Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag Bastards Broke Into My House Last Night

Options

Comments

tallus wrote: »
    Jesus dude that's scary. I almost feel lucky now.

At least I didn't lose anything though.. except for movin out of the house.
    It happened in Laurel Park in Galway.

Mad to think you got robbed while asleep.. Scumbags of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Had the apartment broken into almost a year ago. Just before Christmas. We were home, it was 3am, yer man was ringing all the buzzers in the apartments like a numpty. I finally got sick of it and went to see what he wanted. Said he was looking for so and so's apartment at the top of the stairs. Now, we're at the top of the stairs, and I knew it wasn't us. Anyway, told him this wasn't the apartment he was looking for and hung up on him. Knew he was drunk/high/both by the way he was talking.

Anyway, I went back to bed and a few minutes later only to hear him pounding on the front door to the building downstairs. Pretty strong door, knew he'd have no chance of getting through it, but was a bit nervous all the same because he was sounding increasingly agitated. Then some gonk in another apartment must have gotten sick of all the noise because next thing I hear the front door downstairs opening.

Cue me freaking the hell out. I knew he was coming up to our apartment so I went to lock the bedroom door just when he was knocking our apartment door in (came right in, one of the boards on the lock side was a bit loose...we'd been after the landlord to fix the fecking thing for ages). I about crapped myself. We stayed as quiet as possible (no idea why we thought that was the best policy but there you go) and I scrambled for the phone to call 999.

Got through, told him to get them to hurry up...meanwhile yer man tried opening our bedroom door (which was securely locked). He didn't try to force it, just proceeded to wander around the apartment. Knocked over the fecking Christmas tree while plugging out my laptop to take with him. He didn't manage that one...I suspect he either grew a conscience or heard the Gardaí downstairs because he dropped it at the living room door and went to leave...they got him on his way out thank ****.

Now, we've been told many times by the Gardaí that he's harmless and was supposedly at a party in the building across from us (part of the same apartment complex) and got lost.

All of that basically resulted in me being unable to sleep in an unlocked room since. The shock and fear is pretty much gone now...but jesus christ it was terrible for a while. My OH tried to get me to sleep for a while after the Gardaí left as there was nothing we could do until morning. I couldn't even go into the bedroom on my own let alone go to sleep.

There's nothing irrational about being "hysterical" after something like that. Your mind goes to all sorts of places. Mine was in the "oh crap...he's going into the kitchen...is he getting a knife to kill us??" and stuff like that. We never saw him...and that was probably worse tbh...because it allowed me to imagine all sorts of things that weren't happening at all.

I'm glad you weren't hurt, OP, but you have every right to be very unnerved by the whole thing.

Well written Western.. Scary story.

Fuk me like. These people have no conscience. Do you still live in the same apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Well written Western.. Scary story.

Fuk me like. These people have no conscience. Do you still live in the same apartment?

Yup...although I'm back at home during the week as I'm in college. In fairness...now that I've had time to process the whole thing, I do believe that there was an element of mistaking the apartment for the one he was looking for. He was absolutely out of his head apparently. But he did go for the laptop, after all...whether he made it out the door with it or not. So that part of it suggests some intent, at least once he found himself inside.

He's supposed to be going away for "a long stretch" for something drug-related.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mloc wrote: »
    Ireland really is a **** country, can't wait to get out of here.
    OK we have our issues but go to many european cities and look at the security on houses there. We're actually not that bad. Not by a long shot.

This is not said to lessen the impact of these scum to tallus' current situation. Frankly I would like nothing better than to excise such scum from our society. Permanently.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sorry to hear about the break in, it's horrible to know some scummer has has his hands on your personal belonings.

Unless its some kind of kinky role play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Morale of the story get a alarm that works! Had a attempted break in at my house about a week ago, had a look at the camera feeds and the one thing that shocked me was how the guy did everything so casually. He coasted around the house with not a care in the world. Thankfully though the door held on when he tried to force the lock setting the alarm to which he then "scattered".

In all honestly people these people aren't randomly choosing your house chances are they'v spotted something they want during daylight hours. Be sensible and pull the blinds all the way down and more importantly NEVER leave keys downstairs at night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

I think it might be a bit harsh to label these people as scumbags. Now don't get me wrong, I don't for a moment condone their actions, but it is important to realise that these people are the product of their environment. They are more than likely stealing to feed their family, or to pay the mounting bills. We are living in a time when it is becoming increasingly difficult for even the average people in society to secure the funds necessary to live in the comfort they are accustomed to, and it follows naturally that those who were below this level before the recession hit are going to be in a dreadful position now. All the emotions you are feeling are perfectly natural, but I would enjoin you to consider the reason why these people were forced to break into your home and steal from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 NikkiXxX

I think it might be a bit harsh to label these people as scumbags. Now don't get me wrong, I don't for a moment condone their actions, but it is important to realise that these people are the product of their environment. They are more than likely stealing to feed their family, or to pay the mounting bills. We are living in a time when it is becoming increasingly difficult for even the average people in society to secure the funds necessary to live in the comfort they are accustomed to, and it follows naturally that those who were below this level before the recession hit are going to be in a dreadful position now. All the emotions you are feeling are perfectly natural, but I would enjoin you to consider the reason why these people were forced to break into your home and steal from you.
    Thats a fair point..But most of the time its addicts robbing to feed their habbits and they will kill to get what they crave. I come from an area that is full of that and Im sorry but I agree that they are lowlife scumbags breaking into decent peoples private property.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    what the lads do is they bought a safe (cheap thing) and put maybe 15 or 20 quid in there between them so that if they ever bump into the robbers (who apparently are quite viscious) they say thats where the money is and actually save a whole lot!

its a bit extreme but its a technique thats been perfected down through the years! iv loads more that iv heard!

When I was in New York City, I used to have a 'mugging wallet'.

Basically in addition to my real wallet, I also had one with about $10, a few expired credit cards, that sort of thing. If mugged, hand that over.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Quit trolling. I will not warn you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

TheZohan wrote: »
    Quit trolling. I will not warn you again.

I am not trolling!!! Why do people keep saying that to me? Somebody even said that it was a fair point in a response!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I am not trolling!!! Why do people keep saying that to me? Somebody even said that it was a fair point in a response!

Posts like this don't really do much for your 'I'm not a troll' argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Yeah lets give them a medal, when will be people take responsibility for their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Banned for trolling/arguing with warning amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I come from the same enviroment and I'm not a thieving scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I come from the same enviroment and I'm not a thieving scumbag.

Totally with you there, I really don't agree with the environment thing, seems like an excuse for the persons own decisions tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I posted this on boards before ...

I woke up at 4am in the morning because the doorbell rang... I didn't think too much of it until it rang again then I heard the side gate opening and someone going round the side of the house. He came back and rang someone and said, I kid you not, " I'm at number 25 and there's nobody here you can bring the van around"!! And my dad was away! I was 20 at the time I think, maybe 19 and my mam was fast asleep upstairs (she had had the longest day ever in work). I had fought to be allowed take the downstairs garage conversion as my bedroom as I thought it'd be "cool".

Rang the guards... and had some sort of twisted logic that I didn't want him to be scared away to come back another night, I wanted him to be caught. So as I heard him on his phone I thought he'd hear me so I rang the guards and whispered down the phone to them they were very good - someone stayed on the phone with me until the car got there and told me it was ok to go out now. The same twisted logic didn't want him to see me and if I had gone up to my mam I had to go through the kitchen with the windows and sliding doors round the back so I stayed in my room.

Well actually the guard on the phone was good - the ones who arrived were gob****es. The guy said he thought it was his friends house so I told them what I heard and the guard kept saying things like "are you sure you weren't out tonight and invited him back and forgot" or "invited him back and then thought better of it"... yes that's why I'm standing here in my fleecy pjs on the verge of tears. They asked if I was on my own in the house and I said my mam's asleep upstairs so they suggested she had had a few if she'd slept through the whole thing - lovely!

The next day I moved back up to my room upstairs and am here since! I also lock my bedroom door when I go to bed, just got into the habit of turning the key as I close the door. Actually it must still scare me a bit because one night I was staying with my bf and the doorbell rang in the middle of the night - I started bawling. I think he thought I was a psycho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

see this is the kind of thing that starts vigilante groups....not that I think they're a bad thing, if you see some one on your house late at night give them a kick for me!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Well actually the guard on the phone was good - the ones who arrived were gob****es. The guy said he thought it was his friends house so I told them what I heard and the guard kept saying things like "are you sure you weren't out tonight and invited him back and forgot" or "invited him back and then thought better of it"... yes that's why I'm standing here in my fleecy pjs on the verge of tears. They asked if I was on my own in the house and I said my mam's asleep upstairs so they suggested she had had a few if she'd slept through the whole thing - lovely!:D
    That's so unnecessary. Why not just drag the fella off, lock him up for the night, get a quick statement from you and then sort it all out in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

OP my comiserations, sincerely.

At kess73 just to clarify, the Gardai on arrival at your parents house after report of break in find you holding the scumbag having had to defend yourself in restraining him and they charge YOU?

Then said scumbag gets free legal aid in the prosecution of yourself!

The Gardai in question are complete ****ing idiots. The judge is worse for not doing the scumbag for wasting the court's time.

Exactly. Justice system is a joke.
    At least I didn't lose anything though.. except for movin out of the house.
    It happened in Laurel Park in Galway.

Mad to think you got robbed while asleep.. Scumbags of society.

Fúck me, I used to live in laurel Park. :eek:
    Was the first place I lived when I first moved to Galway. Large student estate.
    Student houses are easy targets, lots of valuables, laptops, tvs game consoles and usually no alarms or any forms of extra adequate security because cheapo landlords don't want to invest anything extra in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I was a student in Carlow years ago. Every house in the row was burgled several times, except ours. I suspect this was because we had a rottweiler the size of a small pony out back. Belonged to the landlord and kept the scum away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OP- Sorry for your trouble- I hope that you can get back to 'normality' soon. Just curious what practices do other posters have to try and protect their house at night time - locking internal doors, alarm, etc etc More to the point, do these practices actually work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Cicero wrote: »
    OP- Sorry for your trouble- I hope that you can get back to 'normality' soon. Just curious what practices do other posters have to try and protect their house at night time - locking internal doors, alarm, etc etc More to the point, do these practices actually work?

Lock external doors and a couple of internal doors. Put alarm on.

Five houses in our cul de sac were burgled one night. None had the alarm set. Three had unlocked side doors.

The sixth house the burglars tried was alarmed and it went off. They then fled.

The oft-repeated and f*cking annoying saying "If they want to get in, they'll get in" is only partly true. Make it easy for them and you're more likely to be robbed.

Alarms and locked doors are a deterrent. If I was a burglar I'd be much more inclined to rob a house which had unlocked doors and windows and no alarm than one which was properly secured.

Cicero wrote: »

We've always used an alarm, and when we left the house we double locked the front door. But we've had to beef up security since the time we were burgled at 10am in the morning: if there was someone in the house we'd leave the alarm off (apart from at night, but in the mornings it'd be turned off until everyone had left). My sister was asleep upstairs, and they slipped a credit card/7-up bottle square across the lock and got straight in, robbed the house while she was upstairs. Now we use a deadlock all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

at least he didnt take your laptop/pc....otherwise boards couldnt cheer you up...

hopfully you have conents insurance....it only a tv.....

one time travellers were parked up at the end of the cul de sac. when all the neighbours cars were gone they put a little lad in the back window. but on that day one of the daughters was sick and was at home. she got up and the little lad fled but their were 3 others outside.
    bit stupid of them to try rob a place when they were parked at the top of the road.....but the gardai went up and they left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

There over the summer 2 big body buiders turned up to my house and said they where looking for my dad they had no car or anything like that. My mum was asleep on in the siting room and I was upstrars with my ex gf. They whent around the back and tryed to get into the house I ended up going down to them with a gun in my hands big shot gun for hunting and put it up in there faces and said if yous don't go I will blow your face off. They run a mile jumped on the shed. I think they where looking for my dad who they think is rich

cmpunk wrote: »
    There over the summer 2 big body buiders turned up to my house and said they where looking for my dad they had no car or anything like that. My mum was asleep on in the siting room and I was upstrars with my ex gf. They whent around the back and tryed to get into the house I ended up going down to them with a gun in my hands big shot gun for hunting and put it up in there faces and said if yous don't go I will blow your face off. They run a mile jumped on the shed. I think they where looking for my dad who they think is rich
    :eek:

Where the fcuk did you get a shotgun?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

My dad gos hunting that's why I had it so don't mass with me the ex said I was nuts for going for the gun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

My missus' Da has had his van broken into a number of times and whatever tools he had in it taken. Pain in the ass when it's something that you need for your job.

Thats happened to my dad a few times, its unreal the amount of money gone out the window once tools are taken.

sorry to hear about that OP.

a rented house i was in last year got broken into. nothing was taken thankfully the alarm was set. wasnt in the house either. but i honestly wasnt able to even ring the guards that night, without my bf i wouldve been on my own that night. it was a really big shock, of course guards didnt care! :rolleyes: we'd csi galway out the night day though! :)

Advertisement