Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mayo becoming a no-go area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Leave Mayo alone, it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I think it was that one I was reading last week and there was a piece on Crank 2 starring Derek Statham. The sheer amount of mistakes in all 3 of the Mayo papers is woeful. One of my favourite things in the morning is to read through them circling any mistakes, of which there are many.
    Ah the Westerns film reviews. They brush aside conventional notions of grammar, spelling, punctuation and taste to really stand out from other critics.

Ah the Westerns film reviews. They brush aside conventional notions of grammar, spelling, punctuation and taste to really stand out from other critics.

I was quite interested in their review of Wes Craven's reamake of his own film Last House on the Left, though I found their Lord of the Rings piece years back to be the best. Ian McShane lead the fellowship of 7 characters to the shire to destroy the ring. Was quite a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Mayo is a local county for local people

Dude, you are sort of wading in to dodgy territory there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think it was that one I was reading last week and there was a piece on Crank 2 starring Derek Statham. The sheer amount of mistakes in all 3 of the Mayo papers is woeful. One of my favourite things in the morning is to read through them circling any mistakes, of which there are many.

That reminds me of the scene in the film Hot Fuzz where the spelling mistake journo gets bumped off by the villagers because he was an embarrassment, wonder would Mayo people do the same? :D

• Advertisement

The FACT which is NOT being reported is that both the stabbings in Westport & Kiltimagh were perpetrated by people resettled from DUBLIN!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if this upsets some people, but if you can't handle the TRUTH, then that's your prob m8.:o

From the Galway news.

20 year old Eddie Sweeney with an address at New Street, Ballinrobe and his cousin 21 year old Paddy Sweeney from Bog road in Ballinrobe were charged with causing bodily harm to 27 year old John Francis Reddington in the Co. Mayo town on the 16th of August.

25 year old James Sweeney from Glendallon in Co. Sligo was charged with assault causing bodily harm to Jonathon O'Malley in Ballinrobe on the same date.

Right so Jack the lad. What part of Dublin do these guys come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Silicate

Thankyou lightening for clearing that up. dubs me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 HowAreYeGettinO

Right so Jack the lad. What part of Dublin do these guys come from?
    Jack may yet be proved to be talking sh1te, but in his defence he was only talking about the Westport & Kiltimagh incidents.

The arrests lightening mentions were for the Ballinrobe incidents.

Silicate wrote: »
    Thankyou lightening for clearing that up. dubs me hole.

The could still be from Dublin though.

At the end of the day does it really matter where they're from? What matters is that they are punished for what they did and hopefully incidents such as this wont happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

For those not from the area: Sweeny is a name commonly (although not exclusively) found among the travelling community in the West of Ireland.

• Advertisement

The could still be from Dublin though.

At the end of the day does it really matter where they're from? What matters is that they are punished for what they did and hopefully incidents such as this wont happen again.
    There arent, there locals, born and breed. take it from me.

They aren't locals, take it from me. See how easy it is for someone to come along and argue against you. You need proof to back up your statements as otherwise it's simply an opinion.

Some of Jack the lads comments, seemingly he has an inside lead from the Gardai.
    Fuuckin blow-ins!

The FACT which is NOT being reported is that both the stabbings in Westport & Kiltimagh were perpetrated by people resettled from DUBLIN!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if this upsets some people, but if you can't handle the TRUTH, then that's your prob m8.

a very good friend is part of the Garda investigating team, so i have the inside track.

But the rest of Dublin ****ty is a greasy armpit, especially the North and West. Unfortunately inbred knackers from these areas are now moving West, with their bad complexions, trackies, supped-up micras, and hideous haircuts.

dublin knackers need no lessons...

The "gentlemen" that stabbed people in both Kiltimagh & Westport are both originally from Dublin's less celubrious suburbs.

Don't take my word for it! You only have to look at their respective bebo pages. Jackeens everyone!

Once the cases come to court you will see i'm correct.

So, what part of Dublin are they from?

Where are they from?

lightening wrote: »
    Where are they from?
    The 3 guys that did the attacks in ballinrobe were from ballinrobe, I cant make my point any clearer im afraid, im not trying to start a bitching session or whatever just look at the new at 9, theyve been living here all there lives, there all 5 mins from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 asdf123

One of them is from Ballinrobe for as long as I can remember, one of the brothers (the younger of the two) moved here a few years ago, (dont know where from) and the other brother is from Sligo and was down for a christening.. I know this because Im from Ballinrobe, and don't need a source!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 asdf123

The 3 guys that did the attacks in ballinrobe were from ballinrobe, I cant make my point any clearer im afraid, im not trying to start a bitching session or whatever just look at the new at 9, theyve been living here all there lives, there all 5 mins from me.

Even on the news you will see that one will have a Sligo address, his family all moved here a few years back, except for him as far as I know, maybe others waited there too, I dont know.. But he has never lived here. Was just here for a christening, which happened to be the christening of the younger brother's child.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Taliban Christians maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JACK_the_LAD

I was ONLY referring to the Kiltimagh & Westport incidents.
    I stand by them, both perpetrators were ORIGINALLY from Dublin and resettled in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JACK_the_LAD

As you can clearly see from my posts I was ONLY referring to the Kiltimagh & Westport incidents.
    I stand by them, both perpetrators were ORIGINALLY from Dublin and resettled in Mayo.

Regarding the Ballinrobe incidents I cannot say exactly where these "gentlemen" hail from, but word on the street is they are settled travellers, and as such might be from anywhere. (Travellers move about a lot. Even so-called settled ones!)

The Bray killer was also from Dublin. Dalkey I believe.

Dublin certainly produces a dis-proportionate number of killers/knackers/knifers, but then again so do most cities so I wouldn't take it to heart.
    I am reliably informed there are some very nice people in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Got some info from some travellers i know today , the people / family involved in a lot of the recent events in Mayo have been involved in trying to extort protection money from other travellers in recent times, :( Pure scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Wonder what the travellers rights group have to say about this

Community relations 'set back 20 years' in crime row
    Conor McMorrow
    ON19 December 1981, four Travellers broke into the home of 83-year-old Mary Connell in Caherlistrane, a remote area of Galway near the Mayo border. The gang departed empty-handed, leaving Connell tied by the neck and legs to a chair.

After their botched robbery attempt, they bought women's tights to make masks for another raid.

This second raid, later the same evening, took place less than ten miles from Padraig Nally's house in Cross, and is one of the events that has shaped the relationship between the settled community and Travellers in Mayo over the past quarter of a century.

On that evening, the four . . .

Charlie Conroy, 31, and his younger brother Eddie, 18, both of Bog Road, Ballinrobe, their brother-inlaw James Cleary, 24, of The Neale and Martin Ward, 19, of Cullen Road, Headford . . .

broke into the home of the elderly Gilmore brothers in Hollymount, Co Mayo. After they arrived at the Gilmores' door, a struggle ensued that left both Eddie and Peter Gilmore seriously injured after being hit with the leg of a stool.

John Gilmore, who had been out visiting friends, returned home to find his brother Peter lying in a pool of blood on the floor and his other brother Eddie lying under the stairs. Eddie died in the house shortly after he was discovered and Peter died in hospital less than a week after the attack.

Charlie Conroy was later jailed for life for murdering Eddie Gilmore, while Eddie Conroy, along with Cleary and Ward, was convicted of the manslaughter of Eddie Gilmore and of assaulting Connell.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

criminals in Ireland may come from any socio economic group but I believe it is time for a serious in depth study by social scientists to establish the facts regarding the incidence of crime from the minor level to the gravely serious among what may be reasonably termed a particular or identifiable socio/economic group.Violent crime seems to occur,even in areas one would assume to be normally peaceful.The study should research and establish the statistics relevant to age,sex,criminal records etc of the convicted and ,of course,importantly,the social and economic background of victims.I am not an expert in this field, but I believe that reliable crime statistics would give the public a clearer picture of what is an extremely worrying area and help society and the appropriate authoritities to address the problems more effectively .Excuse ,if this burst of spiel is offside but I'm responding to the myriad of posts appearing in relation to the alarming and horrendously violent incidents of recent times.It would obviously be of benefit if we could be more objective and try to avoid any natural bias in our response to serious crime and the alarming incidence of anti social behaviour,which may also be viewed as worryingly criminal.Let's identify the areas that require attention and urgent remedial action for the benefit of all.Let no group feel that they are being unfairly judged by the law abiding majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 love porter

gurramok wrote: »
    Huh?

Its Mayo, the feckin distant rural Ireland, it cannot be compared to a big city yet it has many violent incidents occurring in the last few weeks, what is it thats causing it, the water perhaps?:D

exactly, 3 incidents in the space of a couple of weeks, oh my mayo... ballinrobe has become rough... and dangerous.... I am suprised some of ye can use a computer your that silly... Mayo might not be heard of again for a couple of years.. get real people

majority sweeneys and 2 from the town.....fact

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

exactly, 3 incidents in the space of a couple of weeks, oh my mayo... ballinrobe has become rough... and dangerous.... I am suprised some of ye can use a computer your that silly... Mayo might not be heard of again for a couple of years.. get real people

That's borderline on abuse.
    Don't do it again.

Don't do it again.

how is that borderline on abuse are you mad

If you have nothing to constructive to contribute take your ranting elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Don't do it again.

See above.

Banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement