk....:);)

I'm not commenting on what you said last night.
    Also you are wrong.
    Met Eireann clearly forecasted snow for Cork and the south last night.
    They were right about that and they were right about the rain and sleet on the East coast.
    I've just been commenting on some of the nonsense that you've been posting this evening -like that it will continue to snow in cork city etc etc
    It will well inland for a while probably but you cannot avoid milder atlantic air when the wind goes more ESE or South east or SSE.

Warmer moist surface level sea air that hasn't been dryed out over a long land track will do the same demolition job turning snow to rain on the coast in cork you know as it will anywhere else.
    Thats a very basic tenet of weather like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭kingshankly

i have 26 sliced pans in the freezer if anyones interested:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Still snowing in Kerry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Light rain in Galway City at the moment.
    Temp around 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Temp has actually fallen here again (0.8C from 0.9C) and DP back to -0.3C from -0.2C. I'm about 10km south of Cork Airport but still at altitude (67m). Maybe this explains why it's still snowing here.

• Advertisement

Hope this wasnt posted already if it was sorry.

Giant snowball fight in germany, hundreds of people :)

http://www.vimeo.com/8652368

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

I would prefer to have no more snow for the night, then dew points rise to the point where we have rain to wash away the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Bang on, now raining in the city thanfully, as we are not coped to deal with snow at all, power cuts, water running out, idiots not driving slow enough and crashing everywhere etc etc. Hope it doesnt freeze on all this, and all will be back to normal, rain, and small frosts at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,344 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Heavy cold rain now in mulhuddart d15. All the snow could be gone by tomorrow.
    Who'd have thunk it 24 hours ago? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭suttongun

Light rain and snow in Waterford now, someone's idea of a sick joke melting my snow!!

Temp: 1.2
    Dew point:-0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Still snowing in Tipp Town, not very much, but still snowing..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GavinH wrote: »
    I would prefer to have no more snow for the night, then dew points rise to the point where we have rain to wash away the snow.

Whats going to happen for the cork is that as winds turn more SE temperatures will rise abit towards dawn along the coast as per the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Warmer moist surface level sea air that hasn't been dryed out over a long land track will do the same demolition job turning snow to rain on the coast in cork you know as it will anywhere else.
    Thats a very basic tenet of weather like it or not.

Fully agree, I have said all day that we will have a large thaw tomorrow and likely suffer floods. As i type it is still bucketing snow and with the disturbance running across the south the wind will not bak south of east until tomorrow.Therefore a few hours more of snow here, then a slight freeze up as it clears before the mild wins out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

It's trying to snow in Lucan!:D

• Advertisement

will dewpoints change inland in cork as well above 0 or is it just by the coast?
    Eventually yes.
    The dp at around 600ft above sea level at cork airport is already very very marginal.
    The wind at the airport has for the whole day been either north or NNE which was blowing from land and not sea.
    I suspect that marginality is being caused by warmer air at the back end of the front though.
    It's death to the snow by a thousand cuts really as when the air moves south east and then sse,it's curtains even inland and up high as the warmer air advects to the rest of ye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement