Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Cork in June, Longford in August, Dingle in September...?

Thanks Ray, it's the 27th July - 13th August

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could just start Dublin training a couple of weeks early, take those weeks as a break, and start back up again. i think it's far enough out from Dublin that it could work. I think it's too close to your peak weeks to do Longford or Dingle though.

Sorry for hijacking your thread RK!
    RayCun wrote: »
    You could just start Dublin training a couple of weeks early, take those weeks as a break, and start back up again. i think it's far enough out from Dublin that it could work. I think it's too close to your peak weeks to do Longford or Dingle though.

I think that may work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mrslow wrote: »
    Thanks Ray, it's the 27th July - 13th August

I have had a 3 week holiday in pretty much similar dates in both my last 2 DCM training cycles. I generally started a training programme about 5 weeks early (18 week programme). That gave me some wiggle room for injury. All going well I was able to get to about week 10 before the holiday and go back to about week 8 after it. Just make sure the week you go back to after your break is a drop-back week.

If you can get out for any kind of runs while your wife is away (even a few handy lunchtime 5 milers per week). that will help a lot in keeping your fitness up.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have had a 3 week holiday in pretty much similar dates in both my last 2 DCM training cycles. I generally started a training programme about 5 weeks early (18 week programme). That gave me some wiggle room for injury. All going well I was able to get to about week 10 before the holiday and go back to about week 8 after it. Just make sure the week you go back to after your break is a drop-back week.

If you can get out for any kind of runs while your wife is away (even a few handy lunchtime 5 milers per week). that will help a lot in keeping your fitness up.

I should be able to get some mileage down in the evenings if my BIL accomodates me......time to start buttering him up :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gotta agree with Menopause and Ray here - just start early, and try and just maintain while your wife is away. Or do Cork. Up to you :)

Gotta agree with Menopause and Ray here - just start early, and try and just maintain while your wife is away. Or do Cork. Up to you :)

Are you running Dublin this year?

Are you running Dublin this year?

I bloody well hope so, as long as nobody hexes my legs in the meantime. 3:50 or die trying. :D

I bloody well hope so, as long as nobody hexes my legs in the meantime. 3:50 or die trying. :D

No problem to you. I've also realised I need to squeeze in a 2 week holiday:eek:

I guess I'll be experiencing this race too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I should be able to get some mileage down in the evenings if my BIL accomodates me......time to start buttering him up:D

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I just found out today my wife has to go to the gaeltacht for 3 weeks which will be in the middle of dcm training, 2 x kids - wife = no training :(, might have to start looking at an earlier race.:confused:

How old are they? Surely they should be doing 40 mile weeks themselves at this stage?:pac:

digger2d2 wrote: »
    :eek:

I retyped twice knowing you'd be in with your 'carry on up to tallaght' innuendo:P
    How old are they? Surely they should be doing 40 mile weeks themselves at this stage?:pac:

5 and 3, my 5 year old is now sporting her orange belt in Taek Won Do!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Ah RK sorry to hear about the ITB. Hopefully it clears up soon and you're back next week.

5 and 3, my 5 year old is now sporting her orange belt in Taek Won Do!:D

Congrats to mini Slow. I only ever got to yellow belt before packing it in!

Can't you run with one of these, they'd love it I'm sure...
    0003867505530_500X500.jpg

Congrats to mini Slow. I only ever got to yellow belt before packing it in!

1st dan black belt here, used to compete for UCD :D

Little victory for today: Levels of excruciating pain when foam-rolling are becoming equal on both sides :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

1st dan black belt here, used to compete for UCD :D

2nd Dan Black Belt in Kama Sutra myself.....Finely tuned mainly in the Arts Block U.C.D. :D:D:D

10 days off the road already - going absolutely mental at this stage. :mad:

Am pain-free since Monday on absolutely everything the physio said I needed to be pain-free on, fcuking pissed off now at having to wait until Friday for my appointment. Stupid St Patrick's Day causing all the Wednesday appointments to be taken. If anyone sees someone bouncing off the walls, that's me. :pac:

10 days off the road already - going absolutely mental at this stage. :mad:

Am pain-free since Monday on absolutely everything the physio said I needed to be pain-free on, fcuking pissed off now at having to wait until Friday for my appointment. Stupid St Patrick's Day causing all the Wednesday appointments to be taken. If anyone sees someone bouncing off the walls, that's me. :pac:

Sounds like you'll be grand for connemara.
    *If* you got the all clear on friday, would you be running on sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

hey RK, hope you get the all clear soon, just wondering about the Mizuno Wave inspire, did you find them small fitting at all?

Sounds like you'll be grand for connemara.
    *If* you got the all clear on friday, would you be running on sunday?
    If I get the all-clear on Friday I would strongly consider running on Sunday. Don't think I'm in PB shape though what with the lack of running since Barcelona and a flaky ITB though. Have read before that short, fast running irritates the ITB less then longer, slower running...
    hey RK, hope you get the all clear soon, just wondering about the Mizuno Wave inspire, did you find them small fitting at all?
    I wear a size 7 in them, which is normal for me. For the sake of comparison, I wear a 7.5 in the Adrenalines, 7 in most Asics shoes and 6.5-7 in most Nike shoes.

Tried a test run tonight, I just couldn't hold out until Friday. After 2 miles I was starting to feel some sensations, veering towards discomfort, in the affected knee so decided to just walk the rest of the way home. For that 2 miles though I felt like I'd been released from prison. Bloody hell. :eek: More stretching and foam rolling afterwards. I'm being absolutely religious about this at the moment.

• Advertisement

More stretching and foam rolling afterwards. I'm being absolutely religious about this at the moment.

You should consider one of those grid foam rollers Mr Slow is always going on about. I picked up one in Ballymount on monday. It looks a lot more durable than the standard foam roller, so while it is a bit more expensive, it will save money in the long run. Are you still using the little orange travel one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I wear a size 7 in them, which is normal for me. For the sake of comparison, I wear a 7.5 in the Adrenalines, 7 in most Asics shoes and 6.5-7 in most Nike shoes.

Thats exactly the kind of detail I was looking for, think I'll bite the bullet so. Probably wont get the chance to try them on so I kind of have to take a chance when ordering online.

You should consider one of those grid foam rollers Mr Slow is always going on about. I picked up one in Ballymount on monday. It looks a lot more durable than the standard foam roller, so while it is a bit more expensive, it will save money in the long run. Are you still using the little orange travel one?

Yeah I was thinking I should get one of those, I'm still using the little one I got at the DCM expo. Must try and get out to Ballymount on Saturday and see if I can get one, while resisting the urge at the same time to spend a hell of a lot of money on other stuff :pac:

Noticed today too that the price to register for Cork goes up at the end of March - could be time to accept that Conn is a lost cause and do that instead. Would give me more time to clear this injury too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Noticed today too that the price to register for Cork goes up at the end of March - could be time to accept that Conn is a lost cause and do that instead. Would give me more time to clear this injury too.

You dont need to run 3 in a year. You've done what you've set out to do. You'll only comprimise your sub 3'50 Dublin training/ aggravate old injuries if you do Cork. Relay instead imo.

You dont need to run 3 in a year. You've done what you've set out to do. You'll only comprimise your sub 3'50 Dublin training/ aggravate old injuries if you do Cork. Relay instead imo.

I was thinking the same. I'd go for Longford or Dublin if I were you RK. Thinking of aiming towards the half in Longford myself, Leeds is a see where I am race - Longford being flat could be a great half time.

I'd be looking at the National Half on 4 September myself - using the Waterford HM course which is pretty sweet :)

I'd be looking at the National Half on 4 September myself - using the Waterford HM course which is pretty sweet :)

Oh yeah, I'm meant to be doing that. That'll rule out another half arsed attempt at Dingle though.

Officially out of MSB 5k, Mallow and Conn. Physio doesn't want me running before the next visit, which is on the 28th. I've got to do lots of core work, stretching and strengthening in the meantime, and lots of swimming to keep up the cardio. She also suggested that I get a more supportive pair of running shoes for my long runs, which is rather annoying because I really like my current ones!

Officially out of MSB 5k, Mallow and Conn. Physio doesn't want me running before the next visit, which is on the 28th. I've got to do lots of core work, stretching and strengthening in the meantime, and lots of swimming to keep up the cardio. She also suggested that I get a more supportive pair of running shoes for my long runs, which is rather annoying because I really like my current ones!

Sorry to hear that J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sorry to hear that RK, rest up and plan your attack on a sub 3:50 for the Cork Marathon!!

Advertisement