Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

10 minutes walk, 7 and a half minute run, 10 minute walk. No pain. That's fcuking depressing to know that my run limit at the moment is somewhere between 8 and 14 minutes.

*le sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

10 minutes walk, 7 and a half minute run, 10 minute walk. No pain. That's fcuking depressing to know that my run limit at the moment is somewhere between 8 and 14 minutes.

*le sigh*

Little steps and all that
    Give yourself time, you have plenty of it, I know this is easy to write, but get sorted out properly rather than just pushing on.
    It seems to me with all injuries that us runners largely only want to treat the symptoms and then get back out on the road rather than treat the cause.
    The body is a feat of biomechanical engineering and sometimes we don't treat it right. You could be running IT band painless in a few weeks and break down again in peak weeks for the marathon. Find out what's causing your difficulties and try to put it to right. Then worry about your marathons.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Throw your pre Barca goals for this year out the window, RK. This year your goal has to be to get your body strong. I dont really know you, never met you, but from reading here,youve been plagued with injury for the past year, as far as I can see. Its easy for me to say forget your original goals, I wouldnt like being told that, but from reading here, your body keeps breaking down at long distance. I only ran one mara, I knew my body didnt like that kind of distance, I kept getting niggly injuries. So I decided to move to something else.

I sympathise with you, the frustration of not being able to train is a headwreck. Whatever you decide to do I hope the year improves for you.

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Little steps and all that
    Give yourself time, you have plenty of it, I know this is easy to write, but get sorted out properly rather than just pushing on.
    It seems to me with all injuries that us runners largely only want to treat the symptoms and then get back out on the road rather than treat the cause.
    The body is a feat of biomechanical engineering and sometimes we don't treat it right. You could be running IT band painless in a few weeks and break down again in peak weeks for the marathon. Find out what's causing your difficulties and try to put it to right. Then worry about your marathons.
    Oryx wrote: »
    Throw your pre Barca goals for this year out the window, RK. This year your goal has to be to get your body strong. I dont really know you, never met you, but from reading here,youve been plagued with injury for the past year, as far as I can see. Its easy for me to say forget your original goals, I wouldnt like being told that, but from reading here, your body keeps breaking down at long distance. I only ran one mara, I knew my body didnt like that kind of distance, I kept getting niggly injuries. So I decided to move to something else.

I hate admitting this, but both of you are right. I need to sort out the underlying cause of my injuries before I can really think about anything else. The problem there is that at the moment I'm still kinda in the stubborn "/pout, I don't WANT to think about anything else" phase! I can understand spending this year working on shorter stuff, but long-term I can't imagine *not* running another marathon, because I just really do like going long.

Went to physio today, that was bloody painful. First time in 3 sessions with CF where I found myself wanting to claw the side of the plinth at certain points. Note to self: Don't wear a Man U jersey to that again. Will be trying 10 walk - 12 run - 10 walk on Monday, and will probably swim tomorrow. Let's see how this goes... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Depends on whether you qualify for mates rates or not. :pac:

I'd probably need to recognise you in a crowd to qualify, maybe if you had shown up for a few runs you'd now be reaping the rewards :pac::P

• Advertisement

Note to self: Don't wear a Man U jersey to that again.

Why would you wear one anywhere?:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mrslow wrote: »
    I'd probably need to recognise you in a crowd to qualify, maybe if you had shown up for a few runs you'd now be reaping the rewards :pac::P

I was going to show up tomorrow. Alas, the excitement of spending time with you and digger has made me ill. :(

Also, do not insult Ciaran Fitz by calling him a physio. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Baby steps RK... as the very wise slogger jogger would say ;)
    I know it's tough but try to think long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why would you wear one anywhere?:P

To celebrate a 19th title?

I was going to show up tomorrow. Alas, the excitement of spending time with you and digger has made me ill. :(

Also, do not insult Ciaran Fitz by calling him a physio. :pac:

You don't know what you're missing.

When did I do that?

• Advertisement

Oh she knows. :pac:

Ended up waking up about 3 hours after I intended to this morning and therefore missed my swim. Also noticed that I have a long line of bruises at my left knee and along my ITB after yesterday :eek:

When did I do that?

It's like I'm destined never to spend time with you. I either sleep in or get sick every time I want to go for a run with ya. Looks like I won't be running for a few days anyway, so maybe next time. :pac:

Also, you didn't that was aimed at RK!

You coming out the toe GIR next week RK? If you're up to running/jogging it I might not be able to run so, you know.... ;)

Oh she knows. :pac:

Ended up waking up about 3 hours after I intended to this morning and therefore missed my swim. Also noticed that I have a long line of bruises at my left knee and along my ITB after yesterday :eek:

My thigh swelled up so badly after a physio session that it simulated the injury by pulling the ligament across the knee.

Pain is your friend though!;)

You coming out the toe GIR next week RK? If you're up to running/jogging it I might not be able to run so, you know.... ;)

Might come over as support, but there's no way I'll be up to running/jogging/whatevering it. Runs this week are probably going to be less than a mile and a half. :(

At the moment I'm kinda looking at either the Leixlip or Donore 5k (most likely the Donore one) as a tentative return to racing. CF suggested that adding in some faster running (strides/intervals etc) as soon as I can run for 20 minutes pain-free as faster stuff is less likely to irritate the ITB...

It's about a mile and a half from the finish line to Ryans, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If youse can manage to still be there on monday, I think myself and Oisin's train gets back from Galway at about 3.30pm ;)

I could just go straight to Ryans and skip all of this running stuff :pac:

It's like I'm destined never to spend time with you.

Ships that pass in the night;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Note to self: Don't wear a Man U jersey to that again.

Just don't wear one period....

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Just don't wear one period....

If RQ can get away with wearing a Leeds jersey, I can wear a Man U jersey in public. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

If RQ can get away with wearing a Leeds jersey, I can wear a Man U jersey in public. :pac:

Leeds = ....John Giles, Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, Allan Clarke, Eddie Gray......And Bites Yer Legs......:cool:

Public/Private....Manure jerseys are just wrong....But look, there's no accounting for bad taste ;)

New log here.

Advertisement