Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sorry to hear that RK, rest up and plan your attack on a sub 3:50 for the Dublin Marathon!!
    Fixed yer post :pac:

Think I'm better off concentrating on getting over the injury and helping myself to a smorgasbord of shorter distance PBs before another marathon buildup. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fixed yer post :pac:

Think I'm better off concentrating on getting over the injury and helping myself to a smorgasbord of shorter distance PBs before another marathon buildup. :)

I thought you were going to give Cork a go and leave Dublin for a sub 3:45 attempt:)

Changed my mind, if I broke myself this much for a 3:59, then who knows what I might do for a 3:50? :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

RK, do you cycle? Ive noticed that if I replace some running training with cycling, (as Ive had to for tri) my run times dont seem to suffer too much. Maybe ask your physio if thats a suitable alternative (as well as swimming) when youre laid off the running?

I don't cycle. I am planning to take advantage of the Bike To Work scheme in the near future though, so there will be some two-wheeled cross training introduced then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry to hear you're out for a while - but speaking of shorter distances, will we see you at the Sportsworld 5?

RayCun wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're out for a while - but speaking of shorter distances, will we see you at the Sportsworld 5?

That's the plan. Sub-40 attempt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

She also suggested that I get a more supportive pair of running shoes for my long runs, which is rather annoying because I really like my current ones!

Sorry to read you are out for Conn ect. :(

iirc, you went for the Mizuno Wave Inspire 7's? I did too, but since the New Year, I've changed back to Kayano's - 17's this time. They are a lot better than the 16's, more like the 15's which you and I really liked.

Check out the 17's and see what you think. I keep the Mizunos for track sessions, as they have very little bounce left in them.

Best of luck with the recovery!

I'm actually in the 6's (much better colourwise than the 7 :pac: ). Not gonna lie, I really like them, but if they're contributing to my injuries they have to go. I hadn't even looked at the Kay17, my main issue with the 16 was the asymmetric lacing and I assumed that the 17 would be more of the same.

I'm going to head up to Base2Race this weekend (wanted to get that funky foam roller anyway) and have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

RubyK wrote: »
    Sorry to read you are out for Conn ect. :(

iirc, you went for the Mizuno Wave Inspire 7's? I did too, but since the New Year, I've changed back to Kayano's - 17's this time. They are a lot better than the 16's, more like the 15's which you and I really liked.

Check out the 17's and see what you think. I keep the Mizunos for track sessions, as they have very little bounce left in them.

Best of luck with the recovery!

I used to wear the Kayano's for years but hated the lacing issues of the most recent types too. I've now gone for the Asics 2130 after getting my feet checked with Asics and they actually suggested these instead, plus the lacing is like the old Kayano, straight. I actually love them, way more comfy than the Kayano aswell. Might be worth a look and choose between the two. Just another idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Can't believe you're not racing for the next while. You must be going nuts, especially with this good weather for training.
    At least you have your fantastic sub 4 under your belt! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    You must be going nuts, especially with this good weather for training.
    You got that right :(

Really wanted to hit the ground running (literally) after Barcelona, not take the rest of the month off... particularly when we've got the absolutely perfect running weather that we have at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

20 days for ITBS just seems so bizarre to me. You must have really, REALLY fecked yourself.

You must have really, REALLY fecked yourself.

That's what I'm afraid of! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I'm actually in the 6's (much better colourwise than the 7 :pac: ). Not gonna lie, I really like them, but if they're contributing to my injuries they have to go. I hadn't even looked at the Kay17, my main issue with the 16 was the asymmetric lacing and I assumed that the 17 would be more of the same.

I'm going to head up to Base2Race this weekend (wanted to get that funky foam roller anyway) and have a chat.

I'm there myself for analysis tomorrow morn. Hate the 16's and the laces so will hopefully be getting rid of those.

Crap news on the injury and the races, I know how frustrating it is. But as you say you can focus on knocking all those shorter PBs out of the park. Good luck with the recovery

Do they have it there? I don't use the foam roller I have so I'm reluctant to buy one of these. Was thinking of heading to base2race myself, just to 'look around'...

I think it was either MrSlow or menopause that was saying that he got one there. Either way, I want to have a look around. Annoying thing is that even though it's in D24, not that far from me, it's still 2 buses and one of them is the 77. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I think it was either MrSlow or menopause that was saying that he got one there. Either way, I want to have a look around. Annoying thing is that even though it's in D24, not that far from me, it's still 2 buses and one of them is the 77. :mad:

Both of us did!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

RK, thats a bummer and i know its annoying but it was worth it for the sub 4 i hope. I've wrecked myself after each marathon and been out for a month after each attempt. Its a right pain but i took up cycling and it helped stop me going mad.

Saw the Wave Inspire 7 today - someone went mad with the markers alright. I've worn the 4, 5 and 6 and love them too and can't see why i'ld ever change.

You still coming to Mallow by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Take it easy RK, hope the recovery goes well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Why don't you run there.......:eek:

On a serious note (and I don't have many of these)...Take your time to get sorted, you had been doing a lot of mileage prior to Barca! You still coming on the Mallow road trip?

chinguetti wrote: »
    RK, thats a bummer and i know its annoying but it was worth it for the sub 4 i hope. I've wrecked myself after each marathon and been out for a month after each attempt. Its a right pain but i took up cycling and it helped stop me going mad.
    I really do think I gave it absolutely everything on the day in Barcelona, certainly felt like it! It's probably the single race performance I can be most satisfied with. Probably shouldn't be surprised that I did hurt myself in the process, a 1:55 half 7 weeks out doesn't really suggest sub-4 at all!
    chinguetti wrote: »
    You still coming to Mallow by the way?
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    You still coming on the Mallow road trip?

With company like this, how could I resist? :cool:

Probably will come down for the craic anyway.

1200m swim this evening, made up of 800m front crawl and 400m with the pull buoy. I *must* get some technical coaching, my swim technique is truly terrible! I'll probably swim again on Sunday morning, then head into town to watch the MSB 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Sure, you'll have to come to Mallow, You'll be the only one drinking on the way to the race in the train. make the rest of us jealous.

Went to Base2Race this morning and ended up getting the full gait analysis done. Brought my first pair of Wave Inspires (the ones which I retired after the Raheny 5 and would have about 380 miles on them), the guy couldn't even sit the left one straight on the counter when he was having a look at them. From the video, it looked like I basically need a brick under my left foot and a decent stability shoe under my right - and the guy in the shop wondered out loud how I ever trained for and ran a marathon in the Wave Inspires... He suggested 5 different pairs - Mizuno Wave Alchemy, Asics Gel-Kayano 17, Asics 3020, Saucony Progrid Omni and some New Balance shoe. Was able to write off the NB shoe straight away because it just wasn't giving enough support, and it was rubbing my baby toe even walking around the shop. The Saucony shoe was yet another shoe where a 7 1/4 would have been the correct size, so despite the fact that it was quite comfortable it just wouldn't have worked because of the sizing issue. Wrote off the Wave Alchemy next because both Asics shoes were giving better support, and ended up going with the Kayanos because they were slightly more comfortable. 3020 is a nicer looking shoe though, because it's not pink :pac:

So, it now looks like I have a spare pair of Wave Inspires new in the box that won't be getting worn... :(

So, it now looks like I have a spare pair of Wave Inspires new in the box that won't be getting worn... :(

Off to Gumtree with ya!

Did you buy the Grid?

mrslow wrote: »
    Did you buy the Grid?
    Yeah I did, got the last one they had in stock.

I was wondering why I didn't see any around. What a disappointingly small shop. I went to cyclesuperstore then and fell in love with the most beautiful bike the world has ever seen. :D It was only 2.5 grand and I was very, very, very, very, very tempted. :pac:

Enjoy 'the pain' (I signed up for Cork, shhhh)
    What a disappointingly small shop. :pac:

I would have thought someone of your diminutive stature would have appreciated that the best of things coming in small packages?

mrslow wrote: »
    I would have thought someone of your diminutive stature would have appreciated that the best of things coming in small packages?

Some things are more useful when they're big!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Why does this log always decend into filth. I'm catching up with RK's ITB and shoe issues and you lot are just making dirty comments. Your a mucky lot!

Advertisement