Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag Bastards Broke Into My House Last Night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Bottom line: if you batter the sh!t out of a guy who robs your house, you become the criminal.

The authorities don't give a bag of sh!t about your house being robbed. They enable. Like many other problems in this country, the government enables this carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 donojono

Very sorry to hear that OP.

Its a sad day when you hear that you can not defend yourself in your own home, a few dogs is a good idea. Now then, if the scumbag thief gets killed by your dogs how responible are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Burkey0

I wonder what time of night (or even day) is the prime time for burglars? Would it be the dead of night, about 4 AM? Or would most of them case houses and flats with only one person in them and wait for them to go to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Burkey0 wrote: »
    I wonder what time of night (or even day) is the prime time for burglars? Would it be the dead of night, about 4 AM? Or would most of them case houses and flats with only one person in them and wait for them to go to work?

I wouldn't put a set time on it tbh Burkey, I have neighbours that have had had break-ins during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

All the emotions you are feeling are perfectly natural, but I would enjoin you to consider the reason why these people were forced to break into your home and steal from you.

So you are proposing that all thieves do not have free will and are coerced into crime by somebody else? Unless you have a metaphorical gun to your head, you, and solely you are responsible for your actions. I regualry work with homeless people and assure you that those who still retain all their faculties (and are not stubstance abusers) do not stoop to that level despite being amongst the least well off in Ireland.

Attitudes like that are the reason we have an epidemic of crime- make no mistake, I believe that it is the duty of the strong to carry the burdens of the weak, but such attitudes enable crime by absolving the perpatrators of responsibility of their actions. Children are the only ones who should not be held responsible for their actions.

They are not children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

I'd say it's a horrible thing to happen to you. I remember having a nightmare about being burgled once and I was suprised how much it shook me. I lay awake with this weird feeling of being violated. Before that I always thought of being robbed as being about material loss but it's much more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Think I read somewhere that between 9am-4pm is the prime time for burgalries ie when people are less likely to be at home.

We were burgaled a couple of years back,my little brother heard the kitchen door opening in the dead of night and jumped loudly from his bunk bed to the floor to come and tell me and the b*stards scarpered

They took a couple of bottles of wine,some money and a set of keys,we heard the next day that a local junkie and his mate had gone a crime spree and even robbed his own mothers house the same night and same road as ours,the gard's said it was more than likely him that did ours too but they could never prove it so couldn't do him for it,yer man died of an OD about 2 years later anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Are there any markets around Dublin that are known for getting rid of stolen goods? I know in a lot of other countries there is usually a specific market that is known for selling robbed stuff. I went with a fella i met while away and got his camera back from the black market. Would be interesting to know if anyone ever got their house burgled so you could go look for your stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Is it "against the law" to threaten the thief to sty put with a gun/FakeGun/Swords what not?

Cause If I heard someone((Atleast this is how I would hope to react cause you just cant tell))

I would hopfully get my phone call the guards then go to where they were with a sword yelling at the top of my voice " WTF DO YOU THINK YOU A F**KING DOING!"

maybe I should invest in a rifle replica.

TBH they should bring back the laws of old and cut off like one of their fingers without any antastetic!....That would teach people not to steal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Seems to be a lot of burglaries happening at the moment about two weeks ago 5 houses where broken in to on my road.
    They smashed the glass beside the doors and opened it that way absolute scum :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

davyjose wrote: »
    Bottom line: if you batter the sh!t out of a guy who robs your house, you become the criminal.

The authorities don't give a bag of sh!t about your house being robbed. They enable. Like many other problems in this country, the government enables this carry on.

lol

such a bag of sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Sorry to hear about that, Tallus.

Takes some sort of despicable person to break into someone else's house and steal from them.
    There's nothing like that feeling of knowing someone broke into somewhere you considered safe.
    It's just sickening :(

At least no one was hurt in the incident and you're OK.

Get the alarm sorted and as someone else mentioned, a very large, intimidating dog... if there's ever a next time, that dog will make sure someone does get hurt ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Crappy luck, tallus. Hope things have improved.

And Mairt (Makikomi) you're a diamond. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sorry to hear this its a shame if caught will say he is on gear and get a suspended sentence how are the real criminals letting these scumbags back on the street

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone for the messages of support.

You have all been a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Sorry to about your break in.

House I was renting was broken into one weekend - house was empty at the time, would hate the thought of someone to break in while I was in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

it must still scare me a bit because one night I was staying with my bf and the doorbell rang in the middle of the night - I started bawling. I think he thought I was a psycho :D

I'd have done the same! I'm completely paranoid about being robbed or having my house broken into.
    Just terrifies me.

When I was small, a friend of my dad's was killed by a burglar in his own home. I've had a fear of burglars since then.
    Even slight noises in the night keep awake up for hours, worrying.

:(

I have always had it at the back of my mind tbh. A good few of my neighbours have had been broken into over the years, and this is the worst time of the year for it.

I live alone too which never helps but I'm not really too bothered about them coming back again. If it happens, it happens, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Fair play to Maikomi/Mairt for his offer on Thursday. It meant more than I could put into words.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I once woke up at about 6am after hearing creaking floorboards from the hall outside the bedroom. In that split second between waking and opening my eyes, I'd already determined that it wasn't my GF as I could feel the warmth of her pressed against me, and it wasn't the kitten we'd got earlier that week cos he was tiny and we'd closed the kitchen door anyway. By the time I'd opened my eyes and caught a glimpse of the guy standing at the end of my bed I was already in mid-air screaming at him. It's amazing how your primal instinct to protect your family kicks in, even if you are in your underpants. When I chased him into the sitting room/kitchen I quickly scanned the place to see what was gone. I saw my man-bag emptied on the floor and her handbag upside down. All this happened within seconds, as my GF (Now ex) says all she knew was she'd heard me screaming 'What the F**K!!' and she hadn't a clue what was going on. Anyway, I caught the guy and looked around for the kitten. I noticed the back door open and no sign of the little fella and feared for him. He was a month or two old, never been outdoors and wasn't yet vaccinated. I also though this knacker might have harmed him. There's a certain humour to his response "I didn't touch your bleedin cat!!" as I interrogated him against the wall.. And with that, out from behind the couch appeared the kitten, with his hair standing on end.. I threw the guy out the door.

It was only after the adreniline had slowed that I realised the danger. Maybe I shouldn't have tackled him. But what sort of a man of the house would I have been if I didn't? And the funny thing is, had I have had the time to sit and think about my actions, I probably would have held back and he would of taken my TV, phones, CD's, Cat etc and I'd feel even angrier now.

Anyway, a happy ending. He was caught. 2 years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

tallus wrote: »
    Like the title says.. The Gardai just left, but my house was broken into last night they took my 32inch Samsung HD Tv and work Phone. (Nokia E51).
    They didn't even take the psu for the tv.

I **** you not when I say that my heart is still racing, I mean the bloody shock I got. The fact that someone was in my house while I slept is very very unnerving.

Just spoke to my next door neighbour and his house was done on sunday night in the exact same manner.

I swear to god I feel like doing a Padraig Nally on one of these scumbag cnuts.

They got into my place last week - took my laptop and my car. :mad:

Got a new laptop this weekend, I will loose huge money on the car, as insurance will never give me the value of the car. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

You realise OP that most burglars live close by and or are very familiar with the area.

Chances are you know or know of the people who robbed you.

P.C. wrote: »
    They got into my place last week - took my laptop and my car. :mad:

Got a new laptop this weekend, I will loose huge money on the car, as insurance will never give me the value of the car. :mad:

Sorry to hear P.C. it's hard to get rid of the frustration that follows.

I really miss my tv now too (bastards)

Stones85 wrote: »
    You realise OP that most burglars live close by and or are very familiar with the area.

Chances are you know or know of the people who robbed you.

I doubt it.

That may apply to most murders, but burglaries are a different kettle of fish if you ask me.
    Plus, what kind of people do you think I consort with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

tallus wrote: »
    I doubt it.

That may apply to most murders, but burglaries are a different kettle of fish if you ask me.
    Plus, what kind of people do you think I consort with ?

No not saying you are friendly with them, just that you'd probably recognise them. They've obviously been robbing houses in your area, so they are imo very familiar with the layout and an rough idea of who to rob.

My house was robbed recently too, got talking to an ex detective who told me the above.

He also mentioned that burglary is a type of gateway crime to rape and murder...... i.e he said the vast majority of rapists and murderers rapist/murderer started their criminal careers robbing our fckin houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Burkey0 wrote: »
    I wonder what time of night (or even day) is the prime time for burglars?
    2pm-4pm believe it or not. Did a Crime Project on this a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

man sorry to hear, thats one of my biggest fears tbh.. my grand aunt got burgled by 2 foreigners about 2 years ago, my uncle then got wind of the basterds who did it, rounded up a few mates and mangled the pricks nearly leavin them for dead but not quite.. i wouldnt give a crap if they did kill him, scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 UppThaDubs

My Nanny's house was burgaled only 2 years back,in broad daylight! She left the house to bring my disabled uncle down for a haircut. She came back 15 minutes later to find her savings,her purse(which contained a spare key to her house),very expensive jewellery including rings,necklaces,etc. She couldn't care less, she just wanted to make sure my grandad's old war medal was safe(which it was).
    The funniest thing about it was that her purse turned up outside my school the next day,with all her money,credit cards,the spare key,and even her man united badge she got at her first match.mad world.

But anyway sorry to hear about that Tallus,hope you catch the thieving scumbags in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

While I agree an alarm is essential for OP, a word of warning, they aren't the be all and end all - we had an alarm on our house, set it and went to bed - still managed to get robbed!! They used some kind of glass cutter and got the pane of glass out of one of the windows without setting off the sensor - they climbed in, had a good nosey, got a set of car keys, a laptop and some money.

We get the paper delivered at about 4am every morning though and when its pushed through the letterbox, it makes a fierce racket - we think they thought someone was coming through the front door so they legged it, opened the back door and set off the alarm. We called Gardai, and long story short, everything but the money was recovered.

After that, we got a sensor system put in so that any movement inside the house will also set off the alarm - we also lock all the internal doors downstairs so even if in the unlikely event someone gets in again, they can get no further than the room they're in without making lots of noise.

So for the OP, my advice for piece of mind (which after something like this, is exactly what you're craving), if you can, get a sensor system put in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Seloth wrote: »
    Is it "against the law" to threaten the thief to sty put with a gun/FakeGun/Swords what not?

Cause If I heard someone((Atleast this is how I would hope to react cause you just cant tell))

I would hopfully get my phone call the guards then go to where they were with a sword yelling at the top of my voice " WTF DO YOU THINK YOU A F**KING DOING!"

maybe I should invest in a rifle replica.

TBH they should bring back the laws of old and cut off like one of their fingers without any antastetic!....That would teach people not to steal!

You want this forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

giggsy664 wrote: »
    You want this forum

who said anything about airsoft ? :pac:

anyway tallus... yes they are scum... sorry to hear about this.

Advertisement