Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag Bastards Broke Into My House Last Night

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Hmm I just contacted Eircom regarding the phonewatch thing, it's costing E1139 to install.. christ.

Can I ask where you live? Roughly?

Right up beside Citywest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

tallus wrote: »
    Hmm I just contacted Eircom regarding the phonewatch thing, it's costing E1139 to install.. christ.

Sounds like you're about to be robbed again

PK2008 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're about to be robbed again

At least the theiving scum have the decency to wear a ski mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Wibbs wrote: »

Bars on the windows may sound like overkill but it will slow the scum down. Maybe get together with the neighbours and see about buying in bulk to reduce costs? Double glazing is often easier to bypass than old single glazing. You can pop most window panels out of the frame unless they're security frames. You can retrofit security to them though. Even the simple and cheap method of removing the panel, running a silicone bead and refitting them will slow the scum down. Get one of those floor safes and sink it in the concrete if you have any small valuables. Think in layers. Like with car security. The more layers, the more time it takes the scum and the more likely they'll move on to some other poor bastards place.

Yes, you need to slow them down. That frustrates already a majority of opportunistic break-ins. Be aware though that bars in front of windows may actually harm yourself at some stage (think of fires in the house and the need to get out quick).

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...And yes these people are scum. I for one don't rate all human life as equal. These "people"? Certainly not. When scum break into a home and carry knives they give up their rights as citizens of this country and the law should reflect that. A homeowner should have the right to remove or stop them by any means at their disposal.

In an ideal world, these people would be stopped early on in their career and even helped. They would get tougher sentences for first offences and rehabilitation during those sentences. There would be more resources for the guards and the guards should concentrate more on these kind of crimes. But since this doesnt appear likely to happen any time soon...

Completely agree here. If they decide, repeatedly, to live outside the rules of the community/society they live in than they have no business crying out for their "human" rights when it comes to punishment.

I know it's a bit harsh and I am not advocating it as such but just to reflect the feelings that came up after being broken into myself some years back: I would have no problems handing over the guys who did it to these lads:

[URL="[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/0danzig1/K98Rifle.jpg[/IMG]"]K98Rifle.jpg[/URL]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

They are not the only game in town in terms of monitored alarms, have a Google. Even a plain old alarm would be better than nothing.

They are not the only game in town in terms of monitored alarms, have a Google. Even a plain old alarm would be better than nothing.

Cheers for that dude.. I googled and there are alarms for less than half that price.
    Kudos!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Cheers for that dude.. I googled and there are alarms for less than half that price.
    Kudos!

Once knew a guy who fixed an empty white plactic box to the side of his house with a battery powered LED at the top of it.

Looked just like an alarm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PK2008 wrote: »
    Once knew a guy who fixed an empty white plactic box to the side of his house with a battery powered LED at the top of it.

Looked just like an alarm :D
    An alarm is a deterrant. It going off attracts attention, which may frighten off some burgulars. It seems without a deterrant, your house may become someones monthly paycheque... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think it might be a bit harsh to label these people as scumbags. Now don't get me wrong, I don't for a moment condone their actions, but it is important to realise that these people are the product of their environment. They are more than likely stealing to feed their family, or to pay the mounting bills. We are living in a time when it is becoming increasingly difficult for even the average people in society to secure the funds necessary to live in the comfort they are accustomed to, and it follows naturally that those who were below this level before the recession hit are going to be in a dreadful position now. All the emotions you are feeling are perfectly natural, but I would enjoin you to consider the reason why these people were forced to break into your home and steal from you.

My momma told me there'd be people like you!.

But for the love of sweet baby Jesus I didn't believe her, but your here!... I wish I could touch you, to see if your real!.

Tallus, dammit I'm so sorry to see evil has crossed your path again.

Getting a dog is something I'd seriously consider, in fact get two dogs (its easier to look after two esp. if your working).

Something noisy and territorial like a German Shepard, Dobberman etc (large dogs) or something small like a Westie, Jack Russell or mostly any kind of terrier.

Rotties, Pitbulls and Staffordshire Bull Terriers look the business, but they're too soft and people friendly.

I do think your best bet is a dog, and maybe ask the local guards for advice on home security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Scien wrote: »
    Since hearing that I always make sure to hide my valuables, lock my bedroom door and even chain up my bike inside the house (if I'm going away for the weekend).

When are you going away next?.. ¬¬

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

The point of entry.

Do those widows have those locks built in? You know, a little lock in the handle and you need a little window key to open it. Than again, I wonder if burgers would be able to deal with them quickly enough...

Do those widows have those locks built in? You know, a little lock in the handle and you need a little window key to open it. Than again, I wonder if burgers would be able to deal with them quickly enough...
    Aye they do. I didn't have it locked at the time.
    I had a window guy out earlier, and the Insurance company want to send out their own people to view the damage.

Never a dull moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I know it may not be what you want to hear, but you really have to get into the habit of locking your windows when you don't have them open, and not leave the keys in the lock.

Sorry if this is obvious, but good preperation will prevent further break ins.

Best of luck with the insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Sorry to hear about the robbery op, its a terrible violation when your property is invaded by strangers.

the long on the short of the matter is 1. we have to make it difficult for them to break in and
    2. when they are caught there needs to be a proper punishment, it no use saying that poor johnny grew up with bad parents, a bad neighbourhood , never stood a chance etc etc at the end of the day you need a deterrent.

i would propose 1 chance, on conviction they get a sentence of rehabilition be it courses, training etc on the 2nd chance they get 20years of hard labour.

theres too much pussyfooting around with criminals and its time they were made to pay for their crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I love Tallagth. They tried to steal my car last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

sorry for your troubles. Yeah, I sure hope the b^stard(s) gets mauled by 3 rotweilers:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

did op not say they broke the window? how do you stop glass breaking

The window was probably broken to reach the handle (going by the picture tallus posted) to open it to get in. If it had been locked they'd had to crawl through all the glass left in the frame and chances of injury and leaving traces had been much higher. Make it as time-consuming, uncomfortable, difficult and painful as you can for these bastards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

merengueca wrote: »
    With British law you can only attack if your life is in danger. Rule of thumb being that a burgalar downstairs while you are upstairs is not threatening your life. However, if the scumbag was to come up stairs it would not be unreasonable for you to assume that they plan to do you harm.
    Now, what you can use as defence is also tricky - guns, baseball bats, hurls, knives are not usual items to be found in a bedroom, so, using them appears to show some level of pre meditation into your attack. However, 4" stiletto, Maglite torchetc... This was explained to me by a policeman after my break in..

The following man speaks the truth:
    Anyway, by law you're allowed defend yourself with reasonable force when you're attacked but should retreat if you have the chance. Someone breaking into your house is considered an attack, and you're not required to retreat.

You are authorised to use appropriate force to protect your home, even before they attempt to attack you: You are not required to retreat to the bedroom or whatever. However, this is where legal theory and reality diverge. Unless you are well trained in martial arts, or at least, fairly well armed you are going to be taking a serious risk by confrontation.

Of course, even the latter is irrelevant if you're not actually home.

NTM

• Advertisement
Advertisement