Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    I'll loan you the P&D book that covers distances from 5k to the half marathon if you'd like?

That'd be awesome, because I was *just* about to order it from Amazon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

That'd be awesome, because I was *just* about to order it from Amazon :pac:

Text me on Saturday night and I'll throw it into my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What if you did one leg of the Cork relay instead?
    That would be 5.5 miles, would tie in nicely with a 10k training plan...

RayCun wrote: »

Hardly worth the trip to Cork though, would it?

RayCun wrote: »

Who'll have me on their team? I can't run 7:30/mile for RQ's team :pac:

(also, less running on the Monday morning means more drinking at the weekend)

• Advertisement

Who'll have me on their team? I can't run 7:30/mile for RQ's team :pac:

(also, less running on the Monday morning means more drinking at the weekend)

I think that 7:30 was to accomodate me, I would imagine the required pace for her team would be a touch faster.

I would imagine the required pace for her team would be a touch faster.

Even worse! I am sloooooow :pac: (5k PB was at ~7.45/mile pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

But you have two months of speed training!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think that 7:30 was to accomodate me, I would imagine the required pace for her team would be a touch faster.

Nah that was for Woddle! ;)

Miracles happen. I wasn't *that* hung over this morning after my trip to Mallow as spectator, and managed to make it into work for 8am without wanting to die too much :pac:

Went to the physio tonight, and FINALLY got the nod to start back doing some easy running on Wednesday of this week. I'm allowed 2 miles then, 3 miles on Friday and 4 miles on Sunday. About fcuking time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Miracles happen. I wasn't *that* hung over this morning after my trip to Mallow as spectator, and managed to make it into work for 8am without wanting to die too much :pac:

Went to the physio tonight, and FINALLY got the nod to start back doing some easy running on Wednesday of this week. I'm allowed 2 miles then, 3 miles on Friday and 4 miles on Sunday. About fcuking time.

Excellent news.....

I hope you're using your Garmin to log the distance to and from the Physio ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    It's been sitting on my desk at home since I got home from Barcelona, feeling so lonely and unloved... :(

Stupid injuries. :mad:

Excellent news.....

It's been sitting on my desk at home since I got home from Barcelona, feeling so lonely and unloved... :(

Stupid injuries. :mad:

You were sitting around yesterday...You were attempting to consume every fermented apple in Ireland ;)

You were attempting to consume every fermented apple in Ireland ;)
    Apple, pear, berry... it's all good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nah that was for Woddle! ;)

and what a nice gesture it was ;)

You were sitting around yesterday...You were attempting to consume every fermented apple in Ireland ;)
    Apple, pear, berry... it's all good :D

And don't forget Cherry ;)

And don't forget Cherry ;)

I was ordering berry for her to much amusement from the bar staff.

I was a bit hasty about being happy there the other day. Went out for a test run this evening, had to stop after about a mile and a half because it was getting bloody painful. Brb getting really ****ing emo. Have done everything absolutely perfectly since I got the injury - lots of stretching and strengthening work, I even dropped a huge wad of cash on new runners, I've foam rolled to within an inch of my ITB's life...

*le sigh*

Was it painful from the start? Strange that even after 4 physio/massage sessions it hasn't really let up.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

It was fine for about a mile, then started to get quite painful until I stopped. It feels fine when walking, it's just running that's the problem. I must have seriously crocked myself in Barcelona :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

It was fine for about a mile, then started to get quite painful until I stopped. It feels fine when walking, it's just running that's the problem. I must have seriously crocked myself in Barcelona :(

That's the norm I'm afraid. A stretch that works for me is:

This is for left leg

Stand a foot and a half or so away from a wall sideways with you right side facing the wall. Place you right hand on the wall and cross you left leg behind you right leg. Now push away from the wall with you right arm, creating an arc away from the wall in your left leg. Ensure your left foot is parallel with wall. You might feel it at the hip insertion point. I hold it for 15-20 secs.

I also use a rolling pin for rolling now, I vary the weight I put on it using my hands for support. I know its frustrating but it will get better. Good luck RK, I feel your pain literally.

One more thing, running on grass helps, and improving form also helps. Please feel free to ask me anything. Mine are tired and tight tonight, so rest day required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

When I was coming back from my ITB injury I started with about 5 mins of walking then ran slow for about 10 minutes then walked 5 then ran. It was the only way I could build up the milage without causing pain. Took me a long time to get back to running without having to take such long walking breaks but then again I didnt do anything like regular physio appointments or change my runners or foam roll it. So I bet things will get better for you much quicker RK

A couple more massages and you should be good to go. I know it's bloody frustrating but keep them up and it WILL get you back. My offer is still there if you want to save some dosh, this is an exclusive offer open only to you, before anyone else gets any ideas!

Being injured sucks, especially when you're on such a high after doing so well in Barca. Have you tried aqua jogging? Was talking to a patient about it today, best place to do it seems to be out in Blanchardstown, I'd look a right tool in my gyms pool doing aqua jogging. Then again, people walk/stand in the middle of lanes and classify that as exercise so who cares what I'd look like. :rolleyes:

That's the norm I'm afraid. A stretch that works for me is:

This is for left leg

Stand a foot and a half or so away from a wall sideways with you right side facing the wall. Place you right hand on the wall and cross you left leg behind you right leg. Now push away from the wall with you right arm, creating an arc away from the wall in your left leg. Ensure your left foot is parallel with wall. You might feel it at the hip insertion point. I hold it for 15-20 secs.

I do this one about 20-40 times a day... :eek:

My offer is still there if you want to save some dosh, this is an exclusive offer open only to you, before anyone else gets any ideas!
    You're on, I'll do fcuking anything to get back on the road tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

When I had ITB troubles I found that it helped to up mileage "by feel" - i.e. I'd go out and run until the ITB started up. Then I would shut it down immediately. Gradually I was able to add one mile after another.
    It was fine for about a mile, then started to get quite painful until I stopped.

Exactly ! But stop as soon as you become aware of it ! The temptation is to continue "cause maybe it won't get any worse". Don't do it !
    It is frustrating but it is the only way.

You're on, I'll do fcuking anything to get back on the road tbh.

The major downside being you'll have to brave Ballyfermot. Bring a gun.

The major downside being you'll have to brave Ballyfermot. Bring a gun.

Nothing I'm not used to from Pram Springs. :pac:

Nothing I'm not used to from Pram Springs. :pac:

Glad to see you've finally stopped all that ''Firhouse'' mullarky ;)

• Advertisement

Glad to see you've finally stopped all that ''Firhouse'' mullarky ;)

That's where I live, but I spent 4 years working in the Square so I saw plenty of the worst specimens of Tallaght humanity in that time :pac:

Advertisement